Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.
@  Mario Peña : (13 September 2015 - 05:24 PM) Sad to see Moses pass. I don't remember watching him as a Rocket but I do remember his Philly and Hawks teams. He was the perfect man to mentor Dream. It's a very sad day for his family and friends and there are many.
@  majik19 : (12 September 2015 - 09:01 PM) i just saw a post wishing Yao Ming a happy 35th birthday... am I the only one whose mind is blown that he's only 35?
@  cointurtlemoose : (08 September 2015 - 01:17 AM) aaaah, thanks jorge
@  jorgeaam : (08 September 2015 - 12:21 AM) Love it how Hinkie and Morey always target the same players, but hoping he isn't another Covington
@  thejohnnygold : (08 September 2015 - 12:03 AM) Christian Wood has signed with Philly
@  jorgeaam : (07 September 2015 - 10:32 PM) If I'm not wrong, he hasn't been waived yet, they have until october 4th to do that
@  cointurtlemoose : (07 September 2015 - 05:39 PM) Anyone else surprised that Kostas hasn't gotten picked up by anyone yet? I wanna see that guy play somewhere
@  redfaithful : (05 September 2015 - 10:48 PM) Llull line from today loss to Serbia: 30MIN 1-10PG, 0-5 3PG, 4-4FT 6AST, 1TO, 4REB, +/- -11
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html

Photo

J Smooth

• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#21 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

I don't want to check my message center. I prefer to post here only

I think you missed the fact that blake is a moderator lol.

#22 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:14 PM

I don't want to check my message center. I prefer to post here only

Ok.  I can deal with that, just don't go complaining when actions are taken against you.

#23 Jason

Jason

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 361 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:16 PM

I'm not saying that Asik is overall better. Obviously Howard is better offensively, but by how much? If he's a better rebounder and defender it's not by much. Now he is a significantly better shot blocker, no doubt about that. But I just feel like we have our center and wouldn't want to bench or get rid of Asik. PF is what we need and Josh Smith fits perfectly on our team.

#24 Jason

Jason

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 361 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:18 PM

Ok. I can deal with that, just don't go complaining when actions are taken against you.

Lol. Omg are you serious? Calm down dude! We're just having a discussion!

#25 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,125 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

I think most of us agree that if howard walks away from LA Houston will be in the mix to sign him and that is priority #1.  I've got no problem with that.  I would argue that 80% healthy Howard would do as much for us as 100% of Josh Smith....possibly more.  If he does get healthy then yay for us.  I find the guy impossibly hard to like....but it only matters if his teammates and coach like him....for that matter I don't find J. Smith all that likeable either....from a fan's perspective.

#26 Jason

Jason

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 361 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

I think most of us agree that if howard walks away from LA Houston will be in the mix to sign him and that is priority #1. I've got no problem with that. I would argue that 80% healthy Howard would do as much for us as 100% of Josh Smith....possibly more. If he does get healthy then yay for us. I find the guy impossibly hard to like....but it only matters if his teammates and coach like him....for that matter I don't find J. Smith all that likeable either....from a fan's perspective.

I don't like Howard at all, I will admit it. He got a coach fired in Orlando, forced his way out, then goes to the Lakers and is still unhappy while basically half stepping through the season until now. I just can't see myself cheering for or being a fan of the guy. But I'm assuming that would probably change if he were to suit up as a rocket.

#27 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 4,122 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

I think most of us agree that if howard walks away from LA Houston will be in the mix to sign him and that is priority #1.  I've got no problem with that.  I would argue that 80% healthy Howard would do as much for us as 100% of Josh Smith....possibly more.  If he does get healthy then yay for us.  I find the guy impossibly hard to like....but it only matters if his teammates and coach like him....for that matter I don't find J. Smith all that likeable either....from a fan's perspective.

true both howard and j-smith are diva's, but howard brings more to the table. j-smith just doesn't say contender to me and howard does well put JG

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#28 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
          • 1,562 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:25 PM

Lol. Omg are you serious? Calm down dude! We're just having a discussion!

Plenty calm, you'd realize that if you had checked your message center and seen the reason for me trying to get your attention.  Also, yes I am serious.  Nobody said to stop having a discussion?

#29 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
            • 4,125 posts
            • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:25 PM

Jason, it's none of my business...so pardon me for sticking my nose in it...

I recognize that this is a public board.  It belongs to all of us and it is a privilege to use it.  If, and when, the mods feel compelled to contact you it is always with the greater good in mind so that we all can continue to enjoy this forum.  I have been contacted before...it's not a big deal.  I think we can all agree that without the mods this place would degenerate into what most sports boards are so quickly our heads would spin. :blink:

I like having you here...you are always initiating good conversation...I hope you stay around.

