Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (30 March 2016 - 03:00 AM) solid comeback
@  slick shoes : (30 March 2016 - 02:45 AM) If Bill was broadcasting the game, I believe he would classify Ariza's three as "cold blooded". Just a hunch.
@  thejohnnygold : (26 March 2016 - 05:15 PM) Almost all modern sports media outlets must pander to the masses, and people enjoy vilifying Harden. It would bother me if they were wrong, but they aren't.
@  majik19 : (26 March 2016 - 05:08 PM) fitting that Harden gets a triple-double, yet no credit in the news. Westbrook, Lebron, Curry, or even Antekoumpo get a triple-double, it's headline news. Harden only gets headlines for bad defense and selfishness this year.
@  slick shoes : (24 March 2016 - 02:54 AM) we don't deserve a playoff spot. this is an awful basketball team.
@  majik19 : (24 March 2016 - 02:43 AM) major loss for playoffs...
@  majik19 : (23 March 2016 - 02:44 AM) fitting that they lost on a dumb turnover.
@  thenit : (20 March 2016 - 02:40 PM) Its time someone in the team got into Harden's face. I don't even care what the reason was or if Jet was at fault, just good that someone is willing to do it
@  slick shoes : (20 March 2016 - 12:04 AM) did anyone just see James and JET get in to it? they had to be separated by Brewer.
@  thenit : (17 March 2016 - 09:25 PM) I don't know, Feigen tweeted that they had another meeting, and that Dmo said that we had 6 or 6 of those according to feigen. Basically said its no time to talk because nothing changes and walk the walk
@  slick shoes : (17 March 2016 - 09:19 PM) Who is calling these meetings? Does anyone even show up at this point?
@  thenit : (17 March 2016 - 08:48 PM) Its laughable, they had another players only meeting. I think its like the 10th one. Still no change. Its so stupid, like Dmo said whats the point of talking if we don't play hard.
@  slick shoes : (17 March 2016 - 02:54 AM) are you surprised? this is the same team that we've seen all season. so much talk from the locker room about improvement and change. the grizz win was a fluke.
@  Cooper : (17 March 2016 - 02:52 AM) on pace to give up 144 at half, pathetic effort.
@  RocketMan : (15 March 2016 - 11:34 PM) Per the references, yes.
@  slick shoes : (15 March 2016 - 12:51 PM) Is Terrence Jones even on the team any more?
@  majik19 : (12 March 2016 - 06:15 AM) didn't watch the whole game, but we actually looked solid on both ends. the defense was rotating appropriately. i can hardly believe it.
@  DenverRocket : (11 March 2016 - 08:51 PM) Great interview with DM: http://espn.go.com/e...lay?id=14951528
@  majik19 : (10 March 2016 - 02:20 AM) pathetic how close this game is...
@  thejohnnygold : (06 March 2016 - 12:48 AM) Those are some sweet socks. Have fun!

Photo

Houston Rockets 118, Oklahoma City Thunder 110: Let the young guys play

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 11:22 PM

New post: Houston Rockets 118, Oklahoma City Thunder 110: Let the young guys play
    By: Paul McGuire

The Houston Rockets have won 38 games. And there have not been many of those wins where I switched off my TV happy with what I saw.

Today was different. In the best Houston Rockets victory since they shut down the San Antonio Spurs on Christmas, the Rockets just plain fought against the Oklahoma City Thunder. They really attacked the Thunder on defense, rebounded the ball, and came out with all the hustle and grit which we have missed from this team all season. And they stayed with the Thunder for most of the game before finally just locking their opponents down with a new lineup not seen all season.

If there's anything to feel sad about after this game, it is that it took Coach Bickerstaff this long to finally play K.J. McDaniels over Corey Brewer.

It did not happen at first. Brewer was the main backup guard for the first half, and well, played like Brewer has all season. He bricked open corner 3's, and while he was able to break out during fast break opportunities, Brewer just cannot do anything in a half-court set.

So Bickerstaff began using McDaniels in the second half, and it paid off. For such a young player, McDaniels surprised me with his defensive prowess. He did not have any highlight steals or blocks, but what he did have was sound defensive fundamentals and knowing where to go. The Rockets beat the Thunder down the stretch with a Beverley-Harden-Ariza-McDaniels-Capela lineup. While Ariza naturally had the job of guarding Durant, and forced him into two terrible three-point shots without needing a double team, McDaniels just hedged when Westbrook had the ball and brought a whole bunch of energy, chasing the loose man on the rotation or the ball.

