Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Dan G : (17 April 2014 - 10:17 PM) That is some interesting news. We gotta get past Portland first, but I like that stat for the next round.
@  feelingsuper... : (17 April 2014 - 12:45 PM) So yesterday during Truehoop TV Amin said the teams that win any season series 4 to 0 go on in the post season with a 51 and 4 record versus the losing team. Hmmmmmm...
@  Buckko : (15 April 2014 - 05:22 AM) Hope we can get him back in the offseason, he was just signed for the rest of the offseason.
@  jorgeaam : (15 April 2014 - 04:16 AM) Bulls release Tornike Shengelia and sign Greg Smith, well, that didn't take long
@  Cooper : (15 April 2014 - 02:39 AM) nice win. Dwight looks like he's ready go. Bev's still a little rusty but he should be fine.
@  Sir Thursday : (14 April 2014 - 10:24 PM) Thanks huang, that's useful knowledge :).
@  08huangj : (14 April 2014 - 01:15 AM) I've watched a lot of his games
@  08huangj : (14 April 2014 - 01:15 AM) Guys, I live in Guangzhou. Just in case you didn't notice, Powell was in Guangzhou playing with the tigers before he came to the Rockets. No midrange shot. Good rebounder. Bad defender. Good at attacking the rim. This is my summary for his time at Guangzhou.
@  Cooper : (13 April 2014 - 11:16 PM) hes 6-9 so id guess more of a pf but it doesn't really matter either way I guess.
@  Buckko : (13 April 2014 - 11:02 PM) Not really, you seen his season averages? Not pretty.
@  Sir Thursday : (13 April 2014 - 10:18 PM) He's more of a PF, I thought. You could always make the specious "RINGZZZ!" argument, since he won two with the Lakers...
@  Buckko : (13 April 2014 - 09:04 PM) Waived Pittman, signed Josh Powell. I don't really get why they signed a scrub SF.
@  Drew in Abilene : (13 April 2014 - 02:41 AM) In the postgame interview, Bev said he was alright, but it looked iffy...
@  08huangj : (13 April 2014 - 02:40 AM) Not watching the game. Just looking at the play-by-plays.
@  08huangj : (13 April 2014 - 02:39 AM) Rockets win!
@  Drew in Abilene : (13 April 2014 - 02:39 AM) Oh gosh, I hope Beverley isn't hurt again... He was taken out in the last few seconds limping after falling and looking like he hurt his right knee...
@  08huangj : (13 April 2014 - 02:39 AM) yep
@  Drew in Abilene : (13 April 2014 - 02:35 AM) Harden, Lin, and Beverley all coming up big in these last few clutch minutes.
@  08huangj : (13 April 2014 - 02:01 AM) And why is Parsons missing?
@  08huangj : (13 April 2014 - 02:00 AM) If Rockets don't get better soon, they are not going to be the fourth seed in the western conference.

Photo

Round 1 Preview (Written by a Portlander)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 uojoe82

uojoe82

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:30 PM

Based on what I've read on the forum lately there seems to be a lot of confidence (among rocket fan's) heading into this series with Portland. There is good reason for this confidence but I think Rocket's fans shouldn't expect a quick series because Portland is a very good team. 

The season series went in the Rockets favor 3-1 this year. However it could have very well went 2-2 if it wasn't for the Rockets most impressive come back win of the season. 

Post All-Star break the Blazers seemed to regress. This isn't that shocking considering there unsustainable start. However it wasn't as if the blazers were a bad team for the second half of the season. Coming into the playoffs the Blazers are 8 and 1 in there last 9 (the return of Lamarcus Aldridge has been a huge factor) and are as healthy as ever. The same can't be said about Rockets. 

The Rockets and Blazers have a lot of similarities. Both attack the rim and both shoot the 3 pointer with reckless abandon. Both have 2 all-stars, Offensively both teams share similar shooting %'s with the exception of free throws where the blazers are one of the top FT shooting teams at 82% (Houston is  at 71%). 

Match-ups (I wont be writing much about the Rockets players because we should all be pretty familiar with them)

Beverley vs Lillard 

This might be the most entertaining match up of the series. Based on Lillard's comments from the last game I'm pretty certain that Beverley wont be getting a Christmas card from the Lillard family this year. A lot has been made about Beverley's ability to harass PG's all game long, but coming off what appeared to be a pretty serious injury I'm not sure if Beverley is the same Beverley that held Lillard to sub par performances during the regular season. 

