Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  jorgeaam : (04 January 2015 - 03:02 AM) So Rockets answered a blowout with a blowout
@  cointurtlemoose : (03 January 2015 - 03:24 AM) I'm just glad Papa/Johnson/Canaan got some time? Silver lining??
@  cointurtlemoose : (03 January 2015 - 03:16 AM) Whoof...
@  Mario Peña : (03 January 2015 - 02:43 AM) I'm guessing the team flew in to NOLA yesterday, watched bowl games, hit Temptations and Hustler Club and now are more hungover than hell. Damn them!
@  08huangj : (03 January 2015 - 02:30 AM) Riduculous
@  08huangj : (03 January 2015 - 02:29 AM) LOSING BY 22 POINTS
@  08huangj : (01 January 2015 - 05:54 AM) Happy 2015 to all rockets fans
@  08huangj : (01 January 2015 - 05:52 AM) James played like a MVP last night
@  Cooper : (29 December 2014 - 02:30 AM) tough game for harden and bev
@  bboley24 : (29 December 2014 - 01:55 AM) This team is ridiculously talented
@  bboley24 : (29 December 2014 - 01:55 AM) In Morey We Trust.
@  jorgeaam : (29 December 2014 - 01:05 AM) Corey Brewer beasting tonight
@  jorgeaam : (28 December 2014 - 10:56 PM) And Josh Smith starting tonight
@  jorgeaam : (28 December 2014 - 10:56 PM) The Lakers claiming Tarik of waivers
@  BenQueens : (27 December 2014 - 04:14 AM) Some nice moves to the basket as well. It seemed like he was more comfortable passing as the game went on; hope that keeps up. Lot of potential with this roster.
@  cointurtlemoose : (27 December 2014 - 04:11 AM) He definitely helped us in winning that game. Those two offensive rebounds and at the end of OT were massive. Some really great passes as well.
@  BenQueens : (27 December 2014 - 04:05 AM) No, not the only one. But we saw a lot of what Smith brings to the table, too.
@  jorgeaam : (27 December 2014 - 01:37 AM) Am I the only one who cringed while watching Smith pulling up for a last-second 3 Pointer?
@  Cooper : (27 December 2014 - 01:31 AM) Smith getting good looks at the rim.
@  Cooper : (27 December 2014 - 01:06 AM) took the clips to 7 in the playoffs last year without him. I think they will adjust but they clearly have taken a step back.

Photo

Washington Wizards 104, Houston Rockets 103: A total moral defeat.

20 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 04:58 AM

New post: Washington Wizards 104, Houston Rockets 103: A total moral defeat.
    By: Paul McGuire

When a basketball team loses by 1 point, you can normally point to this or that stroke of bad luck and declare that had it not been for that, the result would have been different.

There is no reason to do that tonight. For the fact is that the Rockets were lucky to lose by just one point. Aside from the bench and Harden’s scoring/heroics at the last minute, there is little to feel positive about when you look back on this game.

The biggest problem by far was Houston’s defense. The Wizards blew this game open in the third quarter and never fell behind for the rest of the game. And for the first eight minutes of that quarter, the Houston Rockets failed to grab a single defensive rebound. Aside from a few turnovers, the Wizards scored every single time during that period and secured an 18-point lead. Harden and Ariza ran under Washington’s screens nearly every single time, which left Bradley Beal and Paul Pierce open to tear Houston apart.

The power forward situation continues to be a concern. The less I say about Josh Smith tonight, the better. But I had believed that the idea of starting Smith was to solve the problem of ensuring post touches for both Howard and Motiejunas. Instead, Motiejunas spent very little time in the post tonight. It did work as Brewer continues to play out of his mind and Dorsey did contribute defensively. But what happens when Brewer inevitably regresses? Will the Rockets actually start going to Motiejunas or will we see something which will probably be less efficient offensively?

But as for Brewer? I have always liked Brewer as a player. The thing which distinguishes Brewer from Ariza is that Brewer is frantic when he plays. The guy is constantly moving and willing to throw himself on the floor to scrabble for steals and loose balls – Ariza is willing to do that, but he just is not the maelstrom of energy that is Corey Brewer. Brewer is not quite as solid defending as Ariza( he does go for the steal a bit too often) and is just a worse player overall. But I am very happy with what Brewer has contributed to this team beyond his great shooting.

