Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  cointurtlemoose : (08 September 2015 - 01:17 AM) aaaah, thanks jorge
@  jorgeaam : (08 September 2015 - 12:21 AM) Love it how Hinkie and Morey always target the same players, but hoping he isn't another Covington
@  thejohnnygold : (08 September 2015 - 12:03 AM) Christian Wood has signed with Philly
@  jorgeaam : (07 September 2015 - 10:32 PM) If I'm not wrong, he hasn't been waived yet, they have until october 4th to do that
@  cointurtlemoose : (07 September 2015 - 05:39 PM) Anyone else surprised that Kostas hasn't gotten picked up by anyone yet? I wanna see that guy play somewhere
@  redfaithful : (05 September 2015 - 10:48 PM) Llull line from today loss to Serbia: 30MIN 1-10PG, 0-5 3PG, 4-4FT 6AST, 1TO, 4REB, +/- -11
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 01:42 AM) one bullet left in the chamber is diff than fully loaded and ready to go. Still stupid...but not like he was prepared for a shooting spree.
@  jorgeaam : (02 September 2015 - 09:33 PM) http://www.tmz.com/2...t-get-arrested/
@  jorgeaam : (02 September 2015 - 09:33 PM) So according to TMZ (I know, I know) Dwight Howard had an incident last month in which he took a loaded gun into an airport, but he was allowed to give it to a friend to take it back and wasn't arrested.
@  jorgeaam : (31 August 2015 - 10:45 PM) The Los Angeles Rockets, lol
@  redfaithful : (31 August 2015 - 09:51 PM) Seems that Chuck is also on his way to the Clippers.
@  slick shoes : (24 August 2015 - 06:14 PM) ill just leave this here...
@  slick shoes : (24 August 2015 - 06:14 PM) http://www.timeandda...04&font=cursive
@  timetodienow... : (21 August 2015 - 07:20 PM) At least in my opinion.
@  timetodienow... : (21 August 2015 - 07:20 PM) I love having Terry. But the main factor was that New Orleans will NOT compete for a championship this year and the Rockets will.
@  jorgeaam : (21 August 2015 - 03:57 AM) Things that make me like the JET even more

Photo

Golden State Warriors 110, Houston Rockets 106: Die standing

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 04:11 AM

New post: Golden State Warriors 110, Houston Rockets 106: Die standing
    By: Forrest Walker

The Western Conference Finals have begun and the Golden State Warriors have taken the expected 1-0 series lead on the Houston Rockets. It was not, however, a double-digit bashing, nor was it an ugly, one-sided game. This was a real contest, the kind that suggests an entertaining series worthy of the third round of the NBA playoffs. James Harden is exceptional, Trevor Ariza has icewater in his veins, and the Rockets aren't afraid of the Warriors. This is gonna be fun.

The biggest worry, bigger even than going in a one game hole, is that Dwight Howard suffered a bruised knee when Josh Smith slid into him. He played through it to the best of his ability, and still grabbed 13 rebounds in the game, but had to leave in the fourth quarter, and did not return in a critical stretch run. If his knee will recover soon, the Rockets look to be in surprisingly good shape. When he wasn't posting up (which he should stop doing, forever, immediately), he was a force of nature, and was winning his matchup and more. His presence is mission critical here, and the news that comes out over the next forty-eight hours may determine Houston's fate.

The good news is that the Warriors don't seem to be able to contain James Harden as well as the Los Angeles Clippers could. It's surprising that a better defense is more pliant to Harden's game, but LA had a perfect storm for containing Harden. DeAndre Jordan's rim protection and JJ Redick's startling defensive alacrity were able to slow him and make the other Rockets beat them. The other Rockets did indeed beat the Clippers, and now Harden faces the slightly less successful Klay Thompson and Andrew Bogut, the latter of whom stayed in foul trouble and the former of whom was biting on far too many of Harden's fakes. James flirted extensively with a triple double, ending the night with 28 points on 11-20 shooting, 11 rebounds, 9 assists, and 4 steals. Harden took his team as far as anyone can, going on a scoring run by himself to close the game up late.

