Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.
@  Mario Peña : (13 September 2015 - 05:24 PM) Sad to see Moses pass. I don't remember watching him as a Rocket but I do remember his Philly and Hawks teams. He was the perfect man to mentor Dream. It's a very sad day for his family and friends and there are many.
@  majik19 : (12 September 2015 - 09:01 PM) i just saw a post wishing Yao Ming a happy 35th birthday... am I the only one whose mind is blown that he's only 35?
@  cointurtlemoose : (08 September 2015 - 01:17 AM) aaaah, thanks jorge
@  jorgeaam : (08 September 2015 - 12:21 AM) Love it how Hinkie and Morey always target the same players, but hoping he isn't another Covington
@  thejohnnygold : (08 September 2015 - 12:03 AM) Christian Wood has signed with Philly
@  jorgeaam : (07 September 2015 - 10:32 PM) If I'm not wrong, he hasn't been waived yet, they have until october 4th to do that
@  cointurtlemoose : (07 September 2015 - 05:39 PM) Anyone else surprised that Kostas hasn't gotten picked up by anyone yet? I wanna see that guy play somewhere
@  redfaithful : (05 September 2015 - 10:48 PM) Llull line from today loss to Serbia: 30MIN 1-10PG, 0-5 3PG, 4-4FT 6AST, 1TO, 4REB, +/- -11
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html

Photo

J Smooth

• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#41 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:51 PM

Honeycutt was cut last week to make room for the Aaron Brooks signing

Whoops, that is right. Sry, replace the word Honeycutt w/ Brooks in my post haha.

#42 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

I don't think surrendering assets for Smith is very good for the team.  It would cost too much.  They aren't taking our trash for him.

I personally think LaMarcus Aldridge is the missing piece, but we'll have to wait 2 more seasons for his free agency. I'm not even close to being sold on Josh Smith. He shoots way too many outside shots and at a low percentage. Not sure why the Rockets would pay big bucks for that type of unnecessary production.

#43 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,122 posts
    • Locationhouston

I don't think surrendering assets for Smith is very good for the team.  It would cost too much.  They aren't taking our trash for him.

right now if he walks they get nothing so anything we give them will be a plus for them, not that i'm in favor of doing a S%T for j-smith

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#44 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,122 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:52 PM

Keep in mind the Rockets have to save some cap space for Chandler Parsons once his rookie contract ends. He's gonna earn a big payday, and I can't think of anyone who deserves it more than Parsons.

when parsons comes up we have his bird rights so we can exceed the cap to sign him

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#45 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 891 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

I actually thought that we had enough to sign both as well but then did some more research on it and thought I was mistaken. There is something funky with Asik and Lin's contracts. It's my clear to me how much cap space they actually will be using up next year (some places indicate around 5 mil each, others over 8 mil each).

With the way the cba works, we pay Lin and Asik (physically) $5M/5M/15M BUT they both only count toward ~$8M toward our cap. So for cap purposes, they are $8M. If they had been signed to their original team, however, they would have been 5/5/15, thus a poison pill plan by Morey. It is because they are a certain type of player that slides in under the cba (like first contract renewal of players who started at x date or something like that -- I forget the details), so this rule applies.

What I am NOT sure about, and would be interested in knowing, is if we trade them to X team, would they count as $8/8/8 or 5/5/15? I assume 8/8/8 because the latter seems very unfair, but pft, the whole rule seemed unfair to me in the first place /shrugs haha.

#46 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,865 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:55 PM

What nobody else is really talking much about is the 3rd year of Asik's and Lin's contracts. It's about an $8 million dollar hit per player for the Rockets but 2 years down the road, their contracts, if traded, would be something like $15 million each. The positive for the acquiring team is they would be acquiring an expiring contract. For us, we should be able to receive a more valuable piece in return.

Not that I am advocating to trade either of them. I would like to see both have long, successful careers as Rockets because if they were still Rockets that would mean we are making noise in the Championship hunt!

#47 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPipPip
      • 891 posts
      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

to get howard S&T is the only way because he is going to want the extra money that will bring. j-smith we can sign out right. yes asik would have to be moved in the S&T with either t-jones or t-rob, but it can be done. part of our pitch to howard may be to have both him and harden along with j-smith for our own version of the big3

Unfortunately, under the new cba, Howard would NOT get the benefits of a S&T. Players can no longer get a better deal through a S&T than if they had just signed w/ that team they ended up going to. In other words, we can't S&T Howard from LAL after LAL give him a 5th yr or the extra % $$$. Howard has no real reason to want a S&T, unless he's trying to go to a team that can't afford him without getting rid of some assets (though he would not get paid more for doing it), like Brooklyn (not 100% sure on this last point I'm making, but confident in the first point).

#48 Jason

Jason

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 361 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:57 PM

right now if he walks they get nothing so anything we give them will be a plus for them, not that i'm in favor of doing a S%T for j-smith

ATL might just throw a bunch of money at him now though, out of fear of getting nothing by him just walking. They could keep him for another year or so and then trade him. It'll be interesting to see how the offseason plays out. Honestly, I see the Sixers resigning Bynum for the same reason and I see Howard staying with the Lakers for the money. Not sure where that leaves us in terms of signing someone.

#49 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 4,122 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:57 PM

I actually thought that we had enough to sign both as well but then did some more research on it and thought I was mistaken. There is something funky with Asik and Lin's contracts. It's my clear to me how much cap space they actually will be using up next year (some places indicate around 5 mil each, others over 8 mil each).

both asik and lin will only count against the cap for 8mil next year, but if we move 1 of them and cut a few others bam we'er there

#50 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,865 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:58 PM

when parsons comes up we have his bird rights so we can exceed the cap to sign him

That's true to a point, but we would still likely be in luxury tax territory. The first year isn't so bad, but it becomes prohibitively more expensive each year thereafer with the new CBA.

