Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

On contention

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#81 marbony81110

marbony81110

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:47 AM

@JG

I don't post often, but I had to respond to the interview. I read the interview and the posted comments. Apparently Harden is a volume shooter, the WORST defender in the NBA, and one of the worst SGs in the NBA. There were a couple fact driven comments on there, but the majority were Harden-bashers with no evidence, facts, or details to support their claims. Its like you said, if things go right we can be the best and if things go wrong would could be somewhere in the bottom(highly unlikely). I believe a 4 or 5 seed is realistic. I believe Harden will be even more effective and efficient on offense with some defensive improvement, mainly to prove people wrong. We all know he can defend it is just his effort at times.

#82 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:36 AM

I'd say that if a max player at his level doesn't think of themselves as the best player, there's a problem.  

#83 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,133 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:27 PM

I'd say that if a max player at his level doesn't think of themselves as the best player, there's a problem.  

Fake it 'til you make it...I believe is the phrase of choice.  It makes sense.  I have no problem with Harden saying he is the best--at the same time he acknowledges that until he starts putting up some MVP's and Championships it's only words.  I know this tradition goes as far back as Muhammed Ali, and might even stretch back beyond Jessie Owens (who should have said it, but for obvious reasons restrained himself) to Babe Ruth--at least as far as modern competition goes.  Did gladiators not practice the same ideal in Rome?

Every professional athlete these days knows another phrase: "to be the best, you've got to beat the best".  I have no doubt James Harden, and the rest of the team, are more aware of their dismal showing against the likes of the Clips and Thunder than any of us.  Everyone lauded Lin for how humble he is (although he recently spoke out and corrected his fans stating that his biggest sin is pride--which they turned around to emphasize how humble he is to recognize his own faults  :lol: ) and Harden gets slammed for his ego.  Yet, would we want it any other way?  Irrational Confidence Guy (thanks for the term, Bill Simmons) is always a fan favorite--except Harden for some reason.  I can say this: at the end of a game I want the ball in the hands of the guy who believes, to his very core, that he is the best and can do what needs to be done.

@Marbony81110

I appreciate your bravery in delving into the pits of ESPN comment sections.  :lol:

One of my favorites is when a poster will cite a figure (that is completely made up) and then, over a very short period of time, that figure becomes a fact because no one actually looks up their own information.  There was a guy who said (basically), "It's easy to put up points when you take 50 shots a night".  Someone is going to throw that in our faces sooner than later as if it is indisputable fact.  Which takes us back to the flow chart....

@RBF

Thanks for the kind words--always appreciated.  I love this place too.  I agree with you about how awful it would be to be in the same shoes as these athletes with the media waiting for any verbal misstep to take to the masses and call you a witch--it has nearly reached a level of McCarthyism where your reputation, career, and possibly more can be destroyed simply through finger pointing.  If it were me, I would memorize one phrase and repeat it for every, single question....

Reporter: "Who is the best player in the NBA?"

Me: "Thanks for the question.  First, I love my team.  I love my job and I love the city and people I play for.  I'm going to continue working as hard as I can to make us the best we can be.  Speaking of that, I've got to get back to work.  Have a nice day."

Reporter: "But you didn't answer the question?!?!"

Me: "Sorry, got work to do ....(as I'm walking away)"

You can't get away with that Popovich/Belichek stuff until after you win some championships  B)   I recognize it's not this easy because the league has media requirements that are built into the deal.  The fact that people have to be questioned during the emotion and heat of a game makes it that much harder (something I despise).  I can say without hesitation that if I were interviewed immediately after a tough loss when I was in my early 20's they would have had to cut off the microphone.  People who are highly competitive tend to not take losing very well--those that do are a rare breed--particularly when they are young.

Harden will learn to speak "media-nese" eventually.  It's too bad that he has to.  I love hearing athletes speak with candor, but usually they can only do that once their career is over.

#84 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,133 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:48 AM

...and the hits keep on coming....LINK

ESPN and their panel of experts (including our very own Rahat Huq and Michael Pina :wub: ) have predicted that only the Lakers are more likely to descend into turmoil this season.

Ahead of such teams as Indiana, Golden State, Miami, or Minnesota!!!  (only Indy made the top 5!)

GSW- fired their player-loved coach after a very good season, dangled players in the Love trade and ultimately did little to improve the roster while bringing in Steve Kerr who single-handedly brought down the Phoenix Suns during Steve Nash's prime as the GM.  Lots of potential for "turmoil" here.

Miami--this one's obvious....moving on.

Minnesota--also pretty obvious--how does this train wreck not make the top 5?

Indy--at least they have validity to their turmoil.

What about Detroit?  Van Gundy is not going to tolerate their garbage very long--can he rein in Jennings and Josh Smith?  I wish they did a Hard Knocks-type show for basketball and Detroit was the team.

Meanwhile, the reasoning for Houston scoring that #2 rank is the same old broken record.  We lost 3 of our top 7 players and only replaced them with Ariza.  Our PG and PF are below average (despite being the same ones from last season which helped get us to 4th place).  James Harden says things....blah, blah, blah...

I really should ignore all these things.  At this point, I find it funny.

EDIT: forgot to ask Rahat and Michael--who did you guys vote for?...if you don't mind sharing.

#85 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,008 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:19 AM

Rockets win 60 games this season.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users