Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  YaoMan : (23 October 2015 - 04:49 PM) Zach Lowe seems to think the Rox are the biggest threat to GSW: http://grantland.com...-16-nba-season/
@  cointurtlemoose : (23 October 2015 - 04:36 PM) Hey if yall want a good podcast to listen to, find the Dunc'd On Basketball Podcast on Itunes, Rahat just did a Rockets preview with the host.
@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash

Photo

Trail Blazers 122, Houston Rockets 120 - A great game for the rest of the nation

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#41 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:15 AM

Just saying harden had an off night and to argue that Lin should take over is just not going to happen. Unless Lin has 40points and 15 in the forth would they take the ball away from harden. There is a hierarchy in the nba so that won't happen. Harden will shoot better that's a given. Lin should not get the ball unless harden is injured and if that's the case, I go with whoever is hot.

I'm more concerned about the so call D that was going to show up when it matters. Still looking hard. When you let LMA a big man post up on you and then just runs by you, I just can't see us winning the championship. This is a situation I want mchale to get into hardens face. I can live with getting backed down because he is just too big but not even trying when he runs pass you is just sad.

#42 Willk

Willk

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 314 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:48 AM

Well this was what they did to us. They were very physical from beginning and rough up everybody in sight.

TRob came in and like he want to hurt somebody. They will do the same in game 2: attack Beard, physical game, and foul Dwight if they were behind.

I might be wrong, but this is the problem PB. 

Pb is very aggressive on one end of the floor.

He likes to hold, hack and do dirty tricks while on the floor.

A good coach will adjust and do the same to our star players, like Harden and Howard. 

a good coach will send average  players to do the same to our star players.

If i was coaching i would do the same.

The star players must have the same mind frame as the tough player like  PBev.

Chicago got over the hump when Jordan began just as tough as Cartwright.

Same is said about the bad boys from Motown., Isaiah became just as tough as laimbeer, Rodman and Mahorn

A good coach will protect his player, but they will never go after Pbev. It will always be your star player.

I think the rockets win over the blazers, because of overall talent.

None of this is the datruth. Bev is not a dirty player. I understand you are trying to promote your favorite player by dishing on Bev. The Blazers are not playing dirty against the rockets stars. This makes no sense.

Lets look at the rest of this post. Chicago did not get over the hump when "Jordan became as tough as Cartwright" Chicago got over the hump when Pippen and Grant became as mentally tough as Jordan. Cartwright had nothing to do with anybody's mental toughness.

Motown got over the hump when Isiah became just as tough as Laimbeer, Rodman, and Mahorn? No, Detroit traded for Laimbeer after figuring his toughness would fit in well with Isiah's toughness. Isiah was the only tough player on the Pistons before Laimbeer was added. Mahorn was added a couple years later and Rodman was added 5 years after Isiah joined the Pistons.

Not sure what this post had to do anything about the last game.

#43 Willk

Willk

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 314 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:52 AM

I'm just amazed that Lillard completely lost Beverly to hit a 3 at the end of the 4th, and then again completely passed up Beverly and finished at the rim while fouling out Bev for the 3-point play and lead in overtime, yet Bev's defense is still immune from criticism. Last I checked, being 10 feet from your guy, leaving TJones to TRY to cover him in the final seconds is pretty horrible. Finding yourself behind your guy on a rim drive that was created without hitting a screen is pretty avoidable as well. Those are the 2 plays took the game for Portland. Just call it like you see it. Results.

You are amazed that Bev slipped on a play? #7 never does that. Didn't #7 foul Lillard when he was shooting a 3? I am lost as to how that happens. When Bev was on the Bench in the 4q what did Lillard do against Lin? He did not miss a shot.

#44 Willk

Willk

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 314 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:53 AM

You can name plays where someone gets beat by an all star player, it doesn't make them bad.