Two smaller things:

• Harden just shot 6 free throws against San Antonio yesterday and 7 against Washington today, a low total by his standards.
    • The second straight bad game by Beverley. He played acceptable defense against Wall, but continued his cold shooting spell and had whatever playmaking skills he does have cut off by Wall in return.

The Rockets have one more game left this December, but this past stretch has been disappointing. They have won just twice in the past six games. Both of those wins were against severely depleted teams (Portland without Aldridge, Memphis without ZBo), and yet Houston still needed overtime to defeat Memphis. There have been slight warning signs in Houston’s strong start earlier this season. Those signs are now sirens.

#2 clydesmoustache

clydesmoustache

Rookie

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 72 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:24 AM

Would have been nice to see papa play as I think he might be the best passer to the post we have.

#3 adonneus

adonneus

• Members
      • Pip
      • 15 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 03:04 PM

I think Harden's place as the top scorer in the league is causing teams to defend him on a higher level than they had earlier this season. It seems like the double team is happening sooner and the triple team during paint drives is becoming more common. In these situations, Harden is still going for the foul, which results in a turnover. I hope that, as these situations continue to occur, he'll start to realize how to kick it out at just the right time when the defense has committed to a collapse rather than trying for a foul that won't get called. Continuing to adapt to the adaptations that defenses are making to his play will be a true MVP performance.

Edited by adonneus, 30 December 2014 - 03:05 PM.

#4 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 3,734 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 December 2014 - 04:36 PM

I think Harden's place as the top scorer in the league is causing teams to defend him on a higher level than they had earlier this season. It seems like the double team is happening sooner and the triple team during paint drives is becoming more common. In these situations, Harden is still going for the foul, which results in a turnover. I hope that, as these situations continue to occur, he'll start to realize how to kick it out at just the right time when the defense has committed to a collapse rather than trying for a foul that won't get called. Continuing to adapt to the adaptations that defenses are making to his play will be a true MVP performance.

I 100% agree here.  Teams have committed to shutting down James--which is fine, except when you just added a new guy and are trying to incorporate him into your system and team.  Adjustments will be made.  The coaches aren't sitting in their offices dumbfounded.  They see what's happening (likely far better than we do) and I am sure are working with the team to create counters and buffers to keep the offense viable.

The lack of whistles blown for James is a huge X-Factor (if not THE X-Factor).  We have gone 2-4 in our last 6 games.  In the 4 losses, James shot 5, 6, 6, and 7 free throws respectively.  In the 2 wins, 13 and 11.  Overall, in our 21 wins James averages 11.1 FTA/g and in the 9 losses 6.1 FTA/g.  Assuming James makes 90% of the 5 extra shots that is an extra 4.5 ppg with the bonus of setting our defense, giving the guys a breather, and not turning the ball over (often the case) setting up a 4 on 5 fast break (or worse).  I'd venture to say the net +/- from that disparity could easily be in the 10 point range.  10 points is a huge gap to overcome.

The common phrase is "live by the three, die by the three", but it seems in our case it may be more accurate to say "live by the free, die by the free".

Since I've got the page open, James 3pt% in wins and losses looks like this: 28% in losses and 37% in wins with roughly 7 attempts per game for each category.  5.9 vs. 7.8.  That is the point disparity between making 28% vs. 37% on 7 3pt attempts per game.  1.9 points.  (obviously that is on average since in any given game the gap must be at least 3 points.

Considering that threes often produce long rebounds that elude defenders and that they also keep James in the back court where he can get back to help on D rather than have to pick himself up off the floor beneath the basket I'd say there isn't much more damage done than simply missing the shot.

To expand on this, I looked at the entire team's overall performance for these categories in wins and losses.  Here are the numbers:

Free Throw Attempts per Game

Win:  28.4

Loss: 21.1

Free Throw %

Win:   70%

Loss: 72%

Three Point Attempts per Game

Win:   33.5

Loss: 35.1

Three Point %

Win:   36%

Loss: 30% (barely, it was 29.6% which I rounded up)

Well then, in the team context the "die by the three" rule still applies.  We shoot a higher % on free throws in losses; yet, we are shooting  7.3 fewer ft's per game in those losses.  According to the numbers above, James accounts for 5.0 of those attempts.  The remaining 2.3 likely belong to Dwight, but I'm not going to do that much homework right now  :P.

