Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  thenit : (20 March 2016 - 02:40 PM) Its time someone in the team got into Harden's face. I don't even care what the reason was or if Jet was at fault, just good that someone is willing to do it
@  slick shoes : (20 March 2016 - 12:04 AM) did anyone just see James and JET get in to it? they had to be separated by Brewer.
@  thenit : (17 March 2016 - 09:25 PM) I don't know, Feigen tweeted that they had another meeting, and that Dmo said that we had 6 or 6 of those according to feigen. Basically said its no time to talk because nothing changes and walk the walk
@  slick shoes : (17 March 2016 - 09:19 PM) Who is calling these meetings? Does anyone even show up at this point?
@  thenit : (17 March 2016 - 08:48 PM) Its laughable, they had another players only meeting. I think its like the 10th one. Still no change. Its so stupid, like Dmo said whats the point of talking if we don't play hard.
@  slick shoes : (17 March 2016 - 02:54 AM) are you surprised? this is the same team that we've seen all season. so much talk from the locker room about improvement and change. the grizz win was a fluke.
@  Cooper : (17 March 2016 - 02:52 AM) on pace to give up 144 at half, pathetic effort.
@  RocketMan : (15 March 2016 - 11:34 PM) Per the references, yes.
@  slick shoes : (15 March 2016 - 12:51 PM) Is Terrence Jones even on the team any more?
@  majik19 : (12 March 2016 - 06:15 AM) didn't watch the whole game, but we actually looked solid on both ends. the defense was rotating appropriately. i can hardly believe it.
@  DenverRocket : (11 March 2016 - 08:51 PM) Great interview with DM: http://espn.go.com/e...lay?id=14951528
@  majik19 : (10 March 2016 - 02:20 AM) pathetic how close this game is...
@  thejohnnygold : (06 March 2016 - 12:48 AM) Those are some sweet socks. Have fun!
@  bboley24 : (05 March 2016 - 06:38 PM) Im going to the game tonight in Chicago. Ill be in the bright rockets sweater. Wearing my socks as usual. Then off to the Cleveland game in a few weeks as well! My wife is an amazing woman.
@  thejohnnygold : (05 March 2016 - 05:52 PM) Dekker and Harell looking pretty good down in RGV...especially Harell. LINK
@  majik19 : (03 March 2016 - 04:53 PM) the Rockets are so desperate they signed Michael Beasley to a 1+ year contract...
@  thejohnnygold : (03 March 2016 - 01:59 AM) Gotta admit, I like what I'm seeing so far...4 minutes left in 1st half and the entire team looks good...now if we can just get some of these 3's to fall...
@  slick shoes : (02 March 2016 - 09:10 PM) I wonder what happens to his share of the team now?
@  slick shoes : (02 March 2016 - 09:09 PM) "The Oklahoma City Police Department said he was traveling at a high speed and "pretty much drove straight into the wall.""
@  thejohnnygold : (02 March 2016 - 08:57 PM) Sounds more like suicide...

Photo

Houston Rockets 118, Dallas Mavericks 108: A team effort

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 08:24 AM

New post: Houston Rockets 118, Dallas Mavericks 108: A team effort
    By: Paul McGuire

We may forget it from time to time, but there are other players on the Rockets besides James Harden.

Harden dropped 24 points tonight, but by his ludicrous standards did not score all that well. He took 17 free throws and shot just 4-11 from the field. Dallas was aggressive with the double team and absolutely determined to make the rest of the Rockets beat them tonight.

And that is what the rest of the Rockets did. Terrence Jones came close to a triple double, Jason Terry and Trevor Ariza blazed from three, and Corey Brewer was the hero of the fourth quarter. And while it is far too easy to massively extrapolate from just one game, there is one thing that is patently clear: the Mavericks may have an answer for James Harden. But they are as helpless as a newborn kitten in trying to stop Dwight Howard.

In the Red94 Preview Roundtable, I noted that the big man battle would be key to this series. If Dallas prevails, it will be because Dirk looks like old Dirk and Chandler can challenge Howard. Well, Dirk looked like old Dirk on the offensive end, as he scored 24 points on just 10-14 shooting. But Dirk's never-terrific defense has now completely collapsed, and Houston attacked him again and again through the pick and roll.