Or when they slip. Slipping = bad player

#45 Willk

Willk

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 314 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:05 AM

Great offensive player > great defensive player

Lillard is a top  5 PG in the NBA right now. If Rocket fans were counting on Beverley to lock down Lillard this series you either don't watch enough of Lillard (which is excusable since Blazer games usually start at 7:30 PST) or you think Beverley is better at defense than he really is. 

Beverley makes "showy" defensive plays but when he's not making those plays he's an average defender. I applaud and admire his tenacity and devotion to the team when its obvious he's not 100% but I wonder if he keeps playing if he's actually hurting the team. Lets keep in mind that he's only on the team for his defense and his "toughness" that he brings. Well if Lillard gets whatever he wants on offense with just a mild distraction that Beverley currently offers should he be playing starter minutes? On offense hes below average so he now ins't contributing on both ends of the court. Lillard has a killer instinct and with Bev's latest re-injury Im certain Lillard will go for the kill against Beverley. Really wish the Rockets kept Aaron Brooks because they could really use some depth.

If Mchales/Rockets gameplan was for Beverley to cancel out Lillard and for Harden to score at will to offset the mismatch the Blazers have at the PF position I really hope they have a plan B.

Im worried, and so should the rest of you.

Yep, try to create panic that is how everybody will say lets give the ball to Lin and let him do whatever he wants whenever he wants.

At the end of the 4q Lin was 2-7 for 7 points. Beverley was 3-8 for 9 points. You do realize that late in the game Bev denied Lillard from getting the ball twice? You do realize that is why the blazers had to set an off the ball screen at half court on Bev to try to get Lillard free from Bev's "showy" defense? Chris Paul got in foul trouble against Curry so according to your logic he is not an elite defender now? Tony Allen allowed 36 points against KD tonight so he played terrible defense?

So what is your plan A and plan B?  

#46 Willk

Willk

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 314 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:09 AM

Harden looked like he was too gassed to drive to the hoop and was settling for 3pt shots and jumpers.  Looked like a man playing with a virus or something.  Maybe having Matthews post him up in the 1Q had somethng to do with his energy level.  As well as Lin played, I think he needs to do more of the heavy lifting.  If your teammate is clearly gassed, Lin needs to take charge out there. While Matthews was attacking our worst defensive player, we did not attack their worst defensive player as much. 

I'm really confused - I know Bev is valuable because he sets the tone for the starters.  But with two superstars why does Bev need to set the tone?  Bev is obviously not alright, even before the LMA screen.  I think they need to sit him because he is hurting the team by playing, and hurting himself too. 

I think DMo should have some burn too.  He's long enough to give LMA some trouble.  Jones did a lousy job boxing out and not helping from the weak side when he should have.  DMo should be ok chasing LMA around for a bit while Howard camps out underneath and be able to pick his spots to double down.  Lopez is not much of a threat.

Exactly how is Bev hurting the team? How is he obviously not alright?

#47 Baller93

Baller93

• Members
              • Pip
              • 27 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:14 AM

An example of McHale "cozying" up and trying to be a "buddy" to his players? :>O

Bad shots all around, refusal to bench players no matter how bad they're playing, failure to get players to run back on D, can't get his best offensive players to move the ball, etc....  It's all there, man.  You don't need to look at advanced stats or analytics to see he just won't bench a player no matter how bad he's playing.  Dwight had no business being out there in that crucial stretch where Portland went to Hack-A-Dwight.  His player loyalty was a big contributing factor as to why the Rockets lost last night.

#48 rm90025

rm90025

Rookie

• Members
                • PipPip
                • 91 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:03 AM

Whether McHale has Lin or Beverley in the game, that player should be matched up with Lillard, not a forward like Parsons or Jones.  When Beverley and Lin are both on the floor, they can decide between them who should guard him. 

#49 miketheodio

miketheodio

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 353 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:00 AM

any of you guys look at this?

bad clock management (james harden shot selection). mchale- management of line ups and d12/timeouts. read and react offense ends up becoming disorganized leading to wasted actions. bad defensive rotations (jones)

what are your thoughts?

really feels like the offense often leads to ... not smart basketball.

