Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 01:42 AM) one bullet left in the chamber is diff than fully loaded and ready to go. Still stupid...but not like he was prepared for a shooting spree.
@  jorgeaam : (02 September 2015 - 09:33 PM) http://www.tmz.com/2...t-get-arrested/
@  jorgeaam : (02 September 2015 - 09:33 PM) So according to TMZ (I know, I know) Dwight Howard had an incident last month in which he took a loaded gun into an airport, but he was allowed to give it to a friend to take it back and wasn't arrested.
@  jorgeaam : (31 August 2015 - 10:45 PM) The Los Angeles Rockets, lol
@  redfaithful : (31 August 2015 - 09:51 PM) Seems that Chuck is also on his way to the Clippers.
@  slick shoes : (24 August 2015 - 06:14 PM) ill just leave this here...
@  slick shoes : (24 August 2015 - 06:14 PM) http://www.timeandda...04&font=cursive
@  timetodienow... : (21 August 2015 - 07:20 PM) At least in my opinion.
@  timetodienow... : (21 August 2015 - 07:20 PM) I love having Terry. But the main factor was that New Orleans will NOT compete for a championship this year and the Rockets will.
@  jorgeaam : (21 August 2015 - 03:57 AM) Things that make me like the JET even more
@  jorgeaam : (21 August 2015 - 03:57 AM) Jason Terry said that he turned down a more lucrative deal from New Orleans in order to return to Houston.
@  clydesmoustache : (19 August 2015 - 08:32 AM) A year ago who would have thought I would be so happy to have Jason Terry on my team. Welcome back JET! Hurry up October!
@  cointurtlemoose : (19 August 2015 - 04:45 AM) Terry I love yooouuuuuuuuu
@  jorgeaam : (19 August 2015 - 02:38 AM) Yay Terry is back!
@  majik19 : (15 August 2015 - 09:33 PM) and i thought these shouts were limited to some number of characters!
@  thejohnnygold : (15 August 2015 - 02:23 PM) Ha, sorry for the wall of text...

Photo

Lowe: Terrence Jones at $15million?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 12:42 AM

It is impossible for me to imagine a more important player over the next four years on the Rocket's roster than DMo, except of course for Harden. There are few bigs in the NBA both willing and able to hold down both the four and the five positions. I am a much lesser man than Morey and so I would probably be sitting on DMo's doorstep right now with a 4 year $64 million contract in hand. I doubt Morey will seek to extend him right now.

Jones is a completely different story. Jones should be very good, but he certainly is not. He is not able to man up on a night to night basis. He is not capable of holding position against similar sized players on either offense or defense. I expect a lot of small ball out of McHale next season with DMo manning the five. If Harrell, Dekker and Capela develop I would expect Jones to be traded next season. Over his career is has been of little use against many starting Western Conference power forwards.

I expect Howard to enter free agency next summer. He will be on the wrong side of 30 and he has one large contract left in his career. I would doubt that Morey will offer him three years at $28M per year.

If Howard bolts will the Rockets be as good in the 2016-2017 season? That depends on how DMo and the young bigs develop. I have no crystal ball.

#22 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,113 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:30 PM

As a follow-up to my post about replacing Jones I wanted to bring this to the discussion.  I used Earl Clark as an example of a player who is available as a possible cheap replacement.  I just ran across this snippet from Rotoworld.com:

The Nets will waive Earl Clark.

He wants to pursue a deal overseas and the Nets will accommodate him. Clark was at Summer League with the Nets and wasn't impressive even against the inferior talent, so he wouldn't have made a big impact anyway. Aug 3 - 9:08 PM

Perhaps I should choose better when I pick a player to replace Jones.

According to RealGM, there are some players out there I think qualify for this hypothetical: Jeff Adrien and Jason Maxiell (who may play in China this season).  Both are under-sized, but we know what they bring to the table.

I don't want people to think I dislike Jones--that is not true at all.  I think he is awesome.  I believe he has a slight mental problem in that his mind thinks he is a finesse player when he should be focused on using that big body of his to destroy people.  (I've made this assertion before comparing him to UT's Henry Melton a 6'4"/280 running back who wanted to run like Barry Sanders instead of Earl Campbell).  Can he figure it out?  I don't know.  It's my biggest concern with him, and I (like many others) truly believe Chuck Hayes was brought in to fix him.  If Chuck can't do it then I think Morey will not make a substantial offer for him nor fight for him if another team does.