Oh, and McDaniels had this layup, too. That was nice.

But as great as McDaniels was, that was not even the biggest example of young Rockets trumping old Rockets tonight. Dwight Howard has always stunk against the Thunder. Steven Adams has always frustrated him, and Dwight even took it out on Adams with a dumb foul early in the fourth where he shoved Adams to the ground ( and yes, Howard did actually shove him, though perhaps Adams embellished it a bit).

But that worked out just fine, because Capela was a lot better than Howard tonight. Howard tried to score in the post, only not to get a single point and finishing with 4 points on 2-6 shooting. Capela was content to play the roll man, and it worked. And on defense, it was the Clint Capela block party. Capela totally shut down the paint when he was in, and forced the Thunder into a jump-shooting team. And with McDaniels and Ariza patrolling the perimeter, even that option became limited.

McDaniels and Capela brought a much-needed dose of energy and athleticism to this team. That is crucial because the Rockets just do not have any athletes, whether it is the older Howard, Ariza, Beverley, or Motiejunas. Even Harden is fairly unathletic by superstar standards. He is very strong ( which is why that fourth quarter smallball lineup worked, as he could guard Adams just fine) and wily, but he is not a leaper like Westbrook or even the aging LeBron.

That lack of energy has made the Rockets look slow all season long, as they do not have the speed to make up for their constant missed defensive rotations. And tonight's energy cannot be solely attributed to those two. Even in the first half, the Rockets hustled hard and stayed in the game despite dismal shooting by grabbing all the offensive rebounds they could. There was one possession where Houston got seven shots before Howard finally dunked the ball home.

Maybe that energy was desperation of the playoffs slipping away, maybe it was the two young guns, maybe it was other factors as well. But it was there. Ben Dubose noted that Coach Bickerstaff talked about how right after Harden made a huge steal with 30 seconds left, he immediately noticed that Beverley had streaked down the court and launched the touchdown pass to him for a dunk that sealed the game.

The Rockets earlier this season may have been content for Harden to just dribble the ball and take a shot. But while there was certainly plenty of that down the stretch, the Rockets moved on defense and grabbed offensive rebounds. And that movement sealed this terrific win.

Now the Houston Rockets have five games left. The last four are against Phoenix, Minnesota, the Lakers, and the Kings. A cream puff schedule if they do their job and beat the teams they are supposed to.

But Wednesday's game against Dallas is the big one. If the Rockets win against Dallas, they're all but guaranteed to be playing in three weeks, and Dallas probably will not.

#2 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 322 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 12:15 AM

Good to see Goudelock play some as well. He needs to be ready to shoot the 3 on catch and shoots better. These teams will close on you fast. It looked like he wanted to dribble and survey the situation. He needs every minute....no every second he can during these final games if he is to help in any playoff action. When he got into the paint he tried too many bounce passes near the rim. When that deep he will need more lobs or wrap around passes to get the ball to a teammate. Goudelock can be useful.....time permitting.

#3 bboley24

bboley24

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 418 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 12:30 AM

This was Capela's best game of his career.  Screw stats.  He made plays where and when they needed to be made and was there in the crunch time.

#4 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 322 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 01:47 AM

Some noted game info:
          Houston .............................................................. OKC
          41/102 (40.2%) .......... Field Goals ............. 38/82 (41.3%)
          13/42 (31.0 %) ........... 3 Pointers ............... 7/27 (25.9%)
          23/26 ................................ FT's ................. 27/32
          9 ...................................... TO's .................. 19

I liked the uptempo of 102 FGA's and (35+) 3 attempts. Only way the Rockets can upset the Warriors or Spurs or OKC in the playoffs.

Edited by Jatman20, 04 April 2016 - 01:51 AM.

#5 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 322 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 02:03 AM

That's 46.3% for OKC FG%

#6 majik19

majik19

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 414 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 03:30 PM

Just don't get this team. 

Take out the super juggernauts (Spurs and Warriors) and we're 11-11 against the top 5 teams in each conference. I guess that matches up with our overall record pretty well, but that also tells me we're 26-22 against every other non-juggernaut. That is where our record should truly be better. 

(For completion's sake, record against SA and GS: 1-6)

Compare to last year. Top 5 teams in each conference (top 6 in the West since we finished 2nd). Take out Golden State and San Antonio (I know SA wasn't a super team last year, but stay with me)... and we finished... 11-11. So that means we finished 44-8 against everyone else. 

