Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Dan G : (17 April 2014 - 10:17 PM) That is some interesting news. We gotta get past Portland first, but I like that stat for the next round.
@  feelingsuper... : (17 April 2014 - 12:45 PM) So yesterday during Truehoop TV Amin said the teams that win any season series 4 to 0 go on in the post season with a 51 and 4 record versus the losing team. Hmmmmmm...
@  Buckko : (15 April 2014 - 05:22 AM) Hope we can get him back in the offseason, he was just signed for the rest of the offseason.
@  jorgeaam : (15 April 2014 - 04:16 AM) Bulls release Tornike Shengelia and sign Greg Smith, well, that didn't take long
@  Cooper : (15 April 2014 - 02:39 AM) nice win. Dwight looks like he's ready go. Bev's still a little rusty but he should be fine.
@  Sir Thursday : (14 April 2014 - 10:24 PM) Thanks huang, that's useful knowledge :).
@  08huangj : (14 April 2014 - 01:15 AM) I've watched a lot of his games
@  08huangj : (14 April 2014 - 01:15 AM) Guys, I live in Guangzhou. Just in case you didn't notice, Powell was in Guangzhou playing with the tigers before he came to the Rockets. No midrange shot. Good rebounder. Bad defender. Good at attacking the rim. This is my summary for his time at Guangzhou.
@  Cooper : (13 April 2014 - 11:16 PM) hes 6-9 so id guess more of a pf but it doesn't really matter either way I guess.
@  Buckko : (13 April 2014 - 11:02 PM) Not really, you seen his season averages? Not pretty.
@  Sir Thursday : (13 April 2014 - 10:18 PM) He's more of a PF, I thought. You could always make the specious "RINGZZZ!" argument, since he won two with the Lakers...
@  Buckko : (13 April 2014 - 09:04 PM) Waived Pittman, signed Josh Powell. I don't really get why they signed a scrub SF.
@  Drew in Abilene : (13 April 2014 - 02:41 AM) In the postgame interview, Bev said he was alright, but it looked iffy...
@  08huangj : (13 April 2014 - 02:40 AM) Not watching the game. Just looking at the play-by-plays.
@  08huangj : (13 April 2014 - 02:39 AM) Rockets win!
@  Drew in Abilene : (13 April 2014 - 02:39 AM) Oh gosh, I hope Beverley isn't hurt again... He was taken out in the last few seconds limping after falling and looking like he hurt his right knee...
@  08huangj : (13 April 2014 - 02:39 AM) yep
@  Drew in Abilene : (13 April 2014 - 02:35 AM) Harden, Lin, and Beverley all coming up big in these last few clutch minutes.
@  08huangj : (13 April 2014 - 02:01 AM) And why is Parsons missing?
@  08huangj : (13 April 2014 - 02:00 AM) If Rockets don't get better soon, they are not going to be the fourth seed in the western conference.

Photo

How realistic is a Houston Rockets championship?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:58 PM

New post: How realistic is a Houston Rockets championship?
    By: Justin Wehr

There are many reasons to believe the Rockets might have a legitimate shot at this year’s title. They went 4-0 against the team with the best record in the league. They have two of the top 10 players. They have one of the best records in the league since January. They are recovering from a host of injuries. They have a favorable draw. They have Patrick Beverley, who will eat you for an afternoon snack.

But what are their chances really? How do they compare to teams like San Antonio, Miami, Oklahoma City, LA Clippers, or Indiana? To find out, I looked at the projections from three reputable sources: Vegas Futures, Hollinger Playoff Odds, and Sports Club Stats.

According to these sources, only 4-6 teams are more likely to win the 2014 NBA title than the Houston Rockets. That’s the good news. The bad? The Rockets’ actual chances are about 4-6%.

Put another way, the Rockets are about as likely to win this year’s championship as Dwight Howard is to sink a half-court shot. That's the plain and painful truth.

The chart below shows the estimated championship probabilities from the three aforementioned sources (Vegas Futures, Hollinger Playoff Odds, and Sports Club Stats). As you can see, the championship is very likely to be awarded to one of five teams: San Antonio, Miami, Oklahoma City, LA Clippers, or Indiana. The Rockets are next in line, but effectively out of reach.

The bottom line: The Rockets have a very good team, good enough to challenge the best teams in the league, but in all likelihood not good enough to win 4 out of 7 games in four straight series.

2014 NBA championship odds

#2 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,291 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:30 PM

<br /><br /><p>Blood Moon Omen. I believe.</p>

#3 vonsteve

vonsteve

• Members
      • Pip
      • 49 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:18 AM

I don't disagree with this. But then again, I'd imagine our 94/95 6th-seeded team probably had an even smaller chance of winning the championship. So there's always room for hope.

#4 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 3,312 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:20 AM

BELIEVE AGAIN...................GO ROCKETS

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#5 Steven

Steven

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,548 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:55 AM

4 4 4 6

#6 Alituro

Alituro

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 398 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:19 PM

I don't disagree with this. But then again, I'd imagine our 94/95 6th-seeded team probably had an even smaller chance of winning the championship. So there's always room for hope.

Exactly, there is nothing certain. That team was 47-35 and 6th in the West. Our projected path couldn't be more favorable this season with our record against POR and SAS.. If we pass them, then the WCF will be tough, but hopefully the opponents are embattled enough by that time to even the playing field. We would beat whoever emerges out of the east if we get that far. SO there's 3/4 favorable matchups in our path to a ring. The teams above us can't boast the same thing, especially with SA up against MEM in the 1st round. Nor the Clippers against DAL then OKC, nor OKC against GS then LAC... Clippers against Dallas is the only other favorable 1st round match-up for the home team other than our 1st round..

Don't get me wrong, I don't realistically expect us to get past the 2nd round, but the stars sure have lined up in our favor more than just about anyone else's this season..

#7 bob schmidt

bob schmidt

Rookie

• Members
            • PipPip
            • 90 posts
            • LocationBrownsville, Texas

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:53 PM

The variables that exist game to game are impossible to predict, so we play the games to "find" the champion each year. Houston has enough depth and to win with even less than a perfect game each time out on the court. If OKC does not get a great game from KD, they are harder pressed to win than Houston is if Harden has a tough game, IMO. The Spurs have a similar problem, if Parker is not hot, they can find it hard to win. The Heat have to have LeBron performing to win, and so forth.

Every team out there has potential fatal flaws in that their talent is heavily invested in just a few players, including our Rockets. I think that we have a slight edge over most of the playoff teams in that regard. Sure, we could lose. But, I'll bet that most teams in the playoffs are not anxious to face us if we are basically healthy. We have a good chance for success unless "lady luck" abandons us somewhere along the way.

Houston is no less likely to win than anyone else in my mind, to answer the basic question of this topic. We are solid as a team, and have the talent. Now, we have to take the prize...

Edited by bob schmidt, 16 April 2014 - 03:03 PM.

#8 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,291 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:55 PM

Seriously blood moon on Passover on the night they secured home court and displayed the trophies in the locker room. It has been foretold.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)