It seems the three pointer is the thing that carries us (despite the correlation the free throw disparity shows).  James shoots 6.8 threes per game (officially) and that is far beneath the 33 - 35 we chuck per game.  That 6% disparity in our 3 pt% in wins vs. losses doesn't seem like much, but let's look at the difference in points scored:

36.18 points (the avg. points scored off threes in wins: ([total attempts x 3 points] x % made = avg. points scored)

31.17 points scored in losses.

That is a +5.01 in scoring per game (not counting fouls on three point attempts which don't show up here).

For those concerned about turnovers, the disparity on those in wins and losses is 16.2 (W) vs. 17.6 (L).  The last two games, turnovers have been that X-Factor for us which brings us back to the beginning of this post.  Defenses have adjusted and we are trying to figure that out while simultaneously adding two new players to the mix (although Brewer has been nothing short of amazing).  The turnovers will regress to the norm.

What I'd like to see is Harden use this season to figure out how to remain effective when the ref swallows his whistle and defenses are swarming him.  If he can do that, we'll be playing well into June this year  :) and, like adonneus said, will make James the deserving MVP.

#5 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,113 posts
        • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 30 December 2014 - 06:02 PM

We should be talking a bit more about Joey Dorsey. He played brilliantly tonight and doesn't get enough credit for what he's doing. Against Memphis he was key in shutting down Gasol, and along with Corey Brewer he was the reason the Rockets were in the game tonight. He plays with great energy defensively - he may not be able to jump for blocks but his hands are all over the passing lanes for steals. And his offensive rebounding has been a revelation in the last few games - really doing excellent work and getting the Rockets a lot more possessions to work with. 

One thing I noticed was that he is excellent at preventing transition opportunities by harassing the rebounder. The Rockets don't subscribe to the Doc Rivers philosophy of surrendering offensive rebounds to get back on defence - I think this strategy is partly to blame for the loss tonight because it allowed the Wizards to get a lot of fast breaks going. But they didn't get those when Dorsey was on the court because he would prevent the rebounding player from throwing the outlet pass. It slows everything down and prevents the break from developing all together.

ST

#6 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
        • 1,275 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 07:11 PM

New post: On Josh Smith, Motiejunas, Canaan
          By: Rahat Huq

Quote:

The less I say about Josh Smith tonight, the better. But I had believed that the idea of starting Smith was to solve the problem of ensuring post touches for both Howard and Motiejunas. Instead, Motiejunas spent very little time in the post tonight. It did work as Brewer continues to play out of his mind and Dorsey did contribute defensively. But what happens when Brewer inevitably regresses? Will the Rockets actually start going to Motiejunas or will we see something which will probably be less efficient offensively?

Paul McGuire had some interesting thoughts in his recap from last night with which I agree.  First, on Josh Smith.  He's been so atrocious in these past two games that you could possibly even go so far as to say that the Rockets would have won both had he not suited up.  I think that's a fair assessment.  The team looks completely lost offensively in response to this drastic implant.  (Adding Josh Smith into your lineup in midseason is like when the white blood cell count in the body rapidly multiplies in response to a foreign element and everything goes haywire..)

But that's okay.  I still firmly believe it was a no-brainer to acquire him, even if we lose a few games in the standings.  One of my pet peeves is when a team acquires a new player, the team plays poorly upon acquisition, and the critics pound their chests in response. It takes time to adjust.  Ultimately, I don't think Houston could have gotten through the West without that extra big body, especially one as defensively sound as Smith.  Seeding doesn't really matter in the West.  These current growing pains are a worthwhile investment.  As I've been saying, it could turn out to be a disaster, but this was something the Rockets had to give a shot, especially at that pricetag.

My problem right now is Motiejunas and Canaan.  The reason the Spurs are so successful is because of the increased confidence their scrubs acquire from the increased playing time and expanded roles they enjoy during the season.  That's supposed to be the silver lining with injuries.  That when your injured guys get back, your team is even better because now not only do you have your injured guys, but your scrubs are balling out of control too.  If you just chain your scrubs back to the bench, it kind of defeats the whole purpose of developing them.

