Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (25 October 2015 - 08:26 PM) also read the Zach Lowe article - he's definitely drinking the kool-aid, and for good reason! I don't know if we're the biggest regular season threat (howard's health), but I think we are in the playoffs.
@  majik19 : (25 October 2015 - 08:25 PM) Sad about Saunders... seems sudden, though I knew he had fought on and off with cancer.
@  jorgeaam : (25 October 2015 - 06:41 PM) RIP Flip Saunders, sad day for basketball
@  YaoMan : (23 October 2015 - 04:49 PM) Zach Lowe seems to think the Rox are the biggest threat to GSW: http://grantland.com...-16-nba-season/
@  cointurtlemoose : (23 October 2015 - 04:36 PM) Hey if yall want a good podcast to listen to, find the Dunc'd On Basketball Podcast on Itunes, Rahat just did a Rockets preview with the host.
@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com

Photo

The McFail Myth

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:13 AM

Morey sucks. He choice Joey Dorsey over DeAndre Jordan, and Marcus Morris over Kawhi Leonard.

#22 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 548 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 02:44 PM

The one thing detractors of any coach seem to forget is that the coach doesn't have full control over his roster, ever. He isn't playing 2K15 with a controller, he is dealing personally with humans. Humans with vastly varying personalities. Humans, often with different goals than what the coach and majority of the team is trying to achieve.

McHale has had to "deal" with a pouting top-tier center coming off the bench who either refused to play, or quite possibly played with the effort focused on improving his value for future contracts/trades. Same issue with a certain 2 guard who had a flash of greatness that was constantly being chased. Same issue with a 2nd-round draft pick SF on a minimum, in a contract season looking for the big payday. I will go out on a limb and say that I doubt the motivations of these 3 players were to win at all costs and conform to a system that didn't highlight their abilities. How can anyone task the coach 100% with changing these major piece's mindsets?

This season is different as we shed all of our malcontents, and the entire team is buying into the system. The proof is in the Snack-Pack.

The Rockets are at the forefront of innovators in the league. They are testing out entirely new approaches to the game in terms of defense, shot selection, scouting, recruiting and more. These are things that would be impossible to achieve or even experiment with an old-school coach (old dog, new tricks). This is a learning process for the coach as much as the players and McHale, seemingly, has done a great job of implementing the system and building a camaraderie among his players. I can think of big name old-school coaches I would rather have to coach any team (and run their own system), but can't think of any younger coaches who I feel could do a better job than McHale has at this point with the constraints and personnel he has had to work within.

The loose style of ball we play (read and react) requires chemistry and familiarity among the participants. The chemistry is the foundation. Once established, as it has, then we are seeing some actual drawn-up plays inserted into the game with proof residing in our huge ATO play improvements on both ends.

I think McHale is doing a terrific job, even without mentioning the fact that we are winning games with such a depleted roster. Who deserves props for that?

#23 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,137 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 December 2014 - 04:59 PM

@JG/txtdo1411

I agree the Rockets are aggressive in there quest to become champions again. the Rockets intentions are good, but in the case of McHale it's misguided. JG I'm not trying to out wit Morey on this one. I simply disagree with his opinion on McHale. I hope I'm wrong, but I call it the way I see it. the Rockets are my team, but I don't have to agree with everything they do in order for them to be my team. I don't have to be trying to out wit anybody because I have a difference of opinion do I? Morey is the right man for the job IMO, but he isn't above making mistakes. just because I trust him don't mean I have to agree with everything he does.

My bad--I obviously chose my words poorly--as that seems to be the main focus of your post.  Don't let the word "outwit" detract from the point.  Call it whatever you want.  I agree that Morey is not infallible--that would be erroneous and ignorant to believe.  I do know that Morey doesn't sit on his mistakes and doesn't seem to have so much pride that he can't admit them when he makes them.

You can disagree all you want.  I'm not questioning your fan-hood.  I'm not questioning your intelligence.  I might suggest you're being stubborn, but that would be the pot calling the kettle black.  :lol:

It's not about whether McHale is the best coach ever--he's not.  Is he the best fit for our team?  That's my perspective and, from that point of view, I think he is a pretty solid choice.  Yes, it is dependent on having quality assistants (which is true for any coach), quality players, and a quality organization in general....again, when is this not true for any coach?  He fits here.

There is the adage that goes, "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."  I think that maybe you are looking at McHale in this manner.  You're not wrong about him, just maybe focusing on skills that don't exemplify what makes him good...