Tyson Chandler in the meantime had 11 points and 18 rebounds, so one might think he had a terrific game. And he did - whenever Howard was not on the floor. When he was, Chandler could not do anything.

Nor for that matter could the Dallas offense as a whole. The difference in Houston's defense when Howard was in or out reminds me of 2013 when Houston's defense collapsed whenever Omer Asik took a breather. The Mavericks can throw Rondo or Aminu or Harris or double teams galore to slow down Harden like happened tonight. But they have no answer for Howard's defense and finishing ability. Howard shut down the paint completely, and if he had managed to play over 30 minutes, this would have been a blowout.

But Dallas got him into foul trouble and limited Howard to just 18 minutes tonight. He started by picking up two cheap fouls in the first. At the beginning of the second quarter, Rick Carlisle started by ordering Amare Stoudemire to post up on Howard again and again. These post-ups kept failing, but eventually Amare managed to draw Howard's third foul and send him to the bench. The pattern for much of the game is that the Rockets would destroy the Mavericks when Howard was on the floor. Then Howard would pick up a foul after three or four minutes, and then Dallas would then crawl back into this game.

Kevin McHale surprisingly sent out Clint Capela to replace Howard instead of Joey Dorsey. Capela can block shots, but he needs more time in the weight room before he can successfully guard Amare or Tyson Chandler. He also is still not fully aware of the Rockets defensive rotations, as he hedged way too far on the screen and roll on multiple possessions. This left Houston's defense vulnerable to cutters, which the Mavericks took advantage of.

But while Clint Capela is not as good a defender as Dorsey, this is made up for by the fact that he is a much better offensive weapon. You can actually run a pick and roll with Capela and expect him to finish at the rim if you pass it to him. There were multiple plays which started with Harden passing out of the hard double team to Jones or Josh Smith, who would then make the interior pass to Howard or Capela. Capela finished with 8 points and 6 rebounds, a sound playoff debut for someone who few expected to see in the playoffs at all.

Jason Terry, Corey Brewer, and Trevor Ariza also had some great games as well. Brewer only hit three 3-pointers over the final 12 games of the regular season. He hit three in the fourth quarter tonight, all of which came late in the shot clock, and finished with 12 points in the fourth quarter. Terry was the steady hand ready with a 3-point bomb when his former team seemed about to counterattack. And Ariza shut down anyone he guarded, whether it was Parsons, Ellis, or even Dirk late in the fourth quarter.

This series is far from over, but I do believe after tonight that Dallas at its best cannot hang with the Rockets at their best. Houston has more depth, a better star, and a defense that they can fall back on should things go bad. The question is whether Rick Carlisle can muck things up enough over the next few games. With more Dwight on the floor protecting the paint, the Rockets could shut down the Dallas offense over the next few games.

Shaqtin-a-Fool moment of the game: Late in the fourth quarter, Rick Carlisle hacked Josh Smith who went 1 for 2 at the foul line. Kevin McHale responded by hacking Rondo - but Houston was not in the penalty yet.

#2 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,263 posts
    • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 19 April 2015 - 11:54 AM

I think you'll find that they actually fouled Rondo to get Josh Smith out of the game. He got subbed out at that point and didn't return until the last minute, presumably to avoid him being hacked further. It may have looked like they were hacking Rondo (the crowd and broadcasters certainly thought so) but I'm pretty sure it wasn't.

The Rockets starters were dominant tonight - whenever Harden or Howard were in the game they toasted the opposition. Really the only reason the Mavs got anywhere near level in this game was because of Dwight's foul trouble - if he can avoid that in future games, the Rockets should cruise in this series. 

I felt coming into this series that we didn't have to be afraid of Nowitzki any more. He is still a potent offensive weapon because of his shooting, but he is a poor enough defender these days to negate that. The Rockets did a really excellent job of targetting him whenever he was on the floor - the reason there were all those backdoor dunks was because of the way Chandler kept having to rotate over to help on Dirk's man, leaving a lob or drop off pass wide open.

