Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  DenverRocket : (03 June 2016 - 01:17 AM) JBB has gone to the Grizzlies as an associate head coach according to ESPN
@  majik19 : (02 June 2016 - 03:04 PM) the irony in Les saying that he didn't want to go through a learning curve - WCF: Kerr (2nd year) vs. Donovan (1st year, ECF: Lue (1st year) vs. Casey (experienced). Hmmmmm
@  majik19 : (01 June 2016 - 11:21 PM) looks like we did hire Jeff Bzdelik, so I hope that's a good sign. Quote from him: "He can defend as all of them can when they want to and that goes back to everybody needs to be committed and there needs to be a trust."
@  majik19 : (01 June 2016 - 07:46 PM) i think playing fast will be good for the team - too many players are uncomfortable in half court sets but are good in transition.
@  slick shoes : (01 June 2016 - 07:33 PM) He is also of the belief that many players were playing outside of their offensive roles last season which made them give less than 100% on the defensive end. He aims to fit our current/future players to their roles and then the defense will follow.
@  slick shoes : (01 June 2016 - 07:23 PM) Takeaways: Pringles was chosen by ownership, NOT management. Les wants to play fast. The ball will still stop in James Harden's hands with frequency.
@  slick shoes : (01 June 2016 - 03:50 PM) Will anyone else be watching the 'Antoni introduction?
@  thejohnnygold : (31 May 2016 - 02:37 PM) It's tough to say...he plays it pretty close to the vest. Plus, there will be no shortage of suitors...as in every single team.
@  Mario Peña : (31 May 2016 - 02:14 AM) Westbrook looks a little out of control tonight. Maybe that will annoy Durant. Maybe Harden will look more appealing if the Thunder lose. I know it's a dream.
@  slick shoes : (27 May 2016 - 12:38 PM) I doubt it. He is what he is at this point IMO. 'Antoni won't make him a better player.
@  majik19 : (26 May 2016 - 11:28 PM) i wonder if Harden missing all NBA will motivate him to play some defense... (he deserved at least 3rd team based on offense alone).
@  slick shoes : (26 May 2016 - 09:50 PM) anyone coming with me to the Spurs board?
@  majik19 : (26 May 2016 - 09:25 PM) Calvin Watkins just reported D'Antoni as coach... ugh.
@  slick shoes : (23 May 2016 - 12:24 PM) The worst part about Green is that he tries to play that nice guy role à la Reggie Miller.
@  Mario Peña : (23 May 2016 - 02:00 AM) Im quite pleased the Thunder are decimating the Warriors.
@  Mario Peña : (23 May 2016 - 12:54 AM) I cannot stand Draymond Green. I don't like him in any way. That dude is cheap and he's one of the main reasons I really don't like the Warriors.
@  majik19 : (21 May 2016 - 05:28 PM) no need to rush it now - only one other opening to compete with, and no first round draft pick to get input on.
@  Mario Peña : (21 May 2016 - 02:19 PM) SteinyMo reporting James Borrego from Pop's bench is now getting a look. Wow just wow.
@  majik19 : (20 May 2016 - 09:32 PM) I saw that report. Silas seems like a swing for the fences move, but isn't he exactly like JBB? Harden didn't respond to JBB, why would he respond to another longtime coach's son?
@  Mario Peña : (20 May 2016 - 07:29 PM) So Watkins is reporting its between D'Antoni and Silas.

Photo

D'Atoni and a defensive coordinator

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,227 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 03 June 2016 - 03:17 AM

the Rockets announced there new coach today and no one was surprised as the news was leaked over the last two weeks. Pringles press conference did nothing to offer hope that this dummy has learned anything about coaching in his previous stops. it would have been comical were it not so sad listening to the three blind mice (Les, Morey and Pringles) attempting to explain this idiotic move. however within one of Les comments I heard the ROOT of the problem. THE ROCKETS ARE IN LOVE WITH THE THREE POINT SHOT. as I listened to him attempting to explain how he thinks you have to play to win in this league it became apparent his love for the way GSW play, and even tho he denied it, he  obviously is enamored with duplicating it. Les claims Pringles is a master at this type of offense and since we are bringing in a defensive coordinator (Bzdelik and Rodgers) we should just relax, thing are under control, when nothing could be further from the truth. even when Pringles was asked about defense he deflected the questions by bringing up the coordinator. PITIFUL that the HEAD coach has to has to ask another coach to coach his defense because he is a moron in that area and make common public knowledge of his short comings by his own admittance. the Rockets keep operating under the premise that two halves will make one whole. it doesn't matter what kind of shoe it is just as long as you have a left one and a right one you have the perfect pair. that's why they keep falling in the hole. it would seem they are incapable of detecting the error of their ways leaving us doomed to continue stumbling while others pass us by. will this left shoe/ right shoe combination work when one looks like a work boot (Bzdelik) and one looks like a flip flop (D'Atoni) ? the early voting says NO

Edited by rockets best fan, 03 June 2016 - 03:19 AM.

