Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.
@  Mario Peña : (13 September 2015 - 05:24 PM) Sad to see Moses pass. I don't remember watching him as a Rocket but I do remember his Philly and Hawks teams. He was the perfect man to mentor Dream. It's a very sad day for his family and friends and there are many.
@  majik19 : (12 September 2015 - 09:01 PM) i just saw a post wishing Yao Ming a happy 35th birthday... am I the only one whose mind is blown that he's only 35?
@  cointurtlemoose : (08 September 2015 - 01:17 AM) aaaah, thanks jorge
@  jorgeaam : (08 September 2015 - 12:21 AM) Love it how Hinkie and Morey always target the same players, but hoping he isn't another Covington
@  thejohnnygold : (08 September 2015 - 12:03 AM) Christian Wood has signed with Philly
@  jorgeaam : (07 September 2015 - 10:32 PM) If I'm not wrong, he hasn't been waived yet, they have until october 4th to do that
@  cointurtlemoose : (07 September 2015 - 05:39 PM) Anyone else surprised that Kostas hasn't gotten picked up by anyone yet? I wanna see that guy play somewhere
@  redfaithful : (05 September 2015 - 10:48 PM) Llull line from today loss to Serbia: 30MIN 1-10PG, 0-5 3PG, 4-4FT 6AST, 1TO, 4REB, +/- -11
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html

Photo

Will James Harden mature?

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#21 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:09 AM

If those guys are "average", Harden is abysmal.

Why so Serious? :D

#22 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:09 AM

I have hope that harden is embarrassed and steps it up this year.

#23 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,125 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:41 PM

I know Harden is not elite among NBA athletes, but let's not lose perspective.  We are talking about who is elite among the elite.

This dunk right here is very athletic.  This dunk used to get "10"s when performed in dunk contests--these days, we are dunk-spoiled because of guys like Vince Carter, pre-injury Dwight, and Blake Griffin.

The next video is the Anti-Harden-No-Defense Video.  It's nothing but 16 minutes of James scoring every way you can think of.  I think James is quicker than people suspect and more explosive too.  What really separates him from other athletes is his elite coordination.  Watching the below video, one can really see that's the secret to his success and (good news for us) coordination does not fade nearly as fast as the other things.

Most of you know I disagree with the Harden bashing over his defense.  We agree that a better effort is needed for the team to improve.  After that, the muck-raking and poo-flinging that goes on is rampant and better left to the trolls from other fan bases.  This issue has more depth than his supposed ego, maturity, and laziness.

#24 Journeymany

Journeymany

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:05 PM

I absolutely think that Harden can be an at least average defender, if not a very good one. The only question is does he *want* to do that? So for me, this next season is actually quite a key one in terms of his development - does he continue not to give a ****, or does he admit to past failings and become a genuine 2-way player? Fingers crossed for the latter, as then I think he'd be in MVP contention.

#25 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 3,216 posts
    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:52 PM

I think he can be an average defender at the SF position, which will be made more possible now that we have Ariza to defend SG's. 

#26 txtdo1411

txtdo1411

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 197 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:04 PM

JG thank you so much for posting that video. It is crazy how good or bad a player can look by picking and choosing what clips to include in a 16 min. video. Some of those passes he makes are just unreal. The two to D-mo back to back starting at the 7:25 mark are very high level of difficulty. There are only a few players in the league that can make those passes. 

#27 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 342 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:24 PM

I know Harden is not elite among NBA athletes, but let's not lose perspective.  We are talking about who is elite among the elite.

This dunk right here is very athletic.  This dunk used to get "10"s when performed in dunk contests--these days, we are dunk-spoiled because of guys like Vince Carter, pre-injury Dwight, and Blake Griffin.

The next video is the Anti-Harden-No-Defense Video.  It's nothing but 16 minutes of James scoring every way you can think of.  I think James is quicker than people suspect and more explosive too.  What really separates him from other athletes is his elite coordination.  Watching the below video, one can really see that's the secret to his success and (good news for us) coordination does not fade nearly as fast as the other things.

Most of you know I disagree with the Harden bashing over his defense.  We agree that a better effort is needed for the team to improve.  After that, the muck-raking and poo-flinging that goes on is rampant and better left to the trolls from other fan bases.  This issue has more depth than his supposed ego, maturity, and laziness.

That step back jumper is LETHAL!

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#28 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,125 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:42 PM

JG thank you so much for posting that video. It is crazy how good or bad a player can look by picking and choosing what clips to include in a 16 min. video. Some of those passes he makes are just unreal. The two to D-mo back to back starting at the 7:25 mark are very high level of difficulty. There are only a few players in the league that can make those passes. 

It's true.  Anyone can be made to look good or bad in the media.  Here is an article about Paul George's "bad defense".  Everything gets overblown nowadays and little is as bad, or good, as it is made out to be.

I know the Paul Pierce comparison has been made for James Harden, but I think Baron Davis might be a closer approximation.  Davis had a wider array of moves and was a better passer, but he played the game in a similar style to James with relentless, fearless attacking of the basket, the ability to force/absorb contact and still finish, plus a deep shot that made defenders pay for sagging off him.  Presuming Harden will continue to add to his arsenal of moves and that his passing instincts will also develop this is a definite possibility in terms of his potential.

#29 TheHolyBeardedOne

TheHolyBeardedOne

Rookie

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 74 posts
    • LocationAltus, Oklahoma

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:51 PM

Hardens comments today were in my mind not necessarily a bad thing. But with him making these types of comments mean he is ready to take over the team and become the leader he should be, or is it just him basically saying that Howard and him are the only 2 good players?  Him making those comments means we should see him taking over the offense, making good decisions, and playing the best defense he can play. 

