Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Drew in Abilene : (15 February 2014 - 11:01 PM) If he can become a reliable 3-and-d guy, I'm sure Morey would find a place for him.
@  miketheodio : (15 February 2014 - 10:58 PM) i think the idea that covington could be the 2/3 wing guy next year is floating around in morey's head. i'd bet on covington.
@  Drew in Abilene : (15 February 2014 - 10:38 PM) And he broke the record for most points in the DL ASG with 33, and won MVP. Makes me happy that Houston kept him back when we were talking about who was getting cut.
@  Drew in Abilene : (15 February 2014 - 10:19 PM) Covington has been impressive in the DL All-Star game so far.
@  YaoMan : (14 February 2014 - 03:24 PM) OKC almost lost but that Durant guy went nuts again for 43 and 12...
@  It's Dee... : (14 February 2014 - 10:32 AM) #3 that's just Grand but it ain't over yet
@  RollingWave : (14 February 2014 - 09:10 AM) I've said this at the seasons start, realistic expectation, top 4 seed, 2nd round. anything beyond that is GREAT
@  RollingWave : (14 February 2014 - 09:09 AM) Really, the realistic expectation of this team this year is 2nd round, as long as we can get past the first, I'm not going to be disappointed with whatever happens next
@  BrentYen : (14 February 2014 - 05:20 AM) Should we expect OKC to lose today too? lol
@  RudyT1995 : (13 February 2014 - 05:39 PM) I expect OKC to finish 1st, us and Clips battle for 2nd an 3rd, Spurs to rest their guys more and settle into 4th
@  feelingsuper... : (13 February 2014 - 04:10 PM) I'd rather the Rockets face the Clippers in the second round than the Thunder but either way it's going to be a 'pay your dues' postseason for the good guys.
@  feelingsuper... : (13 February 2014 - 04:09 PM) i don't think the Clippers are just heating but rather they enemy number 2 for the Rockets. The Clippers have an established core that has been through brutal playoff tests and this year they will be better. Their problem is they cannot win out against the Thunder in the postseason.
@  RudyT1995 : (13 February 2014 - 07:53 AM) I'm more worried about playing Clippers in 2nd round and not having home court.
@  RollingWave : (13 February 2014 - 06:58 AM) Don't worry, we'll pass the Spurs ;) (i hope.)
@  RudyT1995 : (13 February 2014 - 06:54 AM) because the Blazer are going to continue coming down to earth. Clippers are heating up and could be a problem for us.
@  RudyT1995 : (13 February 2014 - 06:51 AM) Didn't say that you weren't watching. I'm just saying that it's better for us if Clippers lost.
@  feelingsuper... : (13 February 2014 - 06:23 AM) I know they lost to the Clippers I was watching the game.
@  RudyT1995 : (13 February 2014 - 06:20 AM) Yeah, but they lost to the Clippers. I'd rather the Clips lost than the Blazers.
@  feelingsuper... : (13 February 2014 - 06:08 AM) Blazers lose, yesssss!
@  miketheodio : (13 February 2014 - 05:06 AM) can't believe im actually cheering for the clippers...even if it's for one game

Photo

Howard/Asik pairing

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#81 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:03 PM

@tombrokeoff
    I agree. what many here fail to remember is only 5 or 6 games separated the top seed from the 5th seed. every game we throw away fooling around may be the difference between being #2 or #6. the rest of the western conference isn't going to wait for us to figure it out, they are going to try to kick us while we're down. it's the nature of competition. we can not fall into a hole on the season like we are doing some of these game and expect to come back later.

There has never, ever been an NBA Championship that was won in week 1 or even month 1 of the regular season.

Patience my friends. As the old saying goes, Rome was not built in a day.

#82 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
    • 1,500 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:02 PM

It depends on the defensive prowess of the PF. Someone like Ibaka will allow Smith to shine.

Well, sure.  But we don't have Ibaka.  That's like saying Chandler Parsons' shooting% woudl go up w/ someone like CP3.  

We're looking for a viable backup within the context of this team's construct.  And this team's construct is Dwight on the bench and someone like either Casspi, Parsons, or Terrence Jones at the power forward (in those backup minutes).  

#83 j_wehr

j_wehr

Rookie

• Members
      • PipPip
      • 72 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:43 PM

I'm curious what people think about this quote from Arturo Galletti:

"Given the amount of perimeter shooting on this Rockets team, it should be dead easy to play D12 in the post with Asik just outside the post ready for putbacks and rebounds, two shooters in the corners and a shooter/slasher at the top of the key. If I can figure this out, Daryl’s guys most likely have too."