My new years resolution.....drink that special bottle of wine, take your son on that fishing trip, live each day as if it were my last because everyday of LIFE is special B)

#2 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,486 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 June 2016 - 03:45 PM

The Rockets are all in on the Harden Era.  All decisions emanate from that.

I understand your frustration and don't disagree with you; however, I am willing to wait and see.  There are plenty of examples where this sort of thing works out and perhaps these guys will make a nice pairing.  Antoni will definitely improve our offense--simply because anything would improve our offense.

For anyone hanging their hats on our offensive rating from the regular season, please note the 91.2 ppg we posted in the playoffs.  It would be one thing if we were playing the Grizzlies (who like to slow down the tempo), but we weren't.  That number comes from high-paced games with lots of possessions and lots of 3's.  Whatever...I guess we all see what we want to see.  I see a pace adjusted Ortg of 93.6.

I believe there are a couple of personnel moves this Summer that will have more of an impact on this team than our new coaches.  Not sure what they are yet, but that's what I am keeping my eyes on.

#3 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 June 2016 - 04:28 PM

I believe there are a couple of personnel moves this Summer that will have more of an impact on this team than our new coaches.  Not sure what they are yet, but that's what I am keeping my eyes on.

Once we had Pringles locked up, I turned my attention here. I cannot wait for July 1st. I assume we will know the path Dwight has chosen (I would not be opposed to his return for one more year just to see if the coaching change makes any difference), and can make appropriate moves accordingly. I am fearful of how invested our team will be in bringing KD here (I just don't see it happening) and ignoring other free agents who are more likely/cheaper/ultimately helps us be a cohesive team. Morey's free agency unicorn Ryan Anderson is ready to be courted by us and a few others and I hope that we can at least get an interview with Conley (though his injuries make me a bit hesitant to throw max money out there). 

when you win two games in a row that's called a winning streak.

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#4 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 June 2016 - 04:52 PM

Les claims Pringles is a master at this type of offense and since we are bringing in a defensive coordinator (Bzdelik and Rodgers) we should just relax, thing are under control, when nothing could be further from the truth. even when Pringles was asked about defense he deflected the questions by bringing up the coordinator. PITIFUL that the HEAD coach has to has to ask another coach to coach his defense because he is a moron in that area and make common public knowledge of his short comings by his own admittance.

I am not really sure that this is a BAD thing. It would be one thing if his defense was awful and he thought it was great. He's not a defensive minded guy and attempts to rectify that by bringing in an assistant who is just that. 

The best example I can think of is that I can manage my finances all year round, but when it comes to tax time I call an accountant for assistance. Does this make me a poor financial manager or someone who acknowledges their strengths/weaknesses and formulates a game plan around those strengths and weaknesses?

#5 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 07:04 PM

I agree with johnnygold on a wait and see approach and slickshoes with the accountant aspect. D'Antoni been to the WCF's twice while the
    media favorite Thibodeau has been to the ECF's once. I don't see the difference in a guy preaching offense, offense, offense and no defense
    from a guy who preaches defense, defense, defense and no offense (Thibodeau offense was just give the ball to D-Rose and get out of the
    way). I'm a defense minded guy that believes defense wins championships; but the FA can bring some of those guys that will improve our defense.

Everybody knows I stressed playing KJ McDaniels and Capela more. Yes, Harden is to blame for poor defense; but people like to use
    Harden too much as the entire scapegoat. Howard has a reputation of not running hard up and down the court if he doesn't get a lot
    of touches....he didn't get as many touches and it looked like he was jogging and favoring his knees or back (30 y/o that looked like
    45 y/o). Howard reputation is also that he doesn't rotate out to perimeter shooters well if he doesn't get "his" touches....well he didn't
    get the amount of touches he wanted and I didn't see him kick out to contest those open 3 point shooters, IMO. It's a perimeter league
    Nowadays. If your center doesn't jump out there opponents notice that in their scouting report and adjust their offensive scheme
    accordingly. Guys like Redick have a field day with that......most teams did as we were at the poor end of the spectrum on perimeter
    defense. Howard effects perimeter and transition defense (Along with Harden). Now Brewer also failed the Rockets this year.
    Teams saw how to play the Rockets during the playoffs last year. Brewer over plays the playing lanes and can lose track of his
    assignment.....much like Harden. Brewer is a poor post defender (Harden can play post defense). Brewers strength is transition
    offense and defense.....neither was very good this past year. So in summary, basketball uses 5 players and when those 3 guys
    take a dip in offense because of lack of interest or effort....it gets amplified. Coaches will get after Harden and Harden will try
    for Bzdelik and Kalamian (I expect him to be hired). With Howard leaving (I'm crossing my fingers) and Brewer gone the defense
    improves exponentially (with the addition of a couple of guys like C Lee and Bazemore).