I'll guess we will wait and see 

#30 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,596 posts
    • LocationAlabama

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:05 PM

Wow. I just read the comments. That sounds like he is immature. It might be true, but you don't denigrate your team members like that. If I was a teammate of his, I sure as hell wouldn't like that.

I know he was speaking about losing Parsons, but that quote was dumb.

Hopefully the "role player" Ariza can talk to him. But since he's a cornerstone he probably doesn't care what role players think.

All of my eggs are in the Howard being the leader basket.

#31 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 342 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:07 PM

Wow. I just read the comments. That sounds like he is immature. It might be true, but you don't denigrate your team members like that. If I was a teammate of his, I sure as hell wouldn't like that.

Hopefully the "role player" Ariza can talk to him. But since he's a cornerstone he probably doesn't care what role players think.

Link to this interview?

#32 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,596 posts
    • LocationAlabama

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:07 PM

Just type james harden into google.

#33 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 342 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:09 PM

james harden into google.

Just kidding thanks. :lol:

#34 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,125 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:51 PM

If anyone on this roster besides James and Dwight think they are stars then they are delusional.  There is nothing wrong with being an NBA role player.  80-85% of the league probably falls into that category.  James is not a politician and I think we are being reminded of why he doesn't speak to the media very much.  This will blow over soon enough....and then be dredged back up no less than 11.5 times over the course of the season whenever chemistry questions arise...or whatever other hot topic surfaces.  Ultimately, it is a complete non-issue in my book.

#35 txtdo1411

txtdo1411

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 197 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:52 PM

It's not that big of a deal. I am pretty sure 100% of people would agree with him. He didn't put any players down. Role player isn't a derogatory term. Everyone has a role. His and Dwight's are to be the leaders of the team. Other players are there to round out the roster, and complete the team just like he said. It might piss Chandler off because in his mind he is more than that, but it is what it is. I guarantee Beverley, Ariza, Jones, Daniels, Dmo, Canaan and whoever else makes the roster agree with him. They are the stars, and for better or worse have to deal with being the star players. They get the most credit for success, and they get blasted the most when something not so great happens. If Harden wasn't a "cornerstone piece" this article never would've been written. Why should everyone know something, agree with it, and then blast Harden for saying it. 

Edited by txtdo1411, 24 July 2014 - 08:54 PM.

#36 RudyT1995

RudyT1995

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 228 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:59 PM

Harden's comments are consistent with what I saw on the court last year.  Almost every time Parson's tried to take charge of the offensive playmaking and Harden didn't get a touch, Harden's body language changed.  Harden would look a little more detached, almost as if he was saying "seriously?"  When Lin pulled stuff like that, Harden would just yell at him.  I don't remember Harden yelling at Parsons, but he would kind of check out when Parsons did it.

It's going to be interesting to see how Harden responds to being the sole playmaker on the team.  He won't be wanting for touches this year that's for sure. 

#37 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPipPip
      • 671 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:11 PM

It's true.  Anyone can be made to look good or bad in the media.  Here is an article about Paul George's "bad defense".  Everything gets overblown nowadays and little is as bad, or good, as it is made out to be.

I know the Paul Pierce comparison has been made for James Harden, but I think Baron Davis might be a closer approximation.  Davis had a wider array of moves and was a better passer, but he played the game in a similar style to James with relentless, fearless attacking of the basket, the ability to force/absorb contact and still finish, plus a deep shot that made defenders pay for sagging off him.  Presuming Harden will continue to add to his arsenal of moves and that his passing instincts will also develop this is a definite possibility in terms of his potential.

I agree that anyone can look godlike or terrible with highlight clips. But as a rocket fan who watched every game last year, its tough to argue that he is improving. I didn't see a different in effort in playoffs and regular season as well as from last year. So we will see this year if there is any improvement in effort. He doesn't need to be all nba defensive player but at least lead by example in the playoffs. We will have to wait and see, but I hope he takes the next step this year.

#38 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 2,596 posts
        • LocationAlabama

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:14 PM

I know everybody else is a role player, but saying that is dumb IMO. What is the point of saying that. I know he probably didn't mean anything derogatory to his teammates, but that's the way it came across, at least to the media and public(we don't know how PBev, Ariza, etc... received it).

#39 txtdo1411

txtdo1411

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 197 posts
        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:37 PM

I know everybody else is a role player, but saying that is dumb IMO. What is the point of saying that. I know he probably didn't mean anything derogatory to his teammates, but that's the way it came across, at least to the media and public(we don't know how PBev, Ariza, etc... received it).

Well the media blows everything out of proportion, so of course they are going to spin it to make a story out of it. They want hits, and the best way to get that is make stories where there really shouldn't be one. Harden said basically the exact same thing Howard said, and neither of them were wrong in saying it. They should be confident in their own abilities to win with or without Parsons.

Now they have posted Parsons reaction on ESPN Dallas... The media has created this "feud" and are going to ride it as long as they can. It will all blow over once actual basketball starts getting played again, and there is no need for this break-up back and forth business to garner hits.

#40 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 342 posts
        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:43 PM

Well the media blows everything out of proportion, so of course they are going to spin it to make a story out of it. They want hits, and the best way to get that is make stories where there really shouldn't be one. Harden said basically the exact same thing Howard said, and neither of them were wrong in saying it. They should be confident in their own abilities to win with or without Parsons.

Now they have posted Parsons reaction on ESPN Dallas... The media has created this "feud" and are going to ride it as long as they can. It will all blow over once actual basketball starts getting played again, and there is no need for this break-up back and forth business to garner hits.

The media is also notorious for taking statements out of context to add spin/create conflict as well. Maybe there was more said before or after the selected quote that is a bit more team mate friendly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users