In the 4 games against houston this year Lillard performed below par (Par for Lillard is very high). He averaged 19/5/3 in there matchups. Most notable was the fact that Lillard turned the ball over 4 times a game in those meetings. Also of note was that in Portland's lone win against Houston Lillard might have had his worst game of the season. In Houstons 3 wins against Portland Lillard still averaged almost 23 a game will shooting 46% from 3. What do these numbers mean? I'm not sure. But I'm pretty sure that Lillard is jumping at the bit to go against (a not 100%) Beverley in the playoff's and we've seen Beverley commit stupid fouls so if Beverley gets in foul trouble early and Lillard goes off then it could be a very long series. Lillard's one weakness is that he play's Hardenlike defense. Against Houston this won't be a problem because Beverley isn't a threat on offense at all. I doubt it will happen but I'd love to see McHale run some plays for Lin against Lillard because Lin is the type of player who can exploit a lazy defender and get foul calls early. 

Lillard is an emerging star and based on Adidas recent $100 million investment in him the rest of the country should know about him by now. The playoffs are a stage for players to emerge into the national spotlight and this could be Lillards opportunity at the Rockets expense. Living in Portland I've seen a lot (the vast majority) of Portland's games this year and Lillard has the "it" factor. I think this is what separates him from other PG's such as John Wall or Kyrie Irving. 

This match up is interesting because as we've seen against OKC when Beverley tries too hard its to the detriment of the team. Much like Harden Lillard will get his points this series, however if Beverley can at least make it hard for Lillard then this match-up isnt as one sided as it is on paper.

Harden vs Matthews 

Today's NBA doesn't have many true shooting guards and its interesting that this match-up features 2 of them. If i was to tell you that Matthews might be a top 5 SG many of you would laugh, but that declaration might not be that far off. 

Matthews is having his best years as a pro this year.He averages 16 ppg and is one of the NBA's most prolific 3 point shooters. There's only 6 players in the NBA this year to shoot over 500 3 pointers and the blazers have 2 of them. Matthews shoots about 40% from long distance so its pretty safe to say he's pretty good. Unlike Harden who will shoot contested 3's will abandon Matthews never seems to take a bad 3 point shot. The Blazers actually run a lot of plays to get Matthews good looks from the behind the line, something I wish the Rockets would do ( I actually wish the Rockets would run plays).

He isn't as near a threat on offense Harden is however Harden's defense make opposing 2 guard perform Hardenlike on offense.  Matthews has averaged over 20 ppg against Houston this year and if Harden doesn't at least try on defense Matthews is capable of going for 30 with not a lot of attempts. And unlike a lot of prolific 3 point shooters Matthews gets to the line (4 times a game) and isnt afraid to drive the lane if needed. He also is an above average defender who can physically match-up with Harden.

This match-up is definitely in the Rockets favor but if Matthews goes for an efficient 20 points a night this series Harden is going to have to score 40 to offset Matthews contributions. 

Parsons vs Batum

Batum is the perfect player for this team. A couple years ago when Batum hit free agency I was worried that if the Blazers didn't bring him back, some team was going to pay him to be a #1 or #2 option. That would've been catastrophic for Batum's career. On this team Batum plays the perfect role. 

Physically these players share a lot of similarities. Both are tall and lanky, and both run the floor with ease. Batum is a very graceful player and sometimes his effortless ability to go up and down the court is mistaken for lack of effort or intensity. This is not the case. Batum doesn't look to score and on this team he doesn't have to. However he is perfectly capable of scoring 20 plus if needed. He grabs almost 8 boards a game and provides 5 assists per game as well. On top of the 13ppg he is very well rounded player. He is an above average ball handler and often brings the ball up the court. This could be a great asset for Portland if Lillard doesn't feel like being harassed full -court by Beverley and Ive seen many a times when Batum takes the role of primary ball handler/facilitator. Batum is also the Blazers best wing defender and I can envision both he and Matthews taking turns trying to defend Harden.

