Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  slick shoes : (21 June 2019 - 01:20 AM) ....and the new uniforms are trash.
@  thejohnnygold : (15 June 2019 - 02:05 PM) Agreed. Although, the injury narrative will probably keep them chirping.
@  slick shoes : (14 June 2019 - 02:40 PM) SO glad all of the Warriors fanboys can crawl back into their respective holes for an entire year. Good for Toronto/Canada as well.
@  thejohnnygold : (05 June 2019 - 07:33 PM) I think so.
@  slick shoes : (04 June 2019 - 07:20 PM) Dame and CJ #2 I assume?
@  thejohnnygold : (30 May 2019 - 05:42 PM) 3rd best backcourt in the NBA!!!
@  slick shoes : (29 May 2019 - 09:04 PM) im sure hed be great alongside jrue holiday and no one else. 100% iso ball all the time.
@  thejohnnygold : (29 May 2019 - 06:46 PM) Anthony Davis + the #1 pick?
@  slick shoes : (29 May 2019 - 05:39 PM) shopping the entire team including james. what is the point if you trade our best player away? what could we possibly get in return that is equal value of james harden?
@  slick shoes : (11 May 2019 - 02:07 AM) turnovers and missed free throws the theme of the game thus far. throwing away endless points.
@  thejohnnygold : (09 May 2019 - 01:35 PM) I wish we had found a way to steal that game...it was there for the taking.
@  Mario Peña : (01 May 2019 - 04:09 AM) Is it me or does Capela look in over his head? Why is this happening now?
@  Mario Peña : (26 April 2019 - 09:14 PM) Imagine how much it ticks off Beverly, Harrell and Williams.
@  slick shoes : (25 April 2019 - 09:58 PM) Power move by the Rockets. We travel to Oakland ahead of their next game with the assumption that GSW wins. This gives LAC bulletin board material for the game.
@  thejohnnygold : (24 April 2019 - 01:47 PM) We needed to dust off Nene either way...I think that's the way to go.
@  Mario Peña : (23 April 2019 - 09:48 PM) I wonder if kicking the tires on Nene would be beneficial. Some Nene PNR and board crashing in short stints could help against Gobert/Favors.
@  slick shoes : (23 April 2019 - 09:26 PM) Going to have to dig deep tomorrow night with Clint limited. Will be curious to see how the coaching staff adjusts to their new formula. Perhaps driving in to Gobert and getting him in early foul trouble.
@  Mario Peña : (18 April 2019 - 03:41 PM) I agree slick.
@  slick shoes : (17 April 2019 - 01:02 PM) Boogie was their answer to our run in the WCF last year. When we cover all of their shooters they can dump it to Cousins who has a physical advantage over Clint and can also shoot the 3 which pulls him from the rim. They still have Bogut but this takes them back to the W's of last year which our team has shown to match up well against with full strength.
@  Mario Peña : (16 April 2019 - 08:50 PM) I think in a general sense you are correct Johnny. Getting specific to the Rockets though I think we have the personnel to wear Curry down defensively and offensively so for the Rockets could the exit of Cousins be a good thing? To me Cousins also presented a possible matchup wrinkle the Rockets have had to figure out, maybe?

Photo

2019 Free Agency

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 15 May 2019 - 01:28 PM

Sadly we have arrived short of our goal and are now forced to reflect on what has happened and what we can do to change things for the next season. Clearly we will have to tweak several things with our philosophy and roster to adjust to what happened to us both early in the regular season and towards the end/playoff run. We probably have one more year left of EG. Rivers only stays if the market for him is dry. Why do we even have Faried on the roster if freaking 80 year old Nene is playing ahead of him? I'd like to see us make another run at Jimmy B. It's a long shot, but you've at least got to get into the same room as him at some point this summer.

I'll also throw this out there just for fun. I wonder if it would be at all possible for a sign and trade with the Charlotte Hornets for Kemba with CP3 and a future pick going back in return. Charlotte needs to get rid of Kemba and tank to finally turn the corner as a franchise, but they also can't let him walk for nothing. Here's where the home town hero Chris Paul comes to the rescue. He can still fill some seats with his star power and passing ability while grooming the young talent they'll acquire through the draft. He gets to play in front of his home town crowd every night while still probably not winning enough games to make the playoffs. Kemba comes to an immediate contender with James being the same age at the same place in their careers. Both are clearly able to take over a game late when the team needs it (something CP cannot do at this point). The money matches, etcetera etcetera.