#50 dbd

dbd

Rookie

• Members
                    • PipPip
                    • 85 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:23 PM

Our system is to shoot early in the clock but I totally agreed that we should burn the clock a bit while leading well in late game.

This poor clock management from us gave offensive team like Blazers got back in the game. Poor shot selections is on players but clock is on McHale.

Not double teaming LMA and putting Parsons on Lillard was poor decision. I think losing defensive coach Sampson on the eve of playoffs was huge blow to us.

#51 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPip
                      • 1,865 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:34 PM

Our system is to shoot early in the clock but I totally agreed that we should burn the clock a bit while leading well in late game.
                        This poor clock management from us gave offensive team like Blazers got back in the game. Poor shot selections is on players but clock is on McHale.

Not double teaming LMA and putting Parsons on Lillard was poor decision. I think losing defensive coach Sampson on the eve of playoffs was huge blow to us.

AMAZING, So the ROCKETS lose by 2 in OT and everything is f'g terrible.

So the Rockets have like a 2 or 4 point lead with 3 minutes to go and somehow the Rockets are supposed to burn the clock (which by the way they did close to the rule) and simply run out the game clock? Really???

#52 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                        • PipPipPipPipPip
                        • 1,865 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:36 PM

Does anybody else on this board even care (and are able) to respond to all this?

#53 dbd

dbd

Rookie

• Members
                          • PipPip
                          • 85 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:46 PM

AMAZING, So the ROCKETS lose by 2 in OT and everything is f'g terrible.

So the Rockets have like a 2 or 4 point lead with 3 minutes to go and somehow the Rockets are supposed to burn the clock (which by the way they did close to the rule) and simply run out the game clock? Really???

Obviously, either you didn't watch or you did watch but didn't see it.

#54 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                            • 4,137 posts
                            • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:01 PM

The guy in the video isn't wrong--I like his stuff a lot.

McHale definitely made some decisions that are easy to second-guess.  Should he have sat Dwight for a couple minutes?  That's debatable.  Should he have instructed them to burn more clock?  This one I agree with.  I'm willing to cut slack as they are learning and it has always been my interpretation that McHale lets his guys learn through failure.  They saw first-hand how NOT to nurse a decent lead with 4 minutes left.  (Again, without a miracle 3 by Aldridge and Lillard along with a terrible call on Dwight this doesn't happen).

Parsons has said HE wants to be able to guard positions 1-4 on the court.  McHale is giving him the opportunity to prove it.  It looks like he is biting off more than he can chew as he just doesn't have the quickness to be effective against those guys.  Still, I don't mind letting him prove himself wrong.

McHale is anything but a micro-manager and people who are looking for that should just give up and wait because you will not be pleased with McHale's coaching.

The bottom line is 90% of the complaints are clearly coming out of one camp--I'm doing my best to ignore these.  The rest is fair, but I'm just not concerned.  The read and react offense can work, but the guys have to improve their chemistry, ball movement, off-ball movement....everything really.  Right now it looks ugly--because it often is.  Portland played a solid game of team D against us.  Does anyone think McHale is just going to sit on his hands all week and do nothing?  Does anyone think Bickerstaff isn't giving everyone an earful while going over game tape?

There was plenty to criticize in that game and the guy in that video did a great job of it (although, he certainly seemed to have a little man-crush on Lin.  He gushed over his positives and dismissed his failures all too easily.  Lin's turnover was not a by-product of the system....it was a by-product of dribbling in the lane too long and not getting the heck out of there.)

Regarding LMA--the Rockets either need to seal off the rest of the court and force him to beat us by himself or double him and scramble around forcing contested 3's.  I'd like to see them front him with Dwight with D-Mo (presumably guarding Lopez) able to rotate behind.  This will make entry passes tough and eat up a lot of clock if they insist on doing it.  Plus Dwight can quickly rotate back to Lopez or behind D-Mo for weakside help.....I don't know if it will work, but I won't be mad if they try it :) .

