Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  bboley24 : (17 October 2013 - 12:54 AM) AB has game
@  bboley24 : (17 October 2013 - 12:54 AM) We have GOT to keep abrooks on this team
@  bboley24 : (17 October 2013 - 12:47 AM) DMO is smelling like poo
@  bboley24 : (17 October 2013 - 12:47 AM) anytime someone screws up... its "jetlag"
@  bboley24 : (17 October 2013 - 12:46 AM) This game is hilarious
@  2016Champions : (15 October 2013 - 06:51 PM) Think of it like Lebron and Wade. Heat probably would have lost the series if Wade didn't step up in game 6.
@  2016Champions : (15 October 2013 - 06:47 PM) Lin is not the type of guy who puts up empty numbers. When Lin plays well, everyone plays well, because like Harden he makes people around him better.
@  Richards : (15 October 2013 - 05:02 PM) Howard and Harden taking more shots, I don't see Lin (and Parsons) put up more than they had last year. But his PER would be better with more asst and less TO and efficient shooting.
@  BrentYen : (15 October 2013 - 04:39 PM) So....I doubt he will put up All-star number in a sense that his role does not requires it.
@  BrentYen : (15 October 2013 - 04:15 PM) To ROX, I think Lin need to be efficient in terms of making sure the ball is flying around (lol). Numbers probably is not the most important thing to his role.
@  2016Champions : (15 October 2013 - 04:35 AM) Hopefully he plays around 35 minutes and is always on the floor when Harden isn't, that will help his numbers significantly.
@  2016Champions : (15 October 2013 - 04:32 AM) Lin put up All Star numbers the last 30 game of the see season, so I don't see why it would be shocking for him to put up those numbers for long enough to make the All Star team.
@  feelingsuper... : (14 October 2013 - 09:09 PM) I agree Brent, he has been able to get past the outside noise pressure and refocus himself so hopefully he is better. I just could never see him as an All-Star and am addressing the comments below as to what would surprise me from Lin.
@  BrentYen : (14 October 2013 - 08:31 PM) Lin is productive not just because of Dwight, he approached the game differently as well, more prepared. Hard to be an All-star while you have 2 already
@  feelingsuper... : (14 October 2013 - 07:48 PM) It would not be surprising if Lin is productive, Dwight will make everyone better. What would be really surprising though is if Lin was ever a bonafide All-Star. That would be shocking.
@  Rahat Huq : (14 October 2013 - 01:34 PM) agreed there. i don't know if he'll be a starter or on the bench, but one thing i'm sure of is that lin is going to surprise people this year
@  2016Champions : (13 October 2013 - 03:34 PM) Lin is definitely going to shut a lot of haters up this year. And Casspi looks great, I wonder if we can start him at the 4.
@  ale11 : (13 October 2013 - 07:16 AM) Casspi looks like he is gonna make the roster. Tough luck for Williams who isn't able to fight for it. When he gets to play, he better kill it if he wants to stay
@  ale11 : (13 October 2013 - 07:06 AM) With Howard picking the 5th, Hibbert is gonna manhandle anyone who plays C now...
@  feelingsuper... : (13 October 2013 - 07:00 AM) Lin sounds like he is doing well tonight which is great news but he isn't anything like Dennis Johnson.

Photo

Houston Rockets preseason storylines

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 585 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:00 PM

New post: Houston Rockets preseason storylines
    By: Brandon Davis

The NBA’s preseason has kicked off. The Rockets have been marketing the sport with exhibition games in Manila and Taipei against the Pacers. Kevin McHale has tinkered with lineups throughout the preseason. Naturally this raises a great deal of conversation around the fan-base with regards to one mercurial group of fans in particular. No, we’re not talking about the legions of Robert Covington fans or those die-hard Omri Casspi fanatics. Rather than lose sight of the forest for sake of individual trees, Rockets fans need to focus on the big picture at stake this pre-season.