Blow some holes in my scheme. 

when you win two games in a row that's called a winning streak.

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#2 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,150 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:59 PM

Sadly we have arrived short of our goal and are now forced to reflect on what has happened and what we can do to change things for the next season. Clearly we will have to tweak several things with our philosophy and roster to adjust to what happened to us both early in the regular season and towards the end/playoff run. We probably have one more year left of EG. Rivers only stays if the market for him is dry. Why do we even have Faried on the roster if freaking 80 year old Nene is playing ahead of him? I'd like to see us make another run at Jimmy B. It's a long shot, but you've at least got to get into the same room as him at some point this summer.

I'll also throw this out there just for fun. I wonder if it would be at all possible for a sign and trade with the Charlotte Hornets for Kemba with CP3 and a future pick going back in return. Charlotte needs to get rid of Kemba and tank to finally turn the corner as a franchise, but they also can't let him walk for nothing. Here's where the home town hero Chris Paul comes to the rescue. He can still fill some seats with his star power and passing ability while grooming the young talent they'll acquire through the draft. He gets to play in front of his home town crowd every night while still probably not winning enough games to make the playoffs. Kemba comes to an immediate contender with James being the same age at the same place in their careers. Both are clearly able to take over a game late when the team needs it (something CP cannot do at this point). The money matches, etcetera etcetera.

Blow some holes in my scheme. 

I'm not certain MJ would trade Kemba for CP3 (plus a pick likely in the latter part of the 1st round).  I feel like he can do better than that on the open market.

I really thought we'd get at least 1 more year of "good" CP3, but that appears to be a long shot now unless he was nursing injuries we don't know about that affected his play.  Maybe he comes back refreshed next season...we can only hope.

There's a ton of free agents out there, but we will likely have to wait for the dust to settle before we sign whoever is left over.  Ladies and gentleman, we present the newest member of the Houston Rockets: Isaiah Thomas!!!  :unsure:

#3 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:19 PM

I'm not certain MJ would trade Kemba for CP3 (plus a pick likely in the latter part of the 1st round).  I feel like he can do better than that on the open market.

We could always go with the four future firsts offer?  ;)

#4 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 30 May 2019 - 08:40 PM

Trade package #1 seems familiar for some reason.....

#5 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,150 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 31 May 2019 - 03:53 PM

None of that excited me.  :(

#6 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 31 May 2019 - 04:03 PM

None of that excited me.  :(

Gonna be some tough times coming until we can get free of these huge contracts. Hate to see Clint go but after five seasons he still has no post game, baby/sky hook or jumper. Congrats, you can roll to the rim and catch the lob (sometimes). Free throws are a big liability there as well. 

I hope more than anything that a true team leader emerges from all of this (and I don't think his last name is Harden). CP will likely be with us for the duration of his contract which ought to limit us for the next few years. Almost seems like we should just hang on to our picks and rebuild through the draft at this point. 

I will also be curious to see who we bring in after next season for the head coaching role. Testing the waters with Ty Lue isn't very encouraging. Not a huge fan of Thibs either. I hope we are calling the Warriors/Spurs for their assistants' availability.  

EDIT: Oddly enough Nick Nurse used the RGVV as a stepping stone to leading his team to the NBA finals. Swing and a miss!

Edited by slick shoes, 31 May 2019 - 04:05 PM.

#7 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,150 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 June 2019 - 04:53 PM

Sacramento has a bevy of talented bigs.  I'd love to try and pry Harry Giles away from them.

Until we get a coach who insists that we play as a team and insists Harden falls in line with that edict we are very limited in terms of who we can bring in.  Every piece we have is here because they are supposed to help Harden be Harden.  CP3?  Just here to spell him so he can rest on offense.  Gordon?  Floor spacer.  Clint?  Pick n roll.  Tucker?  Corner 3's.  (obviously, I am just looking at the offensive end.)

That's good and well...until a smart team with a smart coach comes along and finds a way to neutralize that.  Then what?  You saw the same thing in the Milwaukee series.  Milwaukee had the better squad, but the offensive system was easily thwarted by a good coach and capable players.