82Games.com (Rahat touched on this in his Howard/Capela article): ...............................................................................................
    one of the best lineups was Bev/Harden/Brewer/Ariza/Capela : 68% (Win) 74 (mins) 1.24 (Off) 0.98 (Def) 47 (+/-) ..................
    Lineup JBB liked: 61% (Win) 196 (mins) 1.13 (Off) 1.03 (Def) 33 (+/-) 13 W 8 L. Would not do well in playoffs due to spacing.

McDaniels was +15.5 on/court, -0.8 off/court, net +16.3. Brewer was -2.5 on/court, +2.2 off/court, net -4.7. ..................................
    Howard was +0.3 on/court, 0.0 off/court, net +0.3. Capela was +3.4 on/court, 0.0 off/court, net +5.1. ...........................................

Yes stats are skewed due to positions and few minutes; but JBB failed in not playing Capela and McDaniels more.

And if you are going to be the best, you have to beat the best.......this is why San Antonio, the Thunder and Cavs are all trying to
    emulate the Warriors. Unless it's all about selling tickets and jerseys.......D'Antoni can help these players sell jerseys and the team
    sell tickets.

Edited by Jatman20, 03 June 2016 - 07:04 PM.

#6 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 355 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 10:24 PM

Now this is just not right!! Now they are teasing us!!

#KD2HOU! :)
      ・・・
      #Repost @easymoneysniper
      Me and my brother @jharden13...#summerisserious

Sorry it didn't post right. It's a picture of KD and Harden on Instagram post about 13 mins ago. (B/R)

Edited by Jatman20, 03 June 2016 - 10:27 PM.

#7 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 355 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 11:11 PM

In my post #5 I left off the names on that lineup that JBB liked (I had to rush back to work).

Bev/Harden/Ariza/Capela/D12: 61% (Win), 196 (mins), 1.13 (Off), 1.03 (Def), 33 (+/-), 13W 8L....Spurs destroyed it on Christmas Day.

Other stats:

Bev/Harden/McD/Ariza/Capela: 100% (Win), 10 (mins), 1.32 (Off), 0.79 (Def), 10 (+/-).

Bev/Harden/McD/Ariza/D12: 100% (Win), 22 (mins), 1.32 (Off), 0.88 (Def), 22 (+/-).

Note how the Def #'s changes with McDaniels. Yes small sample size.

Change Capela stat: -1.7 off/court

Edited by Jatman20, 03 June 2016 - 11:18 PM.

#8 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 4,227 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 04 June 2016 - 10:58 AM

I am not really sure that this is a BAD thing. It would be one thing if his defense was awful and he thought it was great. He's not a defensive minded guy and attempts to rectify that by bringing in an assistant who is just that. 

The best example I can think of is that I can manage my finances all year round, but when it comes to tax time I call an accountant for assistance. Does this make me a poor financial manager or someone who acknowledges their strengths/weaknesses and formulates a game plan around those strengths and weaknesses?

true this fact was no secret, but don't publicly wave the white flag before even attempting to prove the NAYSAYERS ( as Les would say) wrong. I don't hear Thibs throwing up the white flag publicly about his troubles on offense.

Once we had Pringles locked up, I turned my attention here. I cannot wait for July 1st. I assume we will know the path Dwight has chosen (I would not be opposed to his return for one more year just to see if the coaching change makes any difference), and can make appropriate moves accordingly. I am fearful of how invested our team will be in bringing KD here (I just don't see it happening) and ignoring other free agents who are more likely/cheaper/ultimately helps us be a cohesive team. Morey's free agency unicorn Ryan Anderson is ready to be courted by us and a few others and I hope that we can at least get an interview with Conley (though his injuries make me a bit hesitant to throw max money out there). 

I have also turned my attention to FA, however I believe Pringles actually hurts us in FA. it will be interesting watching this summer play out. we best prepare ourselves for the worse while still hoping for the best. Pringles has a reputation in the league that's hard to sell in FA

The Rockets are all in on the Harden Era.  All decisions emanate from that.

I understand your frustration and don't disagree with you; however, I am willing to wait and see.  There are plenty of examples where this sort of thing works out and perhaps these guys will make a nice pairing.  Antoni will definitely improve our offense--simply because anything would improve our offense.

