Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  cointurtlemoose : (30 November 2014 - 04:32 AM) Totally agree, the injury bug is never fun, but I'm so glad our bench guys are getting consequential playing time, experiencing a variety of lineups
@  jorgeaam : (30 November 2014 - 04:29 AM) So the Rockets beat a team that was 10-7, doing so without Canaan, Bev, T-Jones, Howard, I like our odds when those guys come back
@  jorgeaam : (30 November 2014 - 04:22 AM) I wonder what did Giannis said to Harden to get a push from him, it seemed like nothing when it happened, that's irrelevant though, good game by the rockets tonight so far
@  Mario Pena (... : (30 November 2014 - 02:04 AM) I'm so glad there will be no Clyde on the call tonight. I think he's getting worse if that's possible.
@  Dayak : (29 November 2014 - 01:29 AM) Canaan's ballin'. Canaanball!!! Woohoo
@  rocketrick : (28 November 2014 - 03:46 PM) As a NBA fan, looking forward to seeing the Clips battle the Rockets. Not the same situation now as later, but an indication in my view. Just happy to see a quality game over the Thanksgiving weekend 2014
@  SadLakerFan : (27 November 2014 - 05:00 AM) Another brutal game from CP. Mavs somehow win despite going 4-31 from three-pt range.
@  jorgeaam : (27 November 2014 - 02:48 AM) So hack-a-Dorsey because Howard is not playing?
@  jorgeaam : (27 November 2014 - 01:30 AM) Hahaha, let's hope they don't
@  Dayak : (27 November 2014 - 01:20 AM) They have to find a way to stop Harden either
@  jorgeaam : (26 November 2014 - 08:24 PM) No Howard or Bev tonight, let's hope we find a way to stop Boogie
@  cointurtlemoose : (25 November 2014 - 03:13 AM) Harden is beasting
@  kdo : (24 November 2014 - 01:19 AM) Sigh...Howard's out...
@  Mario Pena (... : (23 November 2014 - 03:58 AM) Talk about surviving on defense and Harden delivering! Rockets beat the Mavs!
@  jorgeaam : (23 November 2014 - 03:44 AM) Yes! Nice win today
@  jorgeaam : (23 November 2014 - 03:37 AM) It's quite satisfactory to see Harden get an And-One against Parsons
@  jorgeaam : (23 November 2014 - 03:13 AM) Most three-point field-goal attempts, game
49-Dallas vs. New Jersey, March 5, 1996

Houston has 44 so far
@  jorgeaam : (23 November 2014 - 03:12 AM) WOW, 75 combined 3PA so far, NBA record for Most three-point field-goal attempts, both teams, game was 69
@  jorgeaam : (23 November 2014 - 01:51 AM) We're on pace to break the 3pm in a game record, 12 already with 6 min remaining in first half
@  jorgeaam : (23 November 2014 - 01:48 AM) Insane 3 point shooting so far

Photo

Draft and Draft Rights

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Steven

Steven

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 12:53 AM

I love the draft. All drafts. It is Christmas in April, June, and July. And with Rahat bringing up the score the Rockets got for three months of the draft bust that is Thomas Robinson, made me pull up the Rockets draft rights, and what future draft picks the Rockets currently own. And I love the draft and the foreign players for the future hope they bring.

Only two player rights the Rockets own, have a chance to don the Ketchup and Mustards (Sergio Llull notwithstanding): 6'6" SF Alessandro Gentile and 6'10" C Marko Todorovic.

Gentile is currently in Italy and is shooting 39.4% and 24% from 3, well below his career averages. He is averaging 11.9/3.3/2.9 through 9 games.

Todorovic is in Spain (considered the second best domestic league in the world) and is shooting 60.8% and averaging 12.17/5.8/0.5 through 6 games.

If the season ended today, the Rockets would have zero 1st round picks. NO is too good, so far, for their pick to be between 4-19. Poor Morey had to give away the Rockets own 1st rounder (lottery protected) to get rid of the hideous contract that he who shall not be named signed three summers ago.

