Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  thejohnnygold : (27 February 2017 - 05:43 AM) I don't think this is all or nothing. We've still got some defensive issues to deal with, but this team can give anyone a run for their money.
@  slick shoes : (26 February 2017 - 11:38 PM) i just hope to legitimately compete for the title. winning is only a bonus.
@  rocketrick : (26 February 2017 - 06:19 PM) All the moaning and groaning will suddenly appear should the Rockets fail to win the Title this season. It is What It Is........
@  thejohnnygold : (26 February 2017 - 03:25 PM) Anybody else watching the new and improved Rockets? Looking good so far...
@  slick shoes : (23 February 2017 - 09:17 PM) PG was reported to be dealt today by the deadline, but wouldn't commit to sign long term with ANY team other than the... Lakers?
@  slick shoes : (23 February 2017 - 09:10 PM) Tyler Ennis to the Lakers. Looks to be a good working relationship between Magic and Morey.
@  slick shoes : (23 February 2017 - 09:03 PM) I'll pass on Bogut all day long. I agree with, JG. Let's bring up Onuaku before we start bringing in new guys/salaries.
@  rocketrick : (23 February 2017 - 08:05 PM) Opens up Cap Space for someone like Bogut or Sanders or another big that may be bought out later this week by their team..........
@  slick shoes : (23 February 2017 - 08:02 PM) I hope that KJ can get some playing time with the Nets.
@  thejohnnygold : (10 February 2017 - 02:54 PM) I'll take him!
@  slick shoes : (10 February 2017 - 12:48 PM) Little too late in the season for him to save me, I think.
@  thejohnnygold : (09 February 2017 - 11:22 PM) Yeah...but I think you might enjoy what's about to happen with Giannis ;)
@  slick shoes : (09 February 2017 - 09:10 PM) What a shame about J Parker. Dude was really starting to shine.
@  thejohnnygold : (26 January 2017 - 10:46 PM) No, but I saw Isaiah Thomas tell P-Bev, "You can't hold me!"
@  slick shoes : (26 January 2017 - 06:58 PM) Could anyone read James' lips last night while he was torching Dekker? I saw a few "pay attention!" 's, but couldn't make out the rest.
@  redfaithful : (02 January 2017 - 04:04 PM) Very good article about Harden, Westbrook and turnovers: http://www.fanragspo...rnover-problem/
@  slick shoes : (02 January 2017 - 02:20 PM) So now Dmo will play on a one year vet min deal with the Pels. Wonder what coud've changed his mind about his deal requirements.... <_<
@  thejohnnygold : (31 December 2016 - 12:01 AM) I imagine Brewer has been "dangling" ever since he signed that last contract. I saw some rumor that Kosta Koufos is at the top of our list for trade targets right now. Those are words I never wanted to hear :lol:
@  majik19 : (30 December 2016 - 08:46 PM) found this hilarious: Zach Lowe of ESPN reports that Houston has been "dangling" Corey Brewer in trade talks, who could provide Sacramento with another wing player in case it loses out on Rudy Gay at some point. But he also noted that Brewer's name hasn't drawn much traction.
@  slick shoes : (28 December 2016 - 07:47 PM) DMo working out for the Lakers per ESPN. I wouldn't hate it, but don't see him there long term for some reason.

Photo

Preseason Impressions

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 06 October 2016 - 12:11 PM

Feels like we need a thread to talk about what we've seen from the preseason games so far, so here goes!

I'm generally feeling optimistic about the team this season from the first two games. There are so many little things that I've seen that just weren't there last year, and a couple of things I wasn't expecting to go so well that left me thinking we might be in for a great year.