It definitely looked like the Rockets had a preparation advantage. For example, they seemed to have a zone slicing play right off the bat - Harden draws the attention of both of the guys at the top, then tosses the ball to the 4 at the top of the key. Both Jones and Smith are capable of making plays from that position, and although Smith didn't have his best game tonight I'd back him to do better as the series goes on. The Rockets were also liberally employing a very switchy defense and it really frustrated the Mavs, especially in the first half. I would guess that Carlisle will be looking to cook up something to counter that in Game 2 - we'll see what he comes up with.

ST

#3 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,263 posts
    • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 19 April 2015 - 12:00 PM

I guess the one thing I'm concerned is that the good three point shooting from our wings is not sustainable. Brewer, Ariza and Terry combined to shoot 9-13 from beyond the arc in this game. That's not going to happen every time and when it doesn't the Rockets are going to look a bit more beatable. On average you'd expect them to be more like 5-13, and that difference (12 points) is more than the margin of victory. That's not to say the Rockets couldn't have found another way to win, but it's easy to hide behind the mirage of a hot shooting night. What the team does when they miss a few three pointers (and there are going to be games in these playoffs where that happens) will determine how far they end up going, IMO.

ST

#4 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 378 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 12:27 PM

Howard, when he was on the floor, looked like the Howard of 2010. Just absolutely dominant. Five blocks in 18 minutes while completely shutting down the paint. If that is the Howard that shows up in these playoffs Houston could go a long long way.

Houston attacked the zone over the top well last night. When Howard played they could successfully lob over the top of the zone. In order to run away with games in this series either Howard needs to play 30 minutes a night or Houston needs to continue shooting the three well. Expect even more match up 2-3 zone next game.

Dirk has become a fire hydrant out there. He can move his feet but he moves them real real slow.

#5 08huangj

08huangj

Rookie

• Members
      • PipPip
      • 77 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 12:30 PM

I guess the one thing I'm concerned is that the good three point shooting from our wings is not sustainable. Brewer, Ariza and Terry combined to shoot 9-13 from beyond the arc in this game. That's not going to happen every time and when it doesn't the Rockets are going to look a bit more beatable. On average you'd expect them to be more like 5-13, and that difference (12 points) is more than the margin of victory. That's not to say the Rockets couldn't have found another way to win, but it's easy to hide behind the mirage of a hot shooting night. What the team does when they miss a few three pointers (and there are going to be games in these playoffs where that happens) will determine how far they end up going, IMO.

ST

I agree that a few missed three pointers will impact the match. But just remember that Dwight Howard was in foul trouble for most of the game. The Mavs, per bleacher report, shot 37% when Howard was on. It increased by 13% to 50% when he went off. That is much more than 12 points. Anyway, I actually agree with you that the Rockets wings are all incredibly inconsistent beyond the arc except for Ariza.

#6 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,389 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 April 2015 - 01:58 PM

Good points and observations all around.  Yes, we shot well from deep; however, Harden was 1-5, and Prigs, Jones, and Smith combined for 0-7.  That should improve to help balance the other guys out.  On the other side, Dirk's 10-14 will dip, Rondo's 7-16 (1-2 from deep) will too.  Ellis had a sub-par game.  I think it is likely he will catch fire and steal at least one game from us.  Also, Dallas didn't exactly shoot poorly from deep at 35.3%.

I loved the switching defense--it hides a lot of our (meaning: Terry's) deficiencies on the perimeter.  (What a gamer he is!  Loved his play on both ends last night.)  The rotations were good (mostly) and we scored 23 points off of 17 Dallas turnovers--that is another stat that was huge for us.

On a side note, is Corey Brewer on the fast break one of basketball's most exciting plays?  I think it is.  :wub:

I know the all-around team effort was mentioned, but let's break it down by position:

Dwight/Capela: 19 pts on 8-14 shooting with 11 rebs and 7 blocks (3-6 ft and 3 to's) all in 33 minutes.