#24 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,125 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 11 December 2014 - 02:17 AM

My bad--I obviously chose my words poorly--as that seems to be the main focus of your post.  Don't let the word "outwit" detract from the point.  Call it whatever you want.  I agree that Morey is not infallible--that would be erroneous and ignorant to believe.  I do know that Morey doesn't sit on his mistakes and doesn't seem to have so much pride that he can't admit them when he makes them.

You can disagree all you want.  I'm not questioning your fan-hood.  I'm not questioning your intelligence.  I might suggest you're being stubborn, but that would be the pot calling the kettle black.  :lol:

It's not about whether McHale is the best coach ever--he's not.  Is he the best fit for our team?  That's my perspective and, from that point of view, I think he is a pretty solid choice.  Yes, it is dependent on having quality assistants (which is true for any coach), quality players, and a quality organization in general....again, when is this not true for any coach?  He fits here.

There is the adage that goes, "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."  I think that maybe you are looking at McHale in this manner.  You're not wrong about him, just maybe focusing on skills that don't exemplify what makes him good...

JG that last line hmmmmm.........interesting. judging a coach by things I think the coaches should exemplify is a bad thing? McHale has found a different coaching approach that is so dynamic that he is above the criteria that all other coaches are judge by? of course not. without getting into the various reasons why I believe McHale is a bad coach (lord knows me and you have beat this subject to death :lol: ) by any criteria I could judge him by he would fail. I'm glad he has allowed the assistants to absorb the lions share of LEADERSHIP, because that is clearly not one of his strong suits. there is a different direction in the locker room right now and I'm really not going to try and rain on the parade. McHale may have found his best trait...........delegation :lol:

Edited by rockets best fan, 11 December 2014 - 02:24 AM.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#25 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,865 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:44 PM

It's certainly too early to say with any certainty, but I have a hunch that Leslie Alexander will re-sign Coach McHale to an extension, especially the way this season has started out. The players obviously respect him and McHale is clearly a player's coach.

#26 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 4,125 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:36 AM

It's certainly too early to say with any certainty, but I have a hunch that Leslie Alexander will re-sign Coach McHale to an extension, especially the way this season has started out. The players obviously respect him and McHale is clearly a player's coach.

I doubt it. McHale has to win a playoff series to keep his job IMO.............anything less would be uncivilized :lol:

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#27 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,137 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 December 2014 - 05:14 PM

I doubt it. McHale has to win a playoff series to keep his job IMO.............anything less would be uncivilized :lol:

Well, looks like McHale just got a three year extension according to Woj.  Sorry, RBF  :lol:

#28 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 2,008 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 07:01 PM

http://espn.go.com/n...extension-coach

Gotta give three more years to the "winningest" coach in Rockets history.

Edited by Steven, 24 December 2014 - 07:01 PM.

#29 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,865 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 08:14 PM

"We didn't want anybody else going after him (McHale)," Rockets owner Leslie Alexander said, "We think he's an integral part of the organization."

"He is a no-nonsense guy with the least ego of anybody I've ever met," Alexander continued. "We thought he'd be great long-term."

"Players love him," Alexander said, "He has that rare ability to be straight-forward, honest and tough. Almost nobody can do that."

#30 majik19

majik19

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 280 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 08:42 PM

Now we're really about to see how he connects to players - Josh Smith will be his biggest challenge since Kyle Lowry. (Note - not disparaging Lowry - they just clashed frequently). 

#31 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 4,125 posts
              • Locationhouston

Posted 26 December 2014 - 03:08 AM

Well, looks like McHale just got a three year extension according to Woj.  Sorry, RBF  :lol:

I'm not as alarmed as you might think...........with the addition of Smith and us still holding the assets to pull off a major trade we may be about to reach the point I spoke of as the only condition we would be successful under with McHale as our head coach. we may be on the cusp of creating a super team. one where the talent is able to override the short comings of the coach. I still don't like the man as a coach and believe he's not fit to coach a high school team, but with one more key acquisition to our talent pool it may not matter

Edited by rockets best fan, 26 December 2014 - 03:09 AM.

#32 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPip
              • 1,865 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 01:08 PM

When in NBA History has Talent overrided the Championship Coach?

Sorry, I simply don't recall.

Unless it was the 1980's............and prior?

Even then, Absolutely Questionable IF.............and IF.............

#33 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
                • 1,416 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 12:24 AM

Most important quality he has is that the players like him.  You can make up for his shortcomings with good assistants, which is what Morey is realizing.  I think, most importantly, the Rockets needed to depict stability within the organization and this quick extension does that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users