Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (13 March 2019 - 08:50 PM) Great to see the good news continues. Morey, Beard and Mike need to stay together.
@  slick shoes : (13 March 2019 - 05:28 PM) Morey is back for another 5 years.
@  Losthief : (13 March 2019 - 07:40 AM) well house is back according to macmahon. I am about 10x less excited about this as i would of been two months ago.
@  thejohnnygold : (04 March 2019 - 03:14 PM) A worthwhile read about Harden and the step-back 3.
@  slick shoes : (22 February 2019 - 09:52 PM) Hopefully playing with some talent will bring back the old form.
@  Mario Peña : (22 February 2019 - 09:32 PM) That’s a good point slick. I watched him (on tv) for a couple games when he was with Erie. He looked good though not as high energy as I remembered him.
@  slick shoes : (22 February 2019 - 05:09 PM) I will be very interested to see how my man T Jones fares this time around. I doubt McFail did much to improve him as a player.
@  Mario Peña : (07 February 2019 - 02:46 AM) We got Schump!
@  slick shoes : (28 January 2019 - 01:47 PM) I really hope AD doesn't land in LA....
@  redfaithful : (24 January 2019 - 01:54 PM) Harden's lead in the scorers board is now 7 pts/game... ridicilous
@  thejohnnygold : (22 January 2019 - 12:01 AM) Faried is intriguing...
@  Mario Peña : (17 January 2019 - 01:17 PM) That game last night was a tough loss but that Nets team was scrappy and hit all those threes at the end. The defensive effort was lacking but these loses happen.
@  slick shoes : (14 January 2019 - 09:21 PM) Clint out for a month!
@  slick shoes : (10 January 2019 - 11:52 PM) I would almost rather shelf CP until after the all star break to keep him fresh for a potential postseason run. Would be nice to get EG back sooner than later though.
@  thejohnnygold : (10 January 2019 - 10:22 PM) This has been a brutal stretch of games and we've handled it about as well as could be hoped for. It will be nice to cruise through a slightly softer part of the schedule for a while.
@  Mario Peña : (08 January 2019 - 07:14 PM) The Rockets smoked those Nuggets last night!
@  Mario Peña : (04 January 2019 - 06:49 AM) MVP!!!
@  redfaithful : (04 January 2019 - 06:44 AM) Wow, great great win
@  thejohnnygold : (03 January 2019 - 02:32 PM) I had to go look that up...then I remembered :)
@  slick shoes : (02 January 2019 - 08:37 PM) I'm with JG on this one. March 29, 1990.

Photo

Houston Rockets Rookie De'Anthony Melton is a Ray of Hope article by Rahat

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 12:10 PM

MCW has significant NBA exerience. Melton has like o.oo1% chance to beat out MCW to start the season..

The good news is that both will make the Rockets roster this 2018-19 season. MCW  will have more minutes to start the season through New Years Day IMO then let's see what happens (if anything) afterwards.

Melton could end up being a much better NBA player than MCW in the long run.

The Rockets are much more concerned about the short run and actual NBA experience (like I say all the time).

IF (and it is a Gigantic question mark today) MCW can prove to hit wide open 3's to start the season, he will easily solidify a key bench role going forward

Edited by rocketrick, 16 July 2018 - 12:18 PM.

#2 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,934 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 12:13 PM

Nevertheless, D House IMO has proven his worth as a NBA role player moving forward. For various Rockets roster reasons right now, House is most likely to end up on another NBA team's roster very shortly. It is what it is.....

#3 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 5,135 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 July 2018 - 02:22 PM

We must also consider the possibility of a trade.  While Melton's potential is tantalizing, we are in a win-now mode.

Stealing Melton in the draft gave us a much better chance of swinging a deal that might include Ryan Anderson and his $40M baggage.

Looking around the league, there are really only two trades that make much sense to me (for both parties).

First, we send Anderson + Melton to Cleveland for K-Love.

Second, we send the same package to Sacramento because I think they can absorb the contract.  Basically, we give them Melton to take Anderson off our hands and get, maybe a 2nd rounder in return?

I'd still love to wrestle James Johnson out of Miami, but I doubt that is viable.

Personally, I like the Kevin Love trade.  I am far from his biggest fan, but he does upgrade the position and knows a ton about what it will take to topple the LeBrons and Warriors of the world.  Plus, I think D'Antoni, CP3, and Harden can coax the best out of him in a way that Lue/LeBron couldn't.

Of course, we can always keep Melton to ourselves and see what happens.  This draft may have been littered with "steals"--Porter Jr., Knox, Melton...I'm keeping an eye on Aaron Holiday, Zhaire Smith, and Miles Bridges too.  Plus, according to Mark Cuban, Doncic was the best player and "it wasn't even close".

#4 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,328 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 05:11 PM

I don't think its inconceivable Melton gets minutes over MCW.  Might as well work in guy that might be able to do some things come playoff time over a guy we know cant, even if he provides a slightly higher baseline right now.

That Love trade would be interesting, the Cavs seem to think they will still be a playoff team but if they don't start well Love is probably up for grabs around the deadline.

#5 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,934 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:50 PM

I actually like Melton. I just don't think 2018-19 is gonna be his year. All those teams passed on him in the Draft, I seriously doubt anyone is going to change their mind after 3-4 Summer League games against inferior competition. So trading him so soon seems out of the picture IMO.