Unfortunately, without Dwight Howard inside to hold the fort, Terrence Jones and Josh Smith weren't able to keep from getting washed away by the tidal wave that is Golden State's defense. Jones' 2-10 shooting was indicative of his inability to finish at the rim in the second half, and it was only by divine providence that Josh Smith ended with more points (17) than shots (16). Jason Terry joined in the letdown brigade, shooting 2-9 and clanking on open threes, though he did play better than expected defense on resident fire elemental Steph Curry.

Curry shot 6-11 from three point range, and a few of these were open. That's gotta change.

The pleasant surprise captains were Clint Capela and Pablo Prigioni, who looked fresh and relatively un-scouted by the opposition. Prigioni seemed to have saved up all his super bar for tonight's game, and hopefully he has more in the tank for the rest of the series. He's looked like the crafty veteran that general manager Daryl Morey hoped he was trading for, and Clint Capela is showing limitless promise. Capela is performing plenty well, even if he's on a huge stage much sooner than expected. He cleans up around the rim, sets good screens, flushed the ball, and plays remarkably tenacious defense. He's going to be overmatched as the series progresses, but he's better than he should be right now, and is a delight to watch.

The big story is that the Warriors had to fight to keep the Rockets down late, and were up by only 2 points with 15 seconds left in the game. The Rockets led by 16 early in the second quarter, and forced a sleepwalking Warriors team to step it up. A lot can happen, but this doesn't look like a series headed to a sweep. If Dwight can take the floor, if Harden can prove he deserves all his MVP votes and more, and if the role players can get anywhere near Trevor Ariza's level (who was the second best player for the Rockets tonight), the Rockets can make this a series. Ariza's fourth three in five tries cut the lead to 2, and it proved something important. The Rockets aren't laying down, and they aren't going away.

#2 Willk

Willk

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 309 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 07:44 AM

All of the warriors 2nd half 2nd chance points came with Dwight out. 20 of their 22 points in the paint in the 2nd half were without Dwight. Hopefully Jones can play much better because these two things cannot happen again whenever Dwight is out.

#3 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
      • 2,296 posts
      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:39 AM

Per Michael Moore the Golden State small lineups in the second half were -3 but that might have had something to do with Harden going off. I think Harden feels confident against most of their lineups anyway but he's going to need help and they have to play better defense which I think they can.
      How sweet it is!

#4 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 336 posts
      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 20 May 2015 - 01:09 PM

I was really encouraged by this game. After the four games from the regular season, I braced for the worst. Despite cold shooting and Dwight going down, we still held our own against the best in the west and proved that we could hang in there with them.

Clint Capela has played HUGE in his minutes in the playoffs. If he can improve his FT shooting, he will be another first round gem in Morey's crown. It's a shame that Bill and Bull aren't calling the games to give him a nickname, so I'm going with "The Kid" until I hear something better.

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#5 RocketMan

RocketMan

Rookie

• Members
      • PipPip
      • 69 posts
      • LocationSouthern California

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:42 PM

That game made the Warriors human. They are a very impressive team, but the Rockets are more than capable of beating them in a best of 7 series. This is going to be fun.

#6 majik19

majik19

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 265 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:50 PM

Per Michael Moore the Golden State small lineups in the second half were -3 but that might have had something to do with Harden going off. I think Harden feels confident against most of their lineups anyway but he's going to need help and they have to play better defense which I think they can.

I think they surprised us with the small ball lineup in the first half, but we were ready for it in the second half (at least, that was my observation).

Overall, I agree with Rocket Man - we made the Warriors human, we saw that we can beat them. Bobble a few less passes, or Josh Smith dunks the pass from Harden at the end of the game, and we're talking about a huge win today. 

#7 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 373 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 03:08 PM

I just have one thing to say:

#8 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,290 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 03:09 PM

Like many have said the only time there small ball killed us was when Howard tried to post up Green. Despite being much shorter green probably weighs about the same was howard and wasn't going to budge on the block. Harden looks very comfortable against the small ball lineup after going against DJ last round. Ariza was great just need one more guy to step up, especially If we can get a bucket to go or a couple stops during gs runs to avoid those avalanche  25-6 type swings. 

#9 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 166 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 03:31 PM

And it's not just that he missed them, but his attempts just looked really timid to me. It's these types of games that keep me reticent about investing in TJones for the long term. Dude shows MASSIVE promise one game, and then looks unsure and tentative the next.

But overall, I'm also encouraged by the game.

