Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  thejohnnygold : (31 December 2016 - 12:01 AM) I imagine Brewer has been "dangling" ever since he signed that last contract. I saw some rumor that Kosta Koufos is at the top of our list for trade targets right now. Those are words I never wanted to hear :lol:
@  majik19 : (30 December 2016 - 08:46 PM) found this hilarious: Zach Lowe of ESPN reports that Houston has been "dangling" Corey Brewer in trade talks, who could provide Sacramento with another wing player in case it loses out on Rudy Gay at some point. But he also noted that Brewer's name hasn't drawn much traction.
@  slick shoes : (28 December 2016 - 07:47 PM) DMo working out for the Lakers per ESPN. I wouldn't hate it, but don't see him there long term for some reason.
@  thejohnnygold : (23 December 2016 - 10:07 PM) Per Tom Haberstroh: Pop said he doesn't watch game tape on the opponent this time of year. "Except for the Rockets. Harden is ridiculous." :)
@  DenverRocket : (20 December 2016 - 12:06 AM) Looks like Clint will be out for a while, MRI revealed micro-fracture of the left fib: http://www.lequipe.f...t-capela/761879
@  JY86er : (19 December 2016 - 03:29 PM) Did he fail the Rockets' physical?
@  majik19 : (16 December 2016 - 02:54 AM) you mean UNrestricted Free Agent.
@  DenverRocket : (15 December 2016 - 11:40 PM) WTF, now we've renounced D-Mo and allowed him to become an RFA! https://twitter.com/...540893321687041
@  thejohnnygold : (10 December 2016 - 04:32 PM) I like that :)
@  redfaithful : (10 December 2016 - 12:47 PM) D'Antoni's remark about Beverly's "winning spirit" in numbers: Rockets 10-2 since PB returned
@  DenverRocket : (09 December 2016 - 04:55 PM) Agreement finally reached apparently, 4yrs @ 35m http://www.espn.com/...-four-year-deal
@  DenverRocket : (07 December 2016 - 09:06 PM) Maybe it is salvageable after all? http://www.espn.com/...nce-offer-sheet
@  ale11 : (07 December 2016 - 08:20 PM) ditto, great read :)
@  DenverRocket : (07 December 2016 - 07:02 PM) Great read, thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (07 December 2016 - 04:09 PM) Possibly the best article about Morey and what goes into his process. If the balance between subjective and objective decision-making intrigues you then read this article. LINK
@  thejohnnygold : (06 December 2016 - 11:48 PM) Bad, D-Mo! Bad!
@  slick shoes : (06 December 2016 - 07:01 PM) We are in the power position at this point. He can continue to sit out and not get paid while we continue to play without him and build a team that doesn't include him while controlling any move(s) he wants to make. Not smart.
@  DenverRocket : (06 December 2016 - 06:17 PM) Wow! Motiejunas' agent, B.J. Armstrong: "We have our rights. We're not going to show up. We'll see what happens. We'll see what the Rockets do."
@  DenverRocket : (06 December 2016 - 05:40 PM) Rockets could return Motiejunas to restricted free agent status. Working through what happened.
@  DenverRocket : (06 December 2016 - 05:34 PM) According to Feigen: Donatas Motiejunas was a no show for his physical this morning, source said. Rockets weighing options.

Photo

Ty Lawson: Scoring at the rim

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 02:44 AM

New post: Ty Lawson: Scoring at the rim
    By: Rahat Huq

In trying to find something to write about, I found myself perusing Ty Lawson's stats.  I didn't glean anything of note that wasn't already beaten to death in the weeks following the trade, but I guess in the middle of September, if you're reading this, anything seems novel.  In drawing comparisons, I decided to use James Harden and Pat Beverley as controls because James Harden is really good and thus, an easy point of reference and Pat Beverley is the most skilled player in the league.  Also, Pat Beverley is the incumbent.

To begin, Lawson shot just 34% from 3 on the year, which might come as a surprise to those of you expecting Steve Nash in his prime.  Beverley shot 35.6%, a figure the cumulation of which caused me to dislodge numerous chunks of hair from my scalp, so that's not good.  Beverley also shot about twice as many per game as Lawson, with most being wide the &**$ open, so maybe there's hope.  Ty seems to have fared better from the corners (4-8 in the right corner; 4-8 in the left corner), so maybe that's the solution, but wasn't that the elixir for getting D-Mo and Terrence Jones up to respectable marksmanship?  (It seems like that's always the response regarding any poor shooter.  Stick them in the corner.)  Do we have everyone stand in the corner?