I do believe that being on the right team at the right time makes a huge difference. My goodness, everybody doubted Eric Gordon when the Rockets signed him in Free Agency and after 2 years it is quite the opposite, right?

So my hope is that MCW is the right player on the right team at the right time. MCW certainly has proven he can be a very effective player in the NBA based on past history. 

If it doesn't work out, then the Rockets #4 guard position opens up for Melton (or a number of other possibilities going forward).

#6 Losthief

Losthief

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPipPip
          • 521 posts
          • LocationHouston

Posted 08 August 2018 - 12:38 AM

https://bleacherrepo...-swap-discussed

So we known Atlanta is open to moving bazemore for a bit (and now bazemore has said he would welcome it to either mil/hou), but ATL wants the 2019 draft pick and a young asset. The pick is fine, that is probably going to be 28nd-32nd anyways...and we haven't drafted in the first round on our own pick since capela.....no big deal its essentially a high 2nd and you can buy a mid 2nd pretty easily which we do every year so 10-15 spots-ish drop is no big deal at all.  

But they also want a young asset. Which makes sense (see pick conv above) from there viewpoint. Article suggest Melton. Is that too high (he was 40 something pick this year but has potential), who else would you be okay with. Harenstien and Zhou seem like the other possible options. Is either enough for atlanta, too much for us?  

Could we instead do 2019 and 2021 draft picks. Is that too much/enough?

I be okay with one of Harenstein/Zhou more than melton/2021 pick personally. Mostly b/c we have Capela long term and the positional overlap between Zhou/Harenstein would eventually lead to playing time issues if both developed b/c Capela isn't going anywhere and is only 24 so that leaves only backup 5/starting 4 minutes for the future open. Melton on the other hand is a young asset at a position we only have older guys at (the wing, but thankfully ennis is only 28 and MCW is only 26 so we finally are getting younger) so that overlap does not exist and he could be seeing a lot of playing time as soon as a year or two out.

Edited by Losthief, 08 August 2018 - 12:39 AM.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#7 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 5,135 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 August 2018 - 04:36 PM

https://bleacherrepo...-swap-discussed

So we known Atlanta is open to moving bazemore for a bit (and now bazemore has said he would welcome it to either mil/hou), but ATL wants the 2019 draft pick and a young asset. The pick is fine, that is probably going to be 28nd-32nd anyways...and we haven't drafted in the first round on our own pick since capela.....no big deal its essentially a high 2nd and you can buy a mid 2nd pretty easily which we do every year so 10-15 spots-ish drop is no big deal at all.  

But they also want a young asset. Which makes sense (see pick conv above) from there viewpoint. Article suggest Melton. Is that too high (he was 40 something pick this year but has potential), who else would you be okay with. Harenstien and Zhou seem like the other possible options. Is either enough for atlanta, too much for us?  

Could we instead do 2019 and 2021 draft picks. Is that too much/enough?

I be okay with one of Harenstein/Zhou more than melton/2021 pick personally. Mostly b/c we have Capela long term and the positional overlap between Zhou/Harenstein would eventually lead to playing time issues if both developed b/c Capela isn't going anywhere and is only 24 so that leaves only backup 5/starting 4 minutes for the future open. Melton on the other hand is a young asset at a position we only have older guys at (the wing, but thankfully ennis is only 28 and MCW is only 26 so we finally are getting younger) so that overlap does not exist and he could be seeing a lot of playing time as soon as a year or two out.

Hmmm, there isn't much to chew on in that Bleacher Report article--it's all pretty speculative.

Heck, it even went so far as to undercut itself and say that the Miami deal is more plausible right now.  I for one would prefer it.  Bazemore has the 3 pt. shooting, but either Johnson in Miami would help us against GS as well.

As far as an opinion on what asset we should give up out of Zhou, Hartenstein, and Melton...I'd have to go with Hartenstein.  I think he can be an NBA player and a starter on a bad team, but that's about as high as it goes for him.

Zhou oozes potential.  If we have to wait another year for him to put on weight then so be it.

Melton seems like a steal and I think we'd be crazy to swap him for Bazemore.

#8 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,934 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 05:59 PM

Today I agree with JG that the Rockets should keep Melton over anyone else.

Still, I doubt Atlanta is hot for any of those guys. They just want a future draft pick or two and money IMO. Otherwise they could have drafted any of these guys before the Rockets chose to draft them. 

Melton seems like a steal and I think we'd be crazy to swap him for Bazemore.

#9 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,934 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 06:57 PM

Obviously of course the trade Bazemore for Anderson in addition to the above. Bazemore still has 3 years left on his contract. Anderson only 2 more years. Makes me wonder if the Rockets perhaps could find a better trade in February at the NBA Trade Deadline?? Just wondering......

#10 Losthief

Losthief

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPipPip
              • 521 posts
              • LocationHouston

Posted 09 August 2018 - 05:26 AM

Or buyout. Carroll if nets flounder seems like an option

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#11 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
              • 5,135 posts
              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 August 2018 - 06:37 PM

Or buyout. Carroll if nets flounder seems like an option

I don't know about Carroll.  I haven't sen him play since he was in Toronto, but let's not forget they had to attach not one, but two draft picks to him just to get Justin Hamilton back in return (who they waived immediately).  It was a salary dump, but if he was worth anything they would have kept him considering they have to face LBJ in the playoffs.

I'm not sure he is the player he once was defensively.

#12 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
              • 1,605 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 03:18 AM

And just like that, he's gone...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users