This match-up can go in the Rockets favor is Parson's can score early. But if Parson's shoots a low percentage and doesn't contribute elsewhere this one will go in the Blazers favor. We've seen McHale try to make Parson's into a defensive stopper and I'm not sure if he's the right guy for this role. If Beverley is in foul trouble will we see Parson's try to guard Lillard? Parson generally gets his points but I think its a function of him playing 38 minutes a night. Against the blazers he will need to get an efficient 16-18 ppg in order for this match-up to be at least a push. 

Jones vs Aldridge

This is a huge mismatch. Aldridge is the engine that makes the Blazers offense go. When he's on the Blazers offense is the best in the league. His mid range jumper goes in more frequently than Dwight Howard at the line. The Blazers struggled when he was out but since he's been back the Blazers are 8-1. 

I'm not going to write much about this one because there's already a post that previews/reviews Aldridge much better than I can do. However one thing I'll add is that Im not sure putting Asik on him is the answer. Aldridge shoots jumpers in the paint and Asik isnt the same out away from the hoop. Jones is athletic enough to guard him (or at least try) but we've seen Jone's shortcomings against the west's elite PF's. 

Much like the match up at SG I think that Aldridge is going to score and score a lot. The Rockets can mitigate this by forcing him away from his "spot's"  so he shoot's a lower % and to keep him off the boards. I think what's often overlooked about Lamarcus is that he rebounds at an elite level.

Howard vs Lopez

Lopez is the x factor. His performance/production will have a direct impact on many facets of the game. As the Blazers lone center (Meyers Leonard isnt ready and Joel Freeland is coming back from injury and his reliability is tenuous at best) Lopez's ability to stay on the floor will be of utmost importance for the Blazers. As an above average defender and elite offense rebounder Lopez was the missing piece for this team. Last year Aldridge had to share the court with an undersized JJ HIckson at center. This year Aldridge gets to play with a legit center and this has been the most notable difference (and contributor) to the Blazers success.

Lopez versus Howard seems like a huge mismatch but we've seen D12 not dominate against good teams. Lopez is tall and stronger than most think and he doesn't get into foul trouble. On the season he only commits 2.4 fouls a game. He is one of the leagues best offensive rebounders and his ability to keep plays alive often generates easy second chance 3 point looks for Portland's arsenal of 3 point gunners. 

If Houston can get Lopez into early foul trouble it will make what Houston wants to do a lot easier. Outside of Lopez no one else on the Blazers is a shot blocker. Aldridge can replace Lopez's rebounding but he isn't a defensive presence. Howard will have to work to keep Lopez off the glass and we've seen the Rockets inability to grab defensive rebound when D12 is preoccupied with someone else so this might be a reason for the Twin Tower's 2.0 lineup. 

On offense Lopez is crafty and a very efficient scorer. He isn't as skilled as his brother but Ive watched many a games where Lopez scores in the high teens because the other team doesnt give him the attention he deserves. He isn't the low post scorer Howard is but is very competent around the hoop.

Howard is the clear favorite in this match-up but it isn't as clear of a win as Rocket fans would hope. Don't underestimate Lopez as he makes everyone's job on the Blazers much easier when he is on the court.  

Bench

The Blazers bench was probably the weakest in the league last year. The addition of Mo WIlliams and Dorrell Wright have been huge. Joel Freeland played good minutes early on but he is coming back from injury so he is questionable. Thomas Robinson would love to go banana's on his former team (like James Anderson) but his energy often hurts the team when he tries too hard on offense. CJ McCollum is a much better version of Canaan but he seems to have lost the coaches confidence and he hasn't played much. I still think that there will be a game this series where he contributes. Mo Williams does so much for the blazers second unit and can often keep the team afloat when the starters are on the bench. He also gives the blazers a second ball handler and lets Lillard play off the ball and be a scorer for small stints.Williams also has playoff experience. The Blazers bench snit deep but they do have players who know there roles. 

The Rockets have 2 quality players on there bench (Lin and Asik ) while everyone else is questionable. However I still think that Rockets have the better bench.

Coaching (the 2 tallest coaches in the league?)

I'm not a McHale fan so I can't objectively write about this. But as someone who has watched a lot of Blazer games I do believe in Terry Stotts ability to coach. He was on the Mav's bench for there championship run so he must've learned something. 

It will be interesting to see if Mchale adapts along the way during the series. At the end of close games will he draw up a play or let Harden do his thing? If the Rockets lose this series his job has to be in jeopardy. How ill he coach if his butt is on the hot seat if the series is close?

Disclaimer:

As a native Oregonian Ive always had a place in my heart for the Blazers. However during there jail blazers days it was hard to root for them. And as an Asian American I followed Yao Ming to the Rockets and Tracy McGrady was my favorite player. I went to school with Aaron Brooks and I was mesmerized by Linsanity. So a lot of things led to me being a Rockets fan. I want the Rockets to win this but I thought Id post this as someone who is familiar with the Blazers. I've purchased my tix for games 3 & 4 and cant wait for this to get started. 

#2 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,298 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:42 PM

By the way the media is going, the pest is already in Lilards head so that matchup is already in our favor. Lilard is a far worst statistitival defender than harden as an FYI. Harden also won't be guarding Mathews a lot, because he will probably switch on LA in the post a fair amount along with our army of bigs. LA will get his, doesn't mean it will be easy. Parsons has destroyed Batum, not worried there. Robin Lopez has proven he just can't stop Howard. The blazers also have by far the worst bench in the nba and you're understating the rockets' by saying asik and Lin are the only good bench players. One more thing, isn't CJ a wing player? Why are you comparing him to our 3rd string rookie PG? Anyway I raise you one Troy Daniels.

#3 Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 158 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:31 PM

I wouldn't dismiss the Portland bench.  Mo Williams has been playing very well lately, and is the high-volume spark plug we've been missing this season.  I agree our front court depth is much better--especially with Asik--but I worry about our bench's ability to produce points.  Casspi has been a major disappointment in that regard; we don't have the Carlos Delfino role player.

I like our odds against Portland because I think we match up well (largely because Beverley can contain Lilard), but I don't think we should be overconfident.  Keep in mind we were only 1-game better in the standings.  If we lose the first game, the loss of confidence will be a major blow and it is imaginable that things go south in a hurry.

#4 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,298 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:06 PM

If Lin gets hot he can kill mo but I know that's a big if. Asik and demo would feast on their lack of front court depth and I see Troy raining the treys. Garcia and casspi can both get hot and Hamilton provides some energy.

#5 Rockets911

Rockets911

• Members
          • Pip
          • 11 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:43 PM

If Lin gets hot he can kill mo but I know that's a big if. Asik and demo would feast on their lack of front court depth and I see Troy raining the treys. Garcia and casspi can both get hot and Hamilton provides some energy.

I think the bench unit is so key to this matchup. Lin is the definite XFactor I think. Mo Williams can't stay in front of him and if the bench is run through Lin in the second unit, we'll win pretty easy I think. Main concern is the PF position vs. LMA. I think we're going to use the D12/Harden/Parsons/Lin/Beverley lineup to close out almost all the games. And use Harden and Parsons a lot to D up LMA.

#6 Cooper

Cooper

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPipPip
            • 974 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:00 PM

By the way the media is going, the pest is already in Lilards head so that matchup is already in our favor. Lilard is a far worst statistitival defender than harden as an FYI. Harden also won't be guarding Mathews a lot, because he will probably switch on LA in the post a fair amount along with our army of bigs. LA will get his, doesn't mean it will be easy. Parsons has destroyed Batum, not worried there. Robin Lopez has proven he just can't stop Howard. The blazers also have by far the worst bench in the nba and you're understating the rockets' by saying asik and Lin are the only good bench players. One more thing, isn't CJ a wing player? Why are you comparing him to our 3rd string rookie PG? Anyway I raise you one Troy Daniels.

MCollum is a 6-3 combo guard, sure he's better than Cannaan but he was also a lotto pick.

#7 Steven

Steven

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPip
              • 1,552 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:40 PM

Benches in the playoffs are overrated. It is there job to just not loss the lead, not gain it. The starters will play 40+ minutes a night, excluding Jones. So that leaves a whooping 32 minutes Asik (at C) Lin and whoever is the backup wing. I see Asik possibly play some minutes with Howard, so that will lower D-Mo's minutes as well.

#8 Rockets911

Rockets911

• Members
                • Pip
                • 11 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:18 PM

Usually in the playoffs it's limited to a 9 man rotation. I think your going to see a lot of small ball personally. I also think T.Jones will have a short leash because LMA usually has his way him and he's a -45 +/- vs. Portland.

#9 uojoe82

uojoe82

• Members
                  • Pip
                  • 39 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:17 PM

It doesnt matter that Harden is barely a better defender (per advanced stats) than Lillard. Look at who Lillard will be guarding compared to who Harden has to guard. I think that Wes Matthews is tougher to guard than Beverley. There also isnt viral youtube videos about Lillards defense. Corey Brewer scored 50 plus on Harden and Mchales defensive stopper (Parsons). 

I wrote that the Blazers have the worse bench so Im not sure you were reading correctly. McCollum is also a third string player (the blazers only play Williams at back up PG/SG basically employing a 3 guard rotation for both positions combined (much like the Rockets).. Troy Daniels? The Blazers have there own Troy Daniels named Will Barton. Barton scored 23 in the final game (Daniels scored 22). 

On a side note In the latest BS Report with Zach Lowe, Simmons mentioned that if Lin and Lillard match up it could be the ultimate no one guards each other matchup as both players alternate taking layups. This would be entertaining.

#10 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPip
                    • 1,298 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:53 AM

Obviously you're not a stat man. Lin doesn't have lateral quickness to be a superb defender, but he is a smart team defender, better than Lillard by a long shot.

I don't care if Lilard doesn't have bad defense youtube videos, he isn't nearly as big, or talented, or important as harden. When you're the best SG in the NBA, you will have a target on your back. Lillard is a great player, but he isn't even a top 5 PG. Trust me on this, harden won't be guarding Wes the entire time.

Troy Daniels was being called the most proficient shooter outside the NBA and he's an undrafted rookie. Watch him play and you will be amazed by the beauty of his shot. 

Don't compare the benches please it will only end badly for Portland as Myers Leonard will be brought. 

#11 Cooper

Cooper

Advanced Member

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPip
                      • 974 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:52 AM

Wes matthews is taller than beverley but isn't a real threat off the dribble, I would call it a draw in difficulty to guard. Both are going to get open looks because of Dame/LMA and Harden/Howard doing their thing but at the end of the day neither are going to beat you consistently. Portland's team D has been bad across the board they are too conservative for their lack rim protection. Howard and Asik cover a lot of the perimeter D mistakes for the rockets.  It doesn't matter if Daniels is better than Elliot Williams or Canaan/Mcollum because they won't play. Lin Asik plus a little bit of Dmo/Garcia/Hamilton trio is all that really matters for Houston. Mowill, Wright and TRob are likely going to be the only ones playing any significant minuets for the Blazers.

#12 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
                        • PipPipPipPipPip
                        • 1,298 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:32 AM

Oh we both knew that Daniel wouldn't play, we're just discussing players. The usual 9 man rotation in the playoffs will probably be the starting 5 plus lin, asik, demo, and either Hamilton, garcia, or daniels.

#13 08huangj

08huangj

• Members
                          • Pip
                          • 37 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:54 AM

It doesnt matter that Harden is barely a better defender (per advanced stats) than Lillard. Look at who Lillard will be guarding compared to who Harden has to guard. I think that Wes Matthews is tougher to guard than Beverley. There also isnt viral youtube videos about Lillards defense. Corey Brewer scored 50 plus on Harden and Mchales defensive stopper (Parsons). 

I wrote that the Blazers have the worse bench so Im not sure you were reading correctly. McCollum is also a third string player (the blazers only play Williams at back up PG/SG basically employing a 3 guard rotation for both positions combined (much like the Rockets).. Troy Daniels? The Blazers have there own Troy Daniels named Will Barton. Barton scored 23 in the final game (Daniels scored 22). 

On a side note In the latest BS Report with Zach Lowe, Simmons mentioned that if Lin and Lillard match up it could be the ultimate no one guards each other matchup as both players alternate taking layups. This would be entertaining.

Truth is: Harden has averaged 28 points and a lot of assists(Did not calculate) when Howard was gone on offense. Hopefully with Howard back in the playoffs, Harden won't have to carry Houston's offense as much. That would improve his defense. His defense has been above average in the few games before Howard's injury. Another reason is that Howard can help Harden cover up when he gets faked out or fails to intercept and steal the ball. I'd bet that Harden's defense will get a lot better in the playoffs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users