Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Houston Rockets 104, Utah Jazz 93: Houston Rockets don't seem to have lost much on the wings

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 31 October 2014 - 05:20 PM

JG - My fear isn't about Harden getting hurt, but rather, wearing out.

I know--I got that.  I thought I mentioned that specifically, but looking back I left that out.  That is what I was referring to when I was talking about Harden switching his game from attacking LA at the rim all night to shooting more jumpers and creating more for his teammates versus Utah.  I think that signals his own awareness of the wear and tear the season has on his body and he is doing things to limit that effect.

That combined with the ability to use Dwight I think should be enough to keep him rested.  I also (don't hate me for what I am about to say) think that Jason Terry can fill in for James occasionally throughout the season (perhaps against the Philadelphias and Minnesotas of the league) to let him rest.  He has looked capable enough so far.

Let's be frank.  Outside of back to backs (particularly on the road) James Harden, and nearly all NBA players under 30, should have zero trouble mustering the strength and stamina to play 36 minutes of basketball.  I'm fine with getting him some extra rest throughout the season, running the offense through Dwight, letting Terry sub in for him, whatever....Like Alituro said, sports is for hope, excitement, and enjoyment--not stress and worry.  Worrying is Morey and McHale's job.  :)

#22 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 31 October 2014 - 06:11 PM

I'm excited that we're winning, just that I'm not ready to crown them champions just yet as some are ready to. I want to see us beat SAS(at full strength), Chicago, Cleveland, Portland, Clippers, etc... We all knew this team was good, but is it great?

Who is crowning us as champions?  

4177663-4ovlkqc.gif

I can tell you right now.  We are going to beat many of those teams this season....and we are going to get beat by many of those teams this season.  Look around the league.  Last year, a team with the world's best PG, PF, and a DPOY candidate at center led by a championship-caliber coach (allegedly) barely got out of the first round and then fell short in the second.

OKC, sporting the 2nd best player in the world, the 2nd best PG (some say best), another DPOY candidate, and some quality players around them couldn't get to the finals.

Portland--same.  Portland is a very good team (despite what people want to think) and they snuck into the 2nd round only to get trounced by SA.

Look at GS.  They are very good.  Are they "serious contenders"?  Probably not in most people's eyes; yet, they will make the playoffs and they could very well get to the finals from there.  It's anyone's game right now.

Are the Rockets great?  That's the kind of thing that gets determined in hindsight.  there have been tons of "great" teams that have accomplished nothing (at least in the eyes of the most demanding fans).  I suppose Reggie Miller's career in Indiana was a failure?  Malone?  Barkley?  People draw different lines in the sand and some of those lines are, frankly, ridiculous.  You may as well demand your children become president of the United States--ALL OF THEM--otherwise, they are failures.

Like you said, this team is good.  Let's all sit back, relax, and enjoy that.  We all seem to agree that Houston is going to win between 50-58 games....which means we all agree that Houston is going to lose 24-32 games this season.  So what's the big deal?  We'll beat the pants off of some good teams and they will do the same to us--what does that tell you?  We were 4-0 against SA last year--what did that net us?

Don't forget what Morey said, this team will be better at the end of the season (pre-playoffs) than it is now.  I mean, Cleveland just lost to the Knicks--THE KNICKS!.  Should they panic?

Speaking for everyone--I'd say we expect to have a solid season, make the playoffs, and then anyone who isn't nervous about the playoffs is delusional.  All 8 teams will be nervous about the playoffs in the West.  San Antonio had to go through Dallas, Portland, and then OKC to make the finals where they then had to beat the Miami Heat.  Does that sound easy?

I guess I'm just confused about what it would take to make it more comfortable for people.  Would Rondo guarantee us anything?  Would Rondo+Millsap guarantee us anything?  No.  That's why it's fun.  Because we don't know.  I guarantee if we had those guys people would be worried about Rondo's shooting and Millsap's defense and how Harden and Rondo co-exist because they're both ball dominant and we have no depth (because we traded it all for those guys)--and on and on.

#23 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 31 October 2014 - 10:18 PM

i don't get the ball dominant point on harden...he didn't play that way in College, OKC, the Olympics, etc etc. He's played that way here in Houston sure, but is that really by choice or because he's our best creator? I seriously think Harden doesn't care about bringing the ball up and isolating as long as he gets enough touches (25 or so a game) he'd let someone else be the main ball handler.

