Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Houston Rockets decline to match on Chandler Parsons, sun rises Monday morning

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 dkh750il

dkh750il

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:38 PM

It seems like Morey does not have a overall vision of this championship team. Wheels are spinning but where are we going?

If we must trade our assets (players) then it should go with the vision of what this team needs- but it appears that Morey just "swings for the fences" not providing an overall strategy. Here are some of my examples:

1. clearly if the games vs trailblazers are any indication- we need a better coaching staff. No plays after critical timeouts, or worse, the standard Harden dribble down the clock and heave a last second 3, no screens, no ball movement. Can you say that the Rockets are using D12 correctly? Or is anyone holding Harden to account on D? Players need to be inspired, and held to account, and to believe in the system .

2. No front office/coaching teamwork- I remember in the 12-13 season when Morris/Patterson/Aldridge was traded- They asked McHale about it and he just shrugged his shoulders and said he can only work with the team he has and not the team he wants. Does Morey consult with his coaching staff with changes or just drops a hammer like a dictator?

3. Is there a vision for a team? I mean we went after Melo/Bosh/LeBron etc. Melo is not a fit for us- 2 ball dominant players do not work! When you look at teams like OKC/CLIPPERS/SPURS/BLAZERS there is team chemistry! We are always saying how people don't fit- i.e. LIN/ASIK- this is the fault of the front office, not the players.

#22 uojoe82

uojoe82

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 123 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:41 PM

Just heard that Darryl Morey is getting a divorce. He said he would like to gain some flexibility to chase Victoria Secret models.

#23 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,125 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:41 PM

@sax

WELCOME TO THE FORUM :) Parsons could have been extended, but was due to gain more in FA. so the chance he would choose that path is slim

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#24 dkh750il

dkh750il

• Members
      • Pip
      • 15 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:46 PM

"Just heard that Darryl Morey is getting a divorce. He said he would like to gain some flexibility to chase Victoria Secret models."

LOL. I almost took that seriously for a moment.

#25 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,865 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:58 PM

It seems like Morey does not have a overall vision of this championship team. Wheels are spinning but where are we going?
          If we must trade our assets (players) then it should go with the vision of what this team needs- but it appears that Morey just "swings for the fences" not providing an overall strategy. Here are some of my examples:
          1. clearly if the games vs trailblazers are any indication- we need a better coaching staff. No plays after critical timeouts, or worse, the standard Harden dribble down the clock and heave a last second 3, no screens, no ball movement. Can you say that the Rockets are using D12 correctly? Or is anyone holding Harden to account on D? Players need to be inspired, and held to account, and to believe in the system .
          2. No front office/coaching teamwork- I remember in the 12-13 season when Morris/Patterson/Aldridge was traded- They asked McHale about it and he just shrugged his shoulders and said he can only work with the team he has and not the team he wants. Does Morey consult with his coaching staff with changes or just drops a hammer like a dictator?
          3. Is there a vision for a team? I mean we went after Melo/Bosh/LeBron etc. Melo is not a fit for us- 2 ball dominant players do not work! When you look at teams like OKC/CLIPPERS/SPURS/BLAZERS there is team chemistry! We are always saying how people don't fit- i.e. LIN/ASIK- this is the fault of the front office, not the players.

Aldridge? The Rockets had Aldridge in 2012-13 season and traded him? That was so horrible I guess I forgot.

Sorry, I totally disagree with your take on certain people like Lin/Asik who clearly don't fit with Harden and D12. ---Sigh--- I guess some people will just never get it. So blame the Coaches and front office for Lin and Asik inability to fit with this team.

None of us are saying Lin and Asik are bad players. The fact is quite the opposite. They are solid NBA players. Unfortunate timing in that they came before Harden and D12. Otherwise, they likely would have never been here to begin with.

Time to move on.

#26 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,290 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:02 PM

All the teams you mentioned with "good chemistry" have two ball dominate players.

#27 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 2,597 posts
            • LocationAlabama

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:16 PM

1) losing Lin will not be addition by subtraction unless you're talking about this board... Lol.

2) Asik was not negligible, unless you completely throw out the Blazers series.

