Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 01:42 AM) one bullet left in the chamber is diff than fully loaded and ready to go. Still stupid...but not like he was prepared for a shooting spree.
@  jorgeaam : (02 September 2015 - 09:33 PM) http://www.tmz.com/2...t-get-arrested/
@  jorgeaam : (02 September 2015 - 09:33 PM) So according to TMZ (I know, I know) Dwight Howard had an incident last month in which he took a loaded gun into an airport, but he was allowed to give it to a friend to take it back and wasn't arrested.
@  jorgeaam : (31 August 2015 - 10:45 PM) The Los Angeles Rockets, lol
@  redfaithful : (31 August 2015 - 09:51 PM) Seems that Chuck is also on his way to the Clippers.
@  slick shoes : (24 August 2015 - 06:14 PM) ill just leave this here...
@  slick shoes : (24 August 2015 - 06:14 PM) http://www.timeandda...04&font=cursive
@  timetodienow... : (21 August 2015 - 07:20 PM) At least in my opinion.
@  timetodienow... : (21 August 2015 - 07:20 PM) I love having Terry. But the main factor was that New Orleans will NOT compete for a championship this year and the Rockets will.
@  jorgeaam : (21 August 2015 - 03:57 AM) Things that make me like the JET even more
@  jorgeaam : (21 August 2015 - 03:57 AM) Jason Terry said that he turned down a more lucrative deal from New Orleans in order to return to Houston.
@  clydesmoustache : (19 August 2015 - 08:32 AM) A year ago who would have thought I would be so happy to have Jason Terry on my team. Welcome back JET! Hurry up October!
@  cointurtlemoose : (19 August 2015 - 04:45 AM) Terry I love yooouuuuuuuuu
@  jorgeaam : (19 August 2015 - 02:38 AM) Yay Terry is back!
@  majik19 : (15 August 2015 - 09:33 PM) and i thought these shouts were limited to some number of characters!
@  thejohnnygold : (15 August 2015 - 02:23 PM) Ha, sorry for the wall of text...

Photo

The Roster

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,113 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 August 2015 - 01:25 PM

With Jason Terry Agreeing to a 1-yr. $1.5M deal today it appears the Rockets' roster and salary are just about set.

Here's what basketball-reference.com has on us so far:

Chuck Hayes hasn't signed yet, but it is rumored to be a 1-yr. vet min. deal similar to Terry's.  For some reason, Harrell's contract info. is tough to find, but rumors say it is a 4-yr deal.

I'd love to see Wood get offered a "Morey Special" similar to Tarik Black's 2-yr/$845K contract from last season, but who gets cut?

That would be 16 players.  Unless we can get Chuck Hayes to sign as a coach (but keep him ready to go in case of injury), we can't sign Wood.  Another scenario is Morey swings another trade, but I find that highly unlikely.  They keep talking continuity, chemistry, and next phase stuff.  Getting Lawson was the last big move.

We are as deep as a team can be.  We've got starting-caliber players at 3 of our back-up positions--Beverley, Brewer, and Jones.  Possibly 4 if you consider Marcus Thornton a starting caliber SG.  Brooklyn, Phoenix, and Boston all felt like he was not and Sacramento couldn't make up their mind.

I truly believe Harrell is NBA ready.  He will look like a rookie on defense at times (as most do), but he knows his strengths and will use them well.  I think he will see time at C this season with mixed results.

I'm still not sure what we have in Dekker.  I have high hopes, but we will likely not get to see him this year.

I still don't know how KJ McDaniels finds floor time, but we really, really need to find a way.  I think at some point in the pre-season we will see Harden on the floor with Ariza, McDaniels, Brewer, and Jones/Harrell.  I can't say what will happen, but I am excited to see it.

Let's get hyped!  What are everyone's thoughts?  ESPN recently ranked us #3 heading into the season and predicted we would have the same record as last year.  I'll be fine with that.  Yet, I can't help but think we are better than last year as long as we have healthy bodies.

We are set now and for the future.  Go Rockets!

#2 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 19 August 2015 - 05:13 PM

I can honestly say I have not been this excited for the season to start since the 90's. This may just be the emotional high of The Jet returning, but I truly feel that this is the MOST complete and championship ready roster in ages. Cleveland vs Houston finals prediction. Mark it down.

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#3 majik19

majik19

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 07:11 PM

For some reason, Harrell's contract info. is tough to find, but rumors say it is a 4-yr deal.

I'd love to see Wood get offered a "Morey Special" similar to Tarik Black's 2-yr/$845K contract from last season, but who gets cut?

Harrell hasn't officially signed yet.

I'd like to see us give Wood a shot too, but realistically he's going to end up at Rio Grande and hopefully stay there (e.g. not get picked up by another team).

I'd be shocked if Morey swung a trade. You could say Jones (or, depending on how you feel...) Motiejunas could be expendable because of the depth, but Howard needs to play minimal minutes, Motiejunas is coming back from a back injury (unpredictable) and Jones had an assortment of ailments last year. 

