Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  2016Champions : (15 October 2013 - 06:51 PM) Think of it like Lebron and Wade. Heat probably would have lost the series if Wade didn't step up in game 6.
@  2016Champions : (15 October 2013 - 06:47 PM) Lin is not the type of guy who puts up empty numbers. When Lin plays well, everyone plays well, because like Harden he makes people around him better.
@  Richards : (15 October 2013 - 05:02 PM) Howard and Harden taking more shots, I don't see Lin (and Parsons) put up more than they had last year. But his PER would be better with more asst and less TO and efficient shooting.
@  BrentYen : (15 October 2013 - 04:39 PM) So....I doubt he will put up All-star number in a sense that his role does not requires it.
@  BrentYen : (15 October 2013 - 04:15 PM) To ROX, I think Lin need to be efficient in terms of making sure the ball is flying around (lol). Numbers probably is not the most important thing to his role.
@  2016Champions : (15 October 2013 - 04:35 AM) Hopefully he plays around 35 minutes and is always on the floor when Harden isn't, that will help his numbers significantly.
@  2016Champions : (15 October 2013 - 04:32 AM) Lin put up All Star numbers the last 30 game of the see season, so I don't see why it would be shocking for him to put up those numbers for long enough to make the All Star team.
@  feelingsuper... : (14 October 2013 - 09:09 PM) I agree Brent, he has been able to get past the outside noise pressure and refocus himself so hopefully he is better. I just could never see him as an All-Star and am addressing the comments below as to what would surprise me from Lin.
@  BrentYen : (14 October 2013 - 08:31 PM) Lin is productive not just because of Dwight, he approached the game differently as well, more prepared. Hard to be an All-star while you have 2 already
@  feelingsuper... : (14 October 2013 - 07:48 PM) It would not be surprising if Lin is productive, Dwight will make everyone better. What would be really surprising though is if Lin was ever a bonafide All-Star. That would be shocking.
@  Rahat Huq : (14 October 2013 - 01:34 PM) agreed there. i don't know if he'll be a starter or on the bench, but one thing i'm sure of is that lin is going to surprise people this year
@  2016Champions : (13 October 2013 - 03:34 PM) Lin is definitely going to shut a lot of haters up this year. And Casspi looks great, I wonder if we can start him at the 4.
@  ale11 : (13 October 2013 - 07:16 AM) Casspi looks like he is gonna make the roster. Tough luck for Williams who isn't able to fight for it. When he gets to play, he better kill it if he wants to stay
@  ale11 : (13 October 2013 - 07:06 AM) With Howard picking the 5th, Hibbert is gonna manhandle anyone who plays C now...
@  feelingsuper... : (13 October 2013 - 07:00 AM) Lin sounds like he is doing well tonight which is great news but he isn't anything like Dennis Johnson.
@  miketheodio : (13 October 2013 - 06:58 AM) excellent execution on transition offense
@  miketheodio : (13 October 2013 - 06:00 AM) followed up by a contested downtown 3 0.0
@  miketheodio : (13 October 2013 - 05:59 AM) lin tear drop over hibbert 0.0
@  2016Champions : (13 October 2013 - 05:27 AM) Actually that was Jason Freidman's guess but I agree with him.
@  2016Champions : (13 October 2013 - 05:13 AM) Lin and Jones are starting tonight. My guess is that Bev and DMo will start next game. Coach is experimenting with different combinations.

Photo

The Rockets Daily - October 11, 2013

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 582 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:21 AM

New post: The Rockets Daily - October 11, 2013
    By: John Eby

The Highlight Factory - Since the Rockets game against the Pacers was at 6:30 a.m. Central Time, I'm guessing most of you didn't get a chance to see it. Never fear, the interwebs are full of highlight videos already, and I've tried to compile most of them for you right here.

First things first, the Coldest Move Award goes to Chandler Parson's Euro-step that destroyed the Pacers entire half-court defense and put Roy Hibbert on his butt.

I'm impressed. Most impressed. Let's talk about Jeremy Lin now, because I've officially changed my verdict on what his role should be.

In the past I've argued that Lin should be in the starting lineup. My rationale was that multiple playmakers are needed against trapping Thibodeau-style defenses. While I still think he can play with the other starters for that reason, I think his manifest destiny is as a 6th man on a championship contender.