*which means we played 15 minutes of small ball where Jones/Smith held down the fort

Jones/Smith: 30 pts on 11-29 shooting (0-4 on 3's), 16 rebs (6 offensive), 7 assists, 2 stls, 2 blks, and 4 to's in 59 minutes.

*That is a solid contribution from the 4.  Assuming their shooting % will increase this bodes well for us.

Ariza/Brewer: 27 pts on 8-17 shooting (5-6 on 3's, 6-7 ft), 11 rebs, 7 ast, 3 stl, and 1 to in 62 minutes.

*This week's statline for the incredibly petty: Chandler Parsons was 5-15 (0-4 from deep) for 10 pts, 6 reb, 2 ast, and 1 to in 37 minutes.  Aminu/Jefferson chipped in 2 pts on 1-3 shooting, 7 rebs, a stl, and 2 blks in 23 minutes.

Harden: 4-11 (1-5 on 3's, 15-17 ft) for 24 pts, 2 reb, 11 ast, 1 stl, and 2 to in 39 minutes.

*He is his own position.  That "SG" next to his name on the roster stands for "Superstar Guard"; although, I'm guessing Harden likes to think of it more like this: "SwaG".  B) 

Terry/Prigioni: 18 pts on 7-14 shooting (4-10 on 3's), 4 reb, 1 ast, 4 stl, and 3 to's in 47 minutes.

*I thought Prigs got robbed of 2 good steals (both got whistled).

This is interesting--I may track it the rest of the way.  Outside of Harden, McHale leaned very hard on the quartet of forwards--and they delivered.  It's not a good match-up for Dallas: Nowitzki, Parsons, Villanueva, Aminu, and Jefferson vs. Smith, Jones, Ariza, and Brewer.

#7 Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 221 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 03:32 PM

There was a reason why Terry, Ariza, and Brewer shot better than average from three-point range: they had some wide-open corner looks that they knocked down, which really helped their confidence on the tougher shots later in the game.  I thought the Rockets had great ball movement.  I agree with Sir Thursday that the Rockets had a decided preparation advantage--McHale did an excellent job with the rotations.  Speaking of McHale, can we finally put the rest the idea that he won't play rookies or develop players?  Having enough confidence to play a rookie with almost no regular-season experience is gutsy, and Capela responded with a good game.  Capela is going to be a monster--he's only 20, and remember that he missed summer league and training camp because of injuries.  What a superb pick at #25 in the draft.

#8 majik19

majik19

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 399 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 04:04 PM

On a side note, is Corey Brewer on the fast break one of basketball's most exciting plays?  I think it is.  :wub:

What's funny about when Brewer is on a fast break is there is nothing graceful about it - he just fearlessly barrels down the lane, usually right at someone, and then gets the shot to go in. He is definitely fun to watch.

Overall, a really nice game from the Rockets, on both ends. I wonder what wrinkle Carlisle will try next? Maybe he'll go with the "Let Harden get his, but lock everyone else down" strategy.. 

#9 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 310 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 04:32 PM

I was surprised Capela played due to his FT shooting with the Rockets in the season. McHale noted Capela shot close to 60% from the FT line while with RGV Vipers this season.....an upgrade from Dorsey at the FT line. It is up to Capela react.....Rockets will take any positive out of that. I noted that teams will try to take the ball out of Hardens hands.....forcing the outside shooters to beat them for the series.

The added wrinkle was the passing from Harden to TJ/Smith who lobbed or bounced passed to the guy on the baseline (D12/Smith/TJ) for easy baskets. Playoffs are about adjustments game to game. Will or can the Mavs adjust? The points in the paint and fast break points were much higher than one would expect from a playoff game.

The Rockets shot a trillion three's (mostly contested) during the season in preparation for open three's in the playoffs. IMO most teams can't defend both the paint and the 3 point line completely. IMO most teams compromise by taking away points in the paint and stay close to one (the best opposing shooter). Aliza is the guy they will key on......unless the Jet stays hot; which will open up Ariza. If you watch replays of our playoff games last year. We had wide open three's last year as well. Lin/TJ/Francisco/Caspi failed to knock them down with any consistency.
              As we get deeper in the playoffs....the perimeter defenders will get better. Dallas doesn't have good enough perimeter defenders.

