Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Drew in Abilene : (03 April 2014 - 04:13 PM) @Buckko I believe you mean happily mistaken!
@  feelingsuper... : (03 April 2014 - 04:11 PM) I try to not respond to comments that have zero substance but just in case people can't read Hollinger's Playoff Rankings, it's mathematically impossible to miss the playoffs.
@  Cooper : (03 April 2014 - 03:06 AM) that would be an epic collapse
@  Buckko : (03 April 2014 - 01:40 AM) I feel like you're sadly mistaken.
@  MrLobble : (03 April 2014 - 01:31 AM) i feel like we're going to be that team that misses the playoffs.... :(
@  feelingsuper... : (02 April 2014 - 01:50 PM) In the Beverley topic I posted a radio interview he did about his injury. It wouldn't post here.
@  feelingsuper... : (02 April 2014 - 10:59 AM) They lost to the Knicks at home prior to their win in Dallas. I can't stand the Warriors.
@  NickyK : (02 April 2014 - 08:57 AM) Did anyone see Warriors game? That is an exciting team!
@  Dan G : (02 April 2014 - 06:06 AM) Am I the only one that is actually starting to worry about losing our home court advantage? If we lose tonight in Toronto, we are more than likely looking at a four game losing streak since we gotta play OKC after that.
@  BrentYen : (02 April 2014 - 04:36 AM) I was hoping Harden in 4Q would at least go to vintage Harden mode tho.
@  rockets best... : (02 April 2014 - 03:46 AM) agreed
@  Drew in Abilene : (02 April 2014 - 03:44 AM) Hard to win with Howard, Beverley, and Jones on the bench.
@  Cooper : (02 April 2014 - 01:58 AM) Canaan Harden Garcia Parsons Casspi is an odd lineup
@  BrentYen : (02 April 2014 - 01:54 AM) I think the team will stop him if he does that, at least I hope so. It is his career on the line.
@  LMAOwais : (01 April 2014 - 10:26 PM) is anybody else concerned Beverly might be rushing back? I'm afraid his tenacity and determination might be a detriment here.
@  Ostrow : (31 March 2014 - 05:39 PM) Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 1m
After suffering a torn meniscus in right knee, Houston's Patrick Beverley won't need surgery and will return this season, sources tell Y.
@  feelingsuper... : (31 March 2014 - 03:34 AM) So good to see the Warriors lose at home. I despise that team and it's fans.
@  08huangj : (31 March 2014 - 03:31 AM) for Paul
@  08huangj : (31 March 2014 - 03:31 AM) In the meeting before this one, Bev controlled Paul pretty well:14 points, 9 assists
@  thenit : (30 March 2014 - 03:06 AM) Just deflating to get dominated by the clips during the season. With or without bev we just can't stop paul

Photo

The Rockets Daily - April 1, 2014

45 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 995 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:29 AM

New post: The Rockets Daily - April 1, 2014
    By: mitchell felker

No Knife - Patrick Beverley was right when he said he would play again this season.  Dr. James Andrews - usually a death sentence in situations like these - verified that Beverley would not need surgery to continue playing the rest of the season.  It's not totally clear if he will need any kind of procedure after the season or if simply wearing a protective brace will allow the injury to heal on its own.

Beverley will still need another week or two of rest before he can continue playing, so Isaiah Canaan will continue to play in his stead.  James Harden sounds comfortable with the rookie logging minutes for a title-contender, and there was some chatter in the forums that fans would even prefer to see Canaan start over the ever-embattled Jeremy Lin.  While Canaan showed some promise and definitely has the talent to be a player in this league, he played reckless and out of control for stretches of the Clippers game.  Turning him loose in a playoff series against Russell Westbrook or Tony Parker and Greg Poppovich would be like waving bar-b-que in front of a hungry wolf.  Point guard is the deepest position in the NBA right now - especially in the West - and it wouldn't take long for opposing coaches to figure out how to exploit a player with such little experience and capitalize on him.

