Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  thejohnnygold : (27 February 2017 - 05:43 AM) I don't think this is all or nothing. We've still got some defensive issues to deal with, but this team can give anyone a run for their money.
@  slick shoes : (26 February 2017 - 11:38 PM) i just hope to legitimately compete for the title. winning is only a bonus.
@  rocketrick : (26 February 2017 - 06:19 PM) All the moaning and groaning will suddenly appear should the Rockets fail to win the Title this season. It is What It Is........
@  thejohnnygold : (26 February 2017 - 03:25 PM) Anybody else watching the new and improved Rockets? Looking good so far...
@  slick shoes : (23 February 2017 - 09:17 PM) PG was reported to be dealt today by the deadline, but wouldn't commit to sign long term with ANY team other than the... Lakers?
@  slick shoes : (23 February 2017 - 09:10 PM) Tyler Ennis to the Lakers. Looks to be a good working relationship between Magic and Morey.
@  slick shoes : (23 February 2017 - 09:03 PM) I'll pass on Bogut all day long. I agree with, JG. Let's bring up Onuaku before we start bringing in new guys/salaries.
@  rocketrick : (23 February 2017 - 08:05 PM) Opens up Cap Space for someone like Bogut or Sanders or another big that may be bought out later this week by their team..........
@  slick shoes : (23 February 2017 - 08:02 PM) I hope that KJ can get some playing time with the Nets.
@  thejohnnygold : (10 February 2017 - 02:54 PM) I'll take him!
@  slick shoes : (10 February 2017 - 12:48 PM) Little too late in the season for him to save me, I think.
@  thejohnnygold : (09 February 2017 - 11:22 PM) Yeah...but I think you might enjoy what's about to happen with Giannis ;)
@  slick shoes : (09 February 2017 - 09:10 PM) What a shame about J Parker. Dude was really starting to shine.
@  thejohnnygold : (26 January 2017 - 10:46 PM) No, but I saw Isaiah Thomas tell P-Bev, "You can't hold me!"
@  slick shoes : (26 January 2017 - 06:58 PM) Could anyone read James' lips last night while he was torching Dekker? I saw a few "pay attention!" 's, but couldn't make out the rest.
@  redfaithful : (02 January 2017 - 04:04 PM) Very good article about Harden, Westbrook and turnovers: http://www.fanragspo...rnover-problem/
@  slick shoes : (02 January 2017 - 02:20 PM) So now Dmo will play on a one year vet min deal with the Pels. Wonder what coud've changed his mind about his deal requirements.... <_<
@  thejohnnygold : (31 December 2016 - 12:01 AM) I imagine Brewer has been "dangling" ever since he signed that last contract. I saw some rumor that Kosta Koufos is at the top of our list for trade targets right now. Those are words I never wanted to hear :lol:
@  majik19 : (30 December 2016 - 08:46 PM) found this hilarious: Zach Lowe of ESPN reports that Houston has been "dangling" Corey Brewer in trade talks, who could provide Sacramento with another wing player in case it loses out on Rudy Gay at some point. But he also noted that Brewer's name hasn't drawn much traction.
@  slick shoes : (28 December 2016 - 07:47 PM) DMo working out for the Lakers per ESPN. I wouldn't hate it, but don't see him there long term for some reason.

Photo

Huq: "Can James Harden Win the MVP This Season?"

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,776 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:28 PM

Rahat's latest: LINK

Teaser:

That brings us to Harden, who, despite producing at historic levels in 2016, couldn’t even make his way onto an All-NBA team.  Remember when the Rockets were lovable?  Does Dwight Howard leaving remove the stench of negativity that had been surrounding this team?  Many of you seem to think so, but I’m wondering if people hate Harden for Harden, or if people just hate anything associated with Dwight Howard.  Because people definitely hate Dwight Howard.

:lol:

I mostly agree with Rahat's take here; although, I do think a couple of players will enter MVP discussions including Paul George, Kawhi Leonard, Kyrie Irving, and who knows...what if Melo leads the Knicks to 55 wins???  Does Antetokounmpo make a leap and propel Milwaukee to the #2 seed while averaging a triple double?