Why so Serious? :D

#28 Derik K

Derik K

• Members
            • Pip
            • 2 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:31 PM

I've never posted on any of these things before, but I had to create an account just to address something that's really been bugging me. I keep hearing and reading, from even seemingly intelligent and rational analysts like Rahat, words such as "blunder" and "miscalculation" when address Morey's decisions this offseason.
              This is to suggest there is no luck whatsoever that goes into building a championship team. But I know that no one would argue that. Of course there is luck. Player injuries. Draft lottery placement. And in our case, waffling and stunning reverses by a star player that was pretty much committed to us.
              So I'll make the poker analogy, as you have done a couple times, Rahat. Yes, Morey pushed all his chips in and lost. But when a professional poker player gets it all in with the best hand, and the other player sucks out by hitting a 4-outer, do the analysts say the pro made a blunder or a miscalculation? No of course not, he played it well and got unlucky.
              So, why in God's name do we keep saying this about Morey? Is David Griffin a better GM than Morey because he god Lebron?? No, of course not. Because he got lucky.

#29 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
              • 4,137 posts
              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:31 PM

Ha, uojoe82--if you look at those 3 rosters and think ours is the worst then that's all I need to know.  Dallas has two of New York's starters from last year--does that sound like success?  Raymond Felton....

646892a82f0e2951e8f767ab4aa7c49db149fd8b

We all like Tyson Chandler, but he can barely stay healthy and is not the player he was a few years ago.  That being said, he's still better than anyone they had last year.

The Pellies?  If you ignore medical history then yes, that's a good looking team.  Not sure I'd put them ahead of Houston yet.  Once you realize they have no depth and are an Eric Gordon injury (seriously, shouldn't we all be going to Vegas and betting on that?) and an Anthony Davis wrist fracture (he falls down a lot) away from watching Tyreke Evans take 30 shots a game while Jrue Holiday's head explodes once he realizes that Asik can't handle his passes.  Oh, and Ryan Anderson....what do they do with him and his broken neck?

#30 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPipPip
              • 548 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:33 PM

I thought they might all be gone by now.

Alas, that is not the case :(

Wait until the press conferences and player intros on the west coast then maybe they'll make like Dobie Gray..

#31 dkh750il

dkh750il

• Members
                • Pip
                • 15 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:55 PM

"All the teams you mentioned with "good chemistry" have two ball dominate players."

I think it helps when just one of the ball dominant players is the pg.

westbrook, lillard, cp3, parker

#32 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                  • 2,310 posts
                  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:29 PM

These are some of the worst ideas I have ever seen posted on this forum. I suggest you move to another forum asap or just stop posting and start reading and learn from posters here, please.

How sweet it is!

#33 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPip
                  • 1,865 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:03 PM

I've never posted on any of these things before, but I had to create an account just to address something that's really been bugging me. I keep hearing and reading, from even seemingly intelligent and rational analysts like Rahat, words such as "blunder" and "miscalculation" when address Morey's decisions this offseason.
                    This is to suggest there is no luck whatsoever that goes into building a championship team. But I know that no one would argue that. Of course there is luck. Player injuries. Draft lottery placement. And in our case, waffling and stunning reverses by a star player that was pretty much committed to us.
                    So I'll make the poker analogy, as you have done a couple times, Rahat. Yes, Morey pushed all his chips in and lost. But when a professional poker player gets it all in with the best hand, and the other player sucks out by hitting a 4-outer, do the analysts say the pro made a blunder or a miscalculation? No of course not, he played it well and got unlucky.
                    So, why in God's name do we keep saying this about Morey? Is David Griffin a better GM than Morey because he god Lebron?? No, of course not. Because he got lucky.

Hey Derik, Welcome to the Red94 Forum and a lot of us would be happy to see you contribute more often when you have the time and compunction (is that the word I'm looking for here?)........

I pretty much agree with your poker assessment. I think Rahat is thinking about the additional 1-year of Parsons that the Rockets could have had this season if they had chosen the team option for this season and allowed the Rockets 1 additional year of what is likely the most cap friendly contract in the league for a quality player like Parsons. And who knows how things would have turned out after that although I am of the mind Parsons would have then been gone after next season. It's all conjecture at this point.