I have no idea what's going on with Canaan.  On paper, he seems to fit every need the Rockets have at point guard.  The situation is so baffling that I don't even want to speculate.  Something is clearly going on at practice or, he's just even worse defensively than I'm realizing.  (Though, it is hard to believe that that is the case when Jason Terry looks like the worst defender in all of basketball).

As McGuire noted, Motiejunas should be leading the second unit and getting all of the post touches he can handle.  Instead, he's reverted to running around like a big oaf who is hanging onto the thread of his NBA career.  I realize he wasn't productive in the, like three, touches he got last night.  But there's enough of a body of evidence that he needs to be fed consistently to be productive, and there's also enough of a body of evidence that feeding him is related to winning basketball.  Motiejunas mows people down and in theory, should have been mowing backups down.  It's not happening.  Why?

"McHale" (and I put that term in quotes as representative of the entire staff because guys clearly have defined roles here) has done of the best coaching jobs in the NBA this season.  As I know there are some of you here who take offense when I am critical, know that I am not calling for "his" head or anything remotely close to that.  No one's above criticism.  For as much as "he's" done in transforming the ethos of this team (to a defensive beast), "his" player management still leaves much to be desired.  I don't feel "he" is always able to get the most out of all of "his" players and that's what is necessary to win a title and not just feel good about winning 50 games.

#7 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
          • 2,204 posts
          • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:00 PM

We should be talking a bit more about Joey Dorsey. He played brilliantly tonight and doesn't get enough credit for what he's doing. Against Memphis he was key in shutting down Gasol, and along with Corey Brewer he was the reason the Rockets were in the game tonight. He plays with great energy defensively - he may not be able to jump for blocks but his hands are all over the passing lanes for steals. And his offensive rebounding has been a revelation in the last few games - really doing excellent work and getting the Rockets a lot more possessions to work with. 

One thing I noticed was that he is excellent at preventing transition opportunities by harassing the rebounder. The Rockets don't subscribe to the Doc Rivers philosophy of surrendering offensive rebounds to get back on defence - I think this strategy is partly to blame for the loss tonight because it allowed the Wizards to get a lot of fast breaks going. But they didn't get those when Dorsey was on the court because he would prevent the rebounding player from throwing the outlet pass. It slows everything down and prevents the break from developing all together.

ST

I wholeheartedly agree with this and furthermore I'd say that second unit might be the rock right now for McHale presently.

The starters look disjointed especially as a unit defensively to me. The last two games when the starters returned I think they surrendered a 15-0 run to the Spurs and last night against the Wizards I believe it was a 7-0 run both midwayish through the 4th. I find that lapse in defense troubling and I hope it gets corrected in the coming weeks.

Not all isolation plays are equal.

#8 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 288 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:20 PM

Ok I am going to weigh in on this topic with some trepidation. First let me take the coaches view point. It is imperative to fully explore the possibilities of Smith on the roster. The man at 29 is still just this side of an athletic freak. Once integrated into the systems he will be a force on the defensive end and a player that can actually create his own shot opportunities. By post season time the Rockets could be by far and away the best defensive team in the NBA. Smith provides the length and the athleticism to push the Rockets over the top in their chase for the 'ship.

From a reasonably knowledgeable fan perspective I find that view point reasonable in a very detached and logical way. However the Rockets were 8-3 without Howard and running with a front court rotation of Dorsey, Black and D-Mo. They should have just been killed but were not. So I have to ask this fundamental question. What is more damaging to a teams record – injuries or rotational changes brought about by acquiring players mid-season that affect the teams rotation? The data set is still small and a coherent analysis looks down right impossible to me. But given the most important current example I would lean towards new player acquisition mid-season being worked into the player rotations as more damaging to a teams W-L record.

So what exactly is missing from the Rockets game right now? I would guess two things. Howard is a block first type of defender. However going for the block actually takes him out of the game for a full second or more. This works well if he is playing next to a very fundamentally sound PF like D-Mo. But next to Smith or anyone else? I have my doubts.

