Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  slick shoes : (23 July 2019 - 03:04 PM) McLemore is an interesting add. Apparently we are gathering all of the first round flops of the past few years
@  Mario Peña : (12 July 2019 - 03:06 AM) WHOA.
@  slick shoes : (08 July 2019 - 09:16 PM) I would have to assume that to bring in Russ we'd have to ship out CP. I don't see it working any other way.
@  thejohnnygold : (08 July 2019 - 08:45 PM) The money makes it virtually impossible...I wouldn't worry. I have to admit I find the idea of having Paul, Harden, and Westbrook on the floor together intriguing.
@  slick shoes : (08 July 2019 - 02:51 PM) im going to go ahead and pass on any westbrook to houston deals. iso hell.
@  slick shoes : (30 June 2019 - 11:43 PM) trevor ariza has absolutely zero interest in returning to houston lol
@  slick shoes : (28 June 2019 - 08:16 PM) Id rather lose EG or Clint than PJ and ONLY if were getting Jimmy. Sounds like we have a trade partner for Clint if Jimmy isnt using us for leverage for his 5 year max offer.
@  thejohnnygold : (26 June 2019 - 11:33 PM) Do y'all think if we all tweet at Morey to NOT trade PJ he'd listen?
@  slick shoes : (21 June 2019 - 01:20 AM) ....and the new uniforms are trash.
@  thejohnnygold : (15 June 2019 - 02:05 PM) Agreed. Although, the injury narrative will probably keep them chirping.
@  slick shoes : (14 June 2019 - 02:40 PM) SO glad all of the Warriors fanboys can crawl back into their respective holes for an entire year. Good for Toronto/Canada as well.
@  thejohnnygold : (05 June 2019 - 07:33 PM) I think so.
@  slick shoes : (04 June 2019 - 07:20 PM) Dame and CJ #2 I assume?
@  thejohnnygold : (30 May 2019 - 05:42 PM) 3rd best backcourt in the NBA!!!
@  slick shoes : (29 May 2019 - 09:04 PM) im sure hed be great alongside jrue holiday and no one else. 100% iso ball all the time.
@  thejohnnygold : (29 May 2019 - 06:46 PM) Anthony Davis + the #1 pick?
@  slick shoes : (29 May 2019 - 05:39 PM) shopping the entire team including james. what is the point if you trade our best player away? what could we possibly get in return that is equal value of james harden?
@  slick shoes : (11 May 2019 - 02:07 AM) turnovers and missed free throws the theme of the game thus far. throwing away endless points.
@  thejohnnygold : (09 May 2019 - 01:35 PM) I wish we had found a way to steal that game...it was there for the taking.
@  Mario Peña : (01 May 2019 - 04:09 AM) Is it me or does Capela look in over his head? Why is this happening now?

Photo

2019 Free Agency

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 15 May 2019 - 01:28 PM

Sadly we have arrived short of our goal and are now forced to reflect on what has happened and what we can do to change things for the next season. Clearly we will have to tweak several things with our philosophy and roster to adjust to what happened to us both early in the regular season and towards the end/playoff run. We probably have one more year left of EG. Rivers only stays if the market for him is dry. Why do we even have Faried on the roster if freaking 80 year old Nene is playing ahead of him? I'd like to see us make another run at Jimmy B. It's a long shot, but you've at least got to get into the same room as him at some point this summer.

I'll also throw this out there just for fun. I wonder if it would be at all possible for a sign and trade with the Charlotte Hornets for Kemba with CP3 and a future pick going back in return. Charlotte needs to get rid of Kemba and tank to finally turn the corner as a franchise, but they also can't let him walk for nothing. Here's where the home town hero Chris Paul comes to the rescue. He can still fill some seats with his star power and passing ability while grooming the young talent they'll acquire through the draft. He gets to play in front of his home town crowd every night while still probably not winning enough games to make the playoffs. Kemba comes to an immediate contender with James being the same age at the same place in their careers. Both are clearly able to take over a game late when the team needs it (something CP cannot do at this point). The money matches, etcetera etcetera.