#55 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                            • PipPipPipPipPip
                            • 1,865 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:26 PM

Obviously, either you didn't watch or you did watch but didn't see it.

I paid to be on Row 10 on Courtside so yes, I obviously was watching. I don't make things up like you know who and whom that posts on this board.

#56 uojoe82

uojoe82

• Members
                              • PipPipPip
                              • 123 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:31 PM

The guy in the video isn't wrong--I like his stuff a lot.

McHale definitely made some decisions that are easy to second-guess.  Should he have sat Dwight for a couple minutes?  That's debatable.  Should he have instructed them to burn more clock?  This one I agree with.  I'm willing to cut slack as they are learning and it has always been my interpretation that McHale lets his guys learn through failure.  They saw first-hand how NOT to nurse a decent lead with 4 minutes left.  (Again, without a miracle 3 by Aldridge and Lillard along with a terrible call on Dwight this doesn't happen).

Parsons has said HE wants to be able to guard positions 1-4 on the court.  McHale is giving him the opportunity to prove it.  It looks like he is biting off more than he can chew as he just doesn't have the quickness to be effective against those guys.  Still, I don't mind letting him prove himself wrong.

McHale is anything but a micro-manager and people who are looking for that should just give up and wait because you will not be pleased with McHale's coaching.

The bottom line is 90% of the complaints are clearly coming out of one camp--I'm doing my best to ignore these.  The rest is fair, but I'm just not concerned.  The read and react offense can work, but the guys have to improve their chemistry, ball movement, off-ball movement....everything really.  Right now it looks ugly--because it often is.  Portland played a solid game of team D against us.  Does anyone think McHale is just going to sit on his hands all week and do nothing?  Does anyone think Bickerstaff isn't giving everyone an earful while going over game tape?

There was plenty to criticize in that game and the guy in that video did a great job of it (although, he certainly seemed to have a little man-crush on Lin.  He gushed over his positives and dismissed his failures all too easily.  Lin's turnover was not a by-product of the system....it was a by-product of dribbling in the lane too long and not getting the heck out of there.)

Regarding LMA--the Rockets either need to seal off the rest of the court and force him to beat us by himself or double him and scramble around forcing contested 3's.  I'd like to see them front him with Dwight with D-Mo (presumably guarding Lopez) able to rotate behind.  This will make entry passes tough and eat up a lot of clock if they insist on doing it.  Plus Dwight can quickly rotate back to Lopez or behind D-Mo for weakside help.....I don't know if it will work, but I won't be mad if they try it :) .

I don't think that doubling LMA is a good idea. The remedy for stopping LMA lies with D12. Although D12 is a center there should be no reason he can't try to guard LMA. Its not like LMA is a Dirk Nowitzki or a stretch 4 that runs around the court, LMA likes to get to his spots and work his way to the hoop or shoot elbow jumpers. LMA scored in a bunch of ways last game but it wasn't as if his elbow jumpers were falling like crazy.

Both players are around 6'10'' or 6'11''. D12 has about 30 lbs on LMA however I don't think D12 gives up much quickness. If D12 wants to earn his salary this year he needs to be able to slow Aldridge down. Putting D12 on LMA leaves T Jones on Lopez which is also a mismatch so I'd consider playing Asik or DMO. T Jones doesnt need to play so much, his offense and rebounding are helpful but he's lost on the defensive end, and the Rockets troubles arent in scoring points.

1 month ago Zach Lowe published a great article on Grantland about whats wrong with the Blazers. At the time the Blazers were playing 500 ball and had plummeted from their insane (not sustainable) start. The close games they used to win early in the season now became losses. To summarize the article the Blazers regression was due to LMA not being the same LMA from the first half of the season.

http://grantland.com...th-the-blazers/

Injuries slowed LMA down and this slowed Portland down. To summarize the article the Blazers offense isn't on point unless LMA see's double teams. Double teams lead to 3 point shots and Portland has 2 of the best shooters in the league. I don't know if the Rockets have the perimeter defenders to be disciplined enough to scramble to open shooters, they have enough trouble keeping an eye on their own man. 