The second thing that is missing right now from the Rockets game is the D-Mo post up. This one just sort of sticks in my craw. D-Mo's post ups differ radically from Howard's. D-Mo is much more contained and turns the ball over much less. D-Mo post ups, even when he misses almost never result in breaks for the opponent. Plus D-Mo is hitting ~55% down there, equivalent to 37% from beyond the arc. With absolutely no long rebounds. The Rockets have gone from giving D-Mo 10 or so post ups a game to zero. Somehow I feel that this is a critical piece of information.

The Rockets are spending $6M+ on the coaching staff. They will figure it out. If not Morey's analytics will straighten them out. But I am impatient.

#9 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

• Members
            • Pip
            • 30 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:20 PM

New post: On Josh Smith, Motiejunas, Canaan
              By: Rahat Huq

Quote:

My problem right now is Motiejunas and Canaan.  The reason the Spurs are so successful is because of the increased confidence their scrubs acquire from the increased playing time and expanded roles they enjoy during the season.  That's supposed to be the silver lining with injuries.  That when your injured guys get back, your team is even better because now not only do you have your injured guys, but your scrubs are balling out of control too.  If you just chain your scrubs back to the bench, it kind of defeats the whole purpose of developing them.

I have no idea what's going on with Canaan.  On paper, he seems to fit every need the Rockets have at point guard.  The situation is so baffling that I don't even want to speculate.  Something is clearly going on at practice or, he's just even worse defensively than I'm realizing.  (Though, it is hard to believe that that is the case when Jason Terry looks like the worst defender in all of basketball).

As McGuire noted, Motiejunas should be leading the second unit and getting all of the post touches he can handle.  Instead, he's reverted to running around like a big oaf who is hanging onto the thread of his NBA career.  I realize he wasn't productive in the, like three, touches he got last night.  But there's enough of a body of evidence that he needs to be fed consistently to be productive, and there's also enough of a body of evidence that feeding him is related to winning basketball.  Motiejunas mows people down and in theory, should have been mowing backups down.  It's not happening.  Why?

My thoughts exactly, as of late. I don't know what more DMo could have done while Howard was out to prove his offensive (and defensive) prowess. And equally as frustrating is watching Terry look visibly uncomfortable bringing the ball up and defending while Canaan doesn't even step on the floor. Terry has given us more this season than I think a lot of people expected, so I don't want at all to lambast him. But the way the Rockets are using him while they give Canaan DNPs has to make you scratch your head.

This is really my only frustration at the moment. Smith, hopefully, should eventually find a consistent way to make a net-positive contribution. And that was a good point about the more recent Harden double teams, but I think that'll be something he learns soon enough how to deal with better.

#10 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
              • 3,734 posts
              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:08 PM

I think the main thing to take from all this is patience.  Let's all take a second to consider what's really going on versus what we want to happen.

Canaan.  Look, I like the guy.  However, let's not get ahead of ourselves.  Check out his stats.  LINK  Sure, he is looking a little like Nate Robinson these days.  He came in and played in 17 games (9 as a starter) for a whopping 329 minutes.  Now, most of us around here would call that a small sample; yet, everyone is clamoring for Canaan to get more and more minutes.  He's shooting 41% from deep!

Now, if you're Morey and, as so many people believe (or is it just that they are wishing really hard?), you are trying to swing a trade for Goran Dragic then you are going to need a decent bouquet of players/picks to get the deal done.  Currently, Isaiah Canaan is at maximum value.  Morey's plan is working perfectly as evidenced by all the clamoring for Mr. Canaan.  Does anyone truly believe Canaan, once defenses get some scouting reports, is going to maintain his current pace?  I don't.  I think this is why he is mostly glued to the bench.  More playing time could tarnish what is currently a sterling shine on him.

I know many dislike what Terry brings to the table, but his team defense is ok, it's when more athletic players attack him 1 on 1 that he gets exposed, and that isn't too often.  On offense, he is a steady hand and frequently knocks down big shots to keep us rolling.  Aside from his obligatory what-the-heck-was-that-garbage??? pass/turnover per game he is pretty solid.