Blow some holes in my scheme. 

when you win two games in a row that's called a winning streak.

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#2 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,156 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:59 PM

Sadly we have arrived short of our goal and are now forced to reflect on what has happened and what we can do to change things for the next season. Clearly we will have to tweak several things with our philosophy and roster to adjust to what happened to us both early in the regular season and towards the end/playoff run. We probably have one more year left of EG. Rivers only stays if the market for him is dry. Why do we even have Faried on the roster if freaking 80 year old Nene is playing ahead of him? I'd like to see us make another run at Jimmy B. It's a long shot, but you've at least got to get into the same room as him at some point this summer.

I'll also throw this out there just for fun. I wonder if it would be at all possible for a sign and trade with the Charlotte Hornets for Kemba with CP3 and a future pick going back in return. Charlotte needs to get rid of Kemba and tank to finally turn the corner as a franchise, but they also can't let him walk for nothing. Here's where the home town hero Chris Paul comes to the rescue. He can still fill some seats with his star power and passing ability while grooming the young talent they'll acquire through the draft. He gets to play in front of his home town crowd every night while still probably not winning enough games to make the playoffs. Kemba comes to an immediate contender with James being the same age at the same place in their careers. Both are clearly able to take over a game late when the team needs it (something CP cannot do at this point). The money matches, etcetera etcetera.

Blow some holes in my scheme. 

I'm not certain MJ would trade Kemba for CP3 (plus a pick likely in the latter part of the 1st round).  I feel like he can do better than that on the open market.

I really thought we'd get at least 1 more year of "good" CP3, but that appears to be a long shot now unless he was nursing injuries we don't know about that affected his play.  Maybe he comes back refreshed next season...we can only hope.

There's a ton of free agents out there, but we will likely have to wait for the dust to settle before we sign whoever is left over.  Ladies and gentleman, we present the newest member of the Houston Rockets: Isaiah Thomas!!!  :unsure:

#3 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:19 PM

I'm not certain MJ would trade Kemba for CP3 (plus a pick likely in the latter part of the 1st round).  I feel like he can do better than that on the open market.

We could always go with the four future firsts offer?  ;)

#4 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 30 May 2019 - 08:40 PM

Trade package #1 seems familiar for some reason.....

#5 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,156 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 31 May 2019 - 03:53 PM

None of that excited me.  :(

#6 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 31 May 2019 - 04:03 PM

None of that excited me.  :(

Gonna be some tough times coming until we can get free of these huge contracts. Hate to see Clint go but after five seasons he still has no post game, baby/sky hook or jumper. Congrats, you can roll to the rim and catch the lob (sometimes). Free throws are a big liability there as well. 

I hope more than anything that a true team leader emerges from all of this (and I don't think his last name is Harden). CP will likely be with us for the duration of his contract which ought to limit us for the next few years. Almost seems like we should just hang on to our picks and rebuild through the draft at this point. 

I will also be curious to see who we bring in after next season for the head coaching role. Testing the waters with Ty Lue isn't very encouraging. Not a huge fan of Thibs either. I hope we are calling the Warriors/Spurs for their assistants' availability.  

EDIT: Oddly enough Nick Nurse used the RGVV as a stepping stone to leading his team to the NBA finals. Swing and a miss!

Edited by slick shoes, 31 May 2019 - 04:05 PM.

#7 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,156 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 June 2019 - 04:53 PM

Sacramento has a bevy of talented bigs.  I'd love to try and pry Harry Giles away from them.

Until we get a coach who insists that we play as a team and insists Harden falls in line with that edict we are very limited in terms of who we can bring in.  Every piece we have is here because they are supposed to help Harden be Harden.  CP3?  Just here to spell him so he can rest on offense.  Gordon?  Floor spacer.  Clint?  Pick n roll.  Tucker?  Corner 3's.  (obviously, I am just looking at the offensive end.)

That's good and well...until a smart team with a smart coach comes along and finds a way to neutralize that.  Then what?  You saw the same thing in the Milwaukee series.  Milwaukee had the better squad, but the offensive system was easily thwarted by a good coach and capable players.

