Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.
@  Mario Peña : (13 September 2015 - 05:24 PM) Sad to see Moses pass. I don't remember watching him as a Rocket but I do remember his Philly and Hawks teams. He was the perfect man to mentor Dream. It's a very sad day for his family and friends and there are many.
@  majik19 : (12 September 2015 - 09:01 PM) i just saw a post wishing Yao Ming a happy 35th birthday... am I the only one whose mind is blown that he's only 35?
@  cointurtlemoose : (08 September 2015 - 01:17 AM) aaaah, thanks jorge
@  jorgeaam : (08 September 2015 - 12:21 AM) Love it how Hinkie and Morey always target the same players, but hoping he isn't another Covington
@  thejohnnygold : (08 September 2015 - 12:03 AM) Christian Wood has signed with Philly
@  jorgeaam : (07 September 2015 - 10:32 PM) If I'm not wrong, he hasn't been waived yet, they have until october 4th to do that
@  cointurtlemoose : (07 September 2015 - 05:39 PM) Anyone else surprised that Kostas hasn't gotten picked up by anyone yet? I wanna see that guy play somewhere
@  redfaithful : (05 September 2015 - 10:48 PM) Llull line from today loss to Serbia: 30MIN 1-10PG, 0-5 3PG, 4-4FT 6AST, 1TO, 4REB, +/- -11
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html

Photo

Draft Time

Draft

• Please log in to reply
197 replies to this topic

#181 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:22 AM

Agreed, Canaan can fill AB's spot and at a much better value. I believe most were expecting AB to be cut, this should be the final nail in that coffin. Unless Morey can package Canaan and T-Rob somehow. That seems unlikely now that the Draft has concluded though.

I'm glad in one sense that Morey valued T-Rob and just wasn't going to get T-robbed for a mid- to late 2nd round draft pick.

Now things become more interesting as to what moves the Rockets make to get under the cap by the time free agency starts. Or maybe Morey and company know something the rest of us don't, some sort of a sign and trade with the Lakers in which case T-Rob probably would have much better value

IIRC the Lakers are so far over the cap that the new CBA bans them from receiving players in a sign-and-trade deal. But I'm sure as a trade asset Robinson will have a use somewhere.

ST

#182 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:03 AM

IIRC the Lakers are so far over the cap that the new CBA bans them from receiving players in a sign-and-trade deal. But I'm sure as a trade asset Robinson will have a use somewhere.

ST

it prevents them from recieving a player VIA S&T, as in they can't S&T Chris Paul, but if Howard leaves on a S&T they can get someone as long as the money match up in the normal trend sense. (Rockets end up under the cap and/or trade money is reasonably similar.)

#183 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 506 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:18 AM

Rockets could have drafted Glen Rice Jr at 34 but apparently his off court issues trumped whatever the Rockets believed Rice could possibly bring to this roster.

I guess that's the thinking, we'll see eventually, listening to his interview I just find it difficult to believe he's off court trouble should be THAT big of a red flag , unless the Royce White experience have scared them into avoiding anyone with any implication of off field trouble ever. (but then this is a 2nd round pick here. guaranteed contracts)

Canaan is a nice shooter, a decent insurance if one of Bev / Lin gets hurt and keeps some options relatively open. I'll go out on a limb and still say that Rice will likely end up as a starter, and passing that up for backups is never going to look too good, just like all 25+ teams don't look good passing up Chandler Parsons whatever their thinking / concern was.). Not sure if Washington's the best place for Rice to succeed depending on if they keep Martell Webster or Traver Ariza  though, but Beal have not been the healthiest guy ever either.

I generally find the tweener arguments silly, there's this piece of a look back on old drafts on ESPN and one hilarious part was when teams passed up on Dwyane Wade because they thought he was a tweener too, even Miami had their doubts, yeah that was stupid. can the guy ball or not? I get the argument if he's like too short or something but tweener arguments are rarely about that.

For the Draft overall, for a supposedly bad draft this sure was wild and exciting as almost nothing happened as expected, all the mocks missed by a mile, no one even got the #1 pick right.  and several teams make franchise redefining moves.  that just don't happen too often.

Teams draft I really like

Utah

Washington

Philly

Atlanta

teams that I think messed up.

Wolfs

Cavs

Pistons

teams that almost messed up but made enough moves to recover 

Boston 

Mavricks

#184 manmythlegend

manmythlegend

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 185 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:42 AM

Canaan reminds me of a taller version of Nate Robinson.

#185 Dan G

Dan G

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 246 posts
        • LocationEast Texas

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:27 PM

Rockets could have drafted Glen Rice Jr at 34 but apparently his off court issues trumped whatever the Rockets believed Rice could possibly bring to this roster.

I'm quite sad we didn't pick Glen Rice Jr. I agree with RBF that Rice has a chance to be something special. And IMO we needed a back up SG over a third string PG. I guess we can use him as a backup SG but still, I would have much rather of taken the risk and drafted Rice.

Edited by Dan G, 28 June 2013 - 12:29 PM.

:lol: All in the game, yo, :D all in the game :lol:!

#186 Freebird

Freebird

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 236 posts
        • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:55 PM

We have a backup SG - his name is Lin.  :)  And while Rice had some nice attributes, dominating D League talent doesn't always translate to NBA goodness.

Missed the Muscala draft pick, and good point on our stashed C.  Forgot about that.

Not moving TRob makes me wonder if there is some sort of bigger trade in the works.  Howard to us, Aldridge to LA, and we send stuff to Portland?  Off to play with the Trade Machine!

#187 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,290 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:42 PM

Apparently we also signed Robert Covington. A 3/4 from Tennessee st.

