Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  YaoMan : (23 October 2015 - 04:49 PM) Zach Lowe seems to think the Rox are the biggest threat to GSW: http://grantland.com...-16-nba-season/
@  cointurtlemoose : (23 October 2015 - 04:36 PM) Hey if yall want a good podcast to listen to, find the Dunc'd On Basketball Podcast on Itunes, Rahat just did a Rockets preview with the host.
@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash

Photo

The Red94 Podcast: Episode 43

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 Willk

Willk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:55 PM

That is a great question timetodie. I cannot even pretend to know whats out there in the coaching ranks but the more I think about it the more vested in the idea I am. Upgrading the assistants bench is a way to add another crucial piece to the puzzle while maintaining the growth of the culture because you are bringing a new guy onto the team. It would seem like an attractive situation.

it seems like the rockets like to promote from within mainly from the RGV. I am not sure this is the way to go.

#62 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,125 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:57 PM

great....now all we have to do is figure out how to hire Rick Carlisle to fix our problem

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#63 Dusty

Dusty

• Members
    • Pip
    • 11 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:34 AM

I know most people here are diehard Houston Rockets fan, but I moved here as an orphan to the New Jersey Nets (I can't root for Brooklyn. no way). So what I'm about to say may be blasphemous... I can't imagine rooting for Houston if they lose Chandler, Lin, and Asik. It's just not the same team. I know GMs don't make decisions based on this, but I'd be really sad if they gutted the heart of the team. Don't we root for teams (people) and not a money-making corporation? If you think about it... isn't it strange that we root for a corporation, just because it's labeled 'Houston' or 'New Jersey'?

I don't know. Would hate to lost the team chemistry we have.

#64 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 2,008 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:14 PM

I know most people here are diehard Houston Rockets fan, but I moved here as an orphan to the New Jersey Nets (I can't root for Brooklyn. no way). So what I'm about to say may be blasphemous... I can't imagine rooting for Houston if they lose Chandler, Lin, and Asik. It's just not the same team. I know GMs don't make decisions based on this, but I'd be really sad if they gutted the heart of the team. Don't we root for teams (people) and not a money-making corporation? If you think about it... isn't it strange that we root for a corporation, just because it's labeled 'Houston' or 'New Jersey'?

I have always cared more about the name on the front of the jersey over the name on the back.

#65 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
        • 2,311 posts
        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:24 PM

Yup, the only time I really got upset was when Sampson was traded away. It's all about the organization that represents the city I have grown up in for me. Players come and go, it's bigger than any player for me.

How sweet it is!

#66 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 4,125 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:23 PM

@Dusty

WELCOME TO THE FORUM :) I agree with FSS and Steven. my loyalties rest with the Rockets organization. players come and go, but the organization is here to stay. I disagree with your view that Lin, Parsons and Asik are the heart of the team. while they are important (heart of the team status) is putting a little to much weight on their shoulders. as for your comment on loosing our team chemistry my answer would be......what team chemistry? I think the players made it clear that they are good together off the court, however on court problems still exist.  how do you know when a team has good team chemistry?.................when the sum of it's parts are exceeded by the overall play of the team. the Rockets aren't any where close to that

Edited by rockets best fan, 08 May 2014 - 05:24 PM.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#67 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
        • 2,311 posts
        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:31 PM

I agree the team chemistry is still a work in progress, I think that might be what I measure McHale by this season.
        How sweet it is!

#68 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 4,125 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:38 PM

@FSS

by any measuring stick I could rate a coach on McFail is a FAILURE. I thought I was seeing progress in him, but when  pressure was put on him he regressed leaving me sure that hoping he could one day be a good coach was futile.

#69 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,137 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:33 PM

I'll chime in since all the replies have been one-sided.

I agree with you to a certain extent (and it should be obvious, but I'll mention that this is personal and subjective for every fan--there is no right/wrong way to root for a team--not that anyone would agree with that :lol: ).  I find my enjoyment and experience of watching the Rockets increases in relation to the emotional connection I can make with the team--which is primarily through the players.

To me, the ideal scenario would be local kids, who went to local colleges, and become hometown heroes for your favorite team.  You got to watch them develop their talents, suffer hardship, and enjoy success on the road to whatever their careers ultimately bring and, as a fan, you got to experience it vicariously through them--with them.  Championship or not, the journey was a good one and the heart and soul of a city can be seen, reflected in the face of a few guys who happen to be good at basketball.  Yes, it is corny and hokey and lamer than any inspirational kids film ever made.  That's just me.