If Chuck does fix him then this conversation changes.  Does anyone remember Eddie Jones?  You should.  He played from '94-'08 and could be seen doing things like this in just about every game:

(...wait for it....)

...and in his better games you would see this...

Now, Jones was a 6'6" SG/SF.  My comparison is that our Jones can be the same kind of player for us.  Eddie played best when surrounded by talent that he could feed off of and complimented them well.  He played strong, athletic defense and on offense he was able to attack defenses when they were pre-occupied with other guys and knock down outside shots when needed....and dunks....lots and lots of dunks.

Eddies Jones was never a "star" player.  Yet, he was a great player.  He did play in 3 all-star games over his career ('97, '98, '00).  He was crucial to his team's success.  Terrence can be that guy for us at the PF position.  Draymond Green (sorry, but it fits) is that guy for GS.

Unfortunately, right now Terrence is not that player.  He's close.  Really close.  If he can get that little bit better on offense (which I think he can and will) and figure out how to use his obviously strong lower body on defense (Come on, Chuckwagon...) and do it consistently then Jones would be worth every bit of $15M per year.

Consistency and defense--two things that come with experience.  Terrence Jones has played 128 NBA (regular season) games in 3 years for a total of 3243 minutes (James Harden played 2981 last season).  So, in reality, Jones has just over 1 season's worth of NBA game experience.  I have to remind myself of this when judging his progress.  He suffers from "rookie" stuff.  Up to now, that is pretty much what he has been--a rookie.

Terrence Jones may very well break out this season and unleash a flurry of awesome that makes reporters and bandwagon fans forget all about the likes of Draymond Green, Jimmy Butler, Klay Thompson, and every other NBA flavor of the month.  I would like nothing better.

Having said all of that, it still comes down to economics: supply and demand.  Motiejunas is a rare commodity and if he can improve a little on both ends of the floor (as he should) he'll be a top 5 player at his position.  Read that again.  A top 5 PF in a league saturated with top-flight PF's.

I'm serious.  You're talking Davis, Aldridge, Griffin, Cousins, and....who?  Kevin Love?  No thanks.  I'll take D-Mo.  Paul Millsap?  No thanks.  Nene, Favors, Ibaka, Nowitzki, Randolph, Fareid, Duncan, Garnett, Bosh, and whoever else you can think of.  All of these guys lack something: youth, size, defense, offense...something.  D-Mo has it all and is getting better.  Obviously, prime Bosh or Dirk or Garnett, etc. trump this, but that's not the case.  Over the next 4-5 years, D-Mo (assuming health and marginal improvement) will be a dominant PF in this league.  If Houston won't let him blossom here playing with Harden and Co. he will go elsewhere.  He's too good.  

I imagine I sound delusional to a lot of you (all of you?).  The reality is Terrence Jones, even at his peak, would not qualify as a top 5 PF because he is a peripheral player.  He has to be surrounded by talent to thrive.  It's just who he is.  Motiejunas will be good enough to be a #1 option for a playoff caliber team.  That's who he is.

Jones is a great role player to have.  D-Mo is no role player.  I believe this season will bear that out.  Each will do very well, and it will become obvious who they are as players.

112914-27-NBA-Houston-Rockets-OB-PI.vada

This is the future of Rockets basketball.

#23 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,113 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 August 2015 - 04:42 PM

Someone over at Reddit.com posted this interview with McHale and C-Webb from 2012.  Motie gets Webber's seal of approval.

#24 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 336 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 10 August 2015 - 10:46 PM

As a follow-up to my post about replacing Jones I wanted to bring this to the discussion.  I used Earl Clark as an example of a player who is available as a possible cheap replacement.  I just ran across this snippet from Rotoworld.com:

Perhaps I should choose better when I pick a player to replace Jones.

According to RealGM, there are some players out there I think qualify for this hypothetical: Jeff Adrien and Jason Maxiell (who may play in China this season).  Both are under-sized, but we know what they bring to the table.

