Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (20 February 2015 - 12:03 AM) wtf just happened in the NBA... quiet deadline huh
@  cointurtlemoose : (19 February 2015 - 10:31 PM) I think in a vacuum, it was good moves for us. But with the 'arms race' in the West, OKC and Portland both making big strides, we look a tad underwhelming
@  cointurtlemoose : (19 February 2015 - 10:30 PM) And Prigioni gives us better 3PT shooting, which IMO, we really need...
@  thejohnnygold : (19 February 2015 - 10:25 PM) I like this deal. McDaniels can be special if he refines his shooting a bit--the rest is there. Prigioni is under-rated in regards to his effect on overall team play.
@  Mario Peña : (19 February 2015 - 10:17 PM) That's a good way to put it, maybe Pablo will surprise like Terry while blending in thus adding to team chemistry.
@  jorgeaam : (19 February 2015 - 09:46 PM) an* instead of "and"
@  jorgeaam : (19 February 2015 - 09:45 PM) And Prigioni is more of and Andre Miller kind of guy, he will take his time and won't shoot unless he really needs to, but he's got 3 pt range
@  jorgeaam : (19 February 2015 - 09:44 PM) Yeah, he is a very nice defender, offensive rebounder and just a pure hustle guy.
@  txtdo1411 : (19 February 2015 - 09:32 PM) @jorgeraam that's nice to hear. I've only watched him when we have played them. He seems like a hell of an athlete, and a plus defender.
@  txtdo1411 : (19 February 2015 - 09:28 PM) I am wondering if Prigioni is going to surprise us a la Terry. Maybe he still has a little left in the tank, and can handle that "creator" role. I don't watch enough Knicks games to know, but he seems Terry-esque with better PG skills.
@  cointurtlemoose : (19 February 2015 - 09:25 PM) But yeah, no backcourt "creator", like many of us wanted.
@  cointurtlemoose : (19 February 2015 - 09:24 PM) I'm okay with no PG: Harden is one, practically. Plus Bev, plus Jet on occasion.
@  jorgeaam : (19 February 2015 - 09:20 PM) But we somehow didn't get any PG, which is weird considering how Isiah Thomas, Brandon Knight, Michael Carter-Williams, Dragic and Reggie Jackson got moved today
@  jorgeaam : (19 February 2015 - 09:19 PM) KJ McDaniels is a beast guys, I've seen enough 76ers games due to fantasy reasons to know that
@  txtdo1411 : (19 February 2015 - 08:58 PM) Swapped bench players for bench players. Although I am intrigued by KJ and his RFA status this year.
@  Alituro : (19 February 2015 - 08:49 PM) We did NOTHING.. really.
@  Alituro : (19 February 2015 - 08:49 PM) I don't even know what to make of all this
@  cointurtlemoose : (19 February 2015 - 08:40 PM) With the pick, and with Papa and/or Jones, maybe a trade happens postseason
@  cointurtlemoose : (19 February 2015 - 08:38 PM) For two guys we weren't really playing anyway (though, #freecanaan fo lyfe)
@  cointurtlemoose : (19 February 2015 - 08:37 PM) It's a little weird, I agree... the upside: we get another good shooter and an interesting (though expiring) young, crazy player...

Photo

Howard has a Bone Edema (MRI)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:24 AM

Saw this (howard has bone edema in knee) just a minute ago on nba tv gametime. Worrying here's a link to more about it:

http://www.howardluk...row-edema-knee/

but the part that worries me is this:

The second most common cause of bone marrow edema is osteoarthritis.  In a healthy knee, the bones are covered in cartilage.  In an arthritic knee that cartilage has become thin, or absent. In that situation the bone is under more stress. If the stress exceeds the capacity of the bone to support the weight then a stress reaction, or stress fracture occurs.  That stress reaction or fracture shows up as bone marrow edema.

which combines with Howard statements about how the cartilage is just gone from earlier in the year worries me a great deal that this is not due to trauma (the other major cause, and less worrisome cause). Why this worries me so much is later in the article:

Osteoarthritis on the other hand is a progressive condition. Sadly, it only gets worse over time.  That means that the edema is unlikely to improve either

and

The initial treatment of bone marrow edema is not very different from the treatment of most bruises. Rest, ice, medications, activity limitation, and  possibly a crutch or a cane. In cases of trauma, and many cases of osteonecrosis, that will suffice.  In some patients with bone marrow edema due to osteoarthritis, the pain might not improve.  If the pain has not improved and your quality of life is suffering, you may prove to be a candidate for a procedure known as a “Subchondroplasty“.

If this is an bone marrow edema in his knee, and it is due to osteoarthritis (wear and tear essentially) then not good...The 'procedure' is new and unproven, which is never a good sign either.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#2 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:55 PM

Hmm... sounds to me like it's something that could very well be the sign of chronic knee problems...

Obviously this is going to develop as more info comes out, but I wouldn't bet on him being around for the majority of the remainder of our regular season. Though I'd love to be proved wrong.

#3 bboley24

bboley24

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 377 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 12:07 AM

Dwight the non allstar?

#4 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 352 posts
      • LocationHouston

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:49 PM

got his knee drained/injected. Sounds like its osteoarthritis after all.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#5 txtdo1411

txtdo1411

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 175 posts
      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 February 2015 - 09:38 PM

got his knee drained/injected. Sounds like its osteoarthritis after all.

I would suggest everyone going and reading Mark Berman's twitter timeline. He posts quotes from Dr. Lowe about Dwight's treatment. Here is the link http://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26

Now this could be somewhat of a PR spin, but he sounds very optimistic about the recovery, and continues to say there is nothing structurally wrong with the knee. He describes it as a bone bruise, and that is what the platelet injection was for.

Edited by txtdo1411, 04 February 2015 - 09:42 PM.

#6 DaDakota

DaDakota

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 165 posts
      • LocationAustin

Posted 18 February 2015 - 05:52 AM

Sounds like Tmac to me.

DD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users