Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  redfaithful : (05 September 2015 - 10:48 PM) Llull line from today loss to Serbia: 30MIN 1-10PG, 0-5 3PG, 4-4FT 6AST, 1TO, 4REB, +/- -11
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 01:42 AM) one bullet left in the chamber is diff than fully loaded and ready to go. Still stupid...but not like he was prepared for a shooting spree.
@  jorgeaam : (02 September 2015 - 09:33 PM) http://www.tmz.com/2...t-get-arrested/
@  jorgeaam : (02 September 2015 - 09:33 PM) So according to TMZ (I know, I know) Dwight Howard had an incident last month in which he took a loaded gun into an airport, but he was allowed to give it to a friend to take it back and wasn't arrested.
@  jorgeaam : (31 August 2015 - 10:45 PM) The Los Angeles Rockets, lol
@  redfaithful : (31 August 2015 - 09:51 PM) Seems that Chuck is also on his way to the Clippers.
@  slick shoes : (24 August 2015 - 06:14 PM) ill just leave this here...
@  slick shoes : (24 August 2015 - 06:14 PM) http://www.timeandda...04&font=cursive
@  timetodienow... : (21 August 2015 - 07:20 PM) At least in my opinion.
@  timetodienow... : (21 August 2015 - 07:20 PM) I love having Terry. But the main factor was that New Orleans will NOT compete for a championship this year and the Rockets will.
@  jorgeaam : (21 August 2015 - 03:57 AM) Things that make me like the JET even more
@  jorgeaam : (21 August 2015 - 03:57 AM) Jason Terry said that he turned down a more lucrative deal from New Orleans in order to return to Houston.
@  clydesmoustache : (19 August 2015 - 08:32 AM) A year ago who would have thought I would be so happy to have Jason Terry on my team. Welcome back JET! Hurry up October!
@  cointurtlemoose : (19 August 2015 - 04:45 AM) Terry I love yooouuuuuuuuu
@  jorgeaam : (19 August 2015 - 02:38 AM) Yay Terry is back!
@  majik19 : (15 August 2015 - 09:33 PM) and i thought these shouts were limited to some number of characters!

Photo

I've played the clip of Hakeem's dreamshake from the NBA Africa game over 100 times already

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:43 PM

New post: I've played the clip of Hakeem's dreamshake from the NBA Africa game over 100 times already
    By: Rahat Huq

I can't stop watching this.  When Hakeem moves, birds take flight.  The sun sets brilliantly in the horizon.  A cool summer breeze fills the air.  This is beauty in motion.  Cue other imagery.

Hakeem, man.  I didn't appreciate you as a 10-year-old kid.  I thought those dance moves were normal or just kind of cool.  I didn't realize if you played today, you'd break the internet with a nightly Vine.  And I'm embarrassed that I wanted to trade you for Doug Christie, Kevin Willis, the #5, and #12 when that was on the table.

Two things come to mind watching this clip.  First, I've never found the right word to describe Dream's movements.  'Fluidity' doesn't suffice.  There's a certain rounded, liquid quality to the way he moves on those spins that isn't imitable even by the closest greats in the footwork department in Kobe and Michael Jordan.  I don't know how to expound.

Second, what makes Steph Curry so entertaining, and what makes it unfortunate that Hakeem missed the Internet era, is that both players' styles embody the term 'imagination'.  There have been other greats, even the greatest of the great, but they all were/are improving upon things that are already in our conscious, or putting their personal flavor upon the move itself.  Kobe basically was Jordan, and Jordan himself was just taking things that Dr. J was already doing.  Shaq was just a more powerful version of other big men.  And even Iverson's crossover was just an exaggerated version of something already created.  But Hakeem and Steph Curry did things that people don't think is in the realm of possibility.  It's not that a pullup 3-pointer is inherently more difficult than a Jordan turnaround, but people just don't do it.  How did this become a conversation about Curry?

Hakeem, of course, shared the court for team Africa with Dikembe Mutombo, a pairing that could have been possible, as I tweeted earlier in the week.  Recall that the first iteration of the Barkley trade would have seen Houston send Sam Cassell and Robert Horry to Denver, Mutombo to Phoenix, and Charles to Houston - meaning Houston could have kept Mutombo for themselves, had they desired.  Would opponents have ever scored?

#2 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 166 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:55 PM

But... isn't that not a dream shake?? A neat spin, though.

That said, I'll join in on the Hakeem love. One of my favorite things were those times where it seemed he was basically a shooting guard in a center's body. Like when he'd do a faceup iso on a guy, even from all the way out to the 3 point line, and the poor big man defending him would be completely lost and terrified.

I too, though, did not fully appreciate him as a kid, watching him with my dad. It really wasn't until like 5 years ago that I decided to delve back into Hakeem highlights. And then my world was blown. And then he literally became my favorite player of all time. The dude was transcendent.

#3 majik19

majik19

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 265 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:46 AM

One of my favorite things were those times where it seemed he was basically a shooting guard in a center's body. 

Even that doesn't quite do it justice. No one ever has been able to operate with his back to the basket and show footwork like that before. I struggle with it just being fluid. I think for me, it's just perfect body control. Every step is controlled, his shot is fluid. 

Hakeem needs to work less with Dwight and more with D-mo. 

#4 jz13

jz13

• Members
        • Pip
        • 7 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 11:59 AM

That's not really the dreamshake.  The dreamshake would have included a fake back to his right before spinning for the fade away.  But beautiful to watch nonetheless.  He was fare and away my favorite athlete as a kid...I still have my 1994 Olajuwon jersey.

#5 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 4,117 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 August 2015 - 02:56 PM

I'm glad to see that there are still some people who know the proper "Dreamshake".  It was his I-need-a-bucket-right-now-go-to move.  Left baseline, 10 feet out, fake left, turn rightt, falling out of bounds, unstoppable jumper that swished nearly every time.  That's the Dreamshake.   Everything else is just the cat playing with it's food.

I spent hours and hours practicing that shot as a teenager.

#6 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 336 posts
          • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 August 2015 - 04:31 PM

That's not really the dreamshake.  The dreamshake would have included a fake back to his right before spinning for the fade away.  But beautiful to watch nonetheless.  He was fare and away my favorite athlete as a kid...I still have my 1994 Olajuwon jersey.

THANK YOU!!!! The announcers for the game (Doris Burke and some other guy) went on and on about the "Dream Shake" and I sat there thinking, "That was a nice move, but that was no Dream Shake." He had his way with his defender (in an exhibition game) and it was great to watch, but as JG stated above, I practiced the shake in my driveway endlessly and that was not it.

https://youtu.be/SxDopaqTxiY

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#7 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 4,117 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:18 PM

Apparently, we are incorrect.  Here is a video with Hakeem talking about how there is more than one "Dreamshake"--it's all the Dreamshake.

I think the announcers may have pegged that one go-to move he used as the Dreamshake, but if Dream says it's not then so shall it be written.

#8 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 4,117 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:22 PM

Here is a media description of his "famous" move....likely why we see it the way we do.

irFrVk8RnSjHA.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users