The Rockets currently own 4 second round picks. Their own and New York Knicks are easy enough to figure out where the Rockets would pick, 59 and 35 respectively. The Rockets own the Sacramento Kings pick if it falls 31-49, and currently it is number 49 so the Rockets would gain that pick. The last pick is a little bit harder to figure out, for it is the worst pick of the Nuggets and the T-Wovles. Since the Nuggets/Wolves currently have the third and fourth worst records the Rockets would currently have the 34th pick. So if the season ended today the Rockets would have pick #'s 34, 35, 49 and 59.

#2 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,205 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:04 AM

I'd imagine we use a couple of those 2nds to pick up a decent vet off the bench.

#3 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,079 posts
      • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:34 AM

Morey loves getting those early second rounders - I imagine if we end up with #34 and #35 he'll be ecstatic. There's arguable more value in picks 31-35 than 26-30 since you don't have to pay them the rookie salary scale and by that point it's a bit of a crapshoot which prospects will turn out anyway.

ST

#4 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 3,664 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 November 2014 - 05:23 PM

It will certainly be interesting to see how these turn out.  LINK to our salary page.

Currently, we have 5 players on rookie contracts plus Dorsey, Beverley, Daniels and Black on (more or less) league minimums with team options.

That is some pretty impressive cap management.  That number doesn't change until 2016-17 when Dorsey Daniels and Bev come off the books.

What I'm thinking is, quite obviously, we have no use for 4 second round picks; at least, we don't as long as things don't change.

Given how much talent we are developing it doesn't make much sense to add more to the pile when we are trying to get over the top with James and Dwight.  As much as Morey loves his early 2nd rounders, I don't see us retaining more than 1 of those unless we send out a few of the guys we already have (Canaan, Nick Johnson, Capela, Black, Daniels, etc.)

I love watching the young guys compete and develop, but that's just not where we are right now.  I'm not implying we should ditch the youth altogether--that would be very foolish.  I do think moving 2-3 of them along with those quality early 2nd rounders and even our Euro-Stash guys could get us either a couple of quality depth players or perhaps 1 above average player (somewhere in the Trevor Ariza range...good, but not great).

This is what I am looking for.  Besides, we all know Morey is going to make a bid for Okafor (along with 12 other teams) so he will need the roster slot open for him.

So, the question becomes, "who wants a treasure chest of youth and potential and has a quality guy or two they'd give up for it?"

I don't think any of Rondo, Horford, Millsap, etc. fall into this category--those price tags are much higher.

I don't know what Denver is thinking, but they could be getting very close to ripe for the taking.  Would they let some guys go?  Randy Foye seems like a perfect fit for Houston, is comfortable coming off the bench, and he can light it up as a starter (he is turnover prone, but that doesn't seem to bother Morey).  Pair him with Darrell Arthur and that gives us a quality wing and a quality big who can fill in as starters if need be.  Foye makes $3M and Arthur makes $3.5M and both could come off the books after this year (Foye has a team option next season).  J.J. Hickson would work as well instead of Arthur.

Denver has to be looking at their roster and thinking it's not enough to win and these pieces don't fit.  No point in waiting.  I don't think Lawson is available, but if he was that would be a solid move for sure.  Gallo, Afflalo, and Faried don't appeal to me--Gallo seems brittle, we have Ariza so Afflalo isn't needed and Faried just doesn't seem like a good fit.

I don't know...just thinking...we certainly don't need to draft 4 more "projects".

#5 jorgeaam

jorgeaam

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 271 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:33 PM

It will certainly be interesting to see how these turn out.  LINK to our salary page.

Currently, we have 5 players on rookie contracts plus Dorsey, Beverley, Daniels and Black on (more or less) league minimums with team options.

That is some pretty impressive cap management.  That number doesn't change until 2016-17 when Dorsey Daniels and Bev come off the books.

