Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  jorgeaam : (24 March 2014 - 04:54 AM) Wow, 76ers got 24 game losing streak, record is 26, and they've got SA and the Rockets next, seem poised to break the record
@  Drew in Abilene : (24 March 2014 - 04:01 AM) 4-5 Seed match-up between Houston and either Portland or Golden State would be one of the most entertaining first round series, on paper at least.
@  Buckko : (23 March 2014 - 11:55 PM) Watching March Madness, I'm more curious with who Morey might steal in the 2nd round with the nick's pick rather than the rocket's own 1st.
@  thenit : (22 March 2014 - 01:45 AM) Wow Russ with another knee injury against raptors.
@  bladad : (21 March 2014 - 08:30 PM) Those stats will tend to happen when you play the overmatched d league team team known as the detroit pistons.
@  feelingsuper... : (21 March 2014 - 02:20 AM) Good to see Harden and company take care of business tonight while Dwight is out, solid win.
@  redfaithful : (21 March 2014 - 02:19 AM) 36 assists for Rockets tonight, what's the season high?
@  thenit : (20 March 2014 - 04:21 AM) Wow happy for brooks, he had 27 6 17 playing 47 min tonight
@  MrLobble : (17 March 2014 - 02:37 AM) crazy that last sunday after the indiana and portland win, i was on cloud 9... now, i'm on cloud -9 ha
@  BrentYen : (17 March 2014 - 02:25 AM) IMO, it is good that they peaked once a week ago. Now they can go back sorting things out and be ready for playoff.
@  MrLobble : (17 March 2014 - 02:20 AM) hopefully, we can get back on track tomorrow!
@  MrLobble : (17 March 2014 - 02:12 AM) *nice
@  MrLobble : (17 March 2014 - 02:12 AM) yeah, totally agree... wasn't sure why we went with that rotation... wish we could have saw more of J. Hamilton... his athleticism and size would have been on defense
@  BrentYen : (17 March 2014 - 01:35 AM) If that is true, you should blame McHale putting him on the floor, not Lin. :P
@  MrLobble : (17 March 2014 - 12:19 AM) Jeremy Lin cost us the game... his defense down the stretch was dismal...
@  miketheodio : (16 March 2014 - 11:57 PM) still don't know what the rockets are at this point
@  Dan G : (16 March 2014 - 10:14 PM) This game pisses me off so much. The DoG call, the technical, the illegal screen on James and most of all the absolute poor shot selection by the Rockets at the end let this one slip away.
@  Opasido : (16 March 2014 - 10:11 PM) Overall just lost the game due to a mix of disgusting officiating and an absolute poop offense
@  Opasido : (16 March 2014 - 10:10 PM) 4 technicals on the Rockets. 2 three seconds on Howard, 1 DoG on Howard, 1 Technical on Beverley.
@  miketheodio : (16 March 2014 - 10:07 PM) refs weren't any help, but scoreless in the last 4~ minutes... can't do that.

Photo

Howard's injury - a blessing in disguise?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 redfaithful

redfaithful

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:17 PM

After Sunday's defeat at Miami, Howard was unable to walk due to a cyst on his left ankle that had been a bother for two and a half weeks, resulting in a DNP on Monday. He subsequently had the cyst removed and fluid drained, but another absence is expected Thursday. As long as he's sidelined, Omer Asik will take on center in the starting five.

Taken from ESPN player page (http://espn.go.com/n...4/dwight-howard), Fantasy Basketball section.

Assuming the medical problem goes away in a few days with no long term effects, this seems to help the team towards the playoffs in two significant areas. First - Asik gets heavy minutes, getting back in form and sync with the other players. And... Howard gets some rest days which could be crucial a month from now.

#2 thenit

thenit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:05 PM

I would agree as long as the injury doesn't last longer than a couple of games.

#3 feelingsupersonic

feelingsupersonic

Officer

• Moderators
    • 1,750 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:44 PM

I think I would be okay if they held him out extra time and brought him back for Philadelphia as a warm up against the Clippers. That would give him about 10 days off which would be perfect in my eyes. The Rockets should be able to win those games without him and I don't think they would jeopardize their seed. My guess though is that he is coming back before, he's quoted as saying he wants to be back for the Cleveland game by Jonathan Feigen.

#4 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 965 posts
    • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:35 AM

Taken from ESPN player page (http://espn.go.com/n...4/dwight-howard), Fantasy Basketball section.

Assuming the medical problem goes away in a few days with no long term effects, this seems to help the team towards the playoffs in two significant areas. First - Asik gets heavy minutes, getting back in form and sync with the other players. And... Howard gets some rest days which could be crucial a month from now.

I agree - Asik definitely looked much better for the extra minutes he has been getting recently. More than any other player on the team the offensive side of basketball does not come naturally to him, and I think it will take quite a lot of court time to get back into the rhythm he was able to show last year.

ST

#5 08huangj

08huangj

• Members
    • Pip
    • 30 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:05 AM

I think I would be okay if they held him out extra time and brought him back for Philadelphia as a warm up against the Clippers. That would give him about 10 days off which would be perfect in my eyes. The Rockets should be able to win those games without him and I don't think they would jeopardize their seed. My guess though is that he is coming back before, he's quoted as saying he wants to be back for the Cleveland game by Jonathan Feigen.

Turns out that Dwight sat out in the Cleveland game. I don't think that the Rockets should sit out Howard in the Bobcats game, though. Look at the Blazers getting blown out by the Bobcats at Charlotte. Look at Al Jefferson blowing Robin Lopez up. Howard should be back to defend Jefferson, control the boards, and dominate the post. I'm worried that they'll lose the match without Howard.

P.S: I know Asik is a really good defender

#6 Cooper

Cooper

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPipPip
      • 937 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:32 AM

I'd rather have asik bang around in the post with Big Al, than a recovering Howard. The cats are still a very beatable team if Howard is unable to play.

#7 feelingsupersonic

feelingsupersonic

Officer

• Moderators
        • 1,750 posts
        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:01 AM

I agree Cooper. Let Asik make Big Al work for his 30 points, he will get his. Work on shutting down the others and the Rockets should have no problem with the Bobcats. Asik may face Duncan and Aldridge in the post season so Jefferson will be a good gauge for McHale to see where Asik is at. This is the short term benefit of having Asik backup Howard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users