Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.

Photo

The Arms Race

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 09 January 2015 - 11:56 PM

Everyone in the West is making moves this season. A couple more trades breaking tonight, so we've now got:

DAL: Rajon Rondo

HOU: Josh Smith, Corey Brewer

OKC: Dion Waiters

PHO: Brendan Wright (in exchange for a pick)

MEM: Jeff Green (in exchange for Tayshaun Prince and a pick)

This is getting ridiculous! We're left with Golden State, Portland, LA Clippers and San Antonio who haven't made a move. Reckon any of them will decide to take a punt on someone?

ST

#2 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 10 January 2015 - 01:14 AM

Bass will prob go to one of them.

Why so Serious? :D

#3 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 10 January 2015 - 02:47 AM

can't see gsw sticking with david lee through the trade deadline cause they gotta pay draymond this summer.

As for arms race potential still looking at PHO to make another move and/or can't see LAC standing pat as they are, both have logjams in the backcourt (thomas, bledsoe, dragic and paul, reddick, crawford respectively). But we will see, neither one going to move them for nothing in return.

Also...awesome title sir t.

Edited by Losthief, 10 January 2015 - 02:47 AM.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#4 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,128 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 January 2015 - 04:16 PM

It has gotten ridiculous.  A Western Conference that entered the season with far more talent than the East has managed to get even stronger.

I don't see Golden State making a move--not even David Lee.  His value increases next season as he becomes an awesome expiring deal to be used at the deadline.  For now, you don't tinker with a team that is 29-5 and, for the most part, blowing teams out every night.

The Clippers are interesting.  I'm not sure what they need.  Maybe they can turn Spencer Hawes and one of Barnes/Douglass-Roberts into Wilson Chandler?  Denver might like what Hawes brings to the table and bite on that deal.  Does that make LAC better?  Would they gamble on Redick and Hawes for Lance Stephenson?   :unsure:   They may just be playing possum, waiting for the playoffs to unleash the fury--that team has too much talent to be first round fodder.

The Spurs aren't making a trade--their roster is solid.

Phoenix....I don't know...their hands are tied with the Morris Twins.  They like the two young centers they have.  They like Tucker, and who do you upgrade him with?  They should deal one of their PG's, but they don't have to.  

Does New Orleans deal Ryan Anderson to try and sneak into the playoffs?

So many questions...the deadline is just over 5 weeks away....plenty of time for GM's to play poker.

#5 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:54 PM

NBA rumblings are for Austin Rivers to end up in LA Clipper land very soon as his father is fine with coaching him going forward. Certainly not a major move, to say the least, but probably expected to happen soon I predict.

Otherwise, I think the LA Clippers are done.

OKC? Well, there is the issue with what to do with Reggie Jackson. A very, very solid NBA player especially with the ball in his hands. Just not a good fit for OKC going forward plus the issue with his contract.

Reggie Jackson is almost certainly going to end up going East somewhere in my opinion. Philadelphia? Detroit? Milwaukee?

New Orleans with Ryan Anderson and Phoenix with PJ Tucker are interesting scenarios in regards to possible trade moves. Plus, of course, Phoenix has that Goran dude playing PG that a number of teams would probably like to make a play for. The Rockets already "rented" Goran once, I seriously doubt they will want to do so yet again.

Denver seemingly always has 1-2 players that could be moved by the trade deadline, who knows?

I just don't see Golden State, Portland, Dallas or San Antonio making any moves by the Trade Deadline this year, although one never knows for sure, right?

Philadelphia will probably try to move Tony Wroten although I just don't see any buyers in the West in regards to contenders. Anybody interested in Ilyasova? Milwaukee probably ready to move on with him I would think.

#6 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 475 posts
    • LocationHouston

Posted 12 January 2015 - 07:36 PM

Well we still have jermaine o'neal coming back (okafor is saying he won't come back till next year)so  I could see portland (if robin lopez is still out), the heat, maybe toronto making a play for him. I would of said pho too but with wright no need now.

I also could see the heat making a move for reggie jackson as well as the lower tier eastern teams, but what assets do they have left?