Edited by Jatman20, 19 April 2015 - 04:34 PM.

#10 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 310 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 04:52 PM

I noticed Harden bringing the ball up past half court.....which is good. Teams are going to press and trap him since Beverley is out. He needs to get use to it while playing a lesser team. That's right Cuban....."a lesser team!"

#11 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 179 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 08:06 PM

I too was pleased with Capela for the most part! Encouraging to see him do that well against saavy big man vets. And I soooooo wish that monster dunk would've connected...

Prigioni, though not quick, is a 'disruptor' on D. Noticed it especially last night. I agree Johnny, two of those fouls were pretty bad calls IMO, and should've been steals.

That Mavs team just looked so vulnerable on defense. From attacking Dirk (which we could even do more IMO) to stopping penetration, they didn't really seem to have the capacity to keep us from two those two main things we want to do. Carlisle is smart, yes, but their roster is also kinda limiting. Maybe I'm speaking too soon though.

#12 bernardo

bernardo

Rookie

• Members
                  • PipPip
                  • 63 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:27 PM

Capela shot poorly from the line in the regular season, yes, but it was with 23 FTA. Don't know his total FT numbers from the vipers, but 60% with a much higher sample size is more reliable statistically, IMO. I don't know if he can be at 50-60% through the series/playoffs, but I'm not putting him on dorsey's level at the stripe (yikes) with that small of a sample. We'll see how he responds.

#13 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 478 posts
                    • LocationHouston

Posted 19 April 2015 - 11:56 PM

Capela shot poorly from the line in the regular season, yes, but it was with 23 FTA. Don't know his total FT numbers from the vipers, but 60% with a much higher sample size is more reliable statistically, IMO. I don't know if he can be at 50-60% through the series/playoffs, but I'm not putting him on dorsey's level at the stripe (yikes) with that small of a sample. We'll see how he responds.

102 out of 171: http://basketball.re...a/Summary/28284

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#14 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
                    • 1,496 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:14 AM

New post: Some thoughts on Game 1 of Houston Rockets vs. Dallas Mavericks
                      By: Rahat Huq

• I'm pretty much still shocked that we saw Capela instead of Dorsey last night, because it's not a McHale move, given his track record.  We screamed collectively last year just to give Motiejunas even a look when no one on this team could cover LaMarcus Aldridge, and that didn't happen.  And don't tell me it's because Motiejunas sucked last year.  He had made huge strides defensively, even coming in to slow down Zach Randolph in one particular game.  So when I saw Capela come off the bench for the usual Dorsey minutes, my jaw dropped.  It just made too much sense.  It's not so much the shot-blocking that gives him an edge over Dorsey but rather the fact that he's not a complete zero on the offensive end.  He can actually kind of finish and was serving as a target on some of the same plays the team was running for Howard.
                      • Speaking of Dwight, we see now why people have been literally begging him to roll to the hoop and abandon the post ever since he left Orlando.  When he plays in that way, he's still one of the most dominant forces in the game for the simple reason that he draws so much attention from the defense.  When Dwight is in the post, while he may score here and there, he's almost just as likely to turn the ball over, and the rest of the team is standing around.  Don't believe me?  Check the numbers.  Even if Dwight doesn't complete the lob, the team is almost always guaranteed to at least get some kind of high percentage look because he's sucking so much of the help away from wherever the ball is.  Had Dwight not gotten into foul trouble last night, that game would have been a blow-out.  Orlando didn't just go to the Finals with Dwight rolling to the hoop by accident.
                      • On that point, maybe this is a turning point?  Maybe Dwight has actually bought in?  He had some postup touches with Harden sitting, but maybe everything he said in an earlier interview with USA Today wasn't just lip service?  We can only hope.
                      • I've been saying for some time that I think Hakeem might be the worst thing to have ever happened to Dwight Howard.  Sometimes you need someone to tell you the truth, not to enable you.  Hakeem put, or reinforced in Dwight's mind that he can dominate in the paint and that all great big men dominate in the paint.  In reality, Dwight was dominant already, playing as he had been.
                      • Nice rebound from Terrence Jones last night, after being maybe the worst player on the court last year against Portland.  Shows how far he has come this season.