As for Lin, he didn't play well in the Clippers game and that's been the cause of much of the Canaan-chatter.  Lin has been remarkably inconsistent since the All-Star break and "confidence" is usually the key word used when describing what's ailing him.  I never really bought into that theory but you could really see it in his game on Saturday night.  Multiple times Lin would beat his man and get into the lane, only to turn his back to the rim and look to pass with no real intent on trying to score.  Maybe that was DeAndre Jordan's doing or maybe he was just trying to stick to the Rockets' credo of slash-and-kick.  But whatever the case, Lin's best asset is his scoring and when he doesn't get buckets he just doesn't add much to the team. 

Back in the Linsanity days, Lin's primary role for the Knicks (who were playing without Melo for most of that run) was to attack the defense and score the ball.  We all know what happened when he was paired with the Houston Rockets and James Harden that following summer and that's where his crisis of confidence started.  It was only compounded when he lost his starting job to Patrick Beverley before this season and I think that's what's wrong with Lin now.

Playing with Harden, Lin appears to feel the need to be a true point guard.  But the fact is, that's just not who he is or why he was signed in the first place.  Lin is a scoring-guard that plays the point, and that's why I was such a proponent of him being the sixth-man.  Presumably, with the second unit (and without Harden) Lin would be left to do what he does best and attack the basket.  But he seems to be stuck between the two roles; his natural inclination is to drive to the basket, but after doing so he stops trying to score and starts looking for teammates once it's too late.

When the Rockets are sans Harden, Lin knows he has to be the perimeter scorer.  For proof of how good he can be when he is comfortable in his role, you only need to look at the six games that James Harden has missed that Lin started in his place.  In those contests the Rockets were 4-2 despite being without their best player thanks in large part to Lin, who averaged 20.5 ppg, 5.8 apg, 4.3 rpb and shot 51%FG and 47%3pt, not to mention he got to the line over six times a game and shot 84% from the stripe.  I don't know why this doesn't translate to his sixth-man role, but he has to figure out how to assert himself whenever he's in the game.

Patrick Beverley won the starting job because he is a better defender, not because he's a better point guard.  Lin just needs to remember what got him paid and play ball with his instincts, no matter who else is on the court.  Confidence is a fickle thing and maybe Lin won't ever find it coming off the bench, but he is Houston's best bet for pushing the Rockets to the next level, not a rookie.

*On a side note, how great was Bill Worrell's "Canaan-Ball" call on his first made three?  I bet he'd been sitting on that one since draft night.  He's the best.

Power Rankings - Marc Stein's newest power rankings have the Rockets flipping spots with the Miami Heat, falling to number five.

Quote:

As hard as the Rockets tried to find a palatable Omer Asik trade, going back to December, they were always torn about the idea. And now the Rockets have to be glad Asik bidders were turned off by Houston's high demands because Dwight Howard is still out. So they need their insurance policy.

Asik is the ultimate insurance policy, but what I thought was even more enlightening was a comment in Stein's blog post introducing the newest batch of rankings.

Quote:

A weekend of missed opportunities for the Memphis Grizzlies, Golden State Warriors and Phoenix Suns helped keep the Rockets in the top five and prevented Indy from dropping out of the top six.

All three teams threatening to push the Portland Trail Blazers further down in the standings had rough weekends and put a little more distance between them and the 5-seed.  I made a comment in the Shoutbox while watching Memphis v. Portland that it was weird rooting for the Blazers after cursing them for so much of the season.  But if they can hold off the scarier Warriors, Grizzlies and the long-time Rockets-killing Mavericks, Houston would have the most fragile first-round opponent not in the East.  While the Spurs are busy trying to score with Dirk or banging with Grit-and-Grind, Houston would be gifted Rockets-lite; a Blazers team that can score with the Rockets but who shouldn't have the talent to keep up in a seven-game series.  Go Blazers! (but only until April 13).

Getting Bored - In an interview with Dan Le Batard on his radio show, Daryl Morey gave a little insight that he might be losing interest in running a basketball team.

