Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  2016Champions : (17 June 2013 - 05:26 AM) I had a feeling Ginobili would regress to the mean.
@  Dan G : (17 June 2013 - 04:33 AM) Now I had no idea Ginobli was gonna pull a Wade and turn back the clock. I give Pop the majority of the credit for that.
@  Dan G : (17 June 2013 - 04:32 AM) I don't think it was too ballsy on San Antonio's part. With the way Splitter has been playing and since Miami has started Miller the last two games, I thought it was inevitable that Ginobli would start.
@  RollingWave : (17 June 2013 - 02:57 AM) I must say that both team had some serious ballsy lineup changes this series, Ginobilli start? and dominate?
@  2016Champions : (16 June 2013 - 09:26 PM) According to Dr. Klapper, treatment for Parker's hamstring will only last one half. Lateral movement and jumping will be a problem.
@  2016Champions : (16 June 2013 - 04:56 AM) Parker said Pop was very angry with him for the constant nagging insisting he can play, Pop really didn't want Parker to play. Just goes to show Pop knows best.
@  RollingWave : (16 June 2013 - 04:28 AM) Parker says his hamstring is almost shot , that would probably doom the Spurs if he can't play at least 80%
@  2016Champions : (15 June 2013 - 12:38 AM) Miami is 6-0 in playoffs following losses (outscoring opponents by 20.7 PPG in those games). They've won 12 straight games following losses.
@  2016Champions : (14 June 2013 - 04:50 PM) The Heat are notoriously slow starters. Once they get going it's like a snowball effect, they get more dangerous as they go along.
@  2016Champions : (14 June 2013 - 04:49 PM) My heart says SA, but my mind says MIA
@  rocketrick : (14 June 2013 - 11:06 AM) Anybody else going to San Antone for Game 5??
@  RollingWave : (14 June 2013 - 10:15 AM) The Heat is doomed / the Spurs is doom , repeat until game 7
@  2016Champions : (14 June 2013 - 06:28 AM) Now that Wade's knee doesn't seem to be bothering him anymore, Spurs are in trouble.
@  rocketrick : (14 June 2013 - 06:26 AM) Mark Twain once was quoted--Reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. Not sure that motivates the Heat but food for thought for whatever that is worth!
@  2016Champions : (14 June 2013 - 04:43 AM) What happened to Parker that second half? Hamstring caught up to him?
@  Ostrow : (14 June 2013 - 03:57 AM) Has Manu had any good playoff games?
@  RollingWave : (14 June 2013 - 03:50 AM) G4 was very interesting, both teams making big adjustments, but I think at the end of the day Wade's rejuvenation / dead cat bounce versus Manu 's continued suck is the difference
@  RollingWave : (13 June 2013 - 08:49 AM) @rocketrick lol good one. I honestly don't know what happens now, I was expecting Spurs to win G3 but not by THAT much
@  rocketrick : (12 June 2013 - 10:55 AM) I can't wait for Game 5 after the Heat burn the Spurs on Thursday night
@  RollingWave : (12 June 2013 - 06:52 AM) The amazing thing is this 2nd rounder and undrafted guy played like super stars while the best player ever an another sure fired HOF guy played like junk

Photo

[Hypothetical] If we have to trade someone other than Thomas Robinson to get Dwight, who do we trade?

72 replies to this topic

Poll: Who should we trade? (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Who should we trade?

1. James Harden :P (1 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

2. Jeremy Lin (3 votes [23.08%])

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

3. Donatas Motiejunas (1 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

4. Terrence Jones (2 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

5. Omer Asik (4 votes [30.77%])

Percentage of vote: 30.77%

6. Chandler Parsons (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Don't get Dwight because he's not worth it (2 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,062 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:48 PM

Before I begin, let me stress that this is discussion is hypothetical, and I stress this for three reasons:

1. The salary cap hasn't been set in stone yet, even though reports have already come out that it's $58.5 million, there's still a chance that the NBA can change their mind.
  2. Larry Coon is only human even though some CBA "experts" may view him as a God.
  3. There's a chance Dwight might give us a small discount if we're lucky
  4. For the sake of discussion.

Early projections given to NBA teams in May have the salary cap rising to just $58.5 million for the 2013-14 season, according to ESPN's Marc Stein. Grantland's Zach Lowe confirmed Stein's report.

--LINK

This could make it ALOT harder for us to get Dwight. Some non-experts may disagree, but the creator of CBAfaq himself (Larry Coon) has calculated that the Houston Rockets may need to trade more than just Thomas Robinson to get Dwight.

A team would have to get $20.5 million below the cap to afford Dwight (assuming he’s not offering any discounts). If Houston lets go of most of their non-guaranteed or team option salary (Anderson, Brooks, Delfino, Garcia, Ohlbrecht, Smith), and they find a taker for Thomas Robinson with no salary coming back, then they’d have about $19.6 million in cap room (assuming a $58.5 million cap).