#15 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                      • 2,008 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 01:57 AM

Capela plays like a young D12. He just has to harness his athleticism.

Honestly, I almost turned the game off 20 seconds into the game, when they announced Joey Crawford was officiating the game. The man absolutely destroys the enjoyment of watching any basketball game. It could be game 7 of the Finals in Houston vs the Cleveland LeBrons and I would debate for a minute or two if I really want to watch the game if I were to see his bald head. He always makes the durn game about his sorry tuckus. I'm surprised he didn't T of Howard for looking at him.

And I'm sick of flopping, no matter who does it. The referees should be suspended for the next game for falling for a flop, and the players should receive a Technical when caught flopping on the court. No Mavs fan can ever complain about anyone else flopping ever again, for their "best" player in club history acting like he was shot by a sniper when 6'0 150 lb Pablo Pregioni breathed on him under the goal. And the Idiot Referees fail for it. The one who called the foul should lose a game check, and have to fly to NYC on his own dime to explain what he "saw", and to take an optical exam.

Nice win, tough when it's 8 on 5. Only 3 more games and the team from the second city of Texas will be out of the Rockets' hair.

Edited by thejohnnygold, 20 April 2015 - 04:11 PM.

#16 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                        • 4,389 posts
                        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 April 2015 - 05:24 PM

New post: Some thoughts on Game 1 of Houston Rockets vs. Dallas Mavericks
                        By: Rahat Huq

• I'm pretty much still shocked that we saw Capela instead of Dorsey last night, because it's not a McHale move, given his track record.  We screamed collectively last year just to give Motiejunas even a look when no one on this team could cover LaMarcus Aldridge, and that didn't happen.  And don't tell me it's because Motiejunas sucked last year.  He had made huge strides defensively, even coming in to slow down Zach Randolph in one particular game.  So when I saw Capela come off the bench for the usual Dorsey minutes, my jaw dropped.  It just made too much sense.  It's not so much the shot-blocking that gives him an edge over Dorsey but rather the fact that he's not a complete zero on the offensive end.  He can actually kind of finish and was serving as a target on some of the same plays the team was running for Howard.
                        • Speaking of Dwight, we see now why people have been literally begging him to roll to the hoop and abandon the post ever since he left Orlando.  When he plays in that way, he's still one of the most dominant forces in the game for the simple reason that he draws so much attention from the defense.  When Dwight is in the post, while he may score here and there, he's almost just as likely to turn the ball over, and the rest of the team is standing around.  Don't believe me?  Check the numbers.  Even if Dwight doesn't complete the lob, the team is almost always guaranteed to at least get some kind of high percentage look because he's sucking so much of the help away from wherever the ball is.  Had Dwight not gotten into foul trouble last night, that game would have been a blow-out.  Orlando didn't just go to the Finals with Dwight rolling to the hoop by accident.
                        • On that point, maybe this is a turning point?  Maybe Dwight has actually bought in?  He had some postup touches with Harden sitting, but maybe everything he said in an earlier interview with USA Today wasn't just lip service?  We can only hope.
                        • I've been saying for some time that I think Hakeem might be the worst thing to have ever happened to Dwight Howard.  Sometimes you need someone to tell you the truth, not to enable you.  Hakeem put, or reinforced in Dwight's mind that he can dominate in the paint and that all great big men dominate in the paint.  In reality, Dwight was dominant already, playing as he had been.
                        • Nice rebound from Terrence Jones last night, after being maybe the worst player on the court last year against Portland.  Shows how far he has come this season.

Still stuck in the mud on McHale I see.  By McHale, I mean McHale and staff because I do believe they function as a unit.  All the glory is not his nor all the blame.  Still, despite the decent research I did recently to dispel the myth, I am reading about how he doesn't play young guys.  "It's not a McHale move".  Put simply, that sentence is not true and embodies the myopia only a fan (or in this case non-fan) can muster.

