Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Accordingly to the Internet, Cousins to the Celtics?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Maloney's Ghost

Matt Maloney's Ghost

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:35 AM

I can't see how the Celtics have more assets than us?

I can see the Celtics parting with Sully, Melo, and Green that the Kings value.

Green is overpaid, I think. Sully and Melo doesn't have the upside close the Cousins. Do they (The Kings) value Green that high?

I think we better assets. I would give up the rookie house, Parsons, T. Jones, Donatas Motiejunas.

Even though I think Cousins could learn alot from KG

Thoughts?

#2 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,188 posts
    • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:32 AM

As far as I can tell, the rumour flying around is "The Celtics are really interested in Demarcus Cousins". But I haven't seen anything that says the Kings are actually willing to deal him. The Celtics want him because they feel they have a locker room culture in place that would allow them to focus his energies into something productive. The media want the story to be true because they want Boston to be relevant and they don't like to see players with Cousins' potential rotting away on a dismal team like the Kings, so they put a bit of hype into it.

ST

#3 miketheodio

miketheodio

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 353 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

cousins isn't worth the risk. maybe if we were in year 3 or 4 with harden and we still weren't looking great then yeah. We aren't in a position of desperation. The free agents at the end of this season are pretty good. Millsap and josh smith come to mind.

adding a young problematic player to a young, inexperienced team....? harden will attract players. The Rockets don't have to act like they have the previous 3 seasons.

#4 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
      • 1,547 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

When the Cousins news first broke, I wrote about this - Boston's the location that far and away makes the most sense for Cousins. There's no one else in the league that could better handle him than KG. No way Garnett would put up with his BS.

As far as the OP's proposal, that is way, way too much to give up. I wouldn't pursue him if I were the Rockets unless I could get a very good bargain deal. They are no longer in a position of need where they have to take risks, especially when they've already been burned by Royce White and Terrence Williams. In sum, I'd want Cousins, but only at the perfect deal.

#5 Matt Maloney's Ghost

Matt Maloney's Ghost

Rookie

• Members
        • PipPip
        • 57 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

I wouldn't burn Morey if he overpaid for Cousins. The risk is worth the reward.

We didn't give up much for T Williams.
          White could still turn into an asset.

I was playing around with the trade machine, You know whats scary.

Kawhi Leonard, Tiago Splinter, and draft picks, for Cousins makes a lot of sense. The Spurs have to make a move to get younger at some point. This has to be their last run.

#6 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 4,125 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

When the Cousins news first broke, I wrote about this - Boston's the location that far and away makes the most sense for Cousins. There's no one else in the league that could better handle him than KG. No way Garnett would put up with his BS.

As far as the OP's proposal, that is way, way too much to give up. I wouldn't pursue him if I were the Rockets unless I could get a very good bargain deal. They are no longer in a position of need where they have to take risks, especially when they've already been burned by Royce White and Terrence Williams. In sum, I'd want Cousins, but only at the perfect deal.

here is one problem with that..........the kings aren't trying to do a deal for cousins wellfare they are trying to do a deal that benifits the kings and boston sinply don't have the pieces (IMO). there will be a lot of rumors b4 this situation is settled. I expect cousins to be traded right b4 the trade deadline and the rockets to be one of the major players.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#7 miketheodio

miketheodio

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 353 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

I wouldn't burn Morey if he overpaid for Cousins. The risk is worth the reward.

We didn't give up much for T Williams.
            White could still turn into an asset.

I was playing around with the trade machine, You know whats scary.

Kawhi Leonard, Tiago Splinter, and draft picks, for Cousins makes a lot of sense. The Spurs have to make a move to get younger at some point. This has to be their last run.

if players like martin and lowry get frustrated with the organization, what makes you think cousins will mesh well? we aren't going to get him for 2 forwards. Kings want a lot.

the rockets dont have to take risks. millsap and josh smith are FAs next season. so many people are trying to jump the shark with cousins. cousins will only benefit from a veteran organization. spurs and celtics are the best examples, but the spurs dont want him.

#8 Matt Maloney's Ghost

Matt Maloney's Ghost

Rookie

• Members
            • PipPip
            • 57 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

if players like martin and lowry get frustrated with the organization, what makes you think cousins will mesh well? we aren't going to get him for 2 forwards. Kings want a lot.

the rockets dont have to take risks. millsap and josh smith are FAs next season. so many people are trying to jump the shark with cousins. cousins will only benefit from a veteran organization. spurs and celtics are the best examples, but the spurs dont want him.

@Miketheodio

I have two issues with your statement about FA next season. DM hasn't been able to get anyone to sign here through free agency because I believe when good players hit free agency, every player is over-valued. He doesn't want to pay Milsap or Smith what other teams are willingly to pay. DM has to get his players through trade. You could make the case that players want to come play with Harden but I really don't think that has any clout yet.