Transition: Can you remember the last time you saw the Rockets make a long forward pass to kick off a transition opportunity? It feels like they didn't try it at all last year, but in these two games we've seen multiple instances of Harden trying to get the ball up the court in a hurry with a pass and it has nearly always paid dividends. Now, part of that is that in preseason the opposition might not be as willing (or able, in the case of the Sharks) to get back on defence quickly and in a well coordinated fashion. But you can still force this sort of opportunity in the regular season - it's one of the things the Warriors do very well. I'm glad to see us trying to get out and run a bit more, especially with someone like Corey Brewer on the roster.

Defensive Rebounding: This was the area I was most concerned about coming into this year. We were bottom of the league in DRB% last year, and if Dwight hadn't been there it would have been even worse. If there was one thing I was afraid could be our Achilles heel, it was going to be this. But actually, we seem to be doing pretty well on the boards - over 80% of defensive rebounds in both games! (For reference, the Rockets were at 72.8% DRB% last year - best in the league was Charlotte with 79.8% and league average was about 76%). Worth keeping an eye out as the season goes on. If we can even get to league average here it should go some way to bolstering the possible drop in defensive efficiency without Howard in the middle.

Running more Pick and Rolls: It's nice to see Harden getting back to playing pick-and-roll basketball. I remember when he was with the Thunder we played them one year and were up by 5-10 going down the stretch. They closed out the game with Harden playing point and just running pick-and-roll after pick-and-roll - he cut us to pieces and they won. I'm hoping we can see more of that this year! At times Harden seems a bit predictable (if he's running it with Nene you can bet he'll throw a bounce-pass), but I'd imagine he'll figure out the right levels of usage for each option as time goes on.

Spot up Stretch 4s rule!: The 3 point shooting battle Anderson and Porzingis had in the third quarter of the Knicks game was very entertaining! But it's not the only example of this - it's how Madrid managed to get back into the game on their way to beating the Thunder earlier in the week. I'd imagine someone will come up with a defensive innovation that will make this slightly less of a threat eventually, but for the time being the fashion for icing the pick-and-roll is making this a pretty deadly weapon. Hopefully Anderson will be doing plenty more of this when the regular season starts.

A few other things I noticed:

• Capela got spooked by Porzingis' length against the Knicks. After getting stuffed right at the beginning of the game, you could see him trying to change his footwork and release to avoid being blocked and it did not lead to good results. Most teams aren't going to have a 7'3" shotblocker with long arms to give him so much trouble, but he does seem to play better when he's not over-thinking it. Hopefully he'll manage to get into the zone more often as the season progresses.
  • I was not all that impressed by KJ McDaniels' defence against the Sharks. He was on Fredette a lot of the time and Jimmer seemed to be able to get by him pretty often. If he wants to be a 3-and-D wing, he needs to be able to hold his own against this calibre of opposition, because he's going to see much better over the coming months.
  • At one point against the Knicks, the Rockets had a lineup of Harden/Gordon/Brewer/Ariza/Nene on the court. It feels like there's potential there to do a bunch of switching, since 1-4 are all about the same size. I don't think they were doing it in this game, but maybe they'll have a look at doing it later in the year?
  • GPII and Wiltjer seem to be the standouts of the players on the fringe competing for a roster spot. I'd like to get a look at them outside of garbage time to see how they would fare against real NBA competition - Wiltjer in particular, because with him if he is capable of playing defence at a passable level, his shooting is quite a big difference maker. Hopefully D'Antoni will give them some burn out in China.
  • Why is Bobby Brown on the team? It's not that he's bad or anything, it just seems to me that they would be better served getting a few more minutes to look at Ennis/GPII running the point.

ST

#2 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,776 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 06 October 2016 - 04:30 PM

I'm getting more and more optimistic, but the jury is still out.  I've only been able to watch highlights and recaps of the first two games so I haven't been able to see much--particularly our defense.

We shot nearly 50% on 3's against the Knicks.  That can cover a multitude of sins.  Outside of our DRB% and McDaniels, has anyone observed anything of note about our defense thus far?  I know it's pre-season, but I would really like to get the bitter taste of last season out of my mouth.  Knowing the guys are going to put in the effort on the defensive end will make me a happy camper (and should make us legitimate contenders--at least for the WCF's).

There is a clip from the GSW-LAC pre-season game.

https://cdn-e1.strea...2c2ecf3fb2fe8c2

GS is prioritizing defense.  Look at the effort (pre-season!), the cohesion, and the pride they take in stopping one possession.  I want to see our guys play like that...is that asking too much?  ;)

#3 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 October 2016 - 04:42 PM

I'm getting more and more optimistic, but the jury is still out.  I've only been able to watch highlights and recaps of the first two games so I haven't been able to see much--particularly our defense.

We shot nearly 50% on 3's against the Knicks.  That can cover a multitude of sins.  Outside of our DRB% and McDaniels, has anyone observed anything of note about our defense thus far?  I know it's pre-season, but I would really like to get the bitter taste of last season out of my mouth.  Knowing the guys are going to put in the effort on the defensive end will make me a happy camper (and should make us legitimate contenders--at least for the WCF's).

GS is prioritizing defense.  Look at the effort (pre-season!), the cohesion, and the pride they take in stopping one possession.  I want to see our guys play like that...is that asking too much?  ;)

Even their defensive weak link Steph Curry got in on the action. I will say that the GSW are probably the most motivated team at this point having come off that 3-1 collapse against CLE which probably contributes to their preseason efforts. 

when you win two games in a row that's called a winning streak.

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#4 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 03:13 AM

Just 2 games so far and one was vs an amateur team. Rockets look like they have been practicing 2 weeks more
    than everyone else. I watched the Clippers game vs the Warriors....Clips looked flat. DeAndre looked slow and
    out of shape. Clips missed everything, including open shots. Rockets didn't score until about 8 mins into the Sharks
    game but still scored a ton.....so that was promising.

*Main rotation of KJ,Ryno,Ariza,Harden,Gordon,Brewer,Dekker,Wiltjer,Beverley has shot 44.6% from 3-point line.

*I believe Ariza can get close to his 40.5% from 3 while with Wiz. 28% vs Sharks/NY. So 46.6% from 3 minus Ariza.

*Rockets averaging 42 3-pt attempts per both games. Felt Roxx wanted to shoot 30-40/gm. GSW's (2 gms) 32.5 3PA's.
    According to Ian Begley, Hornacek claims they respected 3 point shooters too much. That they should have played
    help defense sooner. This is the dilemma every team will have.....do you guard the 3 point shooter close and Harden
    goes for 50 Pts or send defenders sooner and the 3 point shooters kill them. For the record I didn't see the Knicks
    players over playing the perimeter shooters. There was always an open shooter. You can't leave NBA players
    open like that.....they probably all shoot 50% or better from three in shoot-a-rounds. Brewers 80% will come
    down Ariza will come up........I expect it to level out to about 40% in the regular season. Warriors use their good
    3 point shooting to put pressure on opposing teams. They get a 10 point lead in the 1st & 2nd quarters & teams
    panic and try to match them. That's where teams fall further behind as they try to catch up quick but get out of their
    norm. Rockets will have that same stress effect on many teams.

*Obvious Brewer has worked with shooting coach. Feet/Shlds square w/rim, elbows in, good follow-thru, good arch,
    splash!! I respect people that work to improve.....I became disenfranchised with Brewer last year. He is earning a spot.

*Capela looks lost. His FT's are still too poor. Too many guaranteed contracts.....I expect a Rudy Gay or Noel or some trade
    b4 season. Flow shld continue with Pels.....but then teams will be better prepared. At the moment (2 gms) Roxx: 1st in asts, 3rd in rebounds, 1st in points, 4th in FT%.

Edited by Jatman20, 07 October 2016 - 03:19 AM.

#5 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,299 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 07 October 2016 - 06:43 PM

first and foremost I can't get overly excited because the 2 teams we have faced are subpar at best. the Sharks are probably equal to just above a good high school team and NY while boosting a superior level of talent to the Sharks aren't going to scare many NBA teams. we looked good offensively. I must admit we seem to be able to get the shots we desired with ease, however in the NY game the Knicks seem to be able to get whatever shot they wanted as well difference being we were able to hit our open shots while NY was not. neither of these teams will scare anyone defensively so I don't feel as though we have really been tested offensively. as Sir Thursday made mention of.....this is preseason and most teams won't be ramping up effort until closer to the season. with that in mind we are about where I expected.

@JG

I know many aren't paying much attention to defensive schemes at this point, but I have been watching to see how effective our schemes look. I have not yet been impressed. as I stated earlier we have not faced a good offensive team and the one NBA team we did face in facing NY was able to get open looks it seemed at will just unable to execute them. that wasn't encouraging. I know it's early so I will withhold judgement at this point.

@Sir Thursday

I agree with you in this regard...........I assumed defensive rebounding  a natural problem based on personnel and was pleasantly surprised to see us holding our own. granted neither of these two teams are rebounding juggernauts, however so far so good.

My new years resolution.....drink that special bottle of wine, take your son on that fishing trip, live each day as if it were my last because everyday of LIFE is special B)

#6 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
    • 1,593 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:47 PM

Great point on those outlet passes.  That was something that immediately jumped out to me as well.

#7 HardenOwnsCurry

HardenOwnsCurry

• Members
      • Pip
      • 5 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:01 PM

who cares what the warriors are doing, last i checked it was the cavs who won the championship. And Harden in first preseason PER at 38.1 

#8 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,776 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 October 2016 - 02:48 PM

who cares what the warriors are doing, last i checked it was the cavs who won the championship. And Harden in first preseason PER at 38.1 

Welcome to the boards.

What the Warriors are doing definitely matters.  I imagine the board room at Microsoft 20 years ago sounded a lot like that too.  "Who cares what Apple is doing?!?  Last I checked, we have Gates and Ballmer!"

Really, it's what the Spurs have been doing the last 17 years, but that's not the point.  The point is simply that I want us to play better defense and watching a team full of all-stars and MVP's go all out in a meaningless pre-season game says a lot to me about the way they play.

Also, I wouldn't dismiss the Warriors so quickly for losing to the Cavs.  It's not like they got blown off the court.  They just ran into this guy...

giphy.gif

#9 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 464 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 06:59 PM

Enough with the Spurs already. Who had the better seedings in the West in 14-15 and went to the Western Conference
          finals in 14-15? Spurs were lesser in both. Fact of the matter is Popovich had Duncan (Mr reliable) to fall back on whenever
          he needed a basket for over the last two decades. Duncan isn't there anymore. We will see if Gasol can pick up
          the slack and lead. LMA is too inconsistent and inefficient (they relied on Aldridge to carry them last year). Spurs got
          out of their scheme in the process.

Edited by Jatman20, 09 October 2016 - 07:00 PM.

#10 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 464 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 07:18 PM

Sorry about that! I live in Corpus Christi and the Spurs are broadcasted in my region. They are the most boring team.
            Prior to last years playoffs I was listening to a TV program analyzing the playoff matchups. The entire cast joked that
            the NBA and TV executives were crossing their fingers that Toronto and the Spurs would not be the finals matchup.
            Americans probably wouldn't back a Canadian team and the Spurs are too boring. It would be a TV ratings nightmare.

#11 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 464 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 10:30 PM

Posting this after first Pels game in China.
              *No defense by both teams in first half. More of an offensive exhibition for
              the crowd in China as both teams were on pace for close 140 Pts at halftime ....each.

*A quick look at the score box....I counted 37 3PA's for game (Roxx). 43%....To me the shooting background
              may have been an issue. Unfamiliarity for both teams during game play. I may be wrong on that.

*More contesting shots in the second half by both teams. Capela looked like he had more of an understanding of his role.

*Gordon took more of a shooters role on this game. Harden shld look him more often.

*4 Starters (Gordon/no Beverley) with Harrell. No Anthony Davis at end game; but Roxx continued with mix of offense & D.
              I saw Ryno on Asik and sometimes Harrell on Asik.

Edited by Jatman20, 09 October 2016 - 10:40 PM.

#12 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
              • 4,776 posts
              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 October 2016 - 03:23 PM

Sorry about that! I live in Corpus Christi and the Spurs are broadcasted in my region. They are the most boring team.
              Prior to last years playoffs I was listening to a TV program analyzing the playoff matchups. The entire cast joked that
              the NBA and TV executives were crossing their fingers that Toronto and the Spurs would not be the finals matchup.
              Americans probably wouldn't back a Canadian team and the Spurs are too boring. It would be a TV ratings nightmare.

No big deal.  I too live in a Spurs market.  I'm not a Spurs fan-boy by any means and I am not implying we should just try and copy them.  I am saying they should be observed and studied.  I will also say the results are less important than the process--and the results are impressive.

I think when people say the Spurs are boring they mean Tim Duncan.  The NBA sells stars--not team-oriented, high-quality basketball.  Duncan never really obliged them in that regard.  The last truly marketable "star" San Antonio had was probably Rodman (unless you count the Admiral).  Again, this speaks to their culture.  Look at the guys they brought in recently: Aldridge and Gasol...more boring stars (plus they stole Dewayne Dedmon).  Part of whatever it is they are doing down there is to eschew certain players (and their egos)--even if they are stars.

Meanwhile, Morey is over here like a young pup in a dog park sniffing every butt that goes by and chasing every alpha dog he can without being able to catch much of anything.  He has over-hauled the team 3 times in the past 4 years and we are on our 4th coach in 7 years.  Think about that.

I like Morey, but it has become evident that his eye for talent and ability to win trades does not correlate with his ability to cultivate a team.

Speaking of our team, I was mostly unimpressed with our win over the Pels.  Gentry is still insisting on making Davis a stretch 4 (a huge mistake in my book) and they were without their starting backcourt.  Our defense was lousy and Harden's 15 assists were offset by 8 turnovers.  The shooting looks good, but we can't rely on shooting over 40% from deep every night to win games.  At some point, we have to be able to get stops aside from just hoping the other team misses an open jumper.

Maybe there was some instruction from the league office to "put on a good show" in order to help promote the game overseas.  That would explain some things on the defensive side.  it doesn't ease my mind regarding the turnovers--especially if the part about the defense is true.

On a positive note, Nene looks like a really nice pick up for us.  Even after he has his mid-season break-down (and he will), I think he will be able to give us quality minutes as a reserve down the stretch and into the playoffs.

#13 Willk

Willk

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPipPip
              • 520 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:12 PM

No big deal. I too live in a Spurs market. I'm not a Spurs fan-boy by any means and I am not implying we should just try and copy them. I am saying they should be observed and studied. I will also say the results are less important than the process--and the results are impressive.

I think when people say the Spurs are boring they mean Tim Duncan. The NBA sells stars--not team-oriented, high-quality basketball. Duncan never really obliged them in that regard. The last truly marketable "star" San Antonio had was probably Rodman (unless you count the Admiral). Again, this speaks to their culture. Look at the guys they brought in recently: Aldridge and Gasol...more boring stars (plus they stole Dewayne Dedmon). Part of whatever it is they are doing down there is to eschew certain players (and their egos)--even if they are stars.

Meanwhile, Morey is over here like a young pup in a dog park sniffing every butt that goes by and chasing every alpha dog he can without being able to catch much of anything. He has over-hauled the team 3 times in the past 4 years and we are on our 4th coach in 7 years. Think about that.

I like Morey, but it has become evident that his eye for talent and ability to win trades does not correlate with his ability to cultivate a team.

Speaking of our team, I was mostly unimpressed with our win over the Pels. Gentry is still insisting on making Davis a stretch 4 (a huge mistake in my book) and they were without their starting backcourt. Our defense was lousy and Harden's 15 assists were offset by 8 turnovers. The shooting looks good, but we can't rely on shooting over 40% from deep every night to win games. At some point, we have to be able to get stops aside from just hoping the other team misses an open jumper.

Maybe there was some instruction from the league office to "put on a good show" in order to help promote the game overseas. That would explain some things on the defensive side. it doesn't ease my mind regarding the turnovers--especially if the part about the defense is true.

On a positive note, Nene looks like a really nice pick up for us. Even after he has his mid-season break-down (and he will), I think he will be able to give us quality minutes as a reserve down the stretch and into the playoffs.

JG - I do not think 16 TOs is that bad for a game. The team is getting better at limiting their TOs especially at the pace they play. I know you just want to harp on all harden's negatives because you do not like him, but look at the bigger picture. Like D'antoni said on the vertical, he cares about the total number of turnovers by the team not 1 player.

#14 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 4,299 posts
                • Locationhouston

Posted 11 October 2016 - 02:12 AM

@Willk

problem with that is Harden has the ball far more than any other player on the team. him cutting his turnovers alone will improve the turnover rate for the team dramatically.

My new years resolution.....drink that special bottle of wine, take your son on that fishing trip, live each day as if it were my last because everyday of LIFE is special B)

#15 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 464 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 02:23 AM

True Duncan can be boring, I liked his fundamental game. He is the turtle in the Tortoise and the Hare story. Last
                  year LMA joined the Spurs. LMA had a hard time conforming to the Spurs style.....Leonard was suppose to carry the
                  the torch; but wasn't ready. After the Rockets beat the Spurs on Christmas Day they/Pop's allowed Aldridge to carry
                  the team with his Portland style of ISO/post ups. The players complimented accordingly. And the team won over 60+
                  games. That's my take on the Spurs last year. I could be wrong; but they won last year not strictly playing the Spurs
                  way. Now they are hoping Leonard can step up a year later and that Danny Greens eye surgeries pay off. Anyway
                  back to the Rockets.

Edited by Jatman20, 11 October 2016 - 02:24 AM.

#16 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 464 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 02:48 AM

I believe you are hitting on a pertinent point Wilk. Assist to TO ratio is equated to assists ➗TO's.
                    If Harden can average 12 assists per game. I'm ok with 5 or less TO's.

12 assists (x 82 games) = 984 assists
                    4 TO's ......(x 82 games)= 328 TO's

12 assists (x 82 games)= 984 assists
                    5 TO's.......(x 82 games)=410 TO's

Edited by Jatman20, 11 October 2016 - 02:52 AM.

#17 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 464 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 03:11 AM

According to 82games.com Harden had 42 charges last year/season. I'm watching Harden closely on charge calls.
                      In watching a Suns game/Nash, it would drive me crazy when you saw the defender come over & set up early for a
                      charge and Nash (with his good body control) would allow his body momentum to carry himself into a charge. Harden
                      being bigger than Nash will need to give it up quicker. I was forever yelling at the TV.....give it up, give it up, give it up.
                      Too late Nash!!!

Edited by Jatman20, 11 October 2016 - 03:12 AM.

#18 Willk

Willk

Advanced Member

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPip
                      • 520 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:13 AM

@Willk
                        problem with that is Harden has the ball far more than any other player on the team. him cutting his turnovers alone will improve the turnover rate for the team dramatically.

Like I said, the team turnovers are more important than the individual players TOs. Without Howard and Lin, the team's TOs are going to be significantly less so Harden can be more aggressive.

#19 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                        • 4,776 posts
                        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 October 2016 - 05:21 PM

Yes, I harp on Harden, but I don't think I am unfair in my criticism.  It's not like I'm some blowhard hater who just likes to go around and say, "So-and-so sucks!!!" without giving reason or having watched them play.