I agree I don't see GSW (unless they dump lee for salary reasons), Portland (if robin lopez is healthy), or dallas/san antonio making any significant moves this season. Though I keep hearing San Antonio is planning a run at Marc Gasol this summer which would be interesting as he is pretty close to duncan in skill-set if not as good across the board.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#7 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,865 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 08:20 PM

Talking about Marc Gasol, just take a look at the Memphis salary tree the next couple of years. Memphis could be a very, very, very different team next season depending on their decisions in the next few months.

Gasol and Randolph are done contractually at the end of this season, Conley at the end of next season.

A Memphis team without at least 2, or all 3, of those guys in the lineup is not a playoff team. Is Gasol and Conley enough to build on the next 3-4 seasons and beyond?

No doubt, Memphis will be a tough out this playoff season. I kinda see New Orleans surpassing them going forward, maybe Phoenix, too, depending on their roster maneuvers this year and next.

#8 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,128 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 29 April 2015 - 06:14 PM

I was thinking about Rajon Rondo after seeing a headline that says "LA Lakers have cooled off on Rondo".  If that's true, I think it is entirely possible he doesn't make an NBA roster next season.  I just can't see any team signing him.  Most teams are set at PG already, and who wants to take a risk on a guy who, at this point, definitely is a chemistry issue, can't shoot, is getting a little long in the tooth, and isn't the defensive force he once was?

I guess the Knicks might do it....but I can't really even talk myself into that.  You can't even bring the guy in to be a veteran back up.  I will be very curious to see what happens with him this Summer.

#9 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,865 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 06:37 PM

I understand what you're saying, that you can't see any team in the NBA going out of there way to sign Rondo. Still, he had some good games with the Mavericks in the regular season and he reportedly was getting along great with Carlisle according to the Mavericks beat writer until the start of the playoffs against our Rockets.

He'll likely end up with one of the bottom tier teams. I really don't picture any of the serious NBA contenders for next season being anxious to sign him. Maybe so, for a bargain price, who knows for sure?

All I can say is that I am SO glad the Rockets passed on him. True, Morey was trying to bid up his price, but I'm not sold Morey was that serious about signing him. I know a number of regulars on this board were hoping to add him but after the disaster that was Rondo in the playoffs, is there any doubt now that he would be a terrible fit for the Rockets?

#10 majik19

majik19

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 272 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 06:58 PM

I understand what you're saying, that you can't see any team in the NBA going out of there way to sign Rondo. Still, he had some good games with the Mavericks in the regular season and he reportedly was getting along great with Carlisle according to the Mavericks beat writer until the start of the playoffs against our Rockets.

He'll likely end up with one of the bottom tier teams. I really don't picture any of the serious NBA contenders for next season being anxious to sign him. Maybe so, for a bargain price, who knows for sure?

All I can say is that I am SO glad the Rockets passed on him. True, Morey was trying to bid up his price, but I'm not sold Morey was that serious about signing him. I know a number of regulars on this board were hoping to add him but after the disaster that was Rondo in the playoffs, is there any doubt now that he would be a terrible fit for the Rockets?

First point - I think someone is going to panic-sign Rondo to a stupidly large contract. I think that team is most likely the Lakers, but I'm struggling to figure it out after that.

And yes, really glad the Rockets passed. He would have been a little more functional in Houston (I think). I mean, we were able to generate a good offense this season while getting just about nothing out of Beverly on that end of the floor. We were able to turn Josh Smith into a functional (if not high-level) player. That being said, I'm never interested in a player who just straight up quits in the playoffs. 

#11 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 4,128 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:58 PM

The Lakers may just be blowing smoke, but after the news today that Dallas made up the "back injury" (No!?!?!  Really!?!?!), just asked him to leave, and now I read that they aren't even going to include him in the playoff money pool.....that's not good for Rondo.  Right now, it seems to be more hearsay than fact, but surely the Lakers brass have to seriously consider how they want to spend their cap space (which they have tons of).

Giving Rondo a big money contract would be incredibly risky on just about every level.  If he fails that contract becomes untrade-able.  Further, it hinders their ability to sign other players both financially and on the team level as players may not want to enter a potential soap opera.

If you're LA you have to be looking a few years down the road as most of the league's best players (and more importantly one's on the right side of 28) are locked up for a while.  Look at this year's FA class...

PG - best options are Dragic and Knight and both are very likely going to remain with their respective teams.