--LINK

Hopefully he's wrong, experts once said the world is flat so who knows, but for discussion's sake lets just assume he's right like he usually is and talk about who would be the best player to trade. Now, as you can see, Royce White isn't an option and I did that for two reasons:

1. Everyone would vote for him so that would make this whole discussion pretty boring
  2. There's alot of legal drama surrounding him, including speculation he might sue the Rockets and/or the NBA for whatever ridiculous reasons he has and alot of teams wouldn't want to get involved with that

I also didn't include Patrick Beverley because he makes less than the amount we need to get rid of. So, assuming Dwight doesn't give a discount, if we need to get rid of another $900,000. Who should we trade and why?

Don't be too quick to assume you're right and the experts are wrong. 

"A fool who recognizes his own ignorance is thereby in fact a wise man, but a fool who considers himself wise -- that is what one really calls a fool." ~Gautama Buddha

#2 rocketrick

rocketrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:52 PM

Can we trade Clutch?

#3 rocketrick

rocketrick

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 514 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:01 AM

I'm trying to think exactly who the Rockets would have left on their roster were they to jettisone all the team options they currently have--- Harden, Parsons, Lin, Asik, T-Jones, D Motiejunas, Beverly, R White, T Robinson --- did I leave anyone out? So basically 2016's topic is assuming the Rockets don't do anything with Beverly, White or T-Robinson, leaving the remaining choice among Harden, Parsons, Lin, Asik, T-Jones or Motiejunas.

Wow, that's a tough call to make. Which is why I have been so vocal about the Rockets need to trade away Asik in the event D12 came to Houston. Not that I dislike Asik, quite the opposite!! I love Asik and would like nothing more than to see him as a Rocket for life!! However, if D12 comes to Houston, Asik makes the absolute most sense because of the cap space that opens up for the Rockets and the likelihood Asik can bring back more value in a trade than anyone else (assuming Parsons is non-tradeable which in my mind he is definitely non-tradeable).

#4 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 717 posts
      • LocationAlabama

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:08 AM

I said DMo since I'd trade him before Asik.

Why so Serious? :D

#5 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 2,062 posts
      • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:20 AM

So basically 2016's topic is assuming the Rockets don't do anything with Beverly, White or T-Robinson, leaving the remaining choice among Harden, Parsons, Lin, Asik, T-Jones or Motiejunas.

Actually, T-Robinson has already been traded in this scenario. But that doesn't have to happen if we were to trade Lin or Asik because their contracts are big enough that we would be able to keep T-Rob and get Dwight.

This topic is so mind wrecking X__X haha. If this hypothetical situation turns out to be real, I really hope Dwight gives us a discount! But if we get an AMAZING deal for Asik then it wouldn't matter, and we probably can imo. 

So keep T-Rob, get Dwight, plus get an amazingly good deal? I think you can guess where my vote would go ;)

"A fool who recognizes his own ignorance is thereby in fact a wise man, but a fool who considers himself wise -- that is what one really calls a fool." ~Gautama Buddha

#6 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 717 posts
      • LocationAlabama

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:29 AM

New scenario:

Sign Dwight for 9 mil.
      Sign CP3 for 9 mil.
      Trade Asik for picks.
      Sign Smith for 9mil.
      PG = CP3/Lin
      SG = Harden/Random SG
      SF = Parsons/Random SF
      PF = Smith/DMo
      C = Dwight/Jones

Not a lot of depth but we can sign aging vets for the minimum to win rings.

#7 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 717 posts
      • LocationAlabama

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:31 AM

Plus we have versatility since all of our starters minus CP3 can play multiple positions.

#8 Cooper

Cooper

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 410 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:19 AM

I think it almost has to be asik unless you think you can trade Lin for something of value and then later trade asik for a pg once Howard is under contract so you don't risk having no center at all. Unless trading motijunas makes a big enough savings? Could hypothetically trade everyone but harden, parsons and one of jones/motie and sign both Paul and Howard at slight discounts But that's crazy :)

#9 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 1,861 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:09 AM

I bet everybody here knows my vote :lol:

1. Lin and asik make the same thing so the flexibility can be had from trading either contract

2. good centers are a commodity in the NBA. they are hard to find and even harder to keep. they always have value because there is a shortage of them. when you have the luxury of 2 of them you hold on for as long as you can. ask yourself this.....why was Memphis so successful this year even though they are not a good offensive team? answer = two 7 footers are hard to score on that's why

3. whatever we get for lin provided we don't have to accept any contracts back can only be considered a win

4. point guards are an easier thing to find than centers and can be found much cheaper

5. of Lin and asik who lived up to their contract more?

I could go on, but the fact of the matter is asik is more valuable so he should be retained. while Lin hopes to improve.....talent at that position can be found for cheaper

#10 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 2,062 posts
        • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:21 AM

RBF, ZBo is not a center. He's a PF the same size as Terrence Jones. 