Also, I don't know how Lawson's pending suspension will affect things. If he's suspended, does he count against the 15 man? If he doesn't, maybe that's how you sneak a guy like Wood onto the roster at the beginning of the year, and then send him to Rio Grande after a few games when teams have their rosters set. 

I like the Hayes-as-a-coach thing... but don't see it shaking out. Didn't Kevin Willis or someone like that do that in the late 90s early 2000s? 

Edited by majik19, 19 August 2015 - 07:15 PM.

#4 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 336 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:58 PM

I like the Hayes-as-a-coach thing... but don't see it shaking out. Didn't Kevin Willis or someone like that do that in the late 90s early 2000s? 

I'm pretty sure we had Josh Powell on a similar arrangement last season. We had him signed and then you only saw him in a suit or working with the big men and not on the 15 man roster.

#5 majik19

majik19

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 265 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 05:48 AM

Here's an article explaining why Harrell isn't signed :
      http://www.hoopsrumo...zl-harrell.html

#6 jorgeaam

jorgeaam

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 376 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 08:44 AM

Here's an article explaining why Harrell isn't signed :
        http://www.hoopsrumo...zl-harrell.html

Well, that's a problem. After reading all of that I know assume that Harrell will take the 1 year deal like K.J. did, either that or Morey makes him a poison pill contract, minimum deal on the first year and a good amount on the second year. Wouldn't have a lot of cap problems because of the massive jump the cap will make in 2016.

Champion of the 2014-15 Red94 Fantasy Basketball League :D

#7 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 4,117 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:38 AM

Harrell hasn't officially signed yet.

I'd like to see us give Wood a shot too, but realistically he's going to end up at Rio Grande and hopefully stay there (e.g. not get picked up by another team).

I'd be shocked if Morey swung a trade. You could say Jones (or, depending on how you feel...) Motiejunas could be expendable because of the depth, but Howard needs to play minimal minutes, Motiejunas is coming back from a back injury (unpredictable) and Jones had an assortment of ailments last year. 

Also, I don't know how Lawson's pending suspension will affect things. If he's suspended, does he count against the 15 man? If he doesn't, maybe that's how you sneak a guy like Wood onto the roster at the beginning of the year, and then send him to Rio Grande after a few games when teams have their rosters set. 

I too am intrigued by this kid Wood. my guess is either Hayes or Terry will end up on the coaching staff if we sign Harrell. I agree JG this team is deep and talent laden. we can put a second team on the floor better than some first teams around the league. we have flexibility at every position with players who possess vastly different skillsets. our tool box is loaded. now it's up to the general (McHale) to deploy the troops in a manner that maximizes our abilities. if he can do that.......there should be a parade some where downtown next June

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#8 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,113 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:29 PM

Looks like Chuckwagon is not sporting a Rockets Jersey this year. LINK

It is unclear if he will sign with another team or move on to coaching/FO stuff.  If he signs with another team this is a bit of a loss for us as I think we all felt he could help bring our young guys along.  If not, let's hope we can get him on the sidelines.

Christian Wood will be a Rocket....at least for pre-season...

#9 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 336 posts
        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:38 PM

Looks like Chuckwagon is not sporting a Rockets Jersey this year. LINK

It is unclear if he will sign with another team or move on to coaching/FO stuff.  If he signs with another team this is a bit of a loss for us as I think we all felt he could help bring our young guys along.  If not, let's hope we can get him on the sidelines.

Christian Wood will be a Rocket....at least for pre-season...

320.gif

#10 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 4,117 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 28 August 2015 - 01:13 AM

don't overlook this kid Wood. I have read some very intriguing articles about why he wasn't drafted and on his overall abilities. some scouts are very high on him. he is a bit of a trouble maker, but if the Rockets can focus his wasted energy he may be a diamond in the rough. after the draft was over he was  one of the most sought after players. seems we weren't the only ones interested, but in this case the early bird got the worm.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#11 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 2,590 posts
        • LocationAlabama

Posted 28 August 2015 - 05:08 PM

Am I the only one worried about Harden? Isn't he dating a Kardashian? Bad things happen to athletes who do that.

Why so Serious? :D

#12 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 336 posts
        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 28 August 2015 - 06:10 PM

Am I the only one worried about Harden? Isn't he dating a Kardashian? Bad things happen to athletes who do that.

Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner seems to have made out alright.

Edited by slick shoes, 28 August 2015 - 06:12 PM.

#13 txtdo1411

txtdo1411

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 196 posts
        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 28 August 2015 - 06:50 PM

Eh that's a statement with little validity. Kim married Kris Humphries, and he was mediocre before they got married and mediocre afterwards. Lamar had a drug problem, which caused his downward spiral. Unless she pushed him towards meth, than there really isn't much evidence that the Kardashians are bad for athletes. Also Kanye is still doing as good as ever, and he has been married for a while now. So no, I am not too worried about Harden.

Edited by txtdo1411, 28 August 2015 - 06:51 PM.