What I'm thinking is, quite obviously, we have no use for 4 second round picks; at least, we don't as long as things don't change.

Given how much talent we are developing it doesn't make much sense to add more to the pile when we are trying to get over the top with James and Dwight.  As much as Morey loves his early 2nd rounders, I don't see us retaining more than 1 of those unless we send out a few of the guys we already have (Canaan, Nick Johnson, Capela, Black, Daniels, etc.)

I love watching the young guys compete and develop, but that's just not where we are right now.  I'm not implying we should ditch the youth altogether--that would be very foolish.  I do think moving 2-3 of them along with those quality early 2nd rounders and even our Euro-Stash guys could get us either a couple of quality depth players or perhaps 1 above average player (somewhere in the Trevor Ariza range...good, but not great).

This is what I am looking for.  Besides, we all know Morey is going to make a bid for Okafor (along with 12 other teams) so he will need the roster slot open for him.

So, the question becomes, "who wants a treasure chest of youth and potential and has a quality guy or two they'd give up for it?"

I don't think any of Rondo, Horford, Millsap, etc. fall into this category--those price tags are much higher.

I don't know what Denver is thinking, but they could be getting very close to ripe for the taking.  Would they let some guys go?  Randy Foye seems like a perfect fit for Houston, is comfortable coming off the bench, and he can light it up as a starter (he is turnover prone, but that doesn't seem to bother Morey).  Pair him with Darrell Arthur and that gives us a quality wing and a quality big who can fill in as starters if need be.  Foye makes $3M and Arthur makes $3.5M and both could come off the books after this year (Foye has a team option next season).  J.J. Hickson would work as well instead of Arthur.

Denver has to be looking at their roster and thinking it's not enough to win and these pieces don't fit.  No point in waiting.  I don't think Lawson is available, but if he was that would be a solid move for sure.  Gallo, Afflalo, and Faried don't appeal to me--Gallo seems brittle, we have Ariza so Afflalo isn't needed and Faried just doesn't seem like a good fit.

I don't know...just thinking...we certainly don't need to draft 4 more "projects".

This is the same Denver that has McGee, Mozgov, Hickson and Jusuf Nurkic (Rookie who is averaging 17 points,15 rebounds and 2 blocks per 36 min, along with 11 Fouls, and 6 TO, so not everything is great, but he is expected to be their center of the future), so we could probably get one of them to back Howard, I would like Mozgov or McGee better than Hickson though, his defense is turrible

#6 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 3,664 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:50 PM

This is the same Denver that has McGee, Mozgov, Hickson and Jusuf Nurkic (Rookie who is averaging 17 points,15 rebounds and 2 blocks per 36 min, along with 11 Fouls, and 6 TO, so not everything is great, but he is expected to be their center of the future), so we could probably get one of them to back Howard, I would like Mozgov or McGee better than Hickson though, his defense is turrible

Yes, but we aren't taking McGee and his terrible contract.  We aren't getting Mozgov (because they like him).  Like you said, Nurkic is their future.  That leaves Arthur and Hickson.

Really, this potential trade is more about getting Foye who gives us a legit floor spacer, guy who can penetrate, and create for his teammates.  He is good as a SG or a PG--it would be a good pick up.  Hickson or Arthur are going to be better than what we give up to get them--at least right now.

#7 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,620 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:52 PM

I think at least 1 or more of those will be used as a euro stash(take a page out of the spurs book, have infinite cheap players to fill out the bench at the ready). Another possibility as I stated in another topic is the brewer trade rumors, that 1 or two of those 2nds be used to get not only brewer, but also Turiaf which would provide two more good defenders for the bench; a great backup for ariza and killer in transition with brewer, along with a real backup center, strong rebounding shot blocking enforcer with Turiaf so no more layup lanes when Dwight leaves the floor. However, we would still be lacking a true 6th man unless mchale decides to play Cannan in games that we can't score in.

Edited by Buckko, 18 November 2014 - 11:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users