Experimentation

Kevin McHale was peppered with questions about his thoughts on Jeremy Lin. In a way that is truly unique to Kevin McHale, he calmly replied he had spoken to Jeremy Lin and Patrick Beverley about the situation, and that he’s looking to experiment with the line up. There’s no point in fretting about the starting point guard. Both players are having great starts to the year. Jeremy is sporting a new shooting stroke and a more decisive game. Patrick is continuing his growth and development from his first year in the NBA. The salient question, is there anything to be disappointed about? The progression of both players is critical to the success of the Houston Rockets both this season and long term. Regardless of who is starting or finishing, so long as the Rockets are winning there isn’t a controversy in Houston.

Competition

There is competition at the power forward position. While worrying about the fate of the starting point guard is premature in the preseason, it’s not too soon to slam the panic button for Donatas Motiejunas supporters. Motiejunas was the only really proven commodity heading into the preseason. He managed to stick with the roster and even start at points last season. Ideally basic defensive awareness and a familiarity with the NBA game should be observable. Unfortunately for Motiejunas, it’s conspicuously absent. Two players are currently vying for the power forward spot, though. Terrence Jones, the incumbent favorite over Motiejunas has played up to expectations. His game has looked smooth, high energy, and complementary to Dwight Howard. The dark horse candidate to keep an eye on is Omri Casspi. Casspi has had an electric start to the preseason and has most likely played his way onto a roster spot with a fair chunk of minutes.

Questions

Omer Asik continues to deal with a lingering calf injury (strain). Greg Smith has been out of the preseason so far with a hip injury as well. The best chance for the Rockets to really evaluate tough pairings with Howard was left behind in Asia, however. The Asik/Howard front court idea has been tossed around as a way to placate Asik’s deserved spot as a starter and Howard’s warranted spot as a superstar (Yes, superstar). Greg Smith, at the very least, could’ve been a sufficient analog for Omer Asik in that Asik’s offensive game is only nominally more refined than Asik’s. More importantly, you can extrapolate how Asik would have succeeded defensively based on Smith’s lapses. Rebounding-wise the two are analogous. Unfortunately Rockets fans are left scratching their head as to the possible impact of a Rockets lineup featuring Howard and Asik. If Houston hopes to compete against the likes of the Pacers and the Memphis Grizzlies then their first look at a twin towers lineup needs to come before the regular season.

Laughs

The trip to Asia showed the Rockets sporting smiles along with championship caliber cohesion. The most notable story worth a laugh is Chandler Parsons’ new nickname; Gao fu shuai. Loosely translated it means “tall, rich, and handsome.” You’d be hard pressed to find people in Red Nation who disagree with such an assessment. The most important thing to take away from the smiles and laughs though, is that this team’s chemistry is already clicking and the culture in Houston looks primed for success.

#2 RollingWave

RollingWave

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 391 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:24 PM

For an NBA player he's not very rich yet I'd guess (but he does come from much wealthier background than the average NBA player

#3 2016Champions

2016Champions

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 2,519 posts
      • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:20 PM

I think we should just choose who starts at the 4 based on the match-up. If we're playing the Grizz or Clippers start Jones. If we're playing a small team start D-Mo. If we're playing the Thunder I like Casspi. 

Debates are destructive as they present one-sided opinions and demolish reasoned arguments, whereas discussions are constructive and encourage the expression of opinion.

Debate is the death of conversation.

#4 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 326 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:10 PM

Looks more and more like PF by committee.

Jones starts because he's willing to defer on offense and that fits in w/the starters best.

Motie gets the second unit as he'll provide inside scoring that that unit severely lacks-and w/Asik his defense/rebounding won't be as big a concern.

Casspi gets 2-3 shifts as a Stretch4 and prob a shift or so at SF,w/Garcia primary wing back-up.(He subbed in for Harden,then Parsons in Taipei.)

Smith is kept for insurance and to play against physical players.

One thing I've noticed is the PGs in particular are really pressing their opponents,willing to gamble on getting beat. Having Dwight lurking must be nice :) This could be very disruptive,esp against shaky ballhandling teams.