I choose Asik for plethora of reasons:

1. He has the least amount of upside is Asik, he's the oldest guy on the team (26) so he should be the closest to his ceiling.
        2. Like you said he's too similar to Dwight
        3. $30 million is way too much to spend on one position
        4. After we let go of all those players to make cap room for Dwight, we're left with very little depth at other positions
        5. Asik will get us ALOT more in return than the unproven Jeremy Lin and our unproven rookies, he's a proven starting center in this league elite defensively and top 5 in rebounding which is something alot of teams need
        6. Asik's contract is big enough to make enough room for Dwight AND keep Thomas Robinson who has HUGE upside especially on the defensive end
        7. Think of the big picture. When we get into the playoffs Dwight will play 38-40 minutes, which leaves only 8-10 minutes for Asik. $8.3 million on a guy who will hardly play in the playoffs makes very little sense
        8. There's no way we can play Dwight and Asik together without getting exposed by elite defensive teams, the floor spacing would be horrible.
        9. We have a European prospect named Furkan Aldemir who we're supposedly bringing over this year. He can man the back-up center position for alot cheaper. Some question marks though..

Now just to be fair, here are the reasons to not trade Asik:

1. Who would be our back-up center? Furkan Aldemir might be too weak to play center in the NBA. Terrence Jones weighs 252 pounds and can block shots, he's actually bigger than Al Horford, but he's still too inexperienced and relies too much on his athleticism instead of pushing his man out of the post. 
        2. I LOVE Asik, and for 8.3 million he's a bargain compared to DeAndre Jordan and Javalle McGee
        3. Maybe Asik and Dwight can play together? I doubt it, but you never know till you try right?
        4. Trade Jeremy Lin instead, it's alot easier to find serviceable point guards in this league than serviceable centers

That's it. When I add everything up, I think the pros of trading Asik far outweigh the cons. 

#11 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 1,861 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:55 AM

@2016

1. even if asik is closer to his ceiling he will still be the most valued player

2. I didn't say he was similar to D-12. they play center, but that's about it.

3. you mean 28.8 mil right.....that is a lot, but the benefit gained by the team out weigh the negative

4. if we trade Lin we don't have to let go t-rob or brooks. if we trade Lin that gets the necessary room without losing any other assets

5. funny you should mention Lin as unproven and asik as a proven commodity. this enhances my point. asik is more valued therefore should be keep

6. I am not as high on T-rob as some of the other PFs we have. so he is expendable to me. however he can be moved later

7. think of this BIG picture. we have 82 games to play before the playoffs. the NBA season is a marathon not a sprint. by using asik to keep howard fresh we can save the wear and tear of the season on him. when the playoffs come depending upon who we match up with we may need asik's size to combat that team.

8. asik and D-12 can't play for long stretches, but we don't need them too. they will probably be on the floor together for less than 15 minutes a game, but having both will insure a rim protector on the floor at all times

9 furkan is an unproven player who doesn't know our system and has no nba experience. to expect him to be able to play a role on this team would be unwise

there really is not reason to keep lin over asik unless you like him, because the data leans asik's way

#12 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 2,062 posts
        • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:07 AM

I forgot to add something to the pros of trading Asik:

When his contract is over, he's not going to re-sign to play back-up. Some team out there is going to offer him a bigger contract and a starting role. So if we're not trading him this year, we're trading him next year anyway. Letting a highly valuable asset walk is the other option, and that's a horrible idea. 

#13 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 1,861 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:11 AM

I forgot to add something to the pros of trading Asik:

When his contract is over, he's not going to re-sign to play back-up. So if we're not trading him this year, we're trading him next year anyway. Letting a highly valuable asset walk is a bad idea. 

same could be said for Lin even though he has less value. true we could move asik , but the later the better. he can be more helpful to us

#14 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 2,062 posts
        • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:19 AM

I just said Asik will be playing back-up. How can the same thing be said for Lin? 

#15 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 1,861 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:23 AM

I just said Asik will be playing back-up. How can the same thing be said for Lin? 

because if he stays here in 2 years Beverly will have taken his job :lol:

#16 Cooper

Cooper

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 410 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:30 AM

Yeah if we do get Dwight, Asik will be traded sooner or later. Right now we could get good value for him and clear a little space to add another good bench player. Something to consider for sure.

#17 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 1,861 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:27 AM

Yeah if we do get Dwight, Asik will be traded sooner or later. Right now we could get good value for him and clear a little space to add another good bench player. Something to consider for sure.

why?.............who says we have to trade asik

#18 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 2,062 posts
          • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:28 AM

Logic. 

#19 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 1,861 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:42 AM

Logic. 

your logic not mine

#20 rocketrick

rocketrick

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 514 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:31 AM

Most likely the Rockets logic, too, in my opinion. Keep Lin, trade Asik ASSUMING D12 even becomes a Rocket (very doubtful in my opinion). This topic will be persona nongrata in 30 days or less

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users