#84 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 2,593 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:23 PM

I'm curious what people think about this quote from Arturo Galletti:

"Given the amount of perimeter shooting on this Rockets team, it should be dead easy to play D12 in the post with Asik just outside the post ready for putbacks and rebounds, two shooters in the corners and a shooter/slasher at the top of the key. If I can figure this out, Daryl’s guys most likely have too."

I agree.  I would go with a different approach myself (due to Asik's clumsy hands).  I would use Asik in a high screen (like last year) and have Dwight lurking along the baseline.  He has the speed and athleticism to get open, get rebounds, whatever.  I am not sure Asik could pull this off.  Currently, Andre Drummond is filling this role in Detroit and it is working ok--not great, but they are still trying to incorporate Josh Smith and Brandon Jennings (who is only 3 games in) so I will hold off on judgement.  It seems to work best on double passes.  The guard penetrates, draws the defense, he passes to Monroe on the left block who then draws the rotation defense (drummond's man) and then he slips the ball past him for an easy Drummond dunk on the weak side.  I see no reason the Rockets cannot do this--Asik's hands aside.

I know Greg Smith is villainized as the world's worst defender, but I drool at the thought of running plays with Smith and Dwight on the floor where the defense must make rotations and one of them is flanking either side of the basket.  There are very few teams in the NBA that I think could deal with that effectively without packing the paint to the point our three point shooters will have a field day.

I was a huge proponent of the twin towers over the Summer.  While I still believe that keeping Asik for playoff, match-up, and insurance purposes is crucial I have also conceded that our small ball line-up is superior as far as team success goes in the regular season.  I think the Rockets need to get a couple of "twin tower" sets down that they can at least convert at a decent rate and then after that save it for a rainy day and let the run n gun offense loose on the league.

#85 2016Champions

2016Champions

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 3,146 posts
        • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:56 PM

Having the option of the pairing is definitely an option worth trying out against certain life ups in certain situations. I'm just not happy that we're losing games because of our slow starts. I'm not sure how many disgusting quarters we have to witness before we're all in agreement the pairing shouldn't be option A.

"We're not satisfied with where we're at, but we're optimistic on where things will go from here" - Daryl Morey

#86 Hemingway

Hemingway

• Members
        • Pip
        • 7 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:53 PM

One problem is they are both abysmal Free Thrower's. So there's no point in having them both work the floor toward the end of games, which is how we've seen it shake out. I think in spurts it can be a great combination, remember those 40 rebounds? No one can rebound over BOTH of them. McHale seems to be trying to stagger them, and the minutes they share the floor seem to be limited. I think what the team needs is a defensive lockdown SF. Some wing who can shut down anyone. Then the towers would have less of a defensive load to carry. We have a LOT of 3pt shooting wings and stretch fours.

#87 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 3,204 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:53 PM

There has never, ever been an NBA Championship that was won in week 1 or even month 1 of the regular season.

Patience my friends. As the old saying goes, Rome was not built in a day.

true.........but this is where the seeds of greatness can be planted. sometimes playoff seeding is as important as how well a team is playing. example look at Memphis last year. the playoff seedings played out just right for them to reach the WCF. the lower your seeding.........the more difficult your path to the finals. so kissing off a few games in October and November can be a big deal come May. Rome may not have been built in a day, but it's not to early to lay a good foundation

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#88 CC.

CC.

Rookie

• Members
          • PipPip
          • 69 posts
          • LocationRio Grande Valley, TX

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:44 AM

true.........but this is where the seeds of greatness can be planted. sometimes playoff seeding is as important as how well a team is playing. example look at Memphis last year. the playoff seedings played out just right for them to reach the WCF. the lower your seeding.........the more difficult your path to the finals. so kissing off a few games in October and November can be a big deal come May. Rome may not have been built in a day, but it's not to early to lay a good foundation

I like that example of Memphis. An appropriate seed can ease the competition during the playoffs, which I forgot was an advantage.

Even though the Rockets are now sluggishly starting, I'm still seeing them as 3rd-6th seed. OKC has played well so far, and SA with Pop is just too good of a team to drop lower. GSW can contend for a top seed too. I see Phoenix (with Bledsoe it's possible), Mavericks, and the Timberwolves in the mix for the lower seeds.

#89 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,331 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:14 AM

Miami started 9-8 their first season with LeBron, D-Wade and Bosh. They achieved a spot in the Finals although losing to Dallas. Most experts would agree it took Miami 18 months to get the consistency to become a winner.