MIlsap or Smith ceilings aren't as high as Cousins. The Rockets have to take risks unless you want to be a 6th to 8th seed every season. We tend to fall in love with our rookies (because DM does a great job) but none of them will be All Stars. Trade them.

I am not saying Cousins will be an automatic perfect fit. He's even more of a headcase than White but for once, I would like to see our team have superior talent than the other. We can hope he turns its around like Zach Randolph,

We can beat any team on a given night, but in a series, I dont like our chances.

#9 miketheodio

miketheodio

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 353 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

@Miketheodio

I have two issues with your statement about FA next season. DM hasn't been able to get anyone to sign here through free agency because I believe when good players hit free agency, every player is over-valued. He doesn't want to pay Milsap or Smith what other teams are willingly to pay. DM has to get his players through trade. You could make the case that players want to come play with Harden but I really don't think that has any clout yet.

MIlsap or Smith ceilings aren't as high as Cousins. The Rockets have to take risks unless you want to be a 6th to 8th seed every season. We tend to fall in love with our rookies (because DM does a great job) but none of them will be All Stars. Trade them.

I am not saying Cousins will be an automatic perfect fit. He's even more of a headcase than White but for once, I would like to see our team have superior talent than the other. We can hope he turns its around like Zach Randolph,

We can beat any team on a given night, but in a series, I dont like our chances.

rockets are in the top 3 for available cap space in the league. if they get a high level forward then a forward can be traded to create more cap space (if we do not have enough money). DM has said the reason why he left the cap space open was so that he could get a higher level player through free agency and 2013 has a lot of talent. a franchise player like harden is attractive to players. DM isnt exactly afraid to toss money at players either (Lin and Asik).

cousins is carried by talent. his bball IQ is low and from his actions, it doesn't seem like he is eager to learn the game. his defense isn't all that great either.

#10 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 4,125 posts
                • Locationhouston

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

miketheodio:
                cousins will be the best center in the league in 2 years. the kid has that much talent period. if the rockets get a chance to aquire him short of giving up harden they better jump on it like kids on an ice cream truck. the kid is a head case for sure, but the factor that he may work out far exceed any risk of the jump. point is you don't win championships playing it safe. this kid is worth the gamble.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#11 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 2,597 posts
                • LocationAlabama

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

I think they should get him if they don't give up Parsons/Lin(not likely in any case)/Harden/Asik. I know some of you would trade Asik, but he can only get better. But why get a PF at all? What about starting Parsons at PF and Delfino at SF and trading one of our many PFs for a backup SF?

Why so Serious? :D

#12 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 4,125 posts
                • Locationhouston

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

timetodienow1234567:
                parson is not a PF. yes he can play it for short stints but that's about it. he does not match up well against stronger bigger players at that position. if the rockets do trade for cousins sac sure as hell will not give him up for free. they are going to want to get paid. now the advantage the rockets have is they have a stable of bigs the kings will go for. problem is which ones and how many are required to get the deal done. there is a point where the price gets to high, but unless they are asking for the farm the rockets must pull the trigger. ................by the way welcome to the forum :rolleyes:

#13 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 2,597 posts
                • LocationAlabama

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

Thanks. But most teams are going small now. Only the Lakers, Blazers, Grizz, and Jazz would give Parsons headaches at the defensive end. All the rest of the teams have one good big and the other is not great. Asik can take the good one and Parsons can take the okay one. Just a suggestion but the Spurs are playing Leonard some at the 4, the Nuggets with Faried, Knicks with Melo, Heat with James, etc.... Also, I don't see them getting Cousins for cheap. They will probably have to part with Parsons/Asik/Jones for him. Are you willing to give up Parsons or Asik for Cousins? Will Cousins be happy to play pick and roll and be the second option offensively. Harden's first. I don't know.

#14 miketheodio

miketheodio

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 353 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

miketheodio:
                  cousins will be the best center in the league in 2 years. the kid has that much talent period. if the rockets get a chance to aquire him short of giving up harden they better jump on it like kids on an ice cream truck. the kid is a head case for sure, but the factor that he may work out far exceed any risk of the jump. point is you don't win championships playing it safe. this kid is worth the gamble.

difficulty with lowry, brooks, martin, t-will, and white. all these players have had difficulty and the first 3 are stable for the most part. what makes you think a young inexperienced team with a organization that doesnt handle head cases well can develop cousins? you think throwing out everything short of the baby with the bath water is a good idea? the rockets are in a excellent position to play it safe when you consider the free agents that are available in the off season. asik plays better D and still has some upside offensively (yes no where near cousins, but it is suitable). go after a power house 4 in the off season. the league seems to be able PGs and great forwards anyways. Centers just need to play D and get rebounds.

if they didnt have harden id be all for it. that isn't the case though.