#51 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPipPip
          • 891 posts
          • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:58 PM

Maybe not trash, but how about a deal centered around Asik? Asik + Tjones + White, or need be, Asik + TRob + White?

#52 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 3,216 posts
          • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:59 PM

I don't understand how this new CBA works with backloaded contracts, I've always thought that this was accurate http://hoopshype.com...ies/houston.htm in the sense that Asik and Lin make almost 15m in 2014/15. But there were a couple of people here who said that only 8m of that 15m counts towards the salary cap, does anyone have a link that supports this claim?

#53 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPipPip
          • 891 posts
          • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

I don't understand how this new CBA works with backloaded contracts, I've always thought that this was accurate http://hoopshype.com...ies/houston.htm in the sense that Asik and Lin make almost 15m in 2014/15. But there were a couple of people here who said that only 8m of that 15m counts towards the salary cap, does anyone have a link that supports this claim?

http://www.hoopsworl...ts-team-salary/

Also how espn trade machine counts it toward the cap in trades :P It is also discussed this way in an article I read and something that David Weiner (BimaThug over at clutchfans, who is SUPER knowledgeable about the cba) mentioned in a podcast, I believe. I start getting my sources mixed up after awhile. I hit it and quit it, unlike JG haha.

edit: this article offhandishly mentions it: http://hangtime.blog...r-felton-trade/

second edit: found it. like all cba rules, it has a funny "player name" provision: I give you the Gilbert Arenas provision!

http://www.cbafaq.co...larycap.htm#Q44

#54 Jason

Jason

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 361 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

I don't understand how this new CBA works with backloaded contracts, I've always thought that this was accurate http://hoopshype.com...ies/houston.htm in the sense that Asik and Lin make almost 15m in 2014/15. But there were a couple of people here who said that only 8m of that 15m counts towards the salary cap, does anyone have a link that supports this claim?

This is quite confusing to me as well

#55 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,290 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:06 PM

If I'm Portland is think hard about a asik trob jones pick for Aldrige if I was under the impression he wanted out. That offer would of course pend on Howard signing. Lin Harden Parsons Aldrige Howard would be nasty

#56 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPipPip
              • 891 posts
              • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:07 PM

This is quite confusing to me as well

See my above post.

#57 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPipPip
              • 891 posts
              • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:09 PM

If I'm Portland is think hard about a asik trob jones pick for Aldrige if I was under the impression he wanted out. That offer would of course pend on Howard signing. Lin Harden Parsons Aldrige Howard would be nasty

omg, as rocketrick mentioned, I too would fawn over LMA. I now want LMA more than KLove, even though LMA does not fit in the HOU philosophy on offense. He just is too efficient from midrange, and would confuse the heck out of the opposing teams...we could shoot from anywhere on the floor w/ good efficiency! :P

I'd love Portland to think about a trade like that, but I don't think they'd agree w/o Parsons being in the mix. Could happen and my fingers are crossed!

Would be even more sick if we signed D12 this offseason already...again, why I am a proponent of signing D12. If we got Howard, we could trade Asik and not be the worst team in the league on defense. Without Howard, I am not making that Asik-packaged trade because I think it'd hurt us more than help us.

#58 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPip
              • 1,865 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:11 PM

http://www.hoopsworl...ts-team-salary/

Also how espn trade machine counts it toward the cap in trades :P It is also discussed this way in an article I read and something that David Weiner (BimaThug over at clutchfans, who is SUPER knowledgeable about the cba) mentioned in a podcast, I believe. I start getting my sources mixed up after awhile. I hit it and quit it, unlike JG haha.

edit: this article offhandishly mentions it: http://hangtime.blog...r-felton-trade/

second edit: found it. like all cba rules, it has a funny "player name" provision: I give you the Gilbert Arenas provision!

http://www.cbafaq.co...larycap.htm#Q44

Keep in mind that although Lin and Asik count about $8.5 million each year on the Rockets cap, they are being paid about $5 mllion each per year for the first 2 years. So if the Rockets were to trade either or both, the effect on the either end of the trade will not be what is counting against  Rockets cap. It makes sense if you think about it for just a second. If the Rockets paid Lin or Asik $10 million for 2 full seasons (about $5 million earned year 1, about $5 million earned year 2), then trade either of them, he would still have $15 million on his contract to be paid by the acquiring team. Morey read the rules and it is clear that the team who has a player sign an offer sheet in free agency is allowed to average out the full amount of the contract for cap purposes..

#59 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPipPip
                • 891 posts
                • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:12 PM

Way I see it, unless I am overlooking a cba rule related to S&Ts besides the "player not getting the benefit" aspect, we'd only be able to manage a  double signing if we S&T'd for Smith from ATL for Asik + TRob or Asik + White + TJones. We would have had to first sign Howard to a max contract as well (not after).

edit: if rocketrick is right about the impact on the acquiring team's cap, above Asik deal might not work since he'd only be in yr 2 and count as $5M to the acquiring team's cap (even though he was $8M on the cap for us).

#60 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 4,122 posts
                • Locationhouston

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:13 PM

this is how the cba works we can do a sign and trade with the lakers, but he can still only get a 4 year deal. asik and lin's cap hit will be 8/8/8 to the new team if traded. so what we would need to do to get both is do howard under sign and trade and sign j-smith outright. if we remove either lin or asik salary we have the necessary room with just minor adjustments

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users