I don't want people to think I dislike Jones--that is not true at all.  I think he is awesome.  I believe he has a slight mental problem in that his mind thinks he is a finesse player when he should be focused on using that big body of his to destroy people.  (I've made this assertion before comparing him to UT's Henry Melton a 6'4"/280 running back who wanted to run like Barry Sanders instead of Earl Campbell).  Can he figure it out?  I don't know.  It's my biggest concern with him, and I (like many others) truly believe Chuck Hayes was brought in to fix him.  If Chuck can't do it then I think Morey will not make a substantial offer for him nor fight for him if another team does.

If Chuck does fix him then this conversation changes.  Does anyone remember Eddie Jones?  You should.  He played from '94-'08 and could be seen doing things like this in just about every game:

(...wait for it....)

...and in his better games you would see this...

Now, Jones was a 6'6" SG/SF.  My comparison is that our Jones can be the same kind of player for us.  Eddie played best when surrounded by talent that he could feed off of and complimented them well.  He played strong, athletic defense and on offense he was able to attack defenses when they were pre-occupied with other guys and knock down outside shots when needed....and dunks....lots and lots of dunks.

Eddies Jones was never a "star" player.  Yet, he was a great player.  He did play in 3 all-star games over his career ('97, '98, '00).  He was crucial to his team's success.  Terrence can be that guy for us at the PF position.  Draymond Green (sorry, but it fits) is that guy for GS.

Unfortunately, right now Terrence is not that player.  He's close.  Really close.  If he can get that little bit better on offense (which I think he can and will) and figure out how to use his obviously strong lower body on defense (Come on, Chuckwagon...) and do it consistently then Jones would be worth every bit of $15M per year.

Consistency and defense--two things that come with experience.  Terrence Jones has played 128 NBA (regular season) games in 3 years for a total of 3243 minutes (James Harden played 2981 last season).  So, in reality, Jones has just over 1 season's worth of NBA game experience.  I have to remind myself of this when judging his progress.  He suffers from "rookie" stuff.  Up to now, that is pretty much what he has been--a rookie.

Terrence Jones may very well break out this season and unleash a flurry of awesome that makes reporters and bandwagon fans forget all about the likes of Draymond Green, Jimmy Butler, Klay Thompson, and every other NBA flavor of the month.  I would like nothing better.

Having said all of that, it still comes down to economics: supply and demand.  Motiejunas is a rare commodity and if he can improve a little on both ends of the floor (as he should) he'll be a top 5 player at his position.  Read that again.  A top 5 PF in a league saturated with top-flight PF's.

I'm serious.  You're talking Davis, Aldridge, Griffin, Cousins, and....who?  Kevin Love?  No thanks.  I'll take D-Mo.  Paul Millsap?  No thanks.  Nene, Favors, Ibaka, Nowitzki, Randolph, Fareid, Duncan, Garnett, Bosh, and whoever else you can think of.  All of these guys lack something: youth, size, defense, offense...something.  D-Mo has it all and is getting better.  Obviously, prime Bosh or Dirk or Garnett, etc. trump this, but that's not the case.  Over the next 4-5 years, D-Mo (assuming health and marginal improvement) will be a dominant PF in this league.  If Houston won't let him blossom here playing with Harden and Co. he will go elsewhere.  He's too good.  

I imagine I sound delusional to a lot of you (all of you?).  The reality is Terrence Jones, even at his peak, would not qualify as a top 5 PF because he is a peripheral player.  He has to be surrounded by talent to thrive.  It's just who he is.  Motiejunas will be good enough to be a #1 option for a playoff caliber team.  That's who he is.

Jones is a great role player to have.  D-Mo is no role player.  I believe this season will bear that out.  Each will do very well, and it will become obvious who they are as players.

112914-27-NBA-Houston-Rockets-OB-PI.vada

This is the future of Rockets basketball.

tumblr_mtzmeqC16Z1qcga5ro1_500.gif

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#25 Fony Groaning

Fony Groaning

• Members
    • Pip
    • 6 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 01:16 AM

Considering the Rockets' situation with needing to pay both DMo and TJones after this season, trading Jones for the disgruntled Markieff Morris and a pick or two might make sense. Lock in Morris' better deal than the one Jones is likely to get in this growing cap economy, while still keeping a player with lots of upside who can play the 4 and small ball 5. Plus, PHX gets a player with tons of upside who is hungry for a starting gig and has proven he can play in a fast offense. With Morris' trade value plummeting of late due of off-court issues and his perceived displeasure with the Suns organization, this could be a great chance to replace Jones with someone with almost as much potential as he has, himself.