Ugh...how I long for a basketball team that plays basketball.  Anyone note the interesting stat from last night's game?  The Warriors assisted on 34 of 38 made buckets (iirc).  In other news, you will never see this stat for any Rockets' game as long as Harden is here.  (Or as long as we continue to insist this is the best way to run our offense).

#8 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 June 2019 - 04:04 PM

The two trades here are somewhat intriguing. 

The Clint scenario doesn't work IMO because of James and Tristan's common Kardashian past. I like the idea of trading back into the draft and getting a top five pick in return but I don't see how the locker room functions with those two together. 

The CP3 scenario would also be something I would probably pull the trigger on. This creates the space we need to put another YOUNG star alongside Harden. We are leaving peak Harden era and needs the offensive help more than ever. 

I have heard that the Heat will be making a run at CP and PJ on July 1st as well.

This upcoming season will probably be a step backward before (hopefully) taking another step forward in the following one. 

#9 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,150 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 June 2019 - 02:14 PM

I truly have no idea what we are looking at.  Anything seems plausible.  (FYI, your link is going to some weird re-draft article).

I was driving and pondering a scenario that involved us sending Paul/Capela to Boston for Kyrie (sign+trade), Ojeleye, and possibly Jaylen Brown too.  For some reason, I think Stevens would LOVE having a floor general like CP3 to work with.  Plus, that's a nice haul for them considering Irving was about to walk.  Basically, they're getting HOF PG Chris Paul plus an elite rim defender + pick n roll partner for the price of two 3&D guys.

Houston needs to tread lightly.  There has been lots of rhetoric about Tucker and his role here.  To trade him now would mean nothing that comes from the Houston front office has any meaning.  

#10 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 17 June 2019 - 12:37 PM

I truly have no idea what we are looking at.  Anything seems plausible.  (FYI, your link is going to some weird re-draft article).

I was driving and pondering a scenario that involved us sending Paul/Capela to Boston for Kyrie (sign+trade), Ojeleye, and possibly Jaylen Brown too.  For some reason, I think Stevens would LOVE having a floor general like CP3 to work with.  Plus, that's a nice haul for them considering Irving was about to walk.  Basically, they're getting HOF PG Chris Paul plus an elite rim defender + pick n roll partner for the price of two 3&D guys.

Houston needs to tread lightly.  There has been lots of rhetoric about Tucker and his role here.  To trade him now would mean nothing that comes from the Houston front office has any meaning.  

Sorry, corrected link here

With KD and Klay out for basically the entire season next year, I am wondering why we don't run it back one more time with a bit better bench depth. The Lakers seem to now be the team to beat and I feel good against Frank Vogel and co. 

#11 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,150 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:36 PM

Sorry, corrected link here

With KD and Klay out for basically the entire season next year, I am wondering why we don't run it back one more time with a bit better bench depth. The Lakers seem to now be the team to beat and I feel good against Frank Vogel and co. 

Our window is certainly getting smaller.  The chance of tearing down and rebuilding before James enters "past his prime" is pretty much off the table.  That's a large part of why I like the Kyrie trade.  Our offense, despite paying an offensive savant $5M/yr., seems to be get out of the way and let Harden create (Oh, what a job to have!)  If that's the plan then a player like Kyrie side-by-side with James would be nearly unstoppable.  Defensively...well, this could be an issue.  As long as the shots are falling we would be tough to beat.

I don't care much for the Cleveland deal.  Tristan Thompson doesn't seem like a match for our team.  The Chicago deal isn't the worst I've seen, but I'm higher than most on Dunn (I probably shouldn't be).  I'm also dubious about a 26 yr. old center who couldn't get minutes on a garbage team like Chicago.  The main thing to like is the #7 pick, but when the dust settles this feels like a major step back unless we somehow nab a Donovan Mitchell/Dennis Smith Jr. with that pick.

Regarding the Lakers...we'll see who they can get in FA.  So far, we're looking at LeBron, Davis, and Kuzma.  Granted, that's a real nice start.  However, we watched them cobble together a ridiculous roster last year...who knows?  Maybe they do it again? (I doubt it).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users