Quote:

When I was going through school, and even coming up with the Celtics, I never saw this as a long-term gig.  It was a hobby and certainly a challenge, but I always wanted more.  I wanted to look at real world problems and see if I could solve them.  And now I see what Nate Silver is doing with Five Thirty Eight and I can't help but think, 'Hey, that could be me'.  But the fact of the matter is, I have two years left on my deal with the Rockets and I will probably see those out to the end before I make any decisions.  I really, really want to win a title and rub it in Mark Cuban's smug face...call Sam Presti and tell him thanks for gift-wrapping the Beard.  Then maybe I'll solve the energy crisis or whatever is going on with Miley Cyrus.  Who knows.

The entire interview can be heard here, and is really worth a listen.  I'm just too grief-stricken to comment further.  Have a great Tuesday, everyone.

#2 Texan Ensemble

Texan Ensemble

• Members
    • Pip
    • 26 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:10 PM

Morey...say it ain't so. Losing Morey would be worse than when the Astros lost Jerry Hunsicker. Money talks though, and Carol Dawson has a lot of it and is not afraid to spend it.

#3 Mitchell Felker

Mitchell Felker

Rookie

• Members
      • PipPip
      • 63 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:27 PM

Morey...say it ain't so. Losing Morey would be worse than when the Astros lost Jerry Hunsicker. Money talks though, and Carol Dawson has a lot of it and is not afraid to spend it.

There's one....

#4 Alituro

Alituro

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 393 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:28 PM

Yeah that post by Morey was both enlightening and heartbreaking at the same time.

Canaan is still working through some early jitters I'm sure with his sudden and unexpected insertion into the rotation. We won't go far through the postseason with him logging big minutes though, nor will we with Lin taking Beverley's spot as a starter. However this is a good opportunity to give Canaan some burn before the playoffs start in the interest of preserving Beverley. He would also fare well in the second unit with Lin and Asik.

#5 Mitchell Felker

Mitchell Felker

Rookie

• Members
          • PipPip
          • 63 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:34 PM

Yeah that post by Morey was both enlightening and heartbreaking at the same time.

Canaan is still working through some early jitters I'm sure with his sudden and unexpected insertion into the rotation. We won't go far through the postseason with him logging big minutes though, nor will we with Lin taking Beverley's spot as a starter. However this is a good opportunity to give Canaan some burn before the playoffs start in the interest of preserving Beverley. He would also fare well in the second unit with Lin and Asik.

two

#6 Ur Fn wrong

Ur Fn wrong

• Members
            • Pip
            • 1 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:50 PM

Morey has made comments like this before regarding moving on to bigger and better things, just glad he gave us the time he did. You can youtube his discussions with Stephen Hawking regarding the Pi©=N<oll equations behind cold fusion and proper ways to raise children of celebrities. Really interesting stuff if you got the time...

#7 bladad

bladad

• Members
              • Pip
              • 20 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:18 PM

He would also fare well in the second unit with Lin and Asik.

Running Canaan at the 1 and Lin at the 2. Interedasting...

#8 Mitchell Felker

Mitchell Felker

Rookie

• Members
                • PipPip
                • 63 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:24 PM

That means no more Jordan Hamilton. Parsons runs with the second unit, so you'd have to make a decision. 

#9 Alituro

Alituro

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 393 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:41 PM

two

Nope.. on you both times.. Just keeping it alive..

#10 Alituro

Alituro

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 393 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:52 PM

That means no more Jordan Hamilton. Parsons runs with the second unit, so you'd have to make a decision. 

Parsons rests at some point, eh?

#11 Mitchell Felker

Mitchell Felker

Rookie

• Members
                      • PipPip
                      • 63 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:58 PM

He's 6th in minutes per game, so yes...but barely.  And McHale prefers a 9-man rotation. 

#12 Steven

Steven

• Members
                        • PipPipPipPipPip
                        • 1,526 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:17 PM

He should call Presti everyday and tell him thanks for gift wrapping Harden. He should call Cuban everyday asking for the availability of Dirk.

@Mitchell
                          Everything will be alright

@ Texan
                          Carol Dawson was the prior GM, Leslie Alexander is the current owner.

#13 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
                          • PipPipPip
                          • 233 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:27 PM

LOL. Great article and great April fools gag. Did you read Morey's mind?

