Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  cointurtlemoose : (21 November 2015 - 06:39 AM) McHale might not have been a great coach, but he definitely was NOT the problem with this team...
@  majik19 : (21 November 2015 - 02:31 AM) our team is just embarassing
@  cointurtlemoose : (19 November 2015 - 07:11 AM) That was the most Corey Brewer thing I have ever seen
@  majik19 : (19 November 2015 - 04:20 AM) how the hell did that happen? maybe just switching from McHale to JB will change our bad luck...
@  Willk : (19 November 2015 - 03:58 AM) in my face
@  bboley24 : (19 November 2015 - 03:55 AM) So that just happened
@  Cooper : (19 November 2015 - 03:53 AM) got the win
@  Willk : (19 November 2015 - 02:06 AM) fire McHale! playing like crap again
@  SadLakerFan : (18 November 2015 - 06:21 PM) It's unfair, but it's the right move because it's the only move major move they had available to them. But, it seems just a tad premature - I wonder what was really said in the player meeting.
@  majik19 : (18 November 2015 - 06:03 PM) So much for building off continuity now that the core is in place... It's probably about time for another "Morey's Plan" article from Rahat.
@  txtdo1411 : (18 November 2015 - 05:26 PM) No problem. He definitely made it clear that changes will continue to be made until we are winning again.
@  cointurtlemoose : (18 November 2015 - 05:19 PM) Thanks for the link, txtdo; good words from Morey, I thought
@  cointurtlemoose : (18 November 2015 - 05:14 PM) Wow, I expected this 6 or 7 games from now if things didn't change... This seems a tad early. And they better have a replacement actually in mind and ready to hire, otherwise this seems like a misguided move
@  txtdo1411 : (18 November 2015 - 05:13 PM) Its going on right now.
@  txtdo1411 : (18 November 2015 - 05:13 PM) http://api.viglink.c...9&title=Rockets Press Conference 11am - ClutchFans&txt=http://www.khou.com/videos/news/loca...7/29/12651418/
@  slick shoes : (18 November 2015 - 05:12 PM) Anyone know where to listen in to the DM press conference?
@  DenverRocket : (18 November 2015 - 04:50 PM) Shocked too, but then again not. Something had to give. I can't see JB being given the reins f/t. Surely they have a contingency? Thibs?
@  txtdo1411 : (18 November 2015 - 04:48 PM) I wonder if the plan is to find a replacement fairly quickly, or to give JB a shot. I'm trying to understand how things would change, since JB has been in the locker room all year. The players are going to give him effort now just because McHale is gone?
@  majik19 : (18 November 2015 - 04:22 PM) just shocked. I feel like this is now a lost season. We were struggling under McHale, but do we really think J.B. can lead us to a championship?
@  thenit : (18 November 2015 - 04:19 PM) Its becoming a winner or becoming Melo, great scorer but not coachable

Photo

Houston Rockets on the clock or, "Et tu, Chandler?"

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#61 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:43 PM

"Houston and Chris Bosh moving quickly on securing deal, and with Bosh, Rockets will match Chandler Parsons offer sheet, source tells Yahoo.
    — Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) July 11, 2014"

"Not one, not two, not three..."

Edited by Steven, 11 July 2014 - 06:44 PM.

#62 SadLakerFan

SadLakerFan

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 176 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:36 PM

Lebron's "no risk" decision is to go to Cleveland.  He'll be viewed as a good guy, someone who wanted to do right by the downtrodden city.  If he never wins another championship, it won't be seen as a failure on his part, it will be because he decided to forego better opportunities (i.e., the Heat) to come back home.  He'll still be regarded as among the best of all time; he's got his two championships.  He doesn't need more. 

I love it when I'm right.  Whoever wrote that letter for him should receive 5% of all his future earnings.  It is a fantastic piece of writing, hitting every emotional touchpoint perfectly - and it sounds absolutely heartfelt (maybe it is). 

#63 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,186 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:41 PM

Frankly, this off-season, is a case of Morey being too smart for his own good. Sometimes, emotional decisions are the better choice.

When you base everything on analytics and numbers only, and leave the human aspect out of it, then your team suffers on morale. Teams like the Spurs and Mavs don't go chasing every free agent when they're available, even if they would make their team better. They approach it with some pragmatism and ensure that how they approach things that they won't alienate their current roster.

If we sign Bosh, great, if not...I fear Houston would succumb to the worse possible scenario position.

Ummmmm, really?  First, the level of conjecture about leaving the human element out of it is getting annoying.  As outsiders, we have no idea........whatever.

The Mavericks don't court players?  Are you sure you don't want to re-think that?  Cuban practically invented the modern courting paradigm!

Lastly, I love how you closed out with some quality doom and gloom.  We are about to (knock on wood) roll out a starting 5 that will rival any roster in the NBA.  Yeah, let's call Morey out for being too smart for his own good.....egads!  Yup, he really out-smarted himself with all these stars, draft picks, and young talent.  What a loser.

MiMy-Dieter.jpg

#64 txtdo1411

txtdo1411

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 207 posts
      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:49 PM

KDO Dallas has literally chased every big name free agent for the last 4 years... The only difference is that they have yet to land one. Not sure why you are so doom and gloom right now, it appears as everything is falling exactly how Morey was hoping (outside of getting Melo or Lebron).

#65 YaoMan

YaoMan

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 170 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:01 PM

I don't need to add to JG and TXTDO posts as they speak for themselves very clearly but the dust hasn't settled yet.  When the finances are worked out for a starting 5 of Bev, Harden, Parsons, Bosh and Howard. The roster will be filled out just like when Miami signed the big 3, when everyone questioned who was their bench going to be and everyone said they don't have a center and Chalmers isn't a championship caliber PG. We all know how that turned out. And I would contend Bev's a better defender than Chalmers and Howard is arguably the best center in the league.

