Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Buckko : (12 December 2013 - 06:55 AM) I hope we can play CP for Portland and GS, then rest him for Sacromento. We need the Ws for this month.
@  RollingWave : (12 December 2013 - 04:00 AM) I think once Lin is back resting Parsons would be more doable, we REALLY struggle without a secondary player maker
@  2016Champions : (11 December 2013 - 08:02 AM) The smart thing would be to rest, but I really, really, want a win against Portland. Then we have a crazy 8 games in 11 days coming up in the schedule. Omer Asik for Thaddeus Young continues to make sense.
@  RollingWave : (11 December 2013 - 12:35 AM) I'm worried, this 3 day off came at a good time, if Lin is back you might want to rest Parsons on some nights against lesser opponents
@  2016Champions : (10 December 2013 - 10:35 PM) Is anyone else really worried about Parsons back spasms? We saw what they did to McGrady's career.
@  RollingWave : (09 December 2013 - 09:42 AM) Well really though Masai's award really just belongs to Dolan's idiocy
@  2016Champions : (09 December 2013 - 09:19 AM) That $15 million over 5 years contract Toronto gave Masai Ujiri was well worth it.
@  2016Champions : (09 December 2013 - 09:18 AM) Then Masai leaves Denver for Toronto and immediately ships Bargnani for Knicks 2016 1st round pick. I'm surprised he got more than a 2nd round pick let alone another potential lottery pick. What a genius! Dumping Rudy Gay's contract ($17.3 million this season, $19.5 million next season)completes the hat trick.
@  RollingWave : (09 December 2013 - 09:17 AM) on top of picks, one of which now look like a top 10 for sure in a great draft, maybe even top 5.
@  RollingWave : (09 December 2013 - 09:16 AM) Well no they couldn't have signed Melo due to cap , but really they literally gave them their entire team's asset, it's like us trading Lin / Parsons / Jones for Melo.
@  2016Champions : (09 December 2013 - 09:10 AM) I think this Masai Ujiri guy could be the first GM to win back to back Executive of the Year awards, and for two different teams. That Melo to New York trade was incredible because Melo was on his contract year, so New York could have just signed him for free in free agency. Nuggets really striked gold with that Knicks 2014 1st round pick.
@  RollingWave : (09 December 2013 - 08:47 AM) If the Knicks end up with the #1 pick (to Denver) they HAVE to stage the draft somewhere else for safety concerns right? :P
@  rocketrick : (09 December 2013 - 08:46 AM) Rudy Gay being traded to Sacramento Kings
@  2016Champions : (09 December 2013 - 04:14 AM) Lol
@  thenit : (09 December 2013 - 12:45 AM) Lol Dolan is so bad that it's plausible
@  2016Champions : (08 December 2013 - 10:11 PM) What if the Knicks are secretly tanking not realizing they don't have a 1st, that's plausible, right?
@  2016Champions : (08 December 2013 - 06:22 PM) I'm reading some hilarious tweets ridiculing the Knicks. Poor Knicks fans lol
@  Dayak : (05 December 2013 - 06:04 AM) J.R. Harden, lol.
@  HazeWinkle : (05 December 2013 - 05:09 AM) @feeling super he had only 15 pts 4-11 shooting which could be put on jh or km he had 5 to and he got blocked about 5 times by guys not known for their defense
@  thenit : (05 December 2013 - 04:35 AM) linsanity, hard yo get that label off, anyone with that king of usage rate has high turnovers including harden, Kobe etc

Photo

The Rockets Daily - December 9, 2013

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 727 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:15 AM

New post: The Rockets Daily - December 9, 2013
    By: John Eby

All That Power - Houston climbed to 5th in Marc Stein's ESPN Power Rankings, one spot higher than (gasp) San Antonio. The committee of one writes:

Quote:

The sense I get, as noted in this Stein Line Live post, is that neither Houston nor Portland is very interested in exploring an Omer Asik trade at the moment. But the Rockets visit the Blazers on Thursday ... so brace yourself for a fresh round of Asik-for-Robin Lopez speculation regardless.