#26 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,113 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 August 2015 - 04:57 AM

Considering the Rockets' situation with needing to pay both DMo and TJones after this season, trading Jones for the disgruntled Markieff Morris and a pick or two might make sense. Lock in Morris' better deal than the one Jones is likely to get in this growing cap economy, while still keeping a player with lots of upside who can play the 4 and small ball 5. Plus, PHX gets a player with tons of upside who is hungry for a starting gig and has proven he can play in a fast offense. With Morris' trade value plummeting of late due of off-court issues and his perceived displeasure with the Suns organization, this could be a great chance to replace Jones with someone with almost as much potential as he has, himself.

Markieff is a solid player in his own right, but I am not sure he is a good fit for us.  He is predominantly a mid-range shooter and shoots a tad inefficiently from that range.  His 3 ball is poor as well.  Combine that with his attitude problems and having to take a back seat to D-Mo after establishing himself as a starter and I don't see things going well.

I do like his potential to be Charles Oakley 2.0 for us.

On a side note, I am fascinated by what's happening in Cleveland and how it relates to this discussion.  Tristan Thompson is over-playing his hand by demanding a max, or near-max, deal or he will leave the team after this season.  Thompson has a nice game, but a max deal?????  That's more absurd than Jones getting $15M  :lol:

Allegedly, Thompson wants a deal in the range of $94M for 5 years (almost $19M/yr).  I don't see how Cleveland can even think about doing this deal.  Worse, they can't really sign him to a 1 year qualifying offer (@ $6.8M) and risk him mucking up team chemistry all year.  Thompson has to realize Cleveland has their PF of choice in Love and there is a 0.000% chance he gets offered more than $8M/yr.  Yet, here we are.

Worse, we are in a time where stretch players are the desired commodity and Thompson can't shoot (well) outside of 3 feet.

It doesn't surprise me.  Thompson is one of many one-and-dones from UT.  He came here, under-performed, and then left as a lottery pick.  His entitled behavior comes as no surprise since it is consistent with everything else he has done so far.  Thompson may just be forcing a trade with this public show--and that is really the only way this can end.

It is interesting to consider that Phoenix, Cleveland, and Denver (with Faried) all have PF's they want/need to move.  Keep an eye on Dallas with this one.

The important question is how this affects Terrence Jones and his impending payday.  It's good news for Terrence, but bad news for Houston.

#27 majik19

majik19

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 265 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:53 PM

Allegedly, Thompson wants a deal in the range of $94M for 5 years (almost $19M/yr).  I don't see how Cleveland can even think about doing this deal.  Worse, they can't really sign him to a 1 year qualifying offer (@ $6.8M) and risk him mucking up team chemistry all year.  Thompson has to realize Cleveland has their PF of choice in Love and there is a 0.000% chance he gets offered more than $8M/yr.  Yet, here we are.

Thompson is, smartly, playing the market. If he signs a one year qualifier, then (unless he gets hurt) he will almost certainly get that kind of money next year when more than half the league has 20 mil or more in cap space. 

It's not that he'll be anyone's first option, but when teams miss out on the top tier and still have money to blow, Tristan Thompson will be there waiting.  :ph34r:

In a normal NBA, Thompson does not deserve anywhere near his max. (Though there is a LONG history of overpaying 6'10+ guys in the NBA). But given the dearth of options and the surplus of cap space next year, he'll get his money.

The Cavs can only hold out so long. Portland could go muck things up by offering him a contract, and I doubt the Cavs' GM (cough cough Lebron James) is going to let him go. Lebron has the same agent and likes the guy.

#28 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,113 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 August 2015 - 04:04 PM

Thompson is, smartly, playing the market. If he signs a one year qualifier, then (unless he gets hurt) he will almost certainly get that kind of money next year when more than half the league has 20 mil or more in cap space. 