#10 RocketMan

RocketMan

Rookie

• Members
              • PipPip
              • 69 posts
              • LocationSouthern California

Posted 20 May 2015 - 04:03 PM

Take a closer look at the box score:

Houston beat or matched on every stat (team) except for:

Turnovers- Hou(15) GS(12)

Steals- Hou(8) GS(9)

POINTS!!

Points in paint/Fast break points were even or very close. That shows that we need to create some disparity somewhere. We allowed 28 fast break and 50 in the paint. That needs to go down on both ends to steal game 2. 

#11 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 373 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 04:39 PM

Take a closer look at the box score:

Houston beat or matched on every stat (team) except for:

Turnovers- Hou(15) GS(12)

Steals- Hou(8) GS(9)

POINTS!!

Points in paint/Fast break points were even or very close. That shows that we need to create some disparity somewhere. We allowed 28 fast break and 50 in the paint. That needs to go down on both ends to steal game 2. 

It actually comes down to Howard. No healthy Howard, no chance.

#12 majik19

majik19

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 265 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 04:42 PM

Per si.com, it wasn't only Jones - we made only 26/51 shots at the rim. That's straight up pathetic, especially considering Bogut didn't play a lot. 

#13 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                  • 4,118 posts
                  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 May 2015 - 06:19 PM

Per si.com, it wasn't only Jones - we made only 26/51 shots at the rim. That's straight up pathetic, especially considering Bogut didn't play a lot. 

Well, when the other team is allowed to grab/slap your arms that happens.

#14 txtdo1411

txtdo1411

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 196 posts
                  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 20 May 2015 - 06:51 PM

So much this. If they call that game even, we have at least 6-8 more free throws. I mean I could even hear the slaps on TV on a couple of them. 

#15 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 222 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:29 PM

Points in the paint game 1 per NBA GameTime app: Houston 52 GS 50. (Even....limited Bogut/D12)

3p% Houston 36.4% GS 34.5% (Curry 6-11, rest of team 4-18 or 22%).
                    Klay was 6-18 from the field. Switching gave the Warriors some trouble.....they won't admit it. Ariza predominantly on Klay gave him trouble....he won't admit it.

Edited by Jatman20, 20 May 2015 - 10:30 PM.

#16 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 222 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:07 PM

...........Houston.............GS..............
                      1Q.........31.....................24.............
                      2Q.........24.....................34..........................Livingston took advantage of smaller PGs of Houston....6/8 FGs. and 6/6 FTs for game.
                      3Q.........24.....................26.............
                      4Q.........27.....................26.............

Hard to post the Warriors even w/o Bogut (Grizz found that out). We have to go fast with post ups before defense sets up if we do post.
                      Everyone knows how I feel about playing GS small.....I wrote small ball during season forum posts; but described taking out a PF and upsizing at the point (PG). I would like to see Papanikoula see some minutes. Jet missed about 2 wide open 3's. If he is going to be on the court.....he and Prigi need to make a few 3's. My goal going in is keeping Curry under 30 and Klay under 15. Curry scored 34 (4 points was the difference in the total outcome), but the points of Livingston in the 2nd quarter was the key.......Rockets Rebs 47......GS.....43 (Limited Bogut/D12) we can win the rebound battle each game.

Edited by Jatman20, 20 May 2015 - 11:10 PM.

#17 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 373 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 02:49 AM

I have absolutely no idea where that stat came from. Did an author just make it up? Here is the shot chart for the game:

#18 majik19

majik19

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 265 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 03:25 AM

I have absolutely no idea where that stat came from. Did an author just make it up? Here is the shot chart for the game:

Of course I cant find the article now, but I promise it was on si.com. 

#19 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
                          • PipPipPip
                          • 373 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 03:49 AM

Of course I cant find the article now, but I promise it was on si.com. 

It was wrong. Trust me. I function with shot charts and area shot percentages all of the time. The Rockets are never ever going to get 60%+ of their shots in the paint.

Edited by NorEastern, 21 May 2015 - 03:50 AM.

#20 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
                            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                            • 4,119 posts
                            • Locationhouston

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:20 AM

agree.......the non call where D Green fell into Ariza while Curry cuts to the rim for a layup was mind-boggling. I don't usually call out the ref's but?

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users