Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

The Red94 Podcast: The healing process begins

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#21 SadLakerFan

SadLakerFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:56 PM

POPULAR

I'm a little more forgiving of the rabid Lin fans.  Lin is, for them a true role model in the NBA, something they never had before.  Yeah, Yao was Chinese, but he was also 7' 6" and so different it seemed like he came from another planet; Lin is someone that they can identify with.  As a result, I suspect that many of them are following basketball closely for the first time in their lives.  And, as we all know, once you start following sports on a daily basis, it gets very emotional.  I still remember when I was young, the pain I felt when Magic lost the ball with one minute to go in game 7 of the 84 Finals, sealing the Celtics eighth straight Finals victory over my Lakers.  If you're an older Rockets fan, I bet you can remember that horrible empty feeling when Stockton hit that three, and if you're younger, I bet you remember that moment during the 2008 playoffs, when Yao was diagnosed with a fracture in his foot.  That's one of the things that is great about sports - the human emotion. 

Lin shoots 20% from three in the playoffs?  If you're a Lin fan, that should be painful - every shot that clangs off the rim should feel like a punch to the gut.  That's OK, and it should be a pain that you share with other Rockets fans.  With the Lin fans, though, every failure by Lin seems to be cause for spewing hatred and bile against coaches, teammates and other fans.  It's because McHale criticizes him and destroys his confidence (I doubt any of them saw Pop and Tony Parker in the early days), or its because the horrible organization allows his ball-hogging teammates give him the ball in bad situations.   Every success generates comments not about Lin's contribution to the team, but about how Lin is "proving" that the "idiots" on the coaching staff, the front ofice, or on this forum, are wrong.  It's the antithesis of what team sports is supposed to be about - I think Lin would be embarrassed to meet many of these guys.

Edited by SadLakerFan, 12 July 2014 - 06:00 PM.

#22 QNoir

QNoir

Rookie

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 78 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:02 PM

In 2003, there was a dude who didn't like Europeans. He thought basketball to be an American game. He disliked the idea of drafting Europeans from leagues of poor talent, and considered the Dirk Nowitskis of the world to be rare anomalies. But Dirk was hot. There was no denying that, so teams looked for the next Dirk. They found Darko Milicic. Now, this guy, in all his poor beliefs about the sport of basketball wasn't the supreme judge of talent. But he was one thing: Immune to the Darko hype. His poor ideas on nationality afforded him the ablility to ponder "so Carmelo Anthony led Syracuse of all teams to an NCAA championship against what is being called one of the best draft classes ever, but Detroit wants to draft Darko Milicic at #2 after Lebron James?"

Say what you want about Lin fans. Perhaps their bias lets them see things how they really are. It's amazing to me that after that series against Portland, so many of you still don't. McHale will leave Houston without a ring, and the rest of you will be using hindsight to declare how much of a wasted opportunity it was to keep him. Harden will run the show until he remains in Houston long enough to see himself become the villain. Fans will boo and you'll be wondering how much value you can still get for him. All the while, your former LOF may drop by to say "I told you so."

#23 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
      • 2,308 posts
      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:03 PM

Well said Lakerfan. By the way, 1984 is around the time I started watching NBA basketball. Those Lakers teams were great and fun to watch, I still remember like it was yesterday when Magic shot that baby hook in the lane to help win the Finals in '87.

Wow, Qnoir, that is some of the most unrealistic brainwashing I have ever heard. The European player example is really grasping but I'm sure it gets repeated on certain forums like gospel.

How sweet it is!

#24 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,290 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:07 PM

In 2003, there was a dude who didn't like Europeans. He thought basketball to be an American game. He disliked the idea of drafting Europeans from leagues of poor talent, and considered the Dirk Nowitskis of the world to be rare anomalies. But Dirk was hot. There was no denying that, so teams looked for the next Dirk. They found Darko Milicic. Now, this guy, in all his poor beliefs about the sport of basketball wasn't the supreme judge of talent. But he was one thing: Immune to the Darko hype. His poor ideas on nationality afforded him the ablility to ponder "so Carmelo Anthony led Syracuse of all teams to an NCAA championship against what is being called one of the best draft classes ever, but Detroit wants to draft Darko Milicic at #2 after Lebron James?"

Say what you want about Lin fans. Perhaps their bias lets them see things how they really are. It's amazing to me that after that series against Portland, so many of you still don't. McHale will leave Houston without a ring, and the rest of you will be using hindsight to declare how much of a wasted opportunity it was to keep him. Harden will run the show until he remains in Houston long enough to see himself become the villain. Fans will boo and you'll be wondering how much value you can still get for him. All the while, your former LOF may drop by to say "I told you so."

I've yet to see any rockets fan excited about mchale being back. Worst case senario for harden is his career mirrors melo, teams still clamoured to sign him to a max deal going into his 30s, hard to say the same thing for Lin. Keeping Harden is the obvious choice.

Edited by Cooper, 12 July 2014 - 07:13 PM.

#25 QNoir

QNoir

Rookie

• Members
        • PipPip
        • 78 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:21 PM

Well said Lakerfan. By the way, 1984 is around the time I started watching NBA basketball. Those Lakers teams were great and fun to watch, I still remember like it was yesterday when Magic shot that baby hook in the lane to help win the Finals in '87.

Wow, Qnoir, that is some of the most unrealistic brainwashing I have ever heard. The European player example is really grasping but I'm sure it gets repeated on certain forums like gospel.

Whoosh! Right over your head, eh? Analogies don't register with you, I see.

Let's try it this way. You and Lin fans are opposite sides of the same coin. You're biases leave you with a heightened ability to observe the flaws of Lin, and Lin fans' biases leave them with an ability to observe the flaws of the Rockets organization as a whole. You see each others' champions clearly, but fail at objectively observing your own champs.