#30 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPipPip
            • 891 posts
            • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:27 PM

I'm not saying that Asik is overall better. Obviously Howard is better offensively, but by how much? If he's a better rebounder and defender it's not by much. Now he is a significantly better shot blocker, no doubt about that. But I just feel like we have our center and wouldn't want to bench or get rid of Asik. PF is what we need and Josh Smith fits perfectly on our team.

Sure, but you could package a deal around Asik for a great PF. Just saying, signing Howard upgrades our team while leaving us with more options. It's a good position to be in. 

And Howard and Smith seem equally unlikable to me lol. 

#31 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 4,122 posts
            • Locationhouston

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

again well said JG

I recognize that this is a public board.  It belongs to all of us and it is a privilege to use it.  If, and when, the mods feel compelled to contact you it is always with the greater good in mind so that we all can continue to enjoy this forum.  I have been contacted before...it's not a big deal.  I think we can all agree that without the mods this place would degenerate into what most sports boards are so quickly our heads would spin. :blink:

I like having you here...you are always initiating good conversation...I hope you stay around.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#32 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPipPip
            • 891 posts
            • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:31 PM

Oh my, I hope it wouldn't come to that -- I prefer Jason being around as well. Though I can't say I care for his demeanor and tone a lot of the times, I think he does spark a lot of debate and is a very active participant on the boards in such a short period of time.

#33 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 4,122 posts
            • Locationhouston

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:32 PM

Sure, but you could package a deal around Asik for a great PF. Just saying, signing Howard upgrades our team while leaving us with more options. It's a good position to be in. 

And Howard and Smith seem equally unlikable to me lol. 

I have looked and with a little cap manipulation we could sign both. phaketrash what do you think of that?

#34 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPipPip
            • 891 posts
            • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:39 PM

I have looked and with a little cap manipulation we could sign both. phaketrash what do you think of that?

Wait, you're saying it is possible to sign both Howard and Smith? I assume you mean we do a S&T w/ one of the teams that hold the rights to Howard or Smith and get rid of Asik? I think under cba rules, there are certain limitations to a S&T if we're over the cap, so we'd have to essentially give out as much as we're taking in...which means most likely it'd have to be a S&T w/ ATL rather than LAL. Asik + ? to get to that $14M starting that JSmoove will command? Not sure if we'd have to renounce Delfino already or what to make room for a Howard signing, so he might not even be on the table. White's $1.5M contract is certainly there...along w/ TJones'.

#35 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPipPip
            • 891 posts
            • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:44 PM

I think if we let Garcia's contract expire and don't pick up Delfino's K or Honeycutt's or Anderson's, we'd be looking at probably around $17-19M in cap space. Even that seems too little to sign D12, but let's say we can offer D12 a max. Little wiggle room then :X This all assumes the cap next yr will be close to the current $58M in cap. It helps a bit if it is significantly higher, but note that Howard (and Harden's) K may change w/ the cap.

#36 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
            • 4,125 posts
            • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:44 PM

I don't think surrendering assets for Smith is very good for the team.  It would cost too much.  They aren't taking our trash for him.

#37 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,865 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:46 PM

I think if we let Garcia's contract expire and don't pick up Delfino's K or Honeycutt's or Anderson's, we'd be looking at probably around $17-19M in cap space. Even that seems too little to sign D12, but let's say we can offer D12 a max. Little wiggle room then :X This all assumes the cap next yr will be close to the current $58M in cap. It helps a bit if it is significantly higher, but note that Howard (and Harden's) K may change w/ the cap.

Honeycutt was cut last week to make room for the Aaron Brooks signing

#38 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 4,122 posts
              • Locationhouston

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:48 PM

to get howard S&T is the only way because he is going to want the extra money that will bring. j-smith we can sign out right. yes asik would have to be moved in the S&T with either t-jones or t-rob, but it can be done. part of our pitch to howard may be to have both him and harden along with j-smith for our own version of the big3

#39 Jason

Jason

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 361 posts

I actually thought that we had enough to sign both as well but then did some more research on it and thought I was mistaken. There is something funky with Asik and Lin's contracts. It's my clear to me how much cap space they actually will be using up next year (some places indicate around 5 mil each, others over 8 mil each).

#40 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPip
                • 1,865 posts

Keep in mind the Rockets have to save some cap space for Chandler Parsons once his rookie contract ends. He's gonna earn a big payday, and I can't think of anyone who deserves it more than Parsons.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users