#5 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 2,776 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:32 PM

I agree watching the first few preseason games from the Rockets there is very little to complain about. I expected the chemistry to develop quickly so I'm not surprised at how smooth they look. our stars fit and we have a good mix of young blossoming players to fill in around them. we looked really good and we haven't even seen our full potential yet. trying not to get to excited, but I got a really good feeling when I think about the season :)

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#6 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,438 posts
        • LocationAlabama

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:39 PM

I think our small ball team should be

PG = Bev

SG = Lin

SF = Harden

PF = Parsons

C = Dwight

Parsons really does need to put on some more muscle so he can go small ball. Delfino was a better small ball PF last year and that's just embarrassing due to the height factor.

Why so Serious? :D

#7 Richards

Richards

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 268 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:08 PM

Harden improved a bit on defense but he still needs to be smart with shot selection. In Taipei game, Harden shot 3-pter while Lin and Parson were deep in corner. Ball bounced very hard and that led to Paul George's dunk. We had seen this many time last season and I hope this will not repeat it again.

#8 BrentYen

BrentYen

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 146 posts
          • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:17 PM

Harden improved a bit on defense but he still needs to be smart with shot selection. In Taipei game, Harden shot 3-pter while Lin and Parson were deep in corner. Ball bounced very hard and that led to Paul George's dunk. We had seen this many time last season and I hope this will not repeat it again.

Long rebounds in a lot of times are equal to TOs.

LOF here.

#9 2016Champions

2016Champions

Veteran

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 2,519 posts
          • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:32 PM

I think our small ball team should be

PG = Bev

SG = Lin

SF = Harden

PF = Parsons

C = Dwight

Parsons really does need to put on some more muscle so he can go small ball. Delfino was a better small ball PF last year and that's just embarrassing due to the height factor.

Exactly. Delfino was better than Parsons at the 4 and that's just embarrassing. Parsons will never play the 4 not only because of his lack of lower body strength but also because he simply lacks the physicality required to do so, he doesn't put in enough effort when fighting for position and grabbing rebounds. Casspi on the other hand is a little more physical, much like Delfino he's an underrated rebounder, and he certainly has my vote to play the 4 over Parsons. 

Edited by 2016Champions, 15 October 2013 - 07:32 PM.

Debates are destructive as they present one-sided opinions and demolish reasoned arguments, whereas discussions are constructive and encourage the expression of opinion.

Debate is the death of conversation.

#10 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 2,776 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:08 AM

Exactly. Delfino was better than Parsons at the 4 and that's just embarrassing. Parsons will never play the 4 not only because of his lack of lower body strength but also because he simply lacks the physicality required to do so, he doesn't put in enough effort when fighting for position and grabbing rebounds. Casspi on the other hand is a little more physical, much like Delfino he's an underrated rebounder, and he certainly has my vote to play the 4 over Parsons. 

I agree Casspi looks to be better suited for that roll..........small ball should look like this IMO

PG= Beverly

SG= Harden

SF= Parsons

PF= Casspi

C= D-12

or if Harden or Parsons is resting insert Garcia

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#11 Richards

Richards

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 268 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:32 AM

Casspi looks great in all pre-season games.His efficiency was even better than Harden.

Current production rate is insane. Sample was too small to make a good judgement but he seems to able to put up good numbers for a long stretch. Lets wait and see.

As always, we the fans are too quick to talk up or talk down on players.

#12 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPipPip
            • 713 posts
            • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:07 PM

I'm not sure if that was because Delfino was better at defending 4s or worse at defending 3s though. Parsons was quite a bit quicker on his feet than Delfino and was also being asked to shoulder more of the offensive load. Suspect that might have played into the decision slightly. (Although this feels like the sort of thing one of the coaching staff might have explained in an interview. Did anyone ever ask why they prefered Delfino at the 4 in the smallball lineups?)

ST

#13 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 2,776 posts
            • Locationhouston

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:24 PM

I'm not sure if that was because Delfino was better at defending 4s or worse at defending 3s though. Parsons was quite a bit quicker on his feet than Delfino and was also being asked to shoulder more of the offensive load. Suspect that might have played into the decision slightly. (Although this feels like the sort of thing one of the coaching staff might have explained in an interview. Did anyone ever ask why they prefered Delfino at the 4 in the smallball lineups?)

ST

Yes I have seen a interview from Morey where is said according to stats Delfino grabs a large number of rebound that fall near him making him better suited to be in that position. I'll try to find the interview, but I ain't making no promises :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users