(Again for completion's sake, record against SA and GS: 1-7... hmm also similar). 

So my point is - are we really that much worse than last year? From a record standpoint, it looks obvious, but our record against top teams is almost exactly the same. Now, we finished with a +3.4 margin last year, and we're sitting at -0.7 this year, but you would expect that with so many more losses. Our defense has pretty clearly regressed, but our offense is actually scoring at a higher clip this year (I know that's hard for everyone to believe, but 106 ppg vs. 103.9 last year). 

We are hitting FGs at a 44.8% rate and 3s at a 34.4% rate... versus 44.4% and 34.8% last year... Bet you wouldn't have guessed that?

The eye test tells everyone we are clearly worse this year. It was also pretty clear last year that the West was stronger than it is this year (but the East is clearly better than it was last year as well, which kind of counterbalances). 

Again - I just don't get this team. 

#7 slick shoes

slick shoes

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPipPip
              • 515 posts
              • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 April 2016 - 04:30 PM

Take out the super juggernauts (Spurs and Warriors) and we're 11-11 against the top 5 teams in each conference. I guess that matches up with our overall record pretty well, but that also tells me we're 26-22 against every other non-juggernaut. That is where our record should truly be better. 

Compare to last year. Top 5 teams in each conference (top 6 in the West since we finished 2nd). Take out Golden State and San Antonio (I know SA wasn't a super team last year, but stay with me)... and we finished... 11-11. So that means we finished 44-8 against everyone else. 

(Again for completion's sake, record against SA and GS: 1-7... hmm also similar). 

So my point is - are we really that much worse than last year? From a record standpoint, it looks obvious, but our record against top teams is almost exactly the same. Now, we finished with a +3.4 margin last year, and we're sitting at -0.7 this year, but you would expect that with so many more losses. Our defense has pretty clearly regressed, but our offense is actually scoring at a higher clip this year (I know that's hard for everyone to believe, but 106 ppg vs. 103.9 last year). 

We are hitting FGs at a 44.8% rate and 3s at a 34.4% rate... versus 44.4% and 34.8% last year... Bet you wouldn't have guessed that?

The eye test tells everyone we are clearly worse this year. It was also pretty clear last year that the West was stronger than it is this year (but the East is clearly better than it was last year as well, which kind of counterbalances). 

I don't think offense has ever been in question. Defense, effort, and heart on the other hand.....

when you win two games in a row that's called a winning streak.

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#8 isaacjunk

isaacjunk

• Members
              • Pip
              • 20 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 08:25 PM

Simplest explanation: motivation issue, esp. on D...trickling down from Harden

#9 majik19

majik19

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 414 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 12:15 AM

Simplest explanation: motivation issue, esp. on D...trickling down from Harden

So that's my point - will the effort be there in the playoffs? Of course, the difference is we'll likely be playing the Warriors, but it seems we can beat the Thunder and maybe the Clippers.

Would it be worth making the playoffs if the Rockets could make it to the 2nd round? 

#10 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                  • 4,409 posts
                  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:02 PM

So that's my point - will the effort be there in the playoffs? Of course, the difference is we'll likely be playing the Warriors, but it seems we can beat the Thunder and maybe the Clippers.

Would it be worth making the playoffs if the Rockets could make it to the 2nd round? 

Yes, because it would mean knocking out the Warriors  B)  (...or the Spurs)

I agree mostly with the others that the issues have been effort, focus, defense, synergy, or whatever else that isn't Harden putting the ball in the hole.

I have spent a lot of time stumping for an improved offensive scheme.  I don't see why we can't continue to focus on the core philosophy (3/paint/ft) while also adding some motion and nuance to help generate more open looks, better passing lanes, and keep everyone engaged so they feel like part of the team on offense.  In my opinion, that will lead to an uptick in fg%, a decrease in turnovers, improved effort on both ends of the floor, and opposing teams might have to scout more than one of our players.

I know the adage, "if it ain't broken....", but this isn't a screen door.  It's a hot rod, and there are always ways to tweak and improve it.

What we saw in the OKC game spot-lighted what we knew all along.  The vets have largely been phoning it in with their effort all season long.  Capela, McDaniels, and Goudelock played with fire and heart.  It won us the game.  It likely would have won us more games if JB had done it sooner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users