Not sure why some on this board expect the Rockets to be able to turn on a dime with all the changes to the roster and playing rotation. If the Heat with arguably better players couldn't do it, why should the Rockets be different?

#90 Drew in Abilene

Drew in Abilene

• Moderators
            • 217 posts
            • LocationAbilene

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:04 PM

Last night's game was frustrating, but also definitely a step in a better direction than the last two games Houston played against teams from L.A. Since this thread is about the Howard-Asik pairing, here is how they fared in minutes together.

During their first stint together at the beginning of the game, results were not ideal. Missed shots and a few defensive lapses led the Rockets into another sluggish start. (Falling behind 18-8 is no way to help out the forum posters who are defending this line-up, guys!) One takeaway for me, though, was that the game would have looked drastically different when Asik subbed out if Harden, Beverley, or Parsons had hit any of their threes. During the 6:40 stretch with both bigs on the court, our players couldn't hit anything from deep, despite several open looks. This was not a case of being so well defended that they couldn't get a clean look at the basket, it just seemed like they started cold. One or two makes out of the five bombs from outside would have made a world of difference.

This slow start was also hampered by lackluster defending. There were more bright spots than in Houston's trip to L.A., but the perimeter defenders still did not do a great job of sticking with their man, allowing open shots that the Clippers were drilling early.

By the start of the 3rd quarter, the Rockets had turned a ten point deficit into a nine point lead. With the offense kicking in gear during the late first and second quarters, it was time to see if the Twin Towers could maintain the lead or even expand it. Things did not look positive at first, as the Clippers immediately cut the lead to four. But stifling defense and a few nice shots soon pushed the lead back to nine. During the eight and a half minutes Dwight and Omer shared the floor, Houston mostly maintained a lead of around 7-11 points. When Asik subbed out with 3:29 left in the third quarter, the Clippers had not yet been able to take control of the game and were down by seven points.

During the next few minutes, as the quarter waned, the Clippers were able to reassert their dominance. A seven point hole was flipped into a two point lead. The fourth quarter was not fun for the Houston faithful. We lost.

A takeaway for me is that if the Howard-Asik pairing will look like the first quarter version if the wings can't hit from distance. A major difference in the tandem's performances was that Houston hit 0-5 threes in the first, 2-5 in the third. 

The Rockets looked pretty dang bad during the first quarter when Howard and Asik played together, then looked great with only one of them the rest of the half. But they looked quite good during at the start of the third quarter with them playing together, then looked lost when they went small. I hope they become more consistent as time goes on, and that they can combine the strong second half Twin Tower performance with the first half's excellent small ball. If that happens, it will be a thing to behold.

#91 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 3,204 posts
            • Locationhouston

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:08 PM

I got a different view of the first and third quarters. you say the Asik/Howard pairing would have worked in the first quarter if we had hit some outside shots, but I say if you start out getting to the rim the outside shots will take care of themselves. in the first quarter the pairing stunk. in the third quarter we hit a couple outside shots, but still stunk. the key to the game was Beverly's defense on cp3. as soon as Beverly went to the bench with his 4th foul the flood gates opened. I am NOT seeing the positive sign you see. we got out rebounded and appeared unable to stop Griffin or Jordan down low. Jordan alone out rebounded both Howard and Asik...........pitiful.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#92 akozanli7

akozanli7

• Members
            • Pip
            • 5 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:39 PM

Asik for Ilyasova?

#93 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 3,204 posts
              • Locationhouston

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:55 PM

Asik for Ilyasova?

HI.......WELCOME TO THE FORUM :) that idea has been proposed here and it's a good one

#94 feelingsupersonic

feelingsupersonic

Officer

• Moderators
              • 1,668 posts
              • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:21 PM

Last night's game was frustrating, but also definitely a step in a better direction than the last two games Houston played against teams from L.A. Since this thread is about the Howard-Asik pairing, here is how they fared in minutes together.

During their first stint together at the beginning of the game, results were not ideal. Missed shots and a few defensive lapses led the Rockets into another sluggish start. (Falling behind 18-8 is no way to help out the forum posters who are defending this line-up, guys!) One takeaway for me, though, was that the game would have looked drastically different when Asik subbed out if Harden, Beverley, or Parsons had hit any of their threes. During the 6:40 stretch with both bigs on the court, our players couldn't hit anything from deep, despite several open looks. This was not a case of being so well defended that they couldn't get a clean look at the basket, it just seemed like they started cold. One or two makes out of the five bombs from outside would have made a world of difference.