Ugh...how I long for a basketball team that plays basketball.  Anyone note the interesting stat from last night's game?  The Warriors assisted on 34 of 38 made buckets (iirc).  In other news, you will never see this stat for any Rockets' game as long as Harden is here.  (Or as long as we continue to insist this is the best way to run our offense).

#8 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 June 2019 - 04:04 PM

The two trades here are somewhat intriguing. 

The Clint scenario doesn't work IMO because of James and Tristan's common Kardashian past. I like the idea of trading back into the draft and getting a top five pick in return but I don't see how the locker room functions with those two together. 

The CP3 scenario would also be something I would probably pull the trigger on. This creates the space we need to put another YOUNG star alongside Harden. We are leaving peak Harden era and needs the offensive help more than ever. 

I have heard that the Heat will be making a run at CP and PJ on July 1st as well.

This upcoming season will probably be a step backward before (hopefully) taking another step forward in the following one. 

#9 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,156 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 June 2019 - 02:14 PM

I truly have no idea what we are looking at.  Anything seems plausible.  (FYI, your link is going to some weird re-draft article).

I was driving and pondering a scenario that involved us sending Paul/Capela to Boston for Kyrie (sign+trade), Ojeleye, and possibly Jaylen Brown too.  For some reason, I think Stevens would LOVE having a floor general like CP3 to work with.  Plus, that's a nice haul for them considering Irving was about to walk.  Basically, they're getting HOF PG Chris Paul plus an elite rim defender + pick n roll partner for the price of two 3&D guys.

Houston needs to tread lightly.  There has been lots of rhetoric about Tucker and his role here.  To trade him now would mean nothing that comes from the Houston front office has any meaning.  

#10 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 17 June 2019 - 12:37 PM

I truly have no idea what we are looking at.  Anything seems plausible.  (FYI, your link is going to some weird re-draft article).

I was driving and pondering a scenario that involved us sending Paul/Capela to Boston for Kyrie (sign+trade), Ojeleye, and possibly Jaylen Brown too.  For some reason, I think Stevens would LOVE having a floor general like CP3 to work with.  Plus, that's a nice haul for them considering Irving was about to walk.  Basically, they're getting HOF PG Chris Paul plus an elite rim defender + pick n roll partner for the price of two 3&D guys.

Houston needs to tread lightly.  There has been lots of rhetoric about Tucker and his role here.  To trade him now would mean nothing that comes from the Houston front office has any meaning.  

Sorry, corrected link here

With KD and Klay out for basically the entire season next year, I am wondering why we don't run it back one more time with a bit better bench depth. The Lakers seem to now be the team to beat and I feel good against Frank Vogel and co. 

#11 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,156 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:36 PM

Sorry, corrected link here

With KD and Klay out for basically the entire season next year, I am wondering why we don't run it back one more time with a bit better bench depth. The Lakers seem to now be the team to beat and I feel good against Frank Vogel and co. 

Our window is certainly getting smaller.  The chance of tearing down and rebuilding before James enters "past his prime" is pretty much off the table.  That's a large part of why I like the Kyrie trade.  Our offense, despite paying an offensive savant $5M/yr., seems to be get out of the way and let Harden create (Oh, what a job to have!)  If that's the plan then a player like Kyrie side-by-side with James would be nearly unstoppable.  Defensively...well, this could be an issue.  As long as the shots are falling we would be tough to beat.

I don't care much for the Cleveland deal.  Tristan Thompson doesn't seem like a match for our team.  The Chicago deal isn't the worst I've seen, but I'm higher than most on Dunn (I probably shouldn't be).  I'm also dubious about a 26 yr. old center who couldn't get minutes on a garbage team like Chicago.  The main thing to like is the #7 pick, but when the dust settles this feels like a major step back unless we somehow nab a Donovan Mitchell/Dennis Smith Jr. with that pick.

Regarding the Lakers...we'll see who they can get in FA.  So far, we're looking at LeBron, Davis, and Kuzma.  Granted, that's a real nice start.  However, we watched them cobble together a ridiculous roster last year...who knows?  Maybe they do it again? (I doubt it).