For anyone hanging their hats on our offensive rating from the regular season, please note the 91.2 ppg we posted in the playoffs.  It would be one thing if we were playing the Grizzlies (who like to slow down the tempo), but we weren't.  That number comes from high-paced games with lots of possessions and lots of 3's.  Whatever...I guess we all see what we want to see.  I see a pace adjusted Ortg of 93.6.

wait and see is all we are stuck with now, but maybe if I keep my expectations low then the fall won't be so hard. it's just hard for me to follow some one I have absolutely no faith in at all. while most assume he will automatically improve our offense unless we get a talent infusion of some better shooters I am doubtful he will succeed. if we are still depending on the chucker's we now have I suspect the result will be similar. if we continue treating any other shot other than a 3 like poison tossing 3's regardless of whether it's the best shot or not. it's hard to get excited about that prospect when you consider our 3 point sharp shooters :lol:

My new years resolution.....drink that special bottle of wine, take your son on that fishing trip, live each day as if it were my last because everyday of LIFE is special B)

#9 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
        • 1,564 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 12:34 PM

Great analogy.  I thought that was a fascinating part of the presser and was actually pretty encouraged by that recognition.  I was assuming they wouldn't publicly acknowledge the dynamic.

#10 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 4,486 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 04 June 2016 - 03:05 PM

The thing that vexes me is how one can be an offensive genius without understanding defense.  (which I think has been brought up before)  It's almost as if he accidentally had one good idea and rode that to the top of his field all the while secretly hoping nobody notices that there is nothing else there.  (please let me be wrong...please let me be wrong...)

Conspiracy theory time: Les hired Antoni to 100% ensure Dwight Howard opts out.

I've read the quotes, but the fact remains that Antoni doesn't just want Dwight to run the pick n roll 25 times a game--he needs him to.  This is the same guy that benched Pau Gasol in favor of Earl Clark and took the ball out of Steve Nash's hands so that Kobe could be the facilitator and Nash a spot-up shooter.  (Doesn't Steve Nash/Pau Gasol sound like an awesome 2-on-2 pairing?)  Given Kobe's shooting % versus Nash's this makes some sense...but not really.

#11 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
          • PipPipPipPip
          • 557 posts
          • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 June 2016 - 02:43 PM

The thing that vexes me is how one can be an offensive genius without understanding defense.  (which I think has been brought up before)  It's almost as if he accidentally had one good idea and rode that to the top of his field all the while secretly hoping nobody notices that there is nothing else there.  (please let me be wrong...please let me be wrong...)

Conspiracy theory time: Les hired Antoni to 100% ensure Dwight Howard opts out.

I've read the quotes, but the fact remains that Antoni doesn't just want Dwight to run the pick n roll 25 times a game--he needs him to.  This is the same guy that benched Pau Gasol in favor of Earl Clark and took the ball out of Steve Nash's hands so that Kobe could be the facilitator and Nash a spot-up shooter.  (Doesn't Steve Nash/Pau Gasol sound like an awesome 2-on-2 pairing?)  Given Kobe's shooting % versus Nash's this makes some sense...but not really.

I just can't get behind this theory. While it appears that the Rockets have planned a future without Dwight, I can't imagine (or maybe I just don't want to) that we hired a coach to a 3 year deal simply to ensure that a player opts out of a one year deal. Seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face. 

I hate to say it but I get the feeling that our front off.... owner believes that Antoni is the guy to lead us to the mountaintop. 

#12 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 4,486 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:07 PM

I just can't get behind this theory. While it appears that the Rockets have planned a future without Dwight, I can't imagine (or maybe I just don't want to) that we hired a coach to a 3 year deal simply to ensure that a player opts out of a one year deal. Seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face. 

I hate to say it but I get the feeling that our front off.... owner believes that Antoni is the guy to lead us to the mountaintop. 

Yeah--I'm not saying that's the only reason, but that it may have been a deciding factor between the finalists.  Antoni certainly fits the organization's philosophy and should be able to get more out of James & Co.

#13 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 4,227 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 06 June 2016 - 11:46 PM

Yeah--I'm not saying that's the only reason, but that it may have been a deciding factor between the finalists.  Antoni certainly fits the organization's philosophy and should be able to get more out of James & Co.

JG I'm not saying it's a conspiracy, but it does look suspicious.........very suspicious. it's common knowledge how D-12 feels about Pringles. the Rockets hiring him all but pushed D-12 out the door considering his rocky relationship with the club at present. think about it.......it's cheaper to pay Pringles 3 year deal than it is to pay D-12 next year and Pringles don't count against the cap. like I said very very suspicious

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users