I've watched the vast majority of Harden's games since he joined the Rockets (as have most of us I presume).  We've seen him go back and forth in that time as he has tried to figure out what it takes to be the kind of player who will lead his team to the promised land.  He has been a consistent offensive threat in that time--that is not up for debate.

What is up for debate is his effort, his focus, his leadership, and his ability to play the PG role effectively.

Now, when I harp on his turnovers it is not without awareness.  I know that he accrues 1-2 charges per game as a result of being aggressive in driving to the rim.  However, we cannot presume that other PG's aren't also drawing a charging call or two per game as well--we watch the games and know that they do.

An assist to turnover ratio of 2:1 is not good.  I would equate that to a "C" if we were grading him.  He needs to get to a 3:1 ratio to please me--plain and simple.  I would hold any point guard to that standard.

Thus, when I point out his 8 turnovers in relation to 15 assists ( a 1.9:1 ratio) in a game where the defense was suspect and he was playing against backups I don't think I'm just blasting him because I don't like him.  I think I am pointing out a legitimate problem that I have been pointing at for a long, long time.

As I have repeatedly said, I'm rooting for the guy.  What other choice do I have?  :lol:   I want him to figure it out.  I want him to lead our team by example.  I want him to D up.  I don't think one can dismiss my criticism simply because it is known I don't like his character.

I do agree that overall team turnovers are what matters in the end, but, as RBF noted, that still largely falls on James due to his high usage and his improvement in that area would mean overall team improvement.

I also think that Antoni's quick-paced scheme will help eliminate one of Harden's biggest flaws from the past couple years--his tendency to dribble out the clock and either force a contested shot of his own or one for his teammates.  That was infuriating and I am looking forward to a season without a bunch of that.

#20 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 464 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 12:26 AM

@JG: it's hard for me/us the viewers of these posts to figure out if criticism is just or a result of Harden not co-existing with say Lin or Dwight or Lawson. I will take you at your word that it is strictly a basketball vantage point (which is still
                          a fine line because it may still relate to play on the court while with Lin/Dwight/Lawson) and you are rooting for Harden/Rockets to succeed. Yes, not all stats are created equal. Even within the stat it can be deceptive. Harden
                          had more assists/game than Parker, Conley, Curry, Dragic, Lowry & other PG's that have been in training to be point guards since they were in junior high/high school. Some of these point guards have attended many basketball
                          camps for point guard skills during their life time. Why does Harden have more assists? I can tell you that Conley, Parker, Beverley and others bring the ball up the court and dump it into the paint or to and number one
                          option and therefore get less assist opportunities as that individual may dribble around before attacking the rim.
                          Assist to TO ratio may also be distorted (Conley to Gasol/Z-Bo) and get out of the way a fair amount of time.
                          Less chance of turning the ball over.

Rockets are going to be a high octane team this season & chances are the TO's will be there as they will press the ball up the court
                          with many long out-let passes which will get intercepted. Many of us complained of 16 TO's a game last year; but this year may be
                          more accepted due to easier points in the form of fast break points and high volume 3PA's/3Pmade.

Rockets are doing ok. It's mainly about learning the system, getting their spacing (learning where each player likes to shoot the ball),
                          talking defensively, looking at how guys pair with others, players playing another position, getting endurance up.

Pels and Knicks hurt us by attacking us at a defensive weakness, PF (Ryno); but Ryno countered with 20+ points vs Davis & Porzingis.
                          Rockets have not had a PF that could match productivity of the opposing PF in many years until now. He can easily shoot ten 3's a
                          game and make them at a good clip. Gordon and Harden was taken advantage of by Etwan Moore. Beverley was not available
                          and D'Antoni has decided not to play Payton II , Bobby Brown and Taylor. No doubt the Rockets will see more
                          complicated defense when the regular season starts.

Edited by Jatman20, 12 October 2016 - 12:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users