Now, Motiejunas is in limbo, but it is not McHale's fault.  It's Morey's fault.  Morey has brought in 3 new players while shipping out just as many over the last two weeks--one of which was making major contributions (Black).

Now, when you get new toys you have to take them for a spin.  That is what we're experiencing.  D-Mo will get his touches in the post back (which have been more than zero per game--that is exaggeration to say so).  We have to see who works and who doesn't and how they fit.  We know what we have in D-Mo.  We have seen what we have in Brewer, but there are those who would still prefer Papanikoloau was on the floor instead.

This will pass.  Players will mesh, coaches will pin down what's best moving forward.  Morey could very well not be done wheeling and dealing.  According to many, Beverley is playing his way out of town after 2 rough shooting games despite being statistically solid across the board including 40% on threes taking 6+ threes per game.  This is just chatter from the Dragic Faction.  Still, Morey may make the move if he can get the deal he wants.

Suddenly, after Papa's decent showing, and Canaan's too, a trade of Canaan, Papa, Pellie's first, and maybe Capela (just to get that roster spot back since he won't be ready for years) is a pretty dang good looking offer, isn't it?  Phoenix has got to realize they are way behind in the Western Arms Race--this trade gives them more ammo to go after some upgrades next year.

As Rahat and others have noted, seeding is relatively unimportant in the West.  Our work right now is to figure out how to be best when the playoffs arrive.  That is what's happening.  Morey promised we'd be better by the end of the season then we are now and so far I'd say he is delivering on that promise.  If he pulls a Dragic out of his hat WHILE retaining Beverley then I think it will be safe to assume he is an actual wizard.

sam-the-wizard.png

#11 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
              • 3,734 posts
              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:41 PM

Pat Beverley telling it like it is.  Slightly NSFW language.

#12 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
              • 1,275 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:45 PM

As much as I talk about it on the podcasts, I'm not entirely sure Dragic is even going to be on the block.  Wouldn't be easier to just play Canaan rather than to keep his trade value leveled, if that indeed is what's happening?

#13 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 288 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:52 PM

As much as I talk about it on the podcasts, I'm not entirely sure Dragic is even going to be on the block.  Wouldn't be easier to just play Canaan rather than to keep his trade value leveled, if that indeed is what's happening?

Dragic is not going to be traded. The Suns are playing well and are just one paint protecting big away from being competitive in the Western Conference. Just like every other trade rumor Dragic on the block is going to disapear without even a puff of smoke. Morey either pulls off the obvious (Smith and Brewer) or strikes from far left field. And there is not a whisper that Dragic is on the trading block from the Suns organization or the actual insiders like Stein and Lowe.

Canaan however is a mystery.

#14 Matt Maloney's Ghost

Matt Maloney's Ghost

Rookie

• Members
                  • PipPip
                  • 50 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 11:49 PM

We were beat by two quality teams. Can we give the Spurs and the Wizards some credit here? The games were relatively close despite the Rockets having 20+ turnovers. The bench has been outstanding. D-Mo has still been playing great. (despite the Josh Smith signing) Joey Dorsey's energy and defensive smarts are starting to justify his roster spot. Corey Brewer fits perfectly. I see a lot of positives despite the losses. I rather have these types of losses than 20 point blowouts. With the recent deals, the Rockets are officially a "Work In Progress". Which means, we're going to lose some games as we try to figure out how Josh Smith fits in. 

What I am concerned with is one aspect of James Harden's defense. The way he runs through picks. He has improved in other areas of his defense but the way runs through picks, it looks bad. He looks confused as if, one of the Rockets should have switched with him, which might be the case. The higher quality teams we will face, the less chance of Harden being able to hide on a weak offensive player. He has to kill himself on defense, that is our identity now. Danny Green and Bradley Beal knocked down wide open looks. 

On the Canaan issue, I believe Morey & Co. think Shved has a chance to be a poor man's Dragic. I think they know Dragic will not be on the trading block. They rather see what they have in Shved cause they know what they have in Canaan. 

The Spurs, Grizzlies, Clippers, Warriors, Blazers, their rosters are set. The Blazers and Grizzlies might add a bench piece but nothing major will happen to their starting five. 

OKC might have a chance at Jeff Green, I don't see why they don't make that move. He would killer on that squad.