It's not that he'll be anyone's first option, but when teams miss out on the top tier and still have money to blow, Tristan Thompson will be there waiting.  :ph34r:

In a normal NBA, Thompson does not deserve anywhere near his max. (Though there is a LONG history of overpaying 6'10+ guys in the NBA). But given the dearth of options and the surplus of cap space next year, he'll get his money.

The Cavs can only hold out so long. Portland could go muck things up by offering him a contract, and I doubt the Cavs' GM (cough cough Lebron James) is going to let him go. Lebron has the same agent and likes the guy.

I agree he is playing the market, but I would not include the word, "smartly".  Demanding a max deal from a team that is far above the cap and into the tax penalty plus has an All-Star PF making $19.7M/yr already at your position (who is way better than you) is not smart.  It's blatant strong-arming one's way off the team.  He may as well demand they re-name the team after him or else  :angry:  If Thompson received $19M/yr he would become the 13th highest paid player in the league ahead of Blake Griffin, Westbrook, Wall, George, Cousins, Harden, etc.  This has to be a joke, right?

I have no doubt he'll get paid some money, but not a max.  Not unless he unveils a yet unseen ability to shoot and stretch the floor this season.

It looks like Thompson signed the QO ($6.8M).  Which means he is on a very trade-able contract and I seriously doubt he makes it past the trade deadline in Cleveland.  Cleveland has that huge trade exception to use as well.  It just so happens Boston has David Lee on a $15.5M expiring deal.  Lee would work well in Cleveland and they can absorb that contract into the trade exception along with shipping out Thompson and his delusional belief in his NBA worth.

After that, Cleveland can re-sign Lee to a much smaller deal or let him walk and open up cap space for next Summer.  Thompson will ultimately regret the way he handled this.

#29 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,113 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 August 2015 - 04:29 PM

I pulled some numbers for Jones/D-Mo from basketball-reference.com.  Check out these shooting splits/comps from last season.

D-Mo owns Jones except for dunks where Jones made all 42 of those attempts which severely boosted his fg% "at rim".  The think Jones does the most he also does the worst--jump shots.  It gets worse when you realize he is doing this of his own volition as his %Ast'd numbers are actually lower than D-Mo's in this category.  Jones is choosing to chuck lots of jumpers and miss them at an alarming rate.

Granted, in the distance chart it shows Jones takes the majority of his shots within 3 feet of the rim and converts at a robust 68%.  Not sure how to reconcile the two, but one thing is sure--Jones' jump shot is not a good thing right now.

#30 Fony Groaning

Fony Groaning

• Members
        • Pip
        • 6 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 08:53 PM

Yeah I agree that Morris might not be thrilled to be a backup, but sometimes winning at a higher level can assuage some of those feelings. I also agree that his shooting isn't out of this world, but I do feel he's shown a lot more natural touch than TJones. His highly reasonable and tradeable contract for many years makes it feel worth it to me. My main concern would be how his brother felt about his time with the team. If Marcus holds any ill will, Markieff likely won't be happy in H-Town.

#31 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,289 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:58 PM

Pass on Markieff Morris too many off court issues for an average player.

#32 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 336 posts
            • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:20 PM

Morris spotted with The Beard and 2nd unit at cycle class today...

https://instagram.co...en-by=ccapela15

#33 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
            • 4,113 posts
            • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 02 September 2015 - 02:15 PM

Morris spotted with The Beard and 2nd unit at cycle class today...

https://instagram.co...en-by=ccapela15

I saw that as well....hopefully he is just here for some off season workouts....I'm pretty sure that's Al Harrington as well as a couple of dudes I don't recognize.

Thankfully, Morris' contract would require us to give up too much for Morey to give any serious consideration to actually trading for him.  That and he's not the PF for us anyways.

#34 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 336 posts
            • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:09 PM

I saw that as well....hopefully he is just here for some off season workouts....I'm pretty sure that's Al Harrington as well as a couple of dudes I don't recognize.

Thankfully, Morris' contract would require us to give up too much for Morey to give any serious consideration to actually trading for him.  That and he's not the PF for us anyways.

Just something interesting I stumbled across and thought I'd share. For the reasons you mentioned, I do not see him coming this way. IMO we are set at all positions going forward. If it ain't broke....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users