#14 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPipPip
        • 670 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 02:09 AM

Reggie Bush has never been the same :( 

#15 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,633 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 02:33 AM

Christsian Wood will be on the 15 man roster because we won't have the ability to sign anyone else once we're hard capped. 

Harrell won't do the one year bet on himself KJ deal because he would need minutes in order to prove himself, something KJ had on the 76ers, something harrell won't have with the rockets.

#16 jorgeaam

jorgeaam

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 376 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 03:37 AM

I love the offseason.

Champion of the 2014-15 Red94 Fantasy Basketball League :D

#17 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 2,590 posts
              • LocationAlabama

Posted 29 August 2015 - 04:16 PM

Obviously what I said was a joke. I thought it was clear I didn't need to specify that. My bad.

#18 txtdo1411

txtdo1411

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 196 posts
              • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 29 August 2015 - 07:08 PM

Obviously what I said was a joke. I thought it was clear I didn't need to specify that. My bad.

I have seen other people ask this questions legitimately, so I responded like it was serious. Sarcasm is so hard to catch through text.

#19 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPip
              • 1,633 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:22 PM

So the 15 man roster should come out to be

Lawson/Beverley/Terry

Harden/Thorton/KJ

Ariza/Brewer/Dekker

Jones/Dmo/Harrell

Howard/Capela/Wood

Personal opinions and notes

I am in favor of starting jones over Dmo reason being the fit with Howard on both sides of the ball and he would have much more of a positive impact as the 6th man and focal point of the offense in the post in the 2nd unit rather than be regulated as a stretch 4 to create space with howard. If Dmo were the 6th man he would be the focal point of the offense with more room in the paint being beside a much more mobile big in capela rather than Howard where his post skills and passing ability could be the most impactful and he could demand as many touches as he needed as he wouldn't be competing with howard, harden, lawson all at one time for touches. He would also provide a form of half court offense to a 2nd unit of beverley/brewer/thorton/ capela/KJ/Ariza that will most likely rely on transition and fast breaks to create offense. His ability to camp in the post and then pass to a shooter, cutter ,or a lob threat would be very important surrounded by those players. On defense Dmo would be able to be the paint protector and position/vertical defending center while capela who is far more mobile than howard could guard the stretch/play making 4s on the perimeter who Dmo does have trouble with chasing around the perimeter when playing next to howard. Dmo is also terrible as a help defender next to howard, while defending as the center in the 2nd unit, he wouldn't have to worry as much as a help defender while Capela could be a nightmare weakside shot blocker like ibaka in the 2nd unit.

On to Jones, even though he has pooped the bed in the playoffs and seem to be physically and mentally affected this past season due to injuries. Stats have usually favored the howard/jones pairing to the Howard/dmo pairing. Reason being is Jones is a great utility PF and garbage man needed next to H&H. Low usage, high efficiency role player. He can slash to the basket when needed from the perimeter or dive into the paint for an offensive rebound and put back, or lob. He can handle the ball in transition which is a plus in our high octane offense. His 3pt shooting while small sample size was nearing next to average last year, so he can also still be that playmaking 4 next to howard. While on defense jones has the ability to guard 4s along the perimeter and act as a weakside help defender and shot blocker. This allows howard to be the man in the middle on defense.

Other notes is I hope Howard only plays 30 minutes or less with capela getting at least 18 minutes a game. It will be such an unfair advantage for the rockets to have 2 elite defending, shot blocking monsters in the middle.

Dekker, Wood, harrell will be vipers all season unless injuries strike. By the way the vipers should have the best frontcourt in the D-league with SF Dekker PF Harrell C Wood. We could be looking at another D-league title with our next nba title.

I think we sign harrell to a 3 year deal and just eat the hard cap for the year. He will be an impactful player in the nba with his game, motor, athleticism, and length. It's just not worth it to risk losing him in a couple years for a chance at getting a buy-out drop out player later in the season. Very unlikely josh smith caliber players are available during every buyout time.

Lawson will obviously start and that offensive 1-2 punch of him and harden will be completely unmatched in the league. We've put together the best SG, a top 10 PG, both top 10 offensive players, and the top 2 most potent, efficient slashers and passers in the league along with both being great shooters and off the ball players. Harden is the perfect embodiment of Moreyball while Lawson is right behind him. That's going to be a damn offense to watch even without mentioning they'll be surrounded by good shooting and cutting wings and bigs great for drop off passes or lob threats. Damn. I do expect them to have their minutes level out so at least one is on the court at all time.

Beverley is going to go back to that high energy in small amount of minutes terror, taking every backup PG's lunch money and we can all love him again. He should also have a healthier season as well, as his style of game is not meant for starter minutes, too much wear and tear on the body with such high energy and intensity.

We are so deep and talented, I can only see GS, the cavs, and maybe OKC challenging us.

It's been a long time since I've had a long post here, hope yall enjoyed it. Roster Rant over.

Edited by Buckko, 29 August 2015 - 09:27 PM.

#20 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 2,590 posts
                • LocationAlabama

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:30 PM

DMo will get the bulk of backup C minutes, IMO.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users