The Mavericks and the Rockets are the only teams trying to incorporate new impact players. So I imagine we can drop to the bottom half of the playoff picture. And I'm ok with that, as long as we figure it out the rotation. 

#15 Lucas Daniel Uribe

Lucas Daniel Uribe

• Members
                    • Pip
                    • 16 posts
                    • LocationTygh Valley, OR

Posted 31 December 2014 - 07:05 AM

I would like to see the Rockets play Team ball. On offense and Defense. We need these guys to gel and make sure everyone understands their role. #Rockets #RedNation

#16 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                    • 3,734 posts
                    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 31 December 2014 - 05:34 PM

I actually agree--I prefer keeping Beverley.  I was just putting that forth as a possibility.

I am not as offended by Canaan's lack of playing time as most seem to be.  GO check out his game logs.  He got hurt and hasn't been the same since.  Since then he is 2-6 from the field (0-3 from deep) with 4 points, 1 assist, and 1 turnover in 21 minutes spread across 3 games.  Those 21 minutes come with a combined -22 +/- score.

Many people presume McHale is bumbling his way through this and that he glues young guys to the bench as he prefers veterans.  I think they brought Canaan back and found he wasn't right yet.

This roster is crowded right now.  If, and when, Jones returns where the heck does he find minutes?  Between Shved and Canaan somebody is going to be glued to the bench.  Papanikolaou is going to be hard pressed to beat out Brewer for minutes.  Is it possible Morey has done too good of a job acquiring assets?  What do we do with Johnson?  Did you guys know we hold the draft rights to 8 Euro players?  Only OKC and SA compare with 8 and 11, respectively.

Getting back to Phoenix, I have read that they would prefer to move Isaiah Thomas rather than Dragic.  He's on a 4 year $7M descending deal  like Ariza's (drops to $6.2M in year 4).  His numbers look very good and he seems willing to play a 6th man role.  Check out the per36 numbers...very nice.  I haven't watched him play much, but on paper he appears to be a terrible defender.  He could be that playmaker everyone wants and our collective defense could probably hide him well enough.  Thoughts?

#17 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPip
                    • 1,217 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 06:00 PM

IT is what people want canaan to be. I'd be all for it, the money is right young enough to fit our core. He can't guard anyone but its not because a lack of effort and if he's the only one the coaches can hide him well enough even in the playoffs. They probably wouldn't want to trade him to a western playoff team without clearly making themselves better but that may not be in the cards this year. 

#18 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                      • 3,734 posts
                      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 31 December 2014 - 06:55 PM

This podcast from matt & adam is great. 20+ minute Morey interview addresses everything we're talking about.  Episode 8.

#19 Steven

Steven

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPip
                      • 1,945 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 07:30 PM

As President of the Canaan Truthers I am revolving your Canaan Truther card JG. It is blasphemy for you to say Canaan should not be playing. ;)

Honestly as far as Canaan is concerned, sometimes injuries do cost you your job. Wally Pipp is in the vernacular for a reason. I hate it for the kid, because I do see him as a starting NBA point guard, just think now with all the veteran depth, it will be with another team.

#20 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                        • 3,734 posts
                        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 31 December 2014 - 10:24 PM

As President of the Canaan Truthers I am revolving your Canaan Truther card JG. It is blasphemy for you to say Canaan should not be playing. ;)

Honestly as far as Canaan is concerned, sometimes injuries do cost you your job. Wally Pipp is in the vernacular for a reason. I hate it for the kid, because I do see him as a starting NBA point guard, just think now with all the veteran depth, it will be with another team.

I think that if he is not used in a trade Canaan will see meaningful minutes again this season.  He will get another chance to prove his performance was not a fluke.  I don't hold him in as high a regard as you, Steven, but I do think he can be a high-caliber spark plug PG off the bench who can fill in as a starter for short stretches.

He's not going Wally Pipp just yet.  He still needs to work out a few aspects of his game, but they are things I think he can improve enough to not be a liability.

Ultimately, I think Canaan gets traded (might not be until next season) because I think Nick Johnson brings more to the table and we are not likely to keep them both moving forward.

Oh, and I'm keeping my Canaan Card.  :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users