#12 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,156 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 June 2019 - 02:48 PM

What do y'all think about this Jimmy Butler business?  I'll give Morey one thing--he's consistent.  He's out there chasing stars.

So, the question is at what cost?  It seems certain Gordon + Capela are gone in this scenario.  It's not like they're trash.  I would think Philly insists on Tucker in this deal---which I believe to be a deal breaker.  So let's look at the real cost--time and opportunity to recruit a player that could actually help us improve.

Now, we all know I love me some Khris Middleton...so we can skip that since a sign+trade scenario is the only route and I doubt he is leaving Milwaukee.  There are other players that are interesting.  Bojan Bogdanovic is one such player.  As much as we need stout defenders, we also need a lights out shooter and he is ideal.  Other players I think we should be looking at are Marcus Morris, Thad Young, Rudy Gay, Seth Curry, and Dewayne Dedmon...to name a few.  I also like the idea of retaining Rivers and Faried.

For a team that wants to bomb you out of the gym with three pointers we really have failed at acquiring ELITE three point shooters.  Last year, only House and Tucker shot significantly above average.  The good news is just about everyone else shot for average, but that means we are mediocre at playing the style of game Morey spear-headed into existence.  Yeesh...how depressing must that be?

If we surround James with elite shooting teams are going to be hard pressed to keep up.  Considering we held the 2nd best offensive rating last season, how big of a leap does that take moving from, say, 36% 3 pt. shooting up closer to 39%?  That's easy.We took 45.5 3pt'ers per game last season.  If we assume a slight up tick (as has happened consistently for a while now) we can round up to an easy 50.  Quick math translates that to 1.5 extra 3's made per game which is 4.5 points.  That is a lot.

How many extra games would we win scoring an extra 4.5 ppg?  The answer is +8 with an additional 4 OT guys that we can probably safely split down the middle for a total of +10 wins.  In addition, that most likely wins us the GSW series, but that's a little trickier to work out.

Still, we go from 53-29 to 63-19.  What's really scary is that 39% is a conservative number because those guys are killers from the corners and, along with Tucker, we could very well shoot at a 40%+ mark.  Now we're talking.

Alas, we're going to chase Jimmy just so he can leverage our star-lust into a max contract from someone else.  We're left standing at the altar (again).  

#13 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 26 June 2019 - 04:06 PM

What do y'all think about this Jimmy Butler business?  I'll give Morey one thing--he's consistent.  He's out there chasing stars.

So, the question is at what cost?  It seems certain Gordon + Capela are gone in this scenario.  It's not like they're trash.  I would think Philly insists on Tucker in this deal---which I believe to be a deal breaker.  So let's look at the real cost--time and opportunity to recruit a player that could actually help us improve.

Now, we all know I love me some Khris Middleton...so we can skip that since a sign+trade scenario is the only route and I doubt he is leaving Milwaukee.  There are other players that are interesting.  Bojan Bogdanovic is one such player.  As much as we need stout defenders, we also need a lights out shooter and he is ideal.  Other players I think we should be looking at are Marcus Morris, Thad Young, Rudy Gay, Seth Curry, and Dewayne Dedmon...to name a few.  I also like the idea of retaining Rivers and Faried.

For a team that wants to bomb you out of the gym with three pointers we really have failed at acquiring ELITE three point shooters.  Last year, only House and Tucker shot significantly above average.  The good news is just about everyone else shot for average, but that means we are mediocre at playing the style of game Morey spear-headed into existence.  Yeesh...how depressing must that be?

If we surround James with elite shooting teams are going to be hard pressed to keep up.  Considering we held the 2nd best offensive rating last season, how big of a leap does that take moving from, say, 36% 3 pt. shooting up closer to 39%?  That's easy.We took 45.5 3pt'ers per game last season.  If we assume a slight up tick (as has happened consistently for a while now) we can round up to an easy 50.  Quick math translates that to 1.5 extra 3's made per game which is 4.5 points.  That is a lot.

