Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Why is Houston's defense still bad?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#41 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:46 PM

Regarding our pace and scoring 120-140--that's all relative...what matters in regards to that is point differential which is something we do need to improve on...I don't have the numbers, but in another post I removed the "blow-out" scores--both wins and losses--and doing that yielded a point spread in the decimals in our favor--basically breaking even--which reflects our record more or less.  Improving our point differential is the key--this will happen in all the ways you both have mentioned so there is really no problem.

Improved play from the PF, a back-up center that can defend, and a wing defender, plus overall improvement from everyone will help this and should happen.  Morey's on the job--you can count on that.

#42 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

Hustling back on defense on a consistent basis in itself will bump us up significantly in defensive efficiency. As for the back up C position, we need to find someone who can hold it down for just 18 minutes (less than that in the playoffs where Asik will play more minutes). All we need is a Marcus Camby type of guy. Lock defense is very overrated when you have someone in the middle to protect the paint, all you have to do is funnel everything towards him. Just look at how the Magic had a bunch of bad defenders surrounding Dwight and were still a top defensive team.   

#43 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:03 AM

McHale in an interview yesterday regarding why our transition defense is so bad:

“Transition defense is a direct correlation to how many turnovers we’re having,” he said. “If we keep our turnovers low, our transition defense is okay. Our defense in the half-court has been pretty solid almost all year long, but then we shoot ourselves in the foot with having 12-to-15 turnovers from half-court to the top of the key, or free throw line to the half-court – those are almost impossible to come back on. Where we also get in trouble in transition is when a long rebound comes out and we don’t track it down; it gets tipped out and they get out and run.

“We worked on our transition defense again. I thought we had that bugaboo out of the equation a little bit but it kind of crept back in with a bunch of new guys. There are certain things in our league where experience – you just can’t replace it. Transition defense is one of them. I’ve got to be processing who’s running down, how far you’re ahead. If I’m a big, I’m trying to get back to my big, but if I can’t I’ve got to take your guy. Then as soon as I can, I’ve got to change with my guard and get matched up. All that stuff requires a lot of communication and a lot of thought that is not conscious thought, but it’s just repetition where you kind of (naturally) do it. We had that but now it’s kind of a new group and we’re back to fighting it a little bit.”

-via Rockets.com

So basically, the bad transition D is a product of our high turnover rate which is a product of our inexperience.

#44 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

That. And the fact that defense is overrated.

#45 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,137 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:33 PM

That. And the fact that defense is overrated.

False.  Defense is underrated which is why so few players, and subsequently teams, are very good at it.

#46 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 3,216 posts
    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:40 PM

I read an analytics article where the studies indicated offense does win more games than defense, and that's why so many teams are going small sacrificing defense for offense. At the time I thought it made a compelling argument.

#47 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,125 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

I read an analytics article where the studies indicated offense does win more games than defense, and that's why so many teams are going small sacrificing defense for offense. At the time I thought it made a compelling argument.

not in the playoffs

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#48 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,137 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:03 PM

That is interesting 2016, but I question that to some degree.

In basketball the offense has the advantage as they can almost always get a shot off that has a chance of going in (Monta Ellis).  Add to that the rules on fouling and defensive spacing (3 second rule) and it becomes a difficult task.

Presuming we have all watched college basketball--where the athletic disparity is more pronounced from say, Kansas, versus a smaller school.  Yes, offense is easier, but they simply destroy on the defensive end getting steals, rebounds, blocking shots, and forcing difficult shots from the perimeter resulting in tons of fast-break points.  Even if Kansas were to suffer their worst shooting performance of the year they would still win.

Offense, in the NBA, is valued so highly because there is not enough of an athletic disparity (for most players) to overcome the handicap put in place by the rules and the inherent offensive advantage.  If a team can acquire a player like Dwight, Ben Wallace, Larry Sanders, KG, Lebron, Scottie Pippen, etc.  then the defense becomes important again.

Shots are still going to fall, but that must be handled on the other end where, ideally, you also have good offensive players that can then outscore the opponent with greater ease.

This is why no team built entirely around offense has ever succeeded.  Offense is generally streaky while defense is relatively consistent.

Every single NBA roster has guys that can "fill it up"...it's the ones that can also lock it down that rise to the top.

#49 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 3,216 posts
    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:13 PM

In the playoffs defense might be more important, but there have been quite a few Lakers teams that won championships with a dominant offense and just okay defense so it's not impossible. 

#50 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,137 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

In the playoffs defense might be more important, but there have been quite a few Lakers teams that won championships with a dominant offense and just okay defense so it's not impossible. 

OK defense?  If you say so...

#51 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,125 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

thejohnnygold:

I totally agree

wrong those lakers teams had kareem they were good defensively.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#52 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,137 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:21 PM

Also had Worthy, Cooper, AC Green, and Magic Johnson wasn't bad

#53 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,125 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:22 PM

just thinking about those laker teams a few names come to mind besides kareem. how about cooper. ac green , rambis, scott, just to name a few. thinking that just because they scored a lot of points that there was no defense is simply untrue.

JG you beat me to the punch on that one :lol:

#54 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 3,216 posts
    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

I didn't even mention which Lakers team I was talking about lol

#55 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,125 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

I didn't even mention which Lakers team I was talking about lol

well then name one to back up your statement

#56 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 3,216 posts
    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:37 PM

LA vs SAS 2001 WCF = win for the offense

Indiana vs LA 2000 finals = win for the offense

PHI vs BOS vs LA 1980 ECF and Finals = wins for the offense

LAL vs ORL 2009 Finals = win for the offense

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying LAL didn't play any defense at all, but they were not the better defensive team in those match ups. I still think defense wins more times than offense wins, but there have clearly been exceptions to this rule. 

#57 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,137 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:04 PM

I will not take the time to collectively refute each of those years...I think you're a little mistaken on this one.

#58 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 3,216 posts
    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

Take the time, I welcome your insight. 

#59 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,137 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:21 PM

Well, I will give you the short version

The 1980 Lakers were 6th in the league defensively.

The '00 Lakers had shaq, kobe, ron harper, ac green (still!) and john salley (former pistons bad boy)

The '01 Lakers had shaq, kobe, harper, Rick Fox (underrated), and horace grant (underrated)

The '09 and '10 Lakers had kobe, and 3 7-footers (Bynum, Gasol, Odom) as well as ron artest ('10) and shannon brown.

The notion that these teams did not play good defense is just something I cannot believe.

#60 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 3,216 posts
    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

Me: Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying LAL didn't play any defense at all, but they were not the better defensive team in those match ups. I still think defense wins more times than offense wins, but there have clearly been exceptions to this rule. 

You: The notion that these teams did not play good defense is just something I cannot believe.

No offense, but it seems like you're having a slight problem with reading and comprehension. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users