This slow start was also hampered by lackluster defending. There were more bright spots than in Houston's trip to L.A., but the perimeter defenders still did not do a great job of sticking with their man, allowing open shots that the Clippers were drilling early.

By the start of the 3rd quarter, the Rockets had turned a ten point deficit into a nine point lead. With the offense kicking in gear during the late first and second quarters, it was time to see if the Twin Towers could maintain the lead or even expand it. Things did not look positive at first, as the Clippers immediately cut the lead to four. But stifling defense and a few nice shots soon pushed the lead back to nine. During the eight and a half minutes Dwight and Omer shared the floor, Houston mostly maintained a lead of around 7-11 points. When Asik subbed out with 3:29 left in the third quarter, the Clippers had not yet been able to take control of the game and were down by seven points.

During the next few minutes, as the quarter waned, the Clippers were able to reassert their dominance. A seven point hole was flipped into a two point lead. The fourth quarter was not fun for the Houston faithful. We lost.

A takeaway for me is that if the Howard-Asik pairing will look like the first quarter version if the wings can't hit from distance. A major difference in the tandem's performances was that Houston hit 0-5 threes in the first, 2-5 in the third.

The Rockets looked pretty dang bad during the first quarter when Howard and Asik played together, then looked great with only one of them the rest of the half. But they looked quite good during at the start of the third quarter with them playing together, then looked lost when they went small. I hope they become more consistent as time goes on, and that they can combine the strong second half Twin Tower performance with the first half's excellent small ball. If that happens, it will be a thing to behold.

I completely agree with you Drew. To me it's pretty simple, like Feigen tweeted, after Asik left in the third and the Rickets went small till the end of the game they shot about 20%. That doesn't make the small lineup a bad one it just tells me this team is still adjusting. I am waiting till the first half of the season to really form a definitive opinion. They are not going to the Finals this year, this team is in it's formative years and last year it was in its infancy. Fans want to win now but an NBA organization surveys a much bigger picture at all times.

#95 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 3,204 posts
              • Locationhouston

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:13 PM

I completely agree with you Drew. To me it's pretty simple, like Feigen tweeted, after Asik left in the third and the Rockets went small till the end of the game they shot about 20%. That doesn't make the small lineup a bad one it just tells me this team is still adjusting. I am waiting till the first half of the season to really form a definitive opinion. They are not going to the Finals this year, this team is in it's formative years and last year it was in its infancy. Fans want to win now but an NBA organization surveys a much bigger picture at all times.

I would agree the team is still adjusting, but we have to much firepower to be looking this poorly

#96 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 420 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:19 AM

While the Howard/Asik isn't working, the small 4 isn't working that great against good teams.  The problem is, when we go small, we go SF.  When we bring the SF in, we can't guard the other team's PF.  We need a guy can hit some shots from outside and can guard a PF.  Unfortunately we don't have anyone on our roster who can do that.  A guy who can hit an 18 footer would be great for this team.  Someone like Scola would work fit great.

#97 BrentYen

BrentYen

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 260 posts
                • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:22 AM

I would agree the team is still adjusting, but we have to much firepower to be looking this poorly

I think that's one the the reason actually, all players can shoot, means harder to decide who shoots.

Is a big Jeremy Lin fan and was a big ROX fan. More importantly, a huge bball fan in general.

#98 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPip
                • 1,331 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:01 PM

It's actually pretty simple in my mind, the open 3 point shots the Rockets are getting just aren't dropping like they usually do.

I believe once the Rockets shoot their normal percentage of 3 point shots, the ship will be righted quite quickly.

#99 Richards

Richards

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 390 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:07 PM

I hate to say this but don't know how to say differently.

Most of our players are one-trick-pony. They either good at offence or defense, not both.

That separate us from Heat and Spurs. They have players do well on both end of the floor.

So, unless our players improve their skills, I don't see how we match up well against those teams.

#100 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPip
                    • 1,331 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:16 PM

I just don't agree at all. Who believes that Bosh and Lebron and Ray Allen are defensive stalwarts on the Heat? Is Battier an automatic offense weapon each and every game? Of course not. Is Tony Parker a defensive stopper for the Spurs, hardly!

This is the NBA. Very, very few players can play effectively for long stretches of the game on both ends of the court. It's a team game which means the team that can move the ball most effectively for the highest percentage shots are probably (not always, it is the NBA) going to come out ahead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users