I'd rather see D12 take on the challenge of guarding LMA. I realize this might open up the rim for Lillard but I'd rather deal with Lillard shooting layups then open three point looks. Although last game he was great around the rim for the season Lillard is actually below average around the rim.

Step up D12, 

#57 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                                • PipPipPipPipPip
                                • 1,865 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:32 PM

As I recall, Parsons was on Lillard once or twice in the latter part of the 4th quarter due to switches on the screens.

Double teaming LMA, well, that is an interesting take. So the Rockets double team LMA leaving wide open 3's for Damion Lillard, Wesley Matthews, Batum, et al??

Pick your poison if you ask me.

I'd rather be in Row 10 watching the game and rooting for my team (the Rockets) instead of making those devilish decisions.

Edited by rocketrick, 22 April 2014 - 03:35 PM.

#58 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                                  • PipPipPipPipPip
                                  • 1,865 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:38 PM

I don't think that doubling LMA is a good idea. The remedy for stopping LMA lies with D12. Although D12 is a center there should be no reason he can't try to guard LMA. Its not like LMA is a Dirk Nowitzki or a stretch 4 that runs around the court, LMA likes to get to his spots and work his way to the hoop or shoot elbow jumpers. LMA scored in a bunch of ways last game but it wasn't as if his elbow jumpers were falling like crazy.

Both players are around 6'10'' or 6'11''. D12 has about 30 lbs on LMA however I don't think D12 gives up much quickness. If D12 wants to earn his salary this year he needs to be able to slow Aldridge down. Putting D12 on LMA leaves T Jones on Lopez which is also a mismatch so I'd consider playing Asik or DMO. T Jones doesnt need to play so much, his offense and rebounding are helpful but he's lost on the defensive end, and the Rockets troubles arent in scoring points.

1 month ago Zach Lowe published a great article on Grantland about whats wrong with the Blazers. At the time the Blazers were playing 500 ball and had plummeted from their insane (not sustainable) start. The close games they used to win early in the season now became losses. To summarize the article the Blazers regression was due to LMA not being the same LMA from the first half of the season.

http://grantland.com...th-the-blazers/

Injuries slowed LMA down and this slowed Portland down. To summarize the article the Blazers offense isn't on point unless LMA see's double teams. Double teams lead to 3 point shots and Portland has 2 of the best shooters in the league. I don't know if the Rockets have the perimeter defenders to be disciplined enough to scramble to open shooters, they have enough trouble keeping an eye on their own man. 

I'd rather see D12 take on the challenge of guarding LMA. I realize this might open up the rim for Lillard but I'd rather deal with Lillard shooting layups then open three point looks. Although last game he was great around the rim for the season Lillard is actually below average around the rim.

Step up D12,

One, the Blazers will absolutely attack the lane if D12 is out near the 3 point line guarding Aldridge.

If I were the Blazers in this situation, simply attack the lane, end up with a 2 on 1 situation with T Jones (or Asik, etc.) guarding the rim and either go in for a layup or pass off to Lopez for the Dunk.

#59 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                                    • PipPipPipPipPip
                                    • 1,865 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:40 PM

Two, repost Aldridge after swinging the ball back towards the free throw line as Aldridge works his way closer to the bucket as D12 is forced to sag and protect the rim because of One (see my prior post)

#60 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
                                      • PipPipPipPipPip
                                      • 1,290 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:59 PM

Its so hard to sit Dwight even if they are hacking him because without him our defense goes from mediocre to plain awful, sometimes your just going to have to roll with Dwight and hope he can knock down a few rather than being a layup line on the other end. Doubling LMA sounds great in theory but we don't have tony allen or iggy out there, parsons and harden struggle enough on defense already I would rather not have them trying to scramble around giving up open threes. Mchale might try Dwight on him when asik is in to play center or even let dmo play him for a few minutes and just let him be real physical and not worry about fouls. But really if harden goes 10-28 instead of 8 it wouldn't have mattered that Aldridge went off. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users