Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

The Ups and Downs of "Tanking"

tanking draft trades player evaluation

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Voecklen

Voecklen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:05 PM

So what do the Rockets need to do, in your opinion, to jump from mediocre to elite?

When people ask this question usually they're asking "What players should the Rockets get and how?" There's really a much more important part of a overall team improvement than just the player part but I'll throw out one scenario. I wrote above

"As to my plan, it's basically as the article states. Largely keep the players the team has and make incremental improvements for the next year. Right now (meaning post trade deadline) I see this team as a 47-50 win team for a whole season given a reasonable (average) amount of injuries. I really want to keep Dragic and Lowry next year and then figure out who to keep between Lee and Martin. Using that nucleus, bringing Motiejunas in and improvements to Parsons game plus whatever the draft brings (if anything) would yield a team capable of winning 50-54 games. At that point, you're knocking on the door and the options available for the future expand.I'm sure you don't like it and that's fine.The likelihood of it happening is slim. We will see what Morey has planned. "

What I wrote above was a general way I would proceed given where the team is at now. You're asking how to get to elite so I'll add a piece. Using what I've said above, sign Kevin Garnett this summer as a free agent. There's your elite team. Probably won't happen as he'll likely want to stay in Boston but if he's available, I think the Rockets have to consider him seriously.

As to the other, more important part of team improvement, it really gets down to over-all management improvement and all it's various aspects such as player development, coaching, scouting, etc. I'm not going to go into that as I don;t know enough about the inner workings of the Rockets to comment. I will give you a podcast link where Henry Abbott and David Thorpe discuss many of these topics. Long talk but well worth it. It's excellent.

http://espn.go.com/e...play?id=7755610

#22 Voecklen

Voecklen

• Members
    • Pip
    • 26 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:51 PM

Interesting read on the development of Utah this year. I see a lot of the Rockets in this article.

http://www.hardwoodp...of-expectation/

#23 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
      • 1,547 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:11 PM

Another very interesting article on the topic: http://www.basketbal...?articleid=2203

#24 Lyfestyle

Lyfestyle

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 182 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:16 PM

Abbott with a nice post using some of the data we've linked: http://espn.go.com/b...nking-even-work

#25 Forrest Walker

Forrest Walker

• Members
          • Pip
          • 30 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:06 AM

I've had to read so much about this issue in the past couple of years as a Rockets fan, and I think I've come to a conclusion: tanking doesn't work, but it works better than anything else, sort of.

It's easy to cite that a huge amount of NBA champs drafted their best players, usually at a very high spot. It's the path that leads to success the most often. However, it's a path that also usually leads to failure. 3.3% of the NBA wins a title each year. Nothing you do is going to give you very good odds.

Basically every major dynasty since Jordan has come from a once in a generation player. The Bulls had the best player of all time and didn't win a ring for 7 years. The Spurs were a solid, good team who managed to have a single incredibly bad season and get one of the best 4s of all time. The Rockets lived in relative mediocrity for a very long time before those two rings. Kobe was yet another example of L.A. bilking someone. And then Sha1 was around for a few rings, none of them with the team that drafted him. This leaves out Miami, Dallas and Detroit. Miami and Dallas had their centerpiece drafted, at very different places.

So really that leaves Detroit.

The problem is that these aren't really the teams that tank. To win a ring you need to be a good team. And being a good team makes it very hard to get that far up the draft. The best case scenario seems to be either already be a good team and get a HOF shoo-in player in a bolt of lightning (Celtics, Lakers, Spurs) or be a less-good team that learns how to be good after picking up that player (dallas, miami, houston, chicago).

I dunno. I feel like the rate of return on tanking vs not tanking is like 2% chance of it really paying off if you tank, and a 1% chance if you don't or something. Certainly a big difference, but still nearly nothing either way. I think the more important aspect is to be a good, well run team. But I guess also to get really high draft picks.

It's an very hard choice, and I don't think it's even a little bit obvious which is going to be the better course of action.

#26 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 4,125 posts
            • Locationhouston

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:44 AM

I for one am aganst tanking. not only does it ruin the quality of the game but, I agree with dunots you have to be a good team b4 you can be a great team as all stats bare out (unless you get lucky really lucky). until then you continue to make small steps to improve the team. what I think is a good course of action is to trade players who have value but don't fit the team to get draft picks from other teams (and always try to trade for unprotected picks) do like the rockets are presently doing. I think morey is doing an outstanding job we simply are going to have to wait for the right situation to arise b4 we can make our move. but if you don't prepare by hoarding assets, when that situation arises you won't be ready

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#27 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,184 posts
            • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

One of the things that drives the whole tanking ethos is that you need your own pick to be in or around the top of the lottery. But in theory there's nothing to stop a good team from making a trade that nets them a high pick in the draft and then turning that into a superstar. It's just that the opportunity to trade for a high pick doesn't come around very often. History would seem to show that you can sometimes get one by trading for a pick with lottery protection, negotiating it such that the protection comes off over time, and then getting lucky with the pick such that it doesn't come to you until the lottery protection is gone. Kind of like how New Orleans have now ended up with an unprotected Timberwolves pick. That's kind of long term thinking though, because it will usually take a long time for the protections to expire.

Alternatively, you have to make deals with the Clippers or Nets :P.

#28 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 4,125 posts
            • Locationhouston

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:48 PM

sir thursday i agree there are teams who seem like wheather they get high draft picks or not they are always in the lottery ie nets,bobcats,washington. I would try to make a deal with one of them for future unprotected drafts picks and continue building my team until one of those draft picks land in the right spot. using this approach by the time I get that draft pick I will already have a supporting cast.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tanking, draft, trades, player evaluation

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users