Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Trail Blazers 122, Houston Rockets 120 - A great game for the rest of the nation

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#61 miketheodio

miketheodio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:57 PM

i understand the benefits of read and react. how sets get broken up. but you also have to think about a "play" not even getting off of the ground. when teams play good lock down defense, that's when it looks like the chickens are running around with no heads. overall, i like it, but i hope they adjust it a bit in the future. moreyball/read and react still feels a little gimmicky. i like it as a foundation, but it doesn't feel like they've made an original play style yet. it will probably take time and growth, but i'd like to see them have a unique offense like the heat and spurs. look at all ideas, keep what is good and cut the bad. something they can call their own. more of an identity i guess.

honestly, it's very disheartening to see your favorite team look incompetent on offense when you know the way the offense can potentially perform. i know this is silly, but you look at the spurs and they always find a way to make the smart decision. ex:  in the second half, parsons taking a semi contested corner 3 when garcia was wide open on the wing. not making the extra pass bugs me to no end.

mchale definitely made some mistakes, but the good news is he made some good adjustments last year vs okc. i hope he will do it again. still not sure about mchale as a championship coach, but i think you keep him next year for stability reasons. all the good teams have been stable for 3+ years.

I wouldn't take an absolute stance on doubling LMA. somewhere in the plan, there has to be a green light for doubling in certain instances depending on the court positioning of all the players.

i still think the rockets can take it in 6 with a strong performance in game 2. gain some kind of momentum to build on so the guys click a little bit better in the following games. it is refreshing to think about LMA and lilliard having great nights and barely coming out with a win while the rockets stars had a subpar night. there is something to be said about that.

#62 TheHolyBeardedOne

TheHolyBeardedOne

Rookie

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 74 posts
    • LocationAltus, Oklahoma

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:18 PM

http://scores.espn.g...ameId=400553097

Hope you all can take a look at that. Look at LMA's shot chart and tell me why he didnt attempt a single shot from the right side of the floor? Am i sensing a weakness or is it just me? I really think the rockets should force him to that side of the floor and see if it makes a difference. I am not sure on his percentages from certain sides but it might be worth looking. 

Give me all your inputs on what you think about it please!

GO ROCKETS

#63 TheHolyBeardedOne

TheHolyBeardedOne

Rookie

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 74 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:19 PM

Might just be an idiotic thought from me but I just noticed it and figured I would share it 

#64 TheHolyBeardedOne

TheHolyBeardedOne

Rookie

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 74 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:25 PM

I also feel like the Rockets will eventually run the Blazers down seeing as their bench only scored 7 points throughout the whole game.. Its worth noting that, especially if next game Matthews ends up being to aggressive on Harden and draws a few quick fouls this could REALLY help the Rockets during a game against a very thin bench. 

#65 Willk

Willk

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 314 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:26 PM

One, the Blazers will absolutely attack the lane if D12 is out near the 3 point line guarding Aldridge.

If I were the Blazers in this situation, simply attack the lane, end up with a 2 on 1 situation with T Jones (or Asik, etc.) guarding the rim and either go in for a layup or pass off to Lopez for the Dunk.

I agree with rocketrick. I definitely would not put Howard on LMA. LMA would pull Howard away from the paint which would leave no rim protection and Lipez would get all of the boards.

#66 BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden

• Members
      • Pip
      • 22 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:32 PM

I think if it weren't for foul trouble we would've seen more of Dwight and Asik together, with Asik fronting Aldridge and Dwight protecting the rim, especially when we had a lead and just needed stops. I agree that Dwight should guard LMA leaving Jones to protect the rim which he is a decent shot blocker but he'll have to make sure he boxes out Lopez and get boards.