Still, I think your poker assessment is a good analogy and I am glad Morey played his hand, so to speak. For 5 hours last Friday the Rockets had the best starting tandem in the NBA. Alas, Bosh chose the Miami lifestyle and money over a chance at additional rings.

#34 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPip
                    • 1,290 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:16 PM

I get that there's a lot of luck involved, if bosh commits and we match parsons no one thinks twice about making him rfa this year. But the only reason you do that is to keep him long term and we didn't. There was done precedent to parsons value coming into the offseason. Hayward turned Down a big extension from the jazz because he thought he could get max or very near max money. You could argue he's a little better than parsons but there at least in the same range. Maybe he leaves next year or maybe not but we could have had him for cheap and the same cap space we do now to still add a guy then maybe morey and crew are willing to pay more to keep parsons around and make a serious playoff run or two.

#35 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPip
                      • 1,865 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:32 PM

However, even by keeping Parsons this season then re-signing him would constrict what the Rockets would have been able to accomplish with the Salary Cap and the CBA Rules.

On Mark Berman's radio show earlier today, Parsons is quoted saying that he believes he is now a Max Franchise Player and he wanted to treated right now as a Max Franchise Player. That doesn't point to a player that is willing to sign a "friendly" contract with the Rockets, instead he would have chosen free agency under any circumstance in my opinion. Only if Bosh had chosen to come to Houston...................

I'm alright with the $15 million per year Parsons is getting, although probably 20% too high, but it was the poison pill contract that pointed Parsons to Dallas. Parsons effectively would have been non-tradeable and would have had a player option in 2016, the same season as D12. Both have the same Agent.

The Rockets would have been severely limited in acquiring the right role players in my estimation by committing the next 3 seasons to the Big 3 of D12, Harden and Parsons. Very likely would have turned out to be a similar result as in Orlando in 2009 especially after the Rockets pay Beverley at the end of this season.

Edited by rocketrick, 14 July 2014 - 09:34 PM.

#36 Derik K

Derik K

• Members
                        • Pip
                        • 2 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:59 PM

Yes, it would have been nice to have Parsons one more year, for under a million, in hindsight. But, when we were on the verge of signing Bosh, and then, presumably, bringing back Parsons, no one was saying it was a blunder that they declined their option on him. But because Bosh apparently went back on his word and pulled a 180, now it's a blunder for Morey? Because of us being unlucky in not getting Bosh? That's my point. I think Morey put us in the best place to form a super team, and got unlucky. Doesn't make the original decision a mistake.

#37 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
                          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                          • 4,125 posts
                          • Locationhouston

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:40 PM

@Derik K

totally agree..............rare for a new comer to have your insight 

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#38 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                          • PipPipPipPipPip
                          • 1,865 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:45 PM

Which is why Derik needs to come back to Red94 and continue to contribute!

So with the Rockets signing Capela and Troy Daniels today, here is the current roster as I see it:

D12
                            Harden
                            Beverley
                            TJones
                            Ariza
                            Motiejunas
                            Troy Daniels
                            Nick Johnson
                            Isaah Canaan
                            Covington
                            Capela

I know there are a couple of others with non-guaranteed contracts like Josh Powell but I'm not certain any of the NGC's as I call them will make the final roster. Perhaps some will compete for a chance in pre-season.

Assuming the Rockets don't trade any of the 11 players listed above, there is room for 4 additions. Not sure if Gentile will be signed this season, he may be a longer term prospect. LLuol remains interesting, too.

Thoughts???

#39 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                            • PipPipPipPipPip
                            • 1,865 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:47 PM

Rockets needs:

Veteran PG backup
                              Veteran Backup C
                              Veteran backup Wing

Edited by rocketrick, 14 July 2014 - 10:47 PM.

#40 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                              • 4,137 posts
                              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:54 PM

I like it.  I am trying to not get too excited about Gentile....got a good feeling about him.  Jermaine O'Neal, Bernard James (if he's healthy), Greg Stiemsma are all decent pick-ups at center.  For PG....I don't know....Sessions and Bayless are available.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users