Another one: You think your daddy is the smartest man alive. I think my daddy is the smartest man alive. I can clearly see that your daddy is a tool, and you can clearly see that mine is a dummy.

If you really wanted to discuss basketball, you'd welcome the harsh input from Lin fans.

#26 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
          • 2,308 posts
          • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:33 PM

Right over my head, sure.

And the presumption that if I wanted to talk basketball I would talk about Lin and supposed harsh comments(more like ignorant comments) by Lin fans is laughable. Amazing, though not in the way that LeBron James and his story is amazing. This stuff is a joke and trust me many look forward to the day Lin isn't discussed here anymore, so soon but not soon enough.

By the way, I could critique many things about the Rockets but I refuse to join in bashing the team I follow with others who share a completely different agenda and/or motive. It's funny because you can see on Lin fan sites where posters are urging each other not to join Lakers online communities and stay on Lin sites or to restrain there comments and not attack Kobe or others in the Laker organization. That's pretty telling.
          How sweet it is!

#27 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 4,125 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:00 PM

@Rahat/Forrest/JG

Rahat I know it looks bleak, but I still trust Morey. Parsons isn't worth 15 mil per. it hampers the team to much in their quest to obtain a third star. Parsons can not be the third best player on a championship team. he doesn't create enough of an impact for that role IMO. we are having to make some tuff decisions right now. however ask yourself this.............if we resign Parsons knowing what it will do to our cap and add more role players is that for sure put us on level with OKC, Clippers, Portland ? those teams are improving as well.

Forrest I hope you become a regular part of the podcast. you are exactly the type of person to interact with Rahat. I felt you guys got on another level here. enjoyed the conversation

JG you are on another level with the pictures :lol: that Lin set had me on the floor laughing :lol: :lol:

the darkest hour is always just before the dawn. we can not sell ourselves short. we must stay the course

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#28 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
          • 2,308 posts
          • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:55 PM

It's just great. It's perfect.
          How sweet it is!

#29 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 4,133 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:05 PM

FSS, that was amazing!  I can't tell if it's real or mocking--either way it's funny.  Apparently, Jeremy Lin is now the Lakers' best player.

#30 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 2,596 posts
          • LocationAlabama

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:19 PM

Honestly isn't he? We don't know how many, if any, games Kobe will play. Hill is only an energy guy. I like young but not as good as Lin IMO. I do like randle but until I see him in the NBA I don't know how good he is and he'll probably struggle as a rookie. Nash is dead on his feet. Who else do they have?

Why so Serious? :D

#31 RudyT1995

RudyT1995

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 228 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:45 PM

Why are we still talking about him?  Cant' we just move on?

#32 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 2,596 posts
            • LocationAlabama

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:47 PM

We will pretty soon. Soon he will be leading the lakers to the lottery while we will be in the playoffs.

#33 RudyT1995

RudyT1995

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 228 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:51 PM

He could blow up in LA for all I care.  I just can't stand what the Lin-trolls have done to the discussions here.

#34 junglejim

junglejim

• Members
              • Pip
              • 19 posts
              • LocationNew York

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:48 PM

Hey everyone, I came here as a Lin fan - I'm from New York and I didn't follow basketball very much before Linsanity (I didn't even know who Hakeem Olajuwon was).  I'm a longtime lurker on Red94 with the exception of a snarky comment every now and then, but I've appreciated the more intelligent basketball essays and discussion here.  I've emotionally invested myself in the Rockets enough over the past two years that I'll probably keep following their championship aspirations for the duration Harden/Howard era.  I have faith in Morey - Nick Johnson is shaping up to be a great off-ball guard who could come off the bench for the Rockets, and I really think the Rockets will be contenders with the addition of one good floor-stretching big dude.

But realistically, I probably won't check up on Red94 as much as I have over the past few years.  So for all intents and purposes this is somewhat of a goodbye for me.

Why are we still talking about him?  Cant' we just move on?

Sorry. The "Goodbye Lin" thread was locked for some reason.

#35 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 4,125 posts
              • Locationhouston

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:21 PM

@junglejim

the Lin thread was locked for good reason. it was about to get ugly. you seem like one of the more rational Lin fans. I wish Lin and you well. the divorce went about as well as can be expected. while I didn't like Lin as a player I have no personal vendetta against him and have come to understand the complicated situation surrounding him. I expect (and have already seen some) parting shots being taken by his fans on Houston's forums, but I must say you said your goodbye with class. stop by for the discussions sometimes........you will be a welcomed member

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#36 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 2,596 posts
              • LocationAlabama

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:25 PM

Good post RBF. I wonder who the next player is that people will irrationally love? I've already seen evidence that it's Canaan.

Let the COF versus the COH battle begin.

Edited by timetodienow1234567, 12 July 2014 - 11:25 PM.

#37 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 4,125 posts
              • Locationhouston

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:41 PM

@TTDN

put me in the cof category for now :lol:

#38 SadLakerFan

SadLakerFan

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 172 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:02 AM

It's just great. It's perfect.

This can't possibly be serious - it's someone mocking the "Lin Fans".  But, quite funny.  

#39 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 2,008 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:35 AM

Good post RBF. I wonder who the next player is that people will irrationally love? I've already seen evidence that it's Canaan.

Let the COF versus the COH battle begin.

It's the Canaan Truthers vs the Canaan Deniers. At least you can get the two groups correct. ;)

Me and JG vs everyone?

I'm onboard the Canaan train, whose coming with me?

#40 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                  • 4,133 posts
                  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:17 AM

I've got our flag!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users