He is the Manu to Beverley's Bowen, and the Harden to Beverley's Sefalosha. Ultimately, the value Lin adds to the team by his ability to feast on second units flat outweighs the value he brings as an additional playmaker. When he's attacking the lane against the other team's backups, you'd think he was Derrick Rose.

The stat lines for both Howard and Hibbert were in one sense disappointing, but also exactly what you would expect. Howard struggles to score against behemoths like Hibbert, who is also one of the best post defenders in the league, and Hibbert is proving that his suddenly boosted reputation is the result of being able to feast on Chris Bosh in the playoffs. Against Howard, he managed six measly points. Despite only going 4-11 from the floor, Howard displayed some nifty face-up moves.

The runner-up for the Coldest Move award goes to Patrick Beverley. Enjoy.

That looked like the kind of play that Russell Westbrook used to make. Don't look at me like that. You thought it too.

Let's play a game. Watch this video of Paul George's highlights against the Rockets and tell me what's encouraging (this is not a trick question).

Do you know what's a little funny about this highlight reel? No dunks! Let's review those baskets: two fading corner threes, a very contested floater in the lane, one transition layup (almost erased by Terrence Jones), and an And-1 coming off a tough post-up against Harden. Those are not easy looks for a slasher like George, who also had five turnovers to one assist for the game. George had a good game shooting 7-13 from the field, but he also went just 1-4 from the line, and the video bears out that the Rockets defense made him work for it.

James Harden shot only 26 percent against the Pacers last year. So naturally he scored 21 points on 12 shots in Manila.

Beard Meets Bird - This tweet should brighten your day.

Got any sweet links or suggestions? Email them to [email protected] or message @EbyNews on Twitter.

#2 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
    • 1,293 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:00 AM

it still feels a bit unreal seeing dwight howard highlights wearing red 

#3 David

David

• Members
      • Pip
      • 4 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:26 AM

Your Lin argument is just the reverse of what they said about James Harden - that his numbers wouldn't translate from 6th man to starter, which IMO is false. Either Lin is producing or not. If not, he might play less minutes, and maybe "leading the bench" is the story they'll tell him, but it's nonsense - he'll just have lost his job to Beverley plain and simple.

#4 BrentYen

BrentYen

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 144 posts
        • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:01 AM

Your Lin argument is just the reverse of what they said about James Harden - that his numbers wouldn't translate from 6th man to starter, which IMO is false. Either Lin is producing or not. If not, he might play less minutes, and maybe "leading the bench" is the story they'll tell him, but it's nonsense - he'll just have lost his job to Beverley plain and simple.

Under the name of fitting dilemma. LOL. Well, I think it is just McHale seems to value Defense more and the 1st 10 minutes of yesterdays' game said a lot.

LOF here.

#5 Jeby

Jeby

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 183 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:31 PM

Harden's issue in OKC was that he had to adjust his game to fit with Durant and Westbrook when he was playing against starting lineups, and Lin has a similar issue playing with Harden. Harden destroyed second units when he had the ball in his hands, and I suspect Lin will do the same. I don't have the numbers at my fingertips, but I recall that if you compare Harden's production when he was on the court without Durant and Westbrook to his overall production in Houston, he was more efficient as OKC's supersub.

"Assets" -- Daryl Morey

#6 Cooper

Cooper

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPipPip
          • 666 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:10 PM

Straight up talent wise I think it's silly to compare Lin to harden. Some players are just better off the bench. Jamal Crawford has been a sixth man for a long time his numbers have never been better when he's started but that doesn't mean he isn't still a productive player. It's just that you aren't going to let him run your team over Chris Paul. Same with Lin and Harden.

#7 Richards

Richards

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 267 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:21 PM

To be a true sixth man and a key player, Lin still need to play well with starters during final minutes.

#8 John P

John P

• Members
              • Pip
              • 26 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:04 PM

why argue over the storm in a tea cup...my guess is he will start some, come off the bench some...and do whatever is effective to win. Lin doesn't seem to make a stink about any of this...why should anyone else.
                Did anyone ever doubt Manu was/is a great player coming off the bench? Have some confidence in your guy and let him play wherever he is most effective.
                Lets just win it all....i don't care if Lin is the ballboy or the star of the team as long as we win

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users