Bottom line is a lot of people don't like Harden whereas all those other guys are pretty well liked by the people who matter--the voters.

#2 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:38 PM

The problem with this award is that it is rarely, if ever, given to the most VALUABLE player. The league's "favorite" player on the best team or best player in the league often take the award home, but are not necessarily the most valuable. When I start to assess an MVP, i wonder how the team would look without said player. How many wins does the team get by simply having the guy on the floor? I honestly believe that James is one of, if not the most valuable member of any team in the NBA, but as long as sports reporters are voting for the award and not the players themselves it will be a popularity contest. If James can lead us to 55+ wins/a 3 or 4 seed, he might just get some nods. 

Edited by slick shoes, 24 August 2016 - 10:40 PM.

when you win two games in a row that's called a winning streak.

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#3 majik19

majik19

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 01:56 AM

I think James has a legitimate shot - he basically has the same team as the Pelicans last year, and they were terrible, even with a supposed MVP candidate on board. (Another parallel - Gentry plays D'Antoni's system). So if we're actually a top 4 seed, then yeah, he's got a definite shot, but he needs to be at least not a negative on the defensive end. 

One guy you didn't mention, and normally, I would not either, but what about Kyrie Irving? He was the best player on the floor in Game 6 last year - and that's saying something when you're sharing the floor with Lebron, Curry, Thompson, and Green. I expect Lebron to coast again, so why not Irving? He has the same defensive issues as Harden (but he's not picked on as badly). 

I think Westbrook will go gangbusters, but he might just end up wearing himself out over an 82 game system. He will probably have a historic October and slump off after the New Year (but maybe not - he's a freak in a league full of them).

Other Dark Horses - what if Wiggins or Towns makes the leap? Jimmy Butler is a deeeeeep sleeper, given whose around him. What if Al Horford leads Boston to a #1 seed (do I think he can win? no way, but maybe in Brad Stevens' system and if the Cavs sleepwalk through the season). Damian Lillard? Chandler Parsons (jk!) 

#4 Willk

Willk

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 520 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 04:11 AM

I think James will be in the hunt. It feels like the media is already talking up Westbrook and LeBron James. I think many media members make up their mind who is the MVP before the season and look for reasons throughout the season to justify their pick. If Harden is not on the short list of a writer's potential picks, there is very little chance he will be at the top of their list at the end of their season.
      Harden will have to lead the Rockets to a top 2 seed to even have a chance.

#5 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,776 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:01 PM

I think James has a legitimate shot - he basically has the same team as the Pelicans last year, and they were terrible, even with a supposed MVP candidate on board. (Another parallel - Gentry plays D'Antoni's system). So if we're actually a top 4 seed, then yeah, he's got a definite shot, but he needs to be at least not a negative on the defensive end. 

One guy you didn't mention, and normally, I would not either, but what about Kyrie Irving? He was the best player on the floor in Game 6 last year - and that's saying something when you're sharing the floor with Lebron, Curry, Thompson, and Green. I expect Lebron to coast again, so why not Irving? He has the same defensive issues as Harden (but he's not picked on as badly). 

I think Westbrook will go gangbusters, but he might just end up wearing himself out over an 82 game system. He will probably have a historic October and slump off after the New Year (but maybe not - he's a freak in a league full of them).

Other Dark Horses - what if Wiggins or Towns makes the leap? Jimmy Butler is a deeeeeep sleeper, given whose around him. What if Al Horford leads Boston to a #1 seed (do I think he can win? no way, but maybe in Brad Stevens' system and if the Cavs sleepwalk through the season). Damian Lillard? Chandler Parsons (jk!) 

I 100% agree on Irving (and have him on my short list).  I think he is breaking out this year.

Here's the thing about the MVP--at least to me.  It doesn't matter much.  It's an individual accolade in a team sport.  You know what would be better?  A trophy for best "team play".  Not the team with the most wins.  Not the last team standing.  The team that best exemplified what it is to be selfless--to play as a single unit.  The players that best embody the sport.  And not an afterthought--make it a big deal--make it matter.

The MVP trophy might as well be a sack of balloons with the winner's face on them and a helium tank so that he can inflate his ego any time he wants--figuratively and literally.  I mean, does anyone care how it feels to the other guys on the team?  Basically, they are being told that without so-and-so they are trash.  Heck, that is the leading argument coming from Rockets' fans.  True or not, it's kind of a jerk thing to do.

I'd rather see more sportsmanship awards.  Coaches spend all year trying to mold a team and the good values that come with that from our youth--and then the NBA spotlights not one, but two MVP's during the playoffs.  Message: individuals get the glory.  If I were a youth basketball coach I'd be pissed.

Sorry for the soapbox rant.  There is no denying Harden gets snubbed.  Yet, I feel no pity for him.  If he left his heart on the floor every night the people would love him.  Whether or not he does--nobody will ever know.  He's Rod Tidwell.  (yes, that's a Jerry Maguire reference)  He needs a Rod Tidwell moment (or two) to shift the paradigm.

the-all-hollywood-football-team-L-5tggvT67125064.jpg

Maybe I'd feel different if it was a different player.  There is no denying Harden is not my favorite guy these days--not even close.  That's the thing--my kind of guy wouldn't care one bit about any of that stuff.  He'd be angry and embarrassed about last season and not worried about any ALL-NBA teams, trophies, or other stuff like that.

#6 majik19

majik19

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 484 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 02:32 AM

last year the Celtics would've won your "best team award.'
        Year before, the Hawks.

I can't remember before that ;) 

#7 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 4,299 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 26 August 2016 - 04:08 PM

last year the Celtics would've won your "best team award.'
        Year before, the Hawks.

I can't remember before that ;)

I would have to disagree................the Spurs would win this award every year

My new years resolution.....drink that special bottle of wine, take your son on that fishing trip, live each day as if it were my last because everyday of LIFE is special B)

#8 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,776 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 August 2016 - 05:36 PM

I would have to disagree................the Spurs would win this award every year

Probably true....gotta give Golden State some credit too.  Kerr has them moving the ball really, really well.

#9 HardenOwnsCurry

HardenOwnsCurry

• Members
        • Pip
        • 5 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:00 PM

Rahat's latest: LINK

Teaser:

:lol:

I mostly agree with Rahat's take here; although, I do think a couple of players will enter MVP discussions including Paul George, Kawhi Leonard, Kyrie Irving, and who knows...what if Melo leads the Knicks to 55 wins???  Does Antetokounmpo make a leap and propel Milwaukee to the #2 seed while averaging a triple double?

Bottom line is a lot of people don't like Harden whereas all those other guys are pretty well liked by the people who matter--the voters.

paul george, carmelo hahaha, kyrie, and kawhi are inferior players to james harden

#10 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
          • 1,593 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 04:10 PM

Harden looks to be in MVP form so far.

#11 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 464 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 05:31 PM

Yes, I see the NBA pre-season much like the NFL pre-season. Many teams playing vanilla defense as a means to
              having video of their guys guarding players one-on-one. It looks like we don't have to wait for December for this
              team to gel. Harden looks comfortable at the moment. I will let Harden have 5 TO's if he gets about 12 assists.
              In time I think he can have a decent Assist-TO ratio. Teams will adjust to our style when the season begins;
              We/Harden will have to adjust accordingly.

Edited by Jatman20, 09 October 2016 - 05:33 PM.

#12 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 4,299 posts
              • Locationhouston

Posted 11 October 2016 - 02:26 AM

while counting Harden out of the MVP race would be foolish, there are other stars in front of him who are more appealing to the masses because he is not perceived as a complete player. he has to have an over the top performance offensively to offset the negative attention his defensive shortcomings will garner. he is capable of such a feat, but the competition will be stiff

My new years resolution.....drink that special bottle of wine, take your son on that fishing trip, live each day as if it were my last because everyday of LIFE is special B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users