Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  thenit : (17 March 2016 - 09:25 PM) I don't know, Feigen tweeted that they had another meeting, and that Dmo said that we had 6 or 6 of those according to feigen. Basically said its no time to talk because nothing changes and walk the walk
@  slick shoes : (17 March 2016 - 09:19 PM) Who is calling these meetings? Does anyone even show up at this point?
@  thenit : (17 March 2016 - 08:48 PM) Its laughable, they had another players only meeting. I think its like the 10th one. Still no change. Its so stupid, like Dmo said whats the point of talking if we don't play hard.
@  slick shoes : (17 March 2016 - 02:54 AM) are you surprised? this is the same team that we've seen all season. so much talk from the locker room about improvement and change. the grizz win was a fluke.
@  Cooper : (17 March 2016 - 02:52 AM) on pace to give up 144 at half, pathetic effort.
@  RocketMan : (15 March 2016 - 11:34 PM) Per the references, yes.
@  slick shoes : (15 March 2016 - 12:51 PM) Is Terrence Jones even on the team any more?
@  majik19 : (12 March 2016 - 06:15 AM) didn't watch the whole game, but we actually looked solid on both ends. the defense was rotating appropriately. i can hardly believe it.
@  DenverRocket : (11 March 2016 - 08:51 PM) Great interview with DM: http://espn.go.com/e...lay?id=14951528
@  majik19 : (10 March 2016 - 02:20 AM) pathetic how close this game is...
@  thejohnnygold : (06 March 2016 - 12:48 AM) Those are some sweet socks. Have fun!
@  bboley24 : (05 March 2016 - 06:38 PM) Im going to the game tonight in Chicago. Ill be in the bright rockets sweater. Wearing my socks as usual. Then off to the Cleveland game in a few weeks as well! My wife is an amazing woman.
@  thejohnnygold : (05 March 2016 - 05:52 PM) Dekker and Harell looking pretty good down in RGV...especially Harell. LINK
@  majik19 : (03 March 2016 - 04:53 PM) the Rockets are so desperate they signed Michael Beasley to a 1+ year contract...
@  thejohnnygold : (03 March 2016 - 01:59 AM) Gotta admit, I like what I'm seeing so far...4 minutes left in 1st half and the entire team looks good...now if we can just get some of these 3's to fall...
@  slick shoes : (02 March 2016 - 09:10 PM) I wonder what happens to his share of the team now?
@  slick shoes : (02 March 2016 - 09:09 PM) "The Oklahoma City Police Department said he was traveling at a high speed and "pretty much drove straight into the wall.""
@  thejohnnygold : (02 March 2016 - 08:57 PM) Sounds more like suicide...
@  slick shoes : (02 March 2016 - 08:14 PM) So the minority owner of the Thunder died in a one car accident one day after being indicted for antitrust.... Coincidence?
@  slick shoes : (01 March 2016 - 10:56 PM) That's the one, JG. Smooth as eggs.

Photo

Houston Rockets 102, Boston Celtics 98: 7th seed

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 08:39 AM

New post: Houston Rockets 102, Boston Celtics 98: 7th seed
    By: Paul McGuire

Since dumping Lawson and benching Josh Smith, the Houston Rockets have actually become something resembling good.

They have won four of their last five, with two of them being solid road wins against some of the best teams in the Eastern Conference. The defense has seriously improved as of late, which has enabled the team to win even though they have seemingly forgotten what a three-pointer is.

And while James Harden dropped in a cool 32, the big story from tonight's game was about Michael Beasley. Beasley went nuts in the second half, seemingly scoring at will and leading Houston's bench while Harden took a rest. He finished with 18 points, and Brad Stevens admitted afterwards that Beasley "crushed us."

And now, a splash of cold water, because a performance like this is going to cause some overreaction. If anything, tonight showed what Beasley's fundamental problem is.

I've watched a lot of Beasley over the years due to going to school in Minnesota while he was there, and Beasley's biggest offensive problem is that he is far too dependent on the long two. Far too often, he will get the ball at the three point line, take one or two dribbles as he gets a bit closer, and then take a long midrange jumper. And all of this was back in a league which was less three-point dominant then compared to today. Zach Lowe noted this same problem about Beasley in his earlier games with the Rockets.

And while he scored 18 points and was far more aggressive around the rim than I'm used to seeing from him, he was still doing the exact same thing with those jumpers. Tonight, they went in. But they will not every night, and Beasley really does not have the athleticism to compensate for that by repeatedly slamming into the rim in the style of Harden or Kyle Lowry.

And for all of that talk of an offensive explosion, Beasley took 19 shots to score 18 points. Now, that is somewhat misleading because Beasley had possessions where he just grabbed the offensive rebound, missed, and repeated that process three or four times until he finally scored. And he was a positive in this game and kept the Rockets humming while Harden rested.

But Rockets fans should not expect to see this happen regularly. At all.

And there were plenty of other good things to take away from the game, especially on the defensive end. The Rockets did struggle in transition. This is especially so since Boston is one of the fastest teams in the league, and Houston compounded this problem with really bad turnovers and passes which resulted in 31 Boston points.

But while the transition defense was problematic, the halfcourt defense was good. Ariza, whose defense has taken a major step back for much of this season, did a good job on Crowder. And while Houston could not hit a three throughout the game, they closed on Boston's three-point shooters and held them to about 25 percent from long range. Some of that was just because the Celtics appeared to be cold tonight, but it worked well enough.

Tonight was not exactly an exciting win, as this game was filled with missed shots galore, some physical play, and not much halfcourt offense from either team. But boring is good. The Rockets pulled off a solid, boring win in the second half after being behind early on thanks to the aforementioned defense and a combination of work from Harden, Beasley, and Dwight Howard. And that is good enough.

The Rockets are now back over .500 again, have passed Dallas to take the 7th seed, and are just half a game behind the Portland Trail Blazers. While most Rockets fans know that this team's likely fate is a short first-round defeat to one of the true Western contenders, I do think this team has a puncher's chance against the Thunder as opposed to the Spurs and Warriors.

Tomorrow's game against the Charlotte Hornets will serve as a continued test of how well this offense can function with a new rotation. And who knows? Maybe Michael Beasley will end up proving me wrong this season.

#2 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 307 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 09:50 PM

Read a preview of tonight's matchup vs the Hornets in which they claim the Hornets have the 5th best defense (per stats) since the AllStar Break and the Rockets are 8th best in that same span of time. A must in the playoffs. I see Beasley with the JSmoove role from last year. He has about 19 games for the coaches to try to teach him about the long 2's. He may be given more of a leash than Smith ever had though.

Groudelock put on a shooting display in practice the other day from what Jonathan Feigen (Rockets beat writer) reported. 21 straight 3 point shots after practice. Hope to see it in a game soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users