#188 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 4,122 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:38 PM

We have a backup SG - his name is Lin.   :)  And while Rice had some nice attributes, dominating D League talent doesn't always translate to NBA goodness.

Missed the Muscala draft pick, and good point on our stashed C.  Forgot about that.

Not moving TRob makes me wonder if there is some sort of bigger trade in the works.  Howard to us, Aldridge to LA, and we send stuff to Portland?  Off to play with the Trade Machine!

as for rice I think he was on the rockets board........they just liked canaan better. the following pick philly took rice. even tho they traded him it meant sam hinkie knew rice's value, but had a better offer on the table also. so the teams (the rockets and philly) knew of his value.

as for canaan..........I trust Morey. I have seen a couple of reviews and most draft experts agree he should have gone in the first round yet we got him at 34. looks like Morey still bucking for that GM of the year award :lol:

as for not moving t-rob.........I have to agree.....it may mean something bigger is in the works. Morey seem pretty sure of himself in the after draft interview. may be leading up to that Lin trade I want :rolleyes:

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#189 Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 214 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:00 PM

What's really interesting about the Canaan pick is that to a certain extent it bucked the statistical-based talent evaluation that is supposedly the guiding principle of Rocket's management.  My understanding is that most advanced stats had Rice as the better pick, but that the Rockets liked Canaan better based on more traditional scouting methods.  I don't know what to make of that, other than perhaps Morey is utterly pragmatic in his management philosophy and is willing to take multiple perspectives into account.

#190 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
            • 4,125 posts
            • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:19 PM

"Can't keep up with the method to my madness.....?"

i1f6uM5Ezgn4b.gif

#191 manmythlegend

manmythlegend

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 185 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:53 PM

What's really interesting about the Canaan pick is that to a certain extent it bucked the statistical-based talent evaluation that is supposedly the guiding principle of Rocket's management.  My understanding is that most advanced stats had Rice as the better pick, but that the Rockets liked Canaan better based on more traditional scouting methods.  I don't know what to make of that, other than perhaps Morey is utterly pragmatic in his management philosophy and is willing to take multiple perspectives into account.

Or maybe it's a not-so-subtle hint to Lin that he needs to make significant and consistent strides next season if he hopes to stick around in a Rockets uniform. 

#192 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
              • 4,125 posts
              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:20 PM

Maybe--seems like a value pick.  The guy should have been gone by the time it got to us.  He seems more like a combo-guard to me and should fit in well with our rotation.  Has incredible range and solid D--another "3 and D" guy.  Plus he just fits Morey's mold...according to draftexpress, he excels at iso penetration, pick n roll, three point shooting, and drawing contact (fouls)....sound like anyone else we know?

I think this can work.  James Anderson has the size and skills to slide to back-up SF to make room for him.  Gives us a back court of Harden, Lin, Bev, and Canaan.  Parsons/Anderson at SF.  I can dig it.  Plus, T-Jones or D-Mo can potentially put in time at SF as well.  (I so want to see the Rockets trot out Harden (6'4"), Parsons (6'10"), D-Mo (7'), Dwight (6'11" allegedly), and Asik (7').)  Could you imagine the look on the other teams' faces? :o   I don't necessarily think this line-up would be our best, I just want to see it for a quarter or so.  Defensively, just play off the guards and let them try and shoot over the top--we should get the vast majority of the rebounds.  Offense?  Post up against the smallest dude!  One of D-Mo/Parsons are going to have a SG/SF on him (unless opponent adjusts)--should have no trouble posting them.  Dwight and Asik grab rebounds and dunk the misses!  If the opposition tries to match and go big then we kill them with the speed of Parsons/D-Mo/Harden.

Check out this pic of D-MO!  He makes that grown man look like a child :lol:

BM0x2d0CEAAr9bO.jpg

#193 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 4,122 posts
              • Locationhouston

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:53 PM

@JG

I disagree.......while I do agree the pick was a value pick, I also think the rockets can be starting to prepare for a different kind of team. this kid is clearly a primed shooter. the kid average 21pts per game last year. he shot only 37% from 3 last season, but shot 40% for his career. the rockets may be starting to reel in more shooters if they think they have Howard. in addition if they have a deal on the table for Lin it only makes sense to reel in another PG. :P

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#194 manmythlegend

manmythlegend

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 185 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:08 PM

@JG
                I disagree.......while I do agree the pick was a value pick, I also think the rockets can be starting to prepare for a different kind of team. this kid is clearly a primed shooter. the kid average 21pts per game last year. he shot only 37% from 3 last season, but shot 40% for his career. the rockets may be starting to reel in more shooters if they think they have Howard. in addition if they have a deal on the table for Lin it only makes sense to reel in another PG. :P

As I said before, he's a slightly bigger version of Nate Robinson. An undersized shooting guard who plays at the point due to his undersized stature.

#195 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                • 4,125 posts
                • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:25 PM

@JG

Ha...anything that might resemble getting rid of Lin gets your heart rate up :P

#196 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPipPip
                • 506 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:51 AM

I don't doubt Morey overall but let's be honest that his draft record is mixed at best. of course everyone miss a lot in drat, but Morey certainly don't buck the trend at least. 

#197 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 2,008 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:40 AM

50%. That's what the logo said you should hope to be in the draft.

#198 huitlacoche

huitlacoche

• Members
                    • Pip
                    • 16 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:15 PM

Never heard of Canaan until today, but from watching the draftexpress scouting video, he looks like a Gary Neal type player, except even shorter.  I don't think Lin nor Bev have anything to worry about from him.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Draft

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users