#15 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 4,125 posts
                  • Locationhouston

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

Thanks. But most teams are going small now. Only the Lakers, Blazers, Grizz, and Jazz would give Parsons headaches at the defensive end. All the rest of the teams have one good big and the other is not great. Asik can take the good one and Parsons can take the okay one. Just a suggestion but the Spurs are playing Leonard some at the 4, the Nuggets with Faried, Knicks with Melo, Heat with James, etc.... Also, I don't see them getting Cousins for cheap. They will probably have to part with Parsons/Asik/Jones for him. Are you willing to give up Parsons or Asik for Cousins? Will Cousins be happy to play pick and roll and be the second option offensively. Harden's first. I don't know.

problem is those are 4 of the teams we need to beat to get to contender status. on the question of parson/asik for cousins......yes without a doubt. both parson and asik will be very good nba players, but neither will be a star, cousin will be a star in the next 2 years. as for cousin being happy as the #2 man..........that's exactly what he needs to put his ego in check. cousin needs to be on a team where he isn't the alpha dog. this will remove some of the pressure and allow him to blossom. the pairing of him and harden will allow us to chase championships for the next decade and that's something we can't pass up lightly.

miketheidio:
                  I don't agree all centers need to do is grab rebounds and play defense. you don't need a dominant center to win a championship but it sure ain't gonna hurt nothing. the fact that dominant center are so hard to find is why they are so valuable and (IMO) easier to build around, because they create instant mismatches. as for the question of why I think the rockets can turn cousins......we have people in our organization who can get in cousin head sac does not. as for the list of players you named off how do you define difficulty. they all were moved for better pieces, but none except white refuse to perform. every player is different. all those players except white were vets who wanted larger rolls and more money and the rockets said no(and rightfully so IMO)they were not star talents and most were happy here until they realized they would be moved. so I really don't understand why you think we can't handle cousins when we are handling a team of youngsters now. even in the white situation we are doing what I think needs to be done to handle the problem. what I'm saying is cousins needs to be handled with a firm hand and the kings have no clue.

#16 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 2,597 posts
                  • LocationAlabama

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

rockets best fan:

You would give up two promising guys that will probably be borderline all-stars every year? I agree they aren't superstars but Harden will be. Cousins has mental health issues and the Rockets don't know how to deal with those kinds of guys(a la White). If Cousins played up to his potential paired up with Harden, they'd be formidable. But it still doesn't address the biggest issue which is the lack of a PF.

#17 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 4,125 posts
                  • Locationhouston

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

timetodienow1234567:
                  asik and parsons for cousins? yes....I would like to keep asik, but if that stood in the way (don't let the doorknob hit you....well you know the rest) cousin is in route to superstardom. would I trade 2 plan B players for 1 plan A player.....no doubt. cousins is not a mental case in the same light white is. cousins is more like the spoiled brat who lays on the floor at the supermarket when their parent refused to buy that toy they saw, because they have no home training. his problem is more easy to correct. as for PF we still have a young stable of PF we need to take a look at. just because they aren't playing now don't mean they won't be useful to us down the road. we need to give that spot time to work itself out.

#18 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                  • 4,137 posts
                  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

OK, my two cents. This goes back to the summer debates over dwight howard. I do not think the center position is as important to winning chamionships today as it once was. It is an important position defensively. I do not believe that Cousins matches our personnel or philosophy as a team. I like to see talent succeed because it is fun to watch....just want to watch it on some other team. I am with some of the others in believing our PF position is solid and still improving. My concern with Cousins is not his talents/abilities/potential. My concern is his desire to harness it and reach that potential. I don't see it.

Regarding other teams that might trade for him...I had a vision of Cousins going to Minnesota. It gets better. They send Tyreke Evans and chuck hayes with him. Minny gives up Pekovic, Derrick Williams, and maybe alexey shved, or ridnour, etc. and draft picks. Now, sacramento gets back short contracts and draft picks while getting rid of two head cases....besides, what are the odds 'Reke re-signs with them after this year???? Might as well get something for him. It all came in a vision....

#19 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                  • 4,137 posts
                  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

Oh, and don't forget the "michael jordan" rules. One reason the league has shifted the way it has is because of "the whistle". It has become increasingly difficult for centers to dominate a game because the rules cater to driving wing players. Hard to be effective sitting on the bench in foul trouble. The "Bruisers" are all but gone from today's game as they are no longer useful....which is part of why we are seeing more and more successful small-ball line-ups.

#20 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 4,125 posts
                  • Locationhouston

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

gotta get me some of that medicine you are using to help with the visions :lol: cause I can't see it :blink:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users