How many extra games would we win scoring an extra 4.5 ppg?  The answer is +8 with an additional 4 OT guys that we can probably safely split down the middle for a total of +10 wins.  In addition, that most likely wins us the GSW series, but that's a little trickier to work out.

Still, we go from 53-29 to 63-19.  What's really scary is that 39% is a conservative number because those guys are killers from the corners and, along with Tucker, we could very well shoot at a 40%+ mark.  Now we're talking.

Alas, we're going to chase Jimmy just so he can leverage our star-lust into a max contract from someone else.  We're left standing at the altar (again).  

Ive been on the Jimmy Buckets train for a while. I'd love to have him but after seeing what happened with our developing players after trading them to LA for CP3, I am very hesitant to become so top heavy. I am all for adding some talent around Harden, but it seems as though we could get almost equal value chasing some better than average supporting cast as you have mentioned. I would love to see us add a Brook Lopez and a few other middle tier players like Danny Green. Shump, Nene and Gerald Green should not be on our roster next season. I would like to retain Faried (under the assumption that we would actually play him) and Rivers (I cant believe I'm actually saying these words) if possible. 

I have a feeling we will strike out this summer, but will be ready for the ring chasers to come calling later on in the season. 

#14 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,156 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:42 PM

Ive been on the Jimmy Buckets train for a while. I'd love to have him but after seeing what happened with our developing players after trading them to LA for CP3, I am very hesitant to become so top heavy. I am all for adding some talent around Harden, but it seems as though we could get almost equal value chasing some better than average supporting cast as you have mentioned. I would love to see us add a Brook Lopez and a few other middle tier players like Danny Green. Shump, Nene and Gerald Green should not be on our roster next season. I would like to retain Faried (under the assumption that we would actually play him) and Rivers (I cant believe I'm actually saying these words) if possible. 

I have a feeling we will strike out this summer, but will be ready for the ring chasers to come calling later on in the season. 

Agreed.  Bro-Lo would be a great add, but he's going to get paid by somebody this Summer.

I think we will see Indiana be active this Summer.  They've got cap room and a solid team.  I'd like to see them go after Tobias Harris.  Collison, Dipo, Bogdanovic (assuming they keep him), Harris, with Sabonis/Turner at the 5 is pretty solid.  Heck, maybe make a run at Beverley to upgrade the defense at PG.

#15 redfaithful

redfaithful

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 29 June 2019 - 12:34 PM

Well, we just saw a 1-megastar team with 6+ VERY good players and clear hierarchy win the championship, beating other teams with more star power but not enough supporting cast. I guess it's more a belief than something that can be measured, but I would argue that players 5-8 on the roster are crucial to winning a championship, and bringing Butler over will eliminate any chance of having good enough players to fill those spots.

So no, I'm not on the Butler wagon at all, I prefer the middle-tier improvement outlined here by Slick.

#16 redfaithful

redfaithful

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 02 July 2019 - 02:22 PM

Butler in Miami, House and Rivers coming back.

Now bring back Faried to continue where we stopped last year, get more contributions from the home-grown young players and lurk for a good trade towards the deadline...

#17 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 02 July 2019 - 04:03 PM

Butler in Miami, House and Rivers coming back.

Now bring back Faried to continue where we stopped last year, get more contributions from the home-grown young players and lurk for a good trade towards the deadline...

I'd be willing to give Boogie a shot at the vet min. 

#18 redfaithful

redfaithful

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 02 July 2019 - 08:59 PM

I'd be willing to give Boogie a shot at the vet min. 

Is he humble enough? It's an important criterion for whoever joins this Rockets team. For me that's what made Rivers and Faried significant contributors last year.

#19 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 02 July 2019 - 09:11 PM

Is he humble enough? It's an important criterion for whoever joins this Rockets team. For me that's what made Rivers and Faried significant contributors last year.

After the summer/year he had, I would hope so. No one is calling at this point from what I gather. 

#20 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,156 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 July 2019 - 06:14 PM

This Boogie thing is curious.  I can only assume he's demanding a high salary/long-term deal (or both).  Considering Morey's "star lust", there has to be something wrong with him; otherwise, Morey would have moved mountains to bring him on board.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users