Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  ale11 : (22 April 2016 - 08:36 PM) I know everyone is already asking for KJ....but I have to say: I wish JBB tried putting KJ on Livingston, I'm sure he wouldn't get bullied in the post like Pat is. Depending on matchups, I'd like Harden to guard him as well. There would be no risks of gifting any 3's
@  txtdo1411 : (22 April 2016 - 07:09 PM) Finally JB sat Brewer. I wish we would stop playing Terry as well. Missed multiple wide open 3s, and was getting abused defensively. I'd much rather see KJ come in as a back up guard than Terry.
@  DenverRocket : (22 April 2016 - 04:35 AM) Ariza is having a tough time, but I reckon he will come back big in the next game - he just can't keep missing open threes.
@  Mario Peña : (22 April 2016 - 04:31 AM) Yes...
@  majik19 : (22 April 2016 - 04:28 AM) but pretty amazing we did pull that off. As Rahat said, without Curry we are at best as good as GS.
@  majik19 : (22 April 2016 - 04:27 AM) did anyone else notice that MICHAEL BEASLEY was defending green on that last play? lucky... also that inbound at the end Ariza almost gave it to them! at least throw it at our basket, not theirs!
@  majik19 : (22 April 2016 - 04:15 AM) everything on the line and ariza blows a layup. surprise surprise. Ariza should never, ever dribble.
@  slick shoes : (21 April 2016 - 10:46 PM) It's rumored that JVG has had his eye on our coaching role for a bit. I just hope that if he IS our guy, then he ends up being the guy we've all wanted. I would be curious as to how Harden responds to JVG.
@  DenverRocket : (21 April 2016 - 10:36 PM) Being reported that he's agreed to 5yrs for $35m with the Wizards. Looks like JVG could be our man.
@  slick shoes : (21 April 2016 - 12:12 PM) Let everyone chase Scott Brooks. I don't want him and thinking he'll lure in KD does not make sense to me.
@  majik19 : (20 April 2016 - 08:13 PM) Looks like the Wizards have the same idea many of us do: ESPN sources say Washington is actively intensifying its Scotty Brooks pursuit in hopes of sealing a Brooks deal before Houston's job opens.
@  majik19 : (20 April 2016 - 05:40 PM) at 10 million per year - wow. Reports are JVG and Scott Brooks are top candidates for us now.
@  slick shoes : (20 April 2016 - 05:34 PM) Well Thibbs is out.
@  DenverRocket : (19 April 2016 - 10:39 PM) Yep, but even he couldn't handle Rondo last year. The way Dwight played, last night, reminded me of Rondo for the MAvs in the first round last year. Maybe we should feck him off for the final two games?
@  thenit : (19 April 2016 - 07:46 PM) look at Carlyle what a good coach and players with no ego and effort can do. AFter getting killed he made adjustments and they won a game despite clearly being less talented than OKC
@  thenit : (19 April 2016 - 07:45 PM) DMO also started off well, then after about 5.30 min into the game he sits him and brings him back with about 5.30 left in the 2nd Q all cold and no rhytm. Brings capela in for 2.45 min ? Whats the point ? U either play him more or don't play him at all.
@  thenit : (19 April 2016 - 07:44 PM) JBB is terrible he still hasnt a set rotation or starting lineup uses 10 players in 1Q and one of them played the whole Q. So 9 players saw the floor on the other 4 positions.
@  thejohnnygold : (19 April 2016 - 02:34 PM) The TNT crew didn't hold back. It didn't bother me because it's all true. In fact, this team is so bad it broke the fan forum that supports it.
@  Mario Peña : (19 April 2016 - 05:22 AM) It's been tough.
@  majik19 : (19 April 2016 - 05:10 AM) gosh i hate watching this team. just can't do it.

Photo

Game 2 Thoughts

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 20 April 2016 - 11:19 AM

I watched Game 2 last night, had a few thoughts:

• It's dispiriting not to even get close in a game like this. If you can't beat the Warriors without Curry, I don't think there's any chance if and when he does get back in the game.
  • Motiejunas started the game, which I like (definitely better than Brewer!). But there were some issues on the defensive end. The Rockets were trying to switch everything, but in particular Motiejunas and Ariza were very quick to switch their assignments on Green and Thompson. This caused problems because Motiejunas just isn't used to having to work his way round screens. The Warriors would induce the switch, then have Bogut set a pick for Thompson. Motiejunas just can't get through Bogut's picks, so Thompson gets free for open looks. I think it's fine to have D-Mo out there, but he needs to be less willing to switch onto Thompson - if they can keep him on Green he's more likely to be able to keep up.
  • There were several points in the game where Bickerstaff tried a dual-PG look with Beverley and Terry on the floor. That's all well and good, but when the Warriors are playing Livingston at PG they are running out lineups where everyone is 6'6" or taller. There's just no way to hide two shorter defenders against that group. And it's even worse when they take Livingston out and just make Draymond Green the point guard as they did late in the game.
  • Ariza played really poorly tonight. Sometimes he just doesn't seem to be able to hold onto the ball in what should be straightforward situations for an NBA-level player. There was one particularly egregious one where Harden fired him a pass (admittedly, pretty fast) and he just dropped it. Then there was that airballed three early on. The team really needs him to be firing on all cylinders - they've got to be knocking down their three pointers when they do manage to pull off a drive-and-kick.
  • Terry and Smith were making their threes tonight - I'm not sure this is something the team can really rely on going forward. On the flipside, Iguodala couldn't miss for the Warriors so maybe that evens out.
  • Maybe the Rockets should trying hacking Bogut and Ezeli a bit more? They tried it a couple of times in Game 2 with mixed success, but if they end up in the bonus early it's the sort of thing that might help change the pace of a game that's getting away from them.
  • A few times Bickerstaff was playing Beasley at Centre. I'm kind of torn - on the one hand, he's really not a good enough defender to anchor the defense, but on the other hand they need some way of counter-acting the Death-Lineup and he can really take advantage of the extra space that comes from not having a proper big on the floor. Maybe it'll be OK for spot minutes, but it's not something I'd really want to rely on going forwards...

ST

#2 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,432 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:55 PM

Yeah, the Rockets' switching scheme is a terrible mess.  It looks like the coaches just said, "OK guys, we're going to switch everything.  However, we're not going to practice this, discuss situational exceptions, game-plan, or communicate on the floor."

What we're left with is easily set up mis-matches (as you pointed out) and lots of bewildered looks and finger-pointing on other plays.  Also, to no one's surprise they are attacking Harden early and often.  Any coach worth their salt would.

I think one of the other things I am sorely disappointed in is the number of times each game our guys simply fumble the ball away.  FOCUS PEOPLE!!!  It's the NBA playoffs.  Where is your mind?   

#3 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 20 April 2016 - 10:32 PM

Harden gave up a couple of particularly bad blow-bys when isolated against Green and Barnes in the post. I was amazed that he then turned to his teammates asking where the help was. You can't expect anyone to have time to rotate over if you let them have a pretty much straight line drive to the basket. That annoyed me quite a bit.

As you say, the players are obviously trying to sort out their switching defense on the fly, which doesn't speak particularly well of the preparation afforded to them by the coaching staff.

I do think the Rockets should get a boost from not playing in Oracle. The home court advantage seemed to leap through the screen and not having 100 decibels of negative reinforcement whenever the other team score can only be a good thing. Not sure it's going to be enough to steal a game though :(.

ST

#4 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:04 AM

One thing that I noticed was that DMo started off well on offence and they went through him. He then sits after almost 6min which I can't understand and it's even more bizarre that he sits until about 5min left in 2nd Q so he is all cold and didn't play well after that.

Another weird rotation I mentioned in the chat is that he plays Capela for less than 3 min and then he gets taken out? Why would you put him in there, he has no chance of getting into a rhythm and also he might as well given those minutes to other rotation players.

JBBs rotation is terrible and it keeps changing and players are getting random minutes and they also don't know when they will get to play. It kills the flow and rhythm for all of them. The inconsistency after several months at the job is beyond my understanding. If he praises DMo for moving the ball etc before the game as the reason to start then why the low min in first half ?

#5 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,432 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 April 2016 - 04:16 PM

Harden gave up a couple of particularly bad blow-bys when isolated against Green and Barnes in the post. I was amazed that he then turned to his teammates asking where the help was. You can't expect anyone to have time to rotate over if you let them have a pretty much straight line drive to the basket. That annoyed me quite a bit.

As you say, the players are obviously trying to sort out their switching defense on the fly, which doesn't speak particularly well of the preparation afforded to them by the coaching staff.

I do think the Rockets should get a boost from not playing in Oracle. The home court advantage seemed to leap through the screen and not having 100 decibels of negative reinforcement whenever the other team score can only be a good thing. Not sure it's going to be enough to steal a game though :(.

ST

You mean these blow-bys?   :lol:  Bonus: we get to watch him let Klay score the easy lay-up.

Barnes/Klay and Green

#6 slick shoes

slick shoes

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 529 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 21 April 2016 - 05:11 PM

You mean these blow-bys?   :lol:  Bonus: we get to watch him let Klay score the easy lay-up.

Barnes/Klay and Green

Olé!

when you win two games in a row that's called a winning streak.

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#7 majik19

majik19

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 429 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:45 PM

Barnes/Klay and Green

When I watched these live, I was embarrassed for him. Especially the Green blow-by. He's not that quick!

But yeah, on the Barnes one, he looked like like he expected help but Barnes was like 8 feet from the basket and went right by Harden. Can't rotate fast enough for that!

I think the "switch everything" approach was fairly decent, except that our communication was bad, so we frequently ended up with 2 guys on 1. 

The sad part about game 2 is we had some positive variance going our way - Harden got fouled on the 3 point at least 3 times, and Smith was even hitting his 3s. And even with that, the Curry-less Warriors basically ran us off the court. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users