SG - Wesley Matthews and Danny Green are the best guys who are likely available...maybe Monta Ellis...

SF - you've got DeMarre Carrol and Mike Dunleavy.

PF - I don't see Aldridge going to LA, Love is a "no", Millsap?  probably not, after that you're best guys are Amir Johnson, Stoudemire, or Brandon Bass....

C - Gasol?  No way.  DeAndre Jordan?  Not likely.  Duncan?  Ha!  Brook Lopez isn't opting out of $17M with his injury history.  Next up is Greg Monroe who is looking for a big pay day.  He might be worth a contract in the lower teens....

The bottom line is they are hamstrung by Kobe.  They can't be competitive and should push towards a full rebuild, but how do you do that with the last year of Kobe?  Maybe they give Rondo a short 2 year contract for $10M/year....with a team option on year 2  :lol:.

Rocketrick, I disagree that a low level team will scoop him up.  These days most of them have figured out that losing and developing youth is a better plan--especially when Rondo is the alternative.

He should go play in a Euro League and be the "American Dennis Schroder".  :P

#12 majik19

majik19

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 272 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 10:29 PM

C - Gasol?  No way.  DeAndre Jordan?  Not likely.  Duncan?  Ha!  Brook Lopez isn't opting out of $17M with his injury history.  

I think there is actually a strong possibility Lopez opts out. He's 27 and he's looked really good in the playoffs. Plus, with the riffraff that you just described, and all of they money that's available this offseason, he has a good shot of getting another max contract. He might be better off waiting til next offseason and then getting a 4 year max, but hitting free agency at 31 may help him get another long term contract. 

#13 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
            • 4,128 posts
            • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 April 2015 - 12:59 AM

I think there is actually a strong possibility Lopez opts out. He's 27 and he's looked really good in the playoffs. Plus, with the riffraff that you just described, and all of they money that's available this offseason, he has a good shot of getting another max contract. He might be better off waiting til next offseason and then getting a 4 year max, but hitting free agency at 31 may help him get another long term contract. 

You may be right, but I think he is over-rated.  Brook looks like he has about a 6" vertical these days.  If NBA players were birds, he'd be a penguin....with no water...and gimpy feet.  Plus, if Lopez can get more than $17M on the open market what is D-Mo going to fetch when the time comes?  I'd take D-Mo over Brook Lopez.

B. Lopez played 29 mpg this season.  His last 4 seasons he has played 5 games, 74 games, 17 games, and 72 games--all on minute restrictions....If I'm an NBA GM there is just no way I give him big money and a long contract--it's one or the other.  He already has foot and back problems...red flags.....red flags everywhere.

#14 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,865 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 04:29 PM

I disagree that a low level team will scoop him up.  These days most of them have figured out that losing and developing youth is a better plan--especially when Rondo is the alternative.

He should go play in a Euro League and be the "American Dennis Schroder".  :P

Don't forget how the new CBA is going to completely change how GM's value players. Sure, that doesn't happen until after the 2016 season, but there are going to be a few GM's with extra salary cap to fill next season and one of them will likely sign Rondo.

It will be interesting to see if Woj is able to interview Rondo before the start of free agency to try to find out the "other side of the story". Carlisle is an excellent coach, but not the easiest to play for.

#15 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
              • 4,128 posts
              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 April 2015 - 06:47 PM

Don't forget how the new CBA is going to completely change how GM's value players. Sure, that doesn't happen until after the 2016 season, but there are going to be a few GM's with extra salary cap to fill next season and one of them will likely sign Rondo.

It will be interesting to see if Woj is able to interview Rondo before the start of free agency to try to find out the "other side of the story". Carlisle is an excellent coach, but not the easiest to play for.

Oh, I agree and understand that.  It's not about price.  I wouldn't sign this guy if he offered to play for free.  He's all risk no reward right now.

I do agree that we will very likely see his agent set up an interview to try and paint him as a victim/martyr and still elite PG.  Anyone who buys it deserves their fool's gold. 

#16 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
              • 2,303 posts
              • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:01 AM

I agree johnnygold. I hope the Rockets don't even consider Rondo. I rather see Dragic, Knight, Joseph, Beno or Cole in Rockets red than Rondo.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Rockets throw some serious bread at Marco Belinelli.
              How sweet it is!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users