The Rockets at the limit, can sign veteran minimums to every following player if they are capped out. Some vet minimums are around 2mil or such depending on years in the league so it's not like players are going to come here for free. Honestly this is only day 2 everyone!!!

#66 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 2,597 posts
        • LocationAlabama

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:05 PM

What about Bonner? He would be a great 3rd big that can play PF alongside Bosh and Howard. SA might go with Baynes and I don't see a huge market for him anywhere else.

Why so Serious? :D

#67 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,865 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:09 PM

Ummmmm, really?  First, the level of conjecture about leaving the human element out of it is getting annoying.  As outsiders, we have no idea........whatever.

The Mavericks don't court players?  Are you sure you don't want to re-think that?  Cuban practically invented the modern courting paradigm!

Lastly, I love how you closed out with some quality doom and gloom.  We are about to (knock on wood) roll out a starting 5 that will rival any roster in the NBA.  Yeah, let's call Morey out for being too smart for his own good.....egads!  Yup, he really out-smarted himself with all these stars, draft picks, and young talent.  What a loser.

MiMy-Dieter.jpg

JG, you forgot to mention the lottery pick the Rockets will acquire from the Pelicans when the Asik trade is official. So likely the Rockets will end up with the best starting 5 in the league plus have a lottery pick to boot! Nick Johnson is going to fit in well here too in my opinion. Just hope that the Spurs or the Mavs, etc. don't overpay for Troy Daniels. I would like to see Troy back again after showing off his 3 point shooting skills in the playoffs this past season.

#68 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 4,186 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:29 PM

Daniels is a restricted free agent.  we can re-sign him the same as Parsons....as long as it's not too much money, of course.

#69 uojoe82

uojoe82

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 123 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:55 PM

One thing to think about:

If Lebron leaves Miami is it a done deal that Bosh signs with the Rockets?

I dont think so. Keep in mind the Heat have a bazillion dollars to spend and if Lebron goes they still need quality pieces . I can easily envision Riley giving Bosh the same deal he would get with Houston (Bosh said he would only sign for less if the big three come back), then giving Wade the obligatory 4 years $60 million. That still leaves a lot of money (even with Udonis Haslem). 

Bosh gets to stay in Miami, get max money, continue to be a perennial all-star, be the focus point of the offense, 

Called It

#70 uojoe82

uojoe82

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 123 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:56 PM

What about Bonner? He would be a great 3rd big that can play PF alongside Bosh and Howard. SA might go with Baynes and I don't see a huge market for him anywhere else.

Second time you've mentioned Matt Bonner's name. Meaning if you search the internet for "Matt Bonner" references all two of them belong to you. Yesterday you compared Matt Bonner to Jose Calderon. Why do you keep bringing up his name?

#71 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 2,597 posts
              • LocationAlabama

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:58 PM

Lol. I watch a lot of spurs games as they're my second favorite team and he makes a lot of threes.

#72 Johnny33

Johnny33

• Members
              • Pip
              • 20 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:12 PM

Well, pretty much the possible outcome has happened.  Asik and Lin are gone.  Parsons - they may opt to cut loose, OR bring back and tie up flexibility for the next 2-3 seasons.

Going back to thejohnnygold's dog-and-pony post, I think a lot of us would have rather seen this group have one more crack at it this season, minus Asik since he wanted out - and replaced with a few solid vets to shore up the bench.  Alas, not to be.  Now the team is several notches below where they were last season, with the list of available (good) free agents shrinking and their price tags going up.

If you swing for the fences every time at the plate, you're going to strike out a lot too.  Nothing wrong with getting on base or moving the runner along.

On the bright side - the Bosh announcement was before any word of a Terrence Jones trade - that would have even worse.

#73 uojoe82

uojoe82

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 123 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:40 PM

Lol. I watch a lot of spurs games as they're my second favorite team and he makes a lot of threes.

He made 42 three pointer last year. Lin made 8 in one game last year.

#74 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 2,597 posts
                  • LocationAlabama

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:41 PM

He obviously didn't play much last year as Diaw and Baynes ate his minutes.

#75 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                  • 4,186 posts
                  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:35 AM

I like Bonner.  He's smart, professional, and reliable.  He shot 43% on his 3's last season and is a legit floor spacer.  I don't think he's an NBA starter by any measure, but coming off the bench he can be quite effective for a team dynamic.  That being said, I'd be very surprised if he left San Antonio.

#76 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 2,597 posts
                  • LocationAlabama

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:53 AM

There are reports that the Spurs won't keep both him AND Baynes. I think they go with Baynes.

#77 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                  • 4,186 posts
                  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:13 AM

I was impressed with Baynes when I saw him play so that wouldn't surprise me.  If we end up moving one of Jones/D-MO I think there is a good chance Morey makes an offer.  Otherwise, I think we continue hoping one of those two makes "the leap".  I'm still holding out for this  ^_^

#78 miketheodio

miketheodio

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 353 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:39 AM

He obviously didn't play much last year as Diaw and Baynes ate his minutes.

probably a reason for that 

#79 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 222 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:08 PM

Yes, Bonner defense is a big liability during the season and even more so in the playoffs. Reports are Alonzo Gee may be included going to Houston in the Asik deal. Gives us a better athlete or mobility off the bench than Casspi or Garcia for defensive purposes backing up Parsons or the guy I prefer Ariza........Ariza shot better fom FT%, 3P%, and better DefRating than Parsons (plus will be cheaper). May be time to bring Papanikolaou in as a backup role.

#80 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                      • 4,186 posts
                      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:49 PM

Pa-pa-ni-ko-laou......easy for you to say... :lol:

Here is his draftexpress page for those who, like me, had no clue who he was.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users