#67 miketheodio

miketheodio

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 353 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:27 PM

I think if it weren't for foul trouble we would've seen more of Dwight and Asik together, with Asik fronting Aldridge and Dwight protecting the rim, especially when we had a lead and just needed stops. I agree that Dwight should guard LMA leaving Jones to protect the rim which he is a decent shot blocker but he'll have to make sure he boxes out Lopez and get boards.

i wonder what would happen if you rotated fresh players on LMA throughout the game. a jones, asik, and dmo rotation.

#68 dbd

dbd

Rookie

• Members
          • PipPip
          • 85 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:54 PM

There is no good solution to guard LMA.

Some already pointed out below:

- Rim protection will be weak if Dwight defend him

- TT didn't work in the past and potential issue for FT

- Double teaming will open 3pt threat

It is cliche, Rockets must shoot well. Find better looks to get good efficiency. 

In game 1, Harden went 8-28 and Dwight went 9-21 and 9-17 on free throws.

Can you imagine who will win if a couple more shots or FT went in even if LMA had a record setting day?

#69 PhillyCheese

PhillyCheese

Rookie

• Members
            • PipPip
            • 71 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:10 AM

Since everyone has an opinion, I think they should leave Jones on Aldridge but bring a help defender hard a few times, or fake hedge a few times.  Basically throw some variety of coverages at him.  Play the TT a few minutes as well - maybe with Parsons, Harden and Daniels as shooters and keep it inside out since the driving lanes are not going to be there.

I'd also play Lin and Harden more and tell both of them to attack the Portland guards, and incorporate the high screen pick and roll more with either Jones or Howard.

Beverley might be cleared to play but judging from all the winces and grimaces that I saw last game, I'm not sure how much he has.  At the beginning of the game he looked good but as he tired, there were more blow bys - even on his block it was because his man got by him easily. If I was McHale, I definitiely watch his minutes and not let Bev talk him into playing him more minutes.  Please, no more Jones and Parsons on Lillard - Parsons is delusional if he thinks he can guard Lillard, plus you'll then have mismatch against Batum.

Portland knows the Rox will focus more on Lillard and LMA so don't be surprised if they draw up more plays for Batum and continue to have Matthews post up Harden.

#70 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
              • 2,311 posts
              • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:46 AM

I don't think they need to change up too much. Aldridge had a classic game, one of the best games by a big man in the last few decades, top and bottom that was the Lamarcus Aldridge game.

I wouldn't mind seeing about 15 minutes from Motiejunas especially since he had some relative success defending Aldridge in games 2 and 3 of the regular season that I recently rewatched. I would like to see Motiejunas use those 5 fouls in a deliberate manner as I believe this team needs to get physical.

Dwight is more of a patroller but he could use a couple of guys dishing out hard fouls, you have to toughen up during the playoffs. Beverly can't be the only crazy guy in the rotation and a crazy big would go a long way.
              How sweet it is!

#71 datruth

datruth

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 162 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:45 AM

To Mr. Wilk

Not sure what you talking about, but please check

Laimbeer was traded to Detroit in 1982 seven years before a championship.

Your information is false. Detroit won back to back championship after Laimbeer had been there for seven years. 1989,1990

I'am Laimbeer fan. Again Laimbeer is a four time all star .

not sure if Beverly will ever be an all star

and JLin is not my favorite player, but he is a rocket player currently, therefore me and my family will support him.

For you to make up stuff saying things you don't know for sure and then calling people out tells me more about you than the people you trying to defend.. No hard feeling toward you

but again Beverly is a very good role player that has been in  a starting position

he shoots 41% and averages 10 points a game 2 assist and 1.4 steal  that is below average for a starting pg in the nba that plays over 31 minutes a game. Not sure why you think different, but again good luck to you .

Go rockets

#72 miketheodio

miketheodio

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 353 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:40 AM

I don't think they need to change up too much. Aldridge had a classic game, one of the best games by a big man in the last few decades, top and bottom that was the Lamarcus Aldridge game.

I wouldn't mind seeing about 15 minutes from Motiejunas especially since he had some relative success defending Aldridge in games 2 and 3 of the regular season that I recently rewatched. I would like to see Motiejunas use those 5 fouls in a deliberate manner as I believe this team needs to get physical.

Dwight is more of a patroller but he could use a couple of guys dishing out hard fouls, you have to toughen up during the playoffs. Beverly can't be the only crazy guy in the rotation and a crazy big would go a long way.

what does he avg? around 45% FG? and he shot 55%/ 100 from 3. true, that's probably not going to happen again. 15 minutes of DMO sounds good if they tell him to be physical.

#73 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                  • 2,311 posts
                  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:58 AM

Over the last 10 games of the season he shot .455 FG% and over his last 15 his AFG% was .448 so even though against the Rockets he may perform above his recent averages he still shouldn't approach what he did in game 1.
                  How sweet it is!

#74 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPip
                  • 1,865 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:04 PM

Can't say I disagree with anything you said, FSS.

Go Rockets!!

#75 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                    • 4,137 posts
                    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:44 PM

We should force D-Mo to watch film of Bill Laimbeer in the playoffs Clockwork-Orange-Style.  Then unleash him on Aldridge.  :lol:

#76 miketheodio

miketheodio

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 353 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:46 PM

and a resounding "YES" was heard

#77 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                      • 2,008 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:43 PM

We should force D-Mo to watch film of Bill Laimbeer in the playoffs Clockwork-Orange-Style. Then unleash him on Aldridge. :lol:

Or McHale vs Rambus.

#78 Willk

Willk

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 314 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:54 PM

To Mr. Wilk

Not sure what you talking about, but please check

Laimbeer was traded to Detroit in 1982 seven years before a championship.

Your information is false. Detroit won back to back championship after Laimbeer had been there for seven years. 1989,1990

I'am Laimbeer fan. Again Laimbeer is a four time all star .

not sure if Beverly will ever be an all star

and JLin is not my favorite player, but he is a rocket player currently, therefore me and my family will support him.

For you to make up stuff saying things you don't know for sure and then calling people out tells me more about you than the people you trying to defend.. No hard feeling toward you

but again Beverly is a very good role player that has been in  a starting position

he shoots 41% and averages 10 points a game 2 assist and 1.4 steal  that is below average for a starting pg in the nba that plays over 31 minutes a game. Not sure why you think different, but again good luck to you .

Go rockets

Datruth,

You stated that The Pistons won a championship only after Isiah Thomas learned how to be tough from Laimbeer, Mahorn, and Rodman. This is incorrect just like when you said MJ learned his toughness from Cartwright. Isiah was always tough. As I said the Pistons looked to get similar tough players like Isiah and the first player they targeted was Laimbeer. You can watch the 30 for 30 that played last week and see this.

You state that you and your family support Lin because he a rocket and then you dish on Bev. So since Bev is a rocket shouldn't you and your family also support him? Also, when did I say anything about Bev being anything more than a role player?  Please show me. Looks like you made this up, but no hard feelings and good luck to you.

#79 Baller93

Baller93

• Members
                          • Pip
                          • 27 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:25 AM

Offense is not the problem.  Defense and coaching was the major faults in game 1.  Those should be (mostly) correctable mistakes and everyone should expect total victory!!!!!!  I'll be the one in the Drexler jersey at Buffalo Wild Wings.  The tall, blonde in the Olajuwon jersey is my wife who thinks the Rockets couldn't defend boy scout troop 7, will be the one yelling at Dwight Howard.

#80 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
                            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                            • 2,008 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:29 AM

McHale not pulling Howard after he made the first two free throws in the hack-a-Howard strategy was the problem. Even if the Blazers had made the next three possessions with 3s and got stops on the defensive end, the Rockets would have been up a point going into the last 2 minutes with at least some rhythm on offense. But no McHale decided to let the game stall, and keep the JailBlazers in the game. If the Rockets lose this series, McHale will be gone.

Edited by Steven, 24 April 2014 - 12:29 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users