At the time of this writing, Houston is 5th in the Hollinger Rankings as well, so the consistency gods are smiling on ESPN. But wait! Here comes NBA.com and John Schuhmann to take our beautiful power ranking uniformity and blow it all to hell. He ranks Houston 6th:

Quote:

Pace: 99.0 (4), OffRtg: 107.8 (3), DefRtg: 100.0 (8), NetRtg: +7.8 (4)
    James Harden was a victim of some brutal blow-bys earlier in the week (see here and here, for example), but has since vowed to actually try on defense. And the Rockets' D was so good in wins against the Warriors and Magic over the weekend that it didn't matter that their bench shot 2-for-21 from 3-point range. Of course, that kind of shooting might provide more motivation to get something for Omer Asik.

I'm really hoping for a power ranking hat-trick (the same ranking from Stein, Hollinger's computer and Schuhmann) before the end of the year.

On The Block - Kevin Pelton (ESPN Insider) ranks the top 11 trade candidates in the NBA. Not surprisingly, Omer Asik is one of them. He writes:

Quote:

At this point, it's a question of when and not if Asik will be dealt. Our Marc Stein reported Friday that the Rockets are in a hurry to make a trade by Dec. 19 so they can repackage players they acquire before the deadline. I broke down players Houston could get for Asik last month. Since then, Terrence Jones' solid play as a starter (his net rating of plus-11.0 points per 100 possessions on the floor is second to Omri Casspi on the team) has made it more reasonable that the Rockets might target a quality wing defender rather than a stretch 4. Ideally, the player Houston ultimately acquires would be able to fill both roles.

Interestingly, the only player who may fit that wing defender/stretch 4 mold among the 11 players Pelton mentions is Luol Deng, who I'm guessing the Bulls aren't going to trade away just to get back their old backup center. Asik is mentioned as a potential target for the Hawks as they seek to get rid of Paul Millsap, but if Terrence Jones continues to play they way he has been, you have to wonder how much the Rockets will be looking for a stretch 4 who doesn't help with their defense on the wings.

JUSTICE!!! - Via The Point Forward, Marresse Speights has been issued a warning by the league for flopping against Dwight Howard last week on this play:

'Bout time. About ten more of these warnings and we can get back to watching Dwight Howard playing basketball instead of trying desperately to make sure his massive shoulders don't touch another human.

Contributor Needed - I’m still taking applications for someone to replace me as news editor, which mostly involves writing the Daily. I’ll be writing less starting around Christmas. Email me at [email protected] if you’re interested.

#2 Opasido

Opasido

• Members
    • Pip
    • 6 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:26 AM

Wishful thinking - Asik to Atlanta for Korver

Dunno if salaries match up. Maybe a 2nd rounder thrown in either way

#3 2016Champions

2016Champions

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 2,995 posts
      • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:16 AM

Wishful thinking - Asik to Atlanta for Korver

Dunno if salaries match up. Maybe a 2nd rounder thrown in either way

Just kidding, Kyle Korver would actually be a great fit. Hawks just need to throw in a 2nd round pick or a lottery protected 1st. 

Edited by 2016Champions, 10 December 2013 - 07:25 AM.

"We're not satisfied with where we're at, but we're optimistic on where things will go from here" - Daryl Morey

#4 Steven

Steven

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,217 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:48 AM

Rockets get Greg Monroe and Charlie Villineva
        76s get Omer Asik
        Pistons get Thaddius Young and Greg Smith.

Villineva is money to make the trade work. $8.6M in expiring contract someone might want at the deadline.

Edited by Steven, 10 December 2013 - 07:49 AM.