On a serious note, Lawson was 61% in the restricted area compared to 58% for Harden.  Beverley shot just 47% the 107 times he tried inside (compared to 256 and 510 attempts for Lawson and Harden, respectively).

Harden had 853 total drives on the year, shooting 48.5% on those drives, scoring 636 total points off of the drives.  That was the best aggregate output in the entire league.  Lawson was 17th in the league, scoring 370 total points off of his 892 total drives.

Harden drove 10.7 times per game, scoring 8 points per game, with the Rockets scoring 14.3 points per game off of his drives.  Lawson, in comparison, drove 11.9 times per game, scoring 4.9 points per game, with his team scoring 13.9 points per game.  That 13.9 figure is good for 4th in the entire league, 3rd if adjusting for Ish Smith's "what is this doing here?" sample size.  So while Lawson isn't as individually prolific as Harden (who the hell is?) he's attacking just as much, and helping his team.

That's a lot of pressure that will be placed on opponents at the basket.  If you play the Rockets this season, you will need rim protection.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a559/RedNinetyFour/Ty-Lawson%20drive_zpsnt2vib5h.gif

I mean, really.  What Houston Rockets point guard has been able to make that play in traffic since Steve Francis?  However, Houston will have to hope that, at least some of the time, Lawson can be confident in taking that open shot at the three point line, and making it.

#2 Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 221 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 05:58 PM

I think there is good reason to be optimistic about Lawson's three-point shooting.  He shot threes very well at the beginning of his career (over 40 percent, though with limited number of shots), and then once he became more of the focal point of Denver's offense, he shot more three pointers for a far worse percentage.  I'm betting that a lot of those additional three pointers were of the "shot clock is running down, time to jack it" variety.  The stats on NBA Reference.Com provide some support for that assumption.  In his first two years in the league (when he shot the three ball well), 20-25 percent of his three-point shots were from the corners; last year less than 10 percent of his three-point shots were from the corners. It seems reasonable to predict that working with Harden he is going to get a lot of wide-open spot up threes, and that he's going to hit more than 40 percent of those.  And teams will have to be very careful about their run outs since Lawson is so proficient in driving to the rim.

The Rocket offense is going to be very, very difficult to stop.

#3 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,712 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 September 2015 - 06:59 PM

Lawson's scoring is secondary.  This is what to look at: Passing and fg%.

Also, I feel like Lawson will be better at hitting guys "in the numbers" which will also improve fg%.  Far too often, I saw our guys throwing very inaccurate passes to 3 point shooters.

Who knows...Lawson might even be able to hit Dwight with a good post entry pass.   :o  (I'm imagining 99% of you saying, "Noooooooo!!!!  Don't post up Dwight!!!!!   :lol: )

#4 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,299 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 27 September 2015 - 06:27 PM

Lawson's scoring is secondary.  This is what to look at: Passing and fg%.

Also, I feel like Lawson will be better at hitting guys "in the numbers" which will also improve fg%.  Far too often, I saw our guys throwing very inaccurate passes to 3 point shooters.

Who knows...Lawson might even be able to hit Dwight with a good post entry pass.   :o  (I'm imagining 99% of you saying, "Noooooooo!!!!  Don't post up Dwight!!!!!   :lol: )

I agree. Lawson is an effective scorer, but that is secondary. Lawson's fit on this team will be the assumption of the co-facilitator roll. I also agree I saw to many inaccurate passes last year. Lawson's assist location will increase fg% without doubt in my mind and capitalize more on the abilities on our big men. we have not had a player capable of making some of the passes Lawson will make look routine next year with this stable of big men. passing is an art and we just bought in a more capable artist.    

My new years resolution.....drink that special bottle of wine, take your son on that fishing trip, live each day as if it were my last because everyday of LIFE is special B)

#5 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,712 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 September 2015 - 06:54 PM

Article from the Chronicle: LINK

It talks about Lawson, but also the Rockets in general.  I think everyone is excited including McHale, Morey, etc.  They know.

#6 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 478 posts
      • LocationHouston

Posted 28 September 2015 - 04:59 AM

Dwight is a fine post player if he doesn't have to dribble.....Get it to him in the restricted area and all he has to do is dunk. Then its fine. When he tries to back down or spin its nightmarish.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users