The reality is that's not how things work in the NBA.  If you want that sort of experience you're best served to find a smaller college program with a high graduation rate.  For myself, in order to deal with the chasm between my ideal and what is actually available I have to make extra efforts to find attachment and connect with the players on our roster.  This can be done in a number of ways.  Social media, interviews, articles, watching as many games as possible--mainly it's about creating a narrative--a story that is compelling and makes you care about player X. 

Why do I like Greg Smith?  Primarily it is from reading an interview he did (which can be found at draftexpress.com--a great resource for backstory stuff) where he talked about his career path from high school through his first year or so of pro ball.  After that, I was a fan and I cared about his success and every thunderous dunk he made was that much better.  I'm not sad that he has left the Rockets--my only concern is that he continues to live his dream of playing pro ball.

If we trade away Parsons, Lin, or Asik it will leave a big hole for me--I like rooting for all three of them--even when their play infuriates me :lol:

Logically, I get that acquiring a player like Carmelo is a no-brainer (despite concerns people may have).  I don't have much attachment to him; in fact, my biggest attachment is negative as he knocked my Longhorns out of their only Final Four appearance when he was at Syracuse.  If we do get him, I will find a way to connect to him though--it makes my experience better.

As far as the corporation thing goes.....this is the modern world.  Despite the fact that these entities are cash machines that spend as much time looking at bottom lines as stat lines they are still focal points for their communities.  Millions of people focus their attention and energy simultaneously pinning their hopes on those players who work for the corporations.  For me, it is in that space where the really cool stuff exists.  There is no way to describe the energy of Memorial Stadium for a Longhorn Football game with 100,000+ fans all screaming, yelling, and yearning together.  It can only be felt in person.  Make no mistake about it, the UT athletic department is a corporation like any other.  It's not about them.  It's about the 100,000 people who all share the same hopes, dreams, and desires.  I don't cheer for Les Alexander when the Rockets succeed--I don't think about how he feels when we win.  Imagining the people of Houston celebrating together makes me much happier.

A corporation makes all of this possible--for all of us.  When the guys above said they root for the name on the front, and not the back, I interpret that as they are rooting for the idea--the symbol--of the Rockets.  It unites us all.  Yay sports!

I hope you find a way to cope with your existential crisis.  Players come and go.  It is the fans that remain.

#70 PhillyCheese

PhillyCheese

Rookie

• Members
        • PipPip
        • 71 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 01:27 AM

I root for the Montreal Canadiens even though I don't live in Montreal.  I root for New England Patriots even though I don't live in Boston.  What usually happens is for a period when favourite players are retired or traded, my fandom wanes, and then it picks up again. If the heart of the Rockets leaves, I'll still root for them, but will not be as invested until they get some players tha captures my attention.

But for those that live in Houston, I guess you are invested all the time.

#71 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 4,125 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:22 AM

@PhillyCheese

I'm just the opposite. Houston is my city. I have lived here all my life. I love the Rockets, Texans and Astros (Yes I'm the one sitting in the stands with the bag over his head :lol:) I think that everyone who doesn't live here is unfortunate. I'm a homer in the true sense. when I can't pull for Houston I pull for Texas.........all other teams are viewed as the enemy. NO EXCEPTIONS :lol: 

#72 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,636 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:09 AM

Well when the rockets are out, I bandwagon the spurs. I could NEVER support the cowboys though.

#73 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 2,008 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:08 PM

Well when the rockets are out, I bandwagon the spurs. I could NEVER support the cowboys though.

I could when Jerry jones is no longer the owner.

#74 Dusty

Dusty

• Members
              • Pip
              • 11 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:57 AM

@thejohnnygold

Very on point. I appreciate the structure behind your conclusion and there's no argument to go against how you arrived to it. It's good you're very aware of both the absurdity and joys of rooting for a corporation-led team. They profit from our fanaticism, but they do produce amazing games filled with wonderful stories. We are entertained aren't we? Plus as the whole fiasco with Sterling has shown, we aren't completely without influence. Crappy owners will get spanked for bad behaviour.

That first team you mentioned built with homegrown talents who struggled to the top. That's the team I want to root for. Would bleed for a team like that. But yeah, it doesn't work that way in the "real world" and I guess why should it?

@PhillyCheese

For now, I'm with philly cheese on this. I root for the Michigan Wolverines, New York Giants, and Houston Rockets. I hate the Knicks, because of Dolan, and The Dallas Cowboys, because they are the Dallas Cowboys. I hate the Boston Celtics, because I hate Boston the city.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users