That said, I fully expect the rockets (and i think they are favored) to get home court as long as H and H stay healthy for 150+ games combined. This is the same thing as last year, the year before, etc etc. Is that a caveat, or a hedge, sure...but its the same hedge every team sans (maybe) San Antonio makes about they're top players.

Also, I don't think the jazz are that bad guys....Corbin was a TERRIBLE coach (he made McHale look like a Hall of Fame level coach in comparison). The change for them with just that was easily apparent last night with the rotations/starting line-up/defensive scheme. They'll win in the 30s this year. Nothing outstanding, but a solid bad team imo.

Edited by Losthief, 31 October 2014 - 10:19 PM.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#24 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 November 2014 - 04:11 PM

i don't get the ball dominant point on harden...he didn't play that way in College, OKC, the Olympics, etc etc. He's played that way here in Houston sure, but is that really by choice or because he's our best creator? I seriously think Harden doesn't care about bringing the ball up and isolating as long as he gets enough touches (25 or so a game) he'd let someone else be the main ball handler.

That said, I fully expect the rockets (and i think they are favored) to get home court as long as H and H stay healthy for 150+ games combined. This is the same thing as last year, the year before, etc etc. Is that a caveat, or a hedge, sure...but its the same hedge every team sans (maybe) San Antonio makes about they're top players.

Also, I don't think the jazz are that bad guys....Corbin was a TERRIBLE coach (he made McHale look like a Hall of Fame level coach in comparison). The change for them with just that was easily apparent last night with the rotations/starting line-up/defensive scheme. They'll win in the 30s this year. Nothing outstanding, but a solid bad team imo.

It's born out of the media/blog driven hate of Harden.  They think he is an ego-maniacal ball hog who is only interested in scoring and padding his stats.  Lin fans had a lot to do with spreading the Harden Hate.  I certainly don't subscribe to it and think he would actually enjoy playing off-ball more than he does here.  As Kevin McHale once quipped, "...we're trying to win"--which is why James does so much for us.

#25 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 04:21 PM

Yeah, Jazz are a little better team this year. Not quite the roll-over team they were last year.

The large amount of Harden ISOs (the chief amount being in the fourth quarter) struck me as being a product of being up 10-12 points in the fourth quarter, not necessarily a preferable way of consistently running an offense. They run down the clock, and give us an acceptable chance for points.

I hope Black improves on his finishing ability. I know he's undersized and young. But it would be nice.

Don't know if it shows in the statline, but Jones looked more hustle-y! Going after loose balls hard, slightly more assertive on defense. Hope he keeps growing here.

I just love Papa.

#26 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,597 posts
    • LocationAlabama

Posted 01 November 2014 - 04:35 PM

I don't that hate Harden but, IMO he is our PG. I think JG is right when he states that it is almost by default.

Why so Serious? :D

#27 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,290 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 05:58 PM

Yeah i thought maybe bev had more to show than he did last year but it looks like he is what he is.

#28 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,137 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:59 PM

I want to give Bev more than 2 games before writing him off on offense...I think he can do better than what he has shown so far.

#29 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 2,597 posts
      • LocationAlabama

Posted 01 November 2014 - 09:11 PM

I do too a little bit but he'll never be a creator. I think his ceiling is Fisher. But with Harden we don't really need that if he's on. But we have seen at times harden doesn't have it, we need an option 2. That used to be Parsons/Lin. Now we have Canaan and Papa. Hopefully one of them emerges as a playmaker.

Why so Serious? :D

#30 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
      • 1,416 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 11:22 PM

I think Bev is the perfect fit next to Harden, with the caveat that he improve his shooting slightly.

#31 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 475 posts
        • LocationHouston

Posted 02 November 2014 - 02:30 AM

to that...i'd have to look at harden's spot up shooting versus off the dribble. based on eye test though when harden gets the ball passed to him and he can just step in and shoot (like in transition) he's deadly, if we could get that in the flow of the offense via a penetrating pg, or a pick and roll btwn pg and dwight with harden on the wing. I dunno, i know im being picky, but I don't think bev is the 'ideal' fit next to harden, but he's about as good as you can get sans all-star level player.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users