#5 2016Champions

2016Champions

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 2,995 posts
        • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:55 AM

Just kidding, Kyle Korver would actually be a great fit. Hawks just need to throw in a 2nd round pick or a lottery protected 1st. 

Actually, Hawks probably need to throw in more than that. Asik's value is higher than most people think, and we all know how good Morey is as his job so I expect nothing less than full value in return. Kyle Korver is definitely underrated though, he's a bit of a one-trick-pony but the one trick he does just happens to be a very valuable one.

To get an idea of how efficient Kyle Korver's 52% from from 3 really is, you would have to shoot 78% on 2's to be equally as efficient. 

Edited by 2016Champions, 10 December 2013 - 07:59 AM.

"We're not satisfied with where we're at, but we're optimistic on where things will go from here" - Daryl Morey

#6 rocketrick

rocketrick

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPipPip
        • 995 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:06 PM

Rockets get Greg Monroe and Charlie Villineva
          76s get Omer Asik
          Pistons get Thaddius Young and Greg Smith.

Villineva is money to make the trade work. $8.6M in expiring contract someone might want at the deadline.

Hmmm, interesting.

However, can either Monroe or Villanueva shoot effectively from outside to stretch the defense away from D12?

#7 redfaithful

redfaithful

Rookie

• Members
          • PipPip
          • 67 posts
          • LocationIsrael

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:51 PM

Jones is the stretch 4 who plays with Howard. Whoever comes as Asik's replacement in any deal will probably play most minutes when Howard is on the bench, so defense and close to the basket offense are the main requirements.

#8 Steven

Steven

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,217 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:45 PM

Hmmm, interesting.

However, can either Monroe or Villanueva shoot effectively from outside to stretch the defense away from D12?

Don't know. Mine trade is more along the lines of get the best talent now, then flip them at the deadline. Monroe and Drummond don't mesh well in Detriot, so Young would be a better fit for them. Monroe is in the last year of his rookie deal, so he is going to be a RFA. Come February, people will know if they are in the playoff races better then now, so they might be willing to offer more then, then they are now.

#9 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
            • 2,212 posts
            • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:48 PM

So many Asik trades.  Redfaithful's post above makes a point that many don't seem to fully grasp.  We have starters at every position.  This makes getting value for Asik tricky.  We can't bring in equal talent without shipping out a starter because that's what he's worth.  If we do, we likely wind up with another disgruntled player.  If we start the new player who gets benched?  Parsons?  Jones?  Do we really want to trade Parsons or Jones?  I think that would be a mistake.

What we are seeing is the negative aspect of Morey's game plan.  He acquired too much talent and there is not enough court time for all of it.  We have 7 starting caliber players on our roster (Lin, Bev, Harden, Parsons, Jones, Asik, and Howard).  Unlike Lin, Omer is not interested in being a key member of the second unit (allegedly).  Thus, the problem is too many starters; yet, most trade scenarios involve bringing in more starters. 

I get that Asik has value, but we cannot shoot ourselves in the foot here.  Getting max value is the wrong way to look at this trade.  We need to shift our thoughts to making the smart move.  Greed will get us in trouble here.  On paper, whatever deal winds up getting done may appear to be a bad one for us.  That doesn't matter.  We've got a shot at a San Antonio-like run here.  As Harden and Howard trend down Parsons and Jones will be peaking.  Trading Asik for a nice role player and a pick or two will be just fine because it's the smart move.  Personally, I still think keeping him is the best move, but that's not what appears to be happening.

#10 Cooper

Cooper

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPipPip
            • 787 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:49 PM

Monroe would be a great pick up, Detroit screwed him when they signed smith. He's an all star caliber big. Not a great fit with Dwight but he can pass well and shoot a solid percentage from mid range plus he has good hands and a growing post game of his own so whoever was guarding him couldn't leave to double Dwight as much as we saw with asik.

#11 Buckko

Buckko

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPipPip
              • 922 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:15 PM

JG, harden is younger than parsons.

#12 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators