Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  rocketrick : (04 December 2013 - 05:20 AM) I don't ever remember Pop or Phil benching star players at the end of a close game
@  timetodienow... : (04 December 2013 - 01:23 AM) That's what Pop does. I think he's going to have to find ways to push their buttons like Pop and Phil do in order to win a chip.
@  rocketrick : (04 December 2013 - 12:45 AM) So Coach McHale should discipline Harden, D12 or both when they fail to follow the plan? Take them out of the game?
@  timetodienow... : (03 December 2013 - 11:09 PM) Who is that on? Mchale for not forcing the PnR or Dwight for refusing to do it? With Mchale's refusals to combat Harden's ISOs, I'd have to go with Mchale's lack of discipline.
@  2016Champions : (03 December 2013 - 10:19 PM) The reason his percentages are down are because he's posting up more now, where as he was mainly a pick and roll guy in Orlando.
@  2016Champions : (03 December 2013 - 10:18 PM) Dwight's numbers per 36 are actually about the same as his per 36 in Orlando, so his numbers aren't down as much as it looks on the surface.
@  Sir Thursday : (03 December 2013 - 11:39 AM) I think there is definitely something to the notion that Howard doesn't look like he has the same devastating explosiveness around the rim anymore. Probably still too early to come to any hard conclusions about whether he can still be an elite finisher there though.
@  jorgeaam : (03 December 2013 - 07:32 AM) Well, I think Dwight won't be posting 20-10 every night, but he should be able to finish more, I've seen him missing a lot of shots that he would have made in Orlando, I think it is more of a confidence issue with him, because in the Hakeem training videos he looked smooth.
@  RollingWave : (03 December 2013 - 06:11 AM) I do wonder if his finishing decline is a thing or a fluke
@  RollingWave : (03 December 2013 - 06:11 AM) he is getting a smaller % of touches, especially in terms of plays strickly ran for him, than he did in Oralndo
@  RollingWave : (03 December 2013 - 06:10 AM) FWIW, it is very unlikely for Dwight to really put up 20 per game points wise with our offensive system
@  RollingWave : (03 December 2013 - 06:09 AM) Meh, there's a good deal of things that points in the right direction for Dwight and some that aren't, let's see how it evens out towards later in the season
@  HazeWinkle : (03 December 2013 - 05:02 AM) espically if this team has a chance at being a top 4 team and make at least 60% from the free throw line.
@  HazeWinkle : (03 December 2013 - 05:01 AM) when you get paid what dwight gets paid Dwight needs to get 20-10 every game.
@  2016Champions : (03 December 2013 - 04:54 AM) I'm perfectly happy with a 90% Dwight, we just need to run the PnR more
@  2016Champions : (03 December 2013 - 04:52 AM) How far is Dwight from his old self? Because some of those alley oops he caught were pretty impressive
@  HazeWinkle : (03 December 2013 - 04:17 AM) Dwight Howard where is your old self because lately you have shown the city of houston why alot of people think you are overrated and overpayed
@  jorgeaam : (03 December 2013 - 04:10 AM) Oh God, where's the D?
@  Dayak : (03 December 2013 - 04:01 AM) I really miss Parsons and Lin right now.
@  timetodienow... : (03 December 2013 - 03:28 AM) Tim Duncan is balling. It took a while. But his next game will be a DNP, so whatever.

Photo

Houston Rockets: 112, San Antonio Spurs: 106 - Beard's Gonna Beard

26 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 700 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:35 AM

New post: Houston Rockets: 112, San Antonio Spurs: 106 - Beard's Gonna Beard
    By: John Eby

This was, without question, the best win for Houston in this young season. Houston held on to win on the road against the best team in the conference despite blowing more than a 20 point lead. A few thoughts:

Moment of the Game - With Houston down 103-106 with less than a minute to play, James Harden drilled a three pointer to tie. A few seconds later, Patrick Beverley squirted out from a crowd of 7-footers to tip the ball in and give the team a 2-point lead, and the Rockets never looked back.

MVP - James Harden. He dropped an All-Star line of 31 points (on 19 shots), 7 rebounds and 6 assists, but somehow remained invisible most of the game until drilling the game-tying three. All hail the conquering hero-baller.

That Was...Bizarre - During San Antonio's final inbounds play of the first half, the Spurs had to inbound the ball from right in front of Houston's bench. Kevin McHale, who apparently caught something from his recent encounter with Jason Kidd, decided to stand so close to the inbounder (I can't recall who it was) that the Spurs were forced to throw an awkward three-quarter-court pass. The incident sent Greg Popovich over the edge, and he was whistled for a technical for giving one of the refs and earful before his assistants shepherded him toward the tunnel. To cap it all off, James Harden whiffed the technical free throw at the start of the third quarter.

X-Factor - Terrence Jones. The Katana set a new career high with 16 rebounds, many of which were hotly contested. He also nailed a three and made one of the wildest baskets of the game on an and-1 in which he was undercut by Manu Ginobili while going for a dunk, and somehow managed to land on his feet.

Ouch - Within the last few seconds of the game, Chandler Parsons went down with what appeared to be back spasms, and Francisco Garcia's knee collided with Tim Duncan's knee brace. Garcia shook it off and finished the game, but Parsons' back has been nagging him all season. Hopefully he can get back to 100 percent.

#2 Buckko

Buckko

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 868 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:43 AM

<br /><br /><p>It was Duncan who was the inbounder.</p>

#3 kidnextdoor

kidnextdoor

• Members
      • Pip
      • 2 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:02 AM

Is it just me or was the officiating bad in this game?

#4 feelingsupersonic

feelingsupersonic

Officer

• Moderators
        • 1,393 posts
        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:19 AM

What a game! It seemed to me to be a glimpse into the future. I thought the Spurs would be able to score down the stretch but the Rockets actually had some impressive defensive stands. I was glad to see Harden get that block.

#5 Jeby

Jeby

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 190 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:19 AM

<br /><br /><p>It was Duncan who was the inbounder.</p>

Yep, just saw that on the highlights and fixed it. Also, it was Leonard who undercut Jones, not Ginobili. Apologies.

One more thing about Harden: Leonard was a non-factor all game long, and Harden's defense had a lot to do with that.
          "Assets" -- Daryl Morey

#6 Jeby

Jeby

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 190 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:28 AM

<br /><br /><p>Pop's post-game interview: http://www.nba.com/s...0popmov-3059680<br />
            You're welcome.</p>

#7 2016Champions

2016Champions

Veteran

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 2,935 posts
            • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:29 AM

And there was also the hack a Dwight which failed again, I'm surprised Pop tried that horrible tactic instead of relying on the elite defense of his starting line up

"We're not satisfied with where we're at, but we're optimistic on where things will go from here" - Daryl Morey

#8 David

David

• Members
            • Pip
            • 7 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:25 AM

I'm also curious why teams keep doing the terrible hack-a-dwight strategy -- but also curious why the Rockets don't give him the ball purposely with under 2 mins if it's so bad :)

#9 2016Champions

2016Champions

Veteran

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 2,935 posts
              • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:34 AM

I'm also curious why teams keep doing the terrible hack-a-dwight strategy -- but also curious why the Rockets don't give him the ball purposely with under 2 mins if it's so bad :)

Didn't they? I could have sworn they were intentionally inbounding the ball to Dwight after the 2 minute mark and Spurs chose not to foul, even the commentators said something about it.

"We're not satisfied with where we're at, but we're optimistic on where things will go from here" - Daryl Morey

#10 Kiss_of_Death_Clutch_City

Kiss_of_Death_Clutch_City

• Members
              • Pip
              • 6 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:34 AM

Loved it!! Man what a fun ride that was. Harden showed some serious fortitude with the and-1 and the 3 pointer to tie it at 106. Big ups Beard! Katana played like a beast, and D12 shook off the Hack-A-Howard. That's what we needed. 

#11 Kiss_of_Death_Clutch_City

Kiss_of_Death_Clutch_City

• Members
                • Pip
                • 6 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:36 AM

Didn't they? I could have sworn they were intentionally inbounding the ball to Dwight after the 2 minute mark and Spurs chose not to foul, even the commentators said something about it.

They weren't inbounding to him really, but they were throwing inlet passes to him in the post.

#12 Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 148 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:40 AM

A bit of perspective--last year's 18th game of the season was also at San Antonio.  We lost 114-92, which dropped us to 9-9.  Now we are 13-5, having won 8 of 9, and are clearly one of the top teams in the league.  Six guys played in that game who are no longer on the team--Delfino, Patterson, Douglas, Cook, Morris, and Aldrich.  Casspi, Howard, Beverley, Brooks, and Garcia were not on our roster, and T. Jones played all of 8 minutes in last year's route.  It is just remarkable all of the roster turnover.  It is also remarkable how quickly we have jelled into one of the best team's in the league.

#13 miketheodio

miketheodio

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 212 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:47 AM

this is the type of game i was waiting for to judge the rockets.

#14 rocketrick

rocketrick

Advanced Member

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPip
                      • 953 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:54 AM

<br /><br /><p>Pop's post-game interview: http://www.nba.com/s...0popmov-3059680<br />
                        You're welcome.</p>

Pop stated in the post game interview that Harden's 3 was the shot of the game.

#15 Buckko

Buckko

Advanced Member

• Members
                        • PipPipPipPip
                        • 868 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:37 AM

The officiating was terrible, I thought towards the end that the refs were going to give the game to the spurs.

#16 CanSayNOTC

CanSayNOTC

• Members
                          • Pip
                          • 5 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:11 AM

this is the type of game i was waiting for to judge the rockets.

3 more games with the Spurs and I have a feeling we'll need Parson's back, Harden's feet, Lin's knees, and maybe even Dwight's former self. God I hope they nurse those injuries and stay healthy

Be gentle. I am here to learn.

#17 Buckko

Buckko

Advanced Member

• Members
                            • PipPipPipPip
                            • 868 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:35 AM

I hope they set Parsons out for the jazz game, he deserves it.

Edited by Buckko, 01 December 2013 - 09:35 AM.

#18 Dayak

Dayak

• Members
                              • Pip
                              • 11 posts
                              • LocationBorneo Island

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:31 AM

Best win in this season so far. Hate how we were losing the lead, but at least we still won it.

#19 SadLakerFan

SadLakerFan

• Members
                              • Pip
                              • 14 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:22 PM

For a team like the Spurs, Hack a Dwight is a bad strategy, because it takes an elite defensive team out of its rhythm. I suspect we won't see it again from Pop.

#20 2016Champions

2016Champions

Veteran

• Members
                                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                                • 2,935 posts
                                • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 01 December 2013 - 02:41 PM

They weren't inbounding to him really, but they were throwing inlet passes to him in the post.

Yep, I went back to watch it and you're right, it's a pass to Dwight in the post and Spurs didn't foul.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users