#14 p453833

p453833

• Members
                            • Pip
                            • 4 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:15 PM

I'm surprised that some one finally figured out about the confidence was the culprit of Lin's inconsistence performance.  Just put yourself into Lin's situation, how much confidence do you have?   Confidence is the key to the player's instantaneous reaction when he dribble penetrated to the painted area but facing rigorously defense still scoring or making good pass, it's not the musle memory.

As of the 6th man part, my question is how could Lin be the 6th man while either Harden (38 MPG) and/or Beverley (31.1 MPG) is always on the court?  Everyone knew that Lin was not allowed to handle the ball when either of them is playing, I'll say he's the 7th man if there is a title like that.   But saying Beverley is a better defender is totally wrong, his style of defense is totally not NBA (I'll be embarassed if he is in my team), it will only cause injuries to the opponent or himself, and he is the worst defender in his team according to nba.com "Stats" "Sortable Player Stats" then "Player Tracking" "Defensive Impact", then add a "Team Filter" "Houston Rockets" (http://stats.nba.com...ilters=TeamAbbr*E*HOU), check the Opp FGP at Rim (the lower the number the better the defense), Beverley has the highest number among the players with regular minutes played since the beginning of this season.

#15 Cooper

Cooper

Advanced Member

• Members
                              • PipPipPipPip
                              • 961 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:52 PM

You can't measure defense of a pg with opp fgp at the rim when they are generally the smallest players on the court and have no responsiblity in rim protection. 

#16 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                                • 2,774 posts
                                • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:55 PM

I'm surprised that some one finally figured out about the confidence was the culprit of Lin's inconsistence performance.  Just put yourself into Lin's situation, how much confidence do you have?   Confidence is the key to the player's instantaneous reaction when he dribble penetrated to the painted area but facing rigorously defense still scoring or making good pass, it's not the musle memory.

As of the 6th man part, my question is how could Lin be the 6th man while either Harden (38 MPG) and/or Beverley (31.1 MPG) is always on the court?  Everyone knew that Lin was not allowed to handle the ball when either of them is playing, I'll say he's the 7th man if there is a title like that.   But saying Beverley is a better defender is totally wrong, his style of defense is totally not NBA (I'll be embarassed if he is in my team), it will only cause injuries to the opponent or himself, and he is the worst defender in his team according to nba.com "Stats" "Sortable Player Stats" then "Player Tracking" "Defensive Impact", then add a "Team Filter" "Houston Rockets" (http://stats.nba.com...ilters=TeamAbbr*E*HOU), check the Opp FGP at Rim (the lower the number the better the defense), Beverley has the highest number among the players with regular minutes played since the beginning of this season.

OK, let's do this.  I went and filtered as you described.  You are correct that Beverley is the worst starter and is allowing a conversion rate of 52.9% at the rim.....on 1.9 tries per game (31.5 mpg).  That means Patrick Beverley is allowing the elite PG's of the NBA 1 conversion at the rim per game.  Now, that may be bad defense in some people's eyes, but for me that gets an A++ grade.

Now, Mr. Lin is giving up a 46.7% conversion rate at the rim on 2.9 tries per game (29 mpg).  That is 1 extra shot at the rim allowed with fewer minutes played and often against back-up pg's.  It's important to tell the whole story when creating a narrative.

Let's do some math!

Beverley: 1.9 x 2 (point value of shots at rim)= 3.8 ---> 3.8 x .529 (allowed fg%)= 2.01 ppg allowed at the rim

Lin: 2.9 x 2= 5.8 ---> 5.8 x .467= 2.71 ppg allowed at the rim.

I will remind that Lin also commits more shooting fouls than Bev. 

Patrick Beverley does not play NBA defense?  Well, someone should shoot an e-mail to McHale or Tweet something to Daryl Morey and let them know.  I'd venture to say Kevin McHale alone has more basketball knowledge than the entirety of this forum's membership and if he says Beverley can play NBA defense then I'm going to believe him.  It helps that the statistical data does in fact support that decision--not the other way around.  Fact is, of all the perimeter players with regular minutes Lin gives up the most attempts at the rim.  A few percentage points does not compensate for the higher volume.

While the conversion rate matters, I believe the number of attempts is equally important.  Every time a wing player beats his man and gets to the rim is a chance for Dwight to pick up a foul--which can put him on the bench--which is not a useful place for him.  :P

So, let's recap.  Patrick Beverley (who now has a reputation for hurting players after 1 incident with Westbrook in 94 games played)--that Patrick Beverley averages one field goal at the rim allowed per game against the starting point guards of the NBA.  Now, I will not neglect to mention Dwight Howard's part in this equation--surely that matters--but the fact of the matter is he is doing his job of keeping these guys away from the restricted area.

Terrence Jones is the naughty one.  He is giving up 6.8 tries at the rim and allowing 51% to go in.  That is 6.97 ppg.

What is most likely is that penetration is happening against both and Dwight/Omer are deterring shots which lead to dishes to the PF who has slid behind Jones and gets an easy dunk.  I'd say that explains most of these numbers.

#17 Dayak

Dayak

Rookie

• Members
                                • PipPip
                                • 78 posts
                                • LocationBorneo Island

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:04 PM

Come on, Bev is a better defender than Lin and he is the best fit to play alongside Harden. Bev played against starting PGs and Lin played again backup PGs, then you should't compare their defensive impact . Lin isn't a six man, he is a backup PG/SG for this team and 25m/3 years is too much for a role player.

#18 Mitchell Felker

Mitchell Felker

Rookie

• Members
                                • PipPip
                                • 63 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:28 PM

LOL. Great article and great April fools gag. Did you read Morey's mind?

Morey followed me on Twitter this morning.  I guess he liked the gag. 

#19 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
                                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                                  • 3,309 posts
                                  • Locationhouston

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:42 PM

@JG

get-um JG :lol: some of these attempts to manipulate the stats show just how far some Lin fans will go to shine a positive light on their golden boy.

@Mitchell Felker

while I found your article entertaining, I totally disagree with your outlook on Lin. I do agree confidence is part of Lin's problem, but in my opinion players who continually struggle with confidence are mentally weak and can not be depended on. we have tried everything. Lin has started, come off the bench, played PG/SG you name it, yet he has been unable to establish consistent play in any of these roles. at some point we have to stop holding his hand. he's in the big boy league. he puts up or shuts up, there is no middle ground. either produce or get the hell out of the way and let someone else try. that's my line of thinking when it comes to Canaan replacing Lin. Lin has proved to me that he can't get the job done. let someone else try..........and Canaan is next in line. I agree we have not seen enough of Canaan to make a judgment on his ability to help us this year, however it's about time we get busy trying to find out. I find it disturbing resting our playoffs hopes on Lin's inconsistent play. Canaan may not be the answer......it has yet to be determined, but Lin for sure isn't the answer. so what are we really risking then? I remember another rookie PG who stepped up in the playoffs...........without his contribution we have no championships........Sam Cassel. as I told Drew in another thread I understand the line of thinking of posters who are afraid of change.....especially when it comes to the unknown. right now Canaan represents the unknown. however we can't just stick our heads in the dirt pretending Lin will work his problems out. we have to establish a plan B attack. my hope is that Beverley will return and render this conversation unimportant, however we don't know yet how much he will be able to give us. that makes finding out what we have in Canaan a top priority.  

Edited by rockets best fan, 01 April 2014 - 08:44 PM.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#20 Incubus2803

Incubus2803

Rookie

• Members
                                  • PipPip
                                  • 67 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:12 PM

"Lin has started, come off the bench, played PG/SG you name it"

Couldnt that be part of the problem?  He hasnt gotten to play with Asik for most of the season, he hasn't been in the same role for more than a couple games at a time, it seems.  He just needs to log minutes with "his" rotation.

And as for Cassell, he played over a thousand minutes his rookie year and even then didnt perform that well.  His contributions to that team are a little overblown bc of how his career turned out.  Canaan on the other hand, hasnt even played 100 minutes yet.  You cant throw someone like that into the fire of the playoffs

I realize youre over Lin, but youre letting your emotions best you.  Hes not as bad as you want him to be and his ceiling is one of the highest on the team. Theyre going to need him to succeed especially since he's probably going to be on the team next year. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users