Let's completely ignore that Capela was only on the bench for 25 games this season (12 of which he saw playing time in).  Let's not forget that he is buried behind one of the best front courts in the league.  Let's not forget he wasn't supposed to be here yet.  He still fouls at far too high a rate.  He still looks like a deer in headlights every time the camera catches his face.  He wasn't ready.  Go read what the pros were saying about him over at Draftexpress.com.

Outside of great physical gifts and nice touch around the rim, Capela was not receiving much positive praise.  Bad attitude, poor defense, didn't understand his role/gifts/abilities, thought he should play SF, terrible jump shot, and on and on....up until he had one good showing early 2014 where he started to turn the attitude problems around--the rest is still there.  In one season, the Rockets' staff has had to try and get this guy NBA ready.  He is still too thin, bad at team defense, can't shoot, fouls too much, and so on.  

So, when we set out to make a dig at McHale maybe we should consider context and the big picture versus a falsely contrived version of reality.  Despite all of that, and in the shadow of Motie's injury, Capela played and did pretty well.  Does anyone think he should be playing instead of Motie?

The Rockets are lauded for using their D-League system to develop players and get them the playing time they wouldn't (and shouldn't) receive in the pros.  McHale is chided for being part of that same system.  How is that possible?  Answer: It's not without wearing blinders.

(By the way, Nick Johnson played 28 out of 54 games where he was with the team this season.  He's not ready.  His shooting is horrific.  McHale still squeezed 262 minutes out of him.)

Let's look further back...Canaan played 22 out of 39 games in his rookie year (252 minutes).  He was on a bench with Lin, Beverley, and Brooks.

Let's all stop and recall this was a "draft class" that included the #34 pick (Canaan) and two undrafted projects in Covington (7 out of 15 games) and Daniels (5 out of 10 and 4 out of 6 playoff games).  Not a single bit of first round talent, but apparently McHale should have these guys all over the floor while we are fighting for home court advantage.  I see....interesting strategy....it sounds more like Philly's strategy...and look where 2 of those guys are now.

Going back to 2012-13, T-Rob played 19 out of 24.  T-Jones played 19 out of 43.  D-Mo played 44 out of 70.  Now remember they all play the same position and Marcus Morris and Patrick Patterson were on the roster to start the season.

For all the Spurs people, do try to remember the post (and research) I did showing they almost exclusively draft older players, with pro experience, that can step into NBA minutes in their "rookie" year--and most still see limited time.  Kawhi is an outlier people.

For comparison, Papanikolaou (an older, seasoned Euro vet) received 20 DNP's this season, but did play in 43 games for 800 minutes.  It's not difficult to understand...unless one simply does not want to.  Do try to remember, he is playing behind Jones, Motie, and Smith.  Does anyone think Papa is better than any of those 3 guys?

Not a McHale move, given his track record......tell me, what does that even mean?  Am I looking at the wrong track?  :unsure:

#17 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                        • 4,389 posts
                        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 April 2015 - 05:47 PM

Just found this...pretty cool stats from Sportsvu about the ROX/MAV's first game.  LINK

#18 RocketMan

RocketMan

Rookie

• Members
                        • PipPip
                        • 69 posts
                        • LocationSouthern California

Posted 20 April 2015 - 06:27 PM

Anyone have thoughts on how whiny Dirk was in this game? It must be really hard to be a Mavs fan watching him groan and moan about every bit of contact. The refs were very keyed into his performance, but I have a feeling that next game's reach-in will most likely be a steal instead.

#19 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
                        • PipPipPipPipPip
                        • 1,304 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:10 PM

I've seen him whine at refs before but was surprised how much he went after Chandler when he was the real problem on defense

#20 vonsteve

vonsteve

Rookie

• Members
                          • PipPip
                          • 57 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:03 PM

I'm a bit concerned on how easy it seemed to get those fouls on Howard, especially #3 and #4. I don't think either was really legit, but the point is they were called. The Rockets job will be immeasurably easier if we have a Howard out there and he's not playing timidly because of foul worries.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users