Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  YaoMan : (23 October 2015 - 04:49 PM) Zach Lowe seems to think the Rox are the biggest threat to GSW: http://grantland.com...-16-nba-season/
@  cointurtlemoose : (23 October 2015 - 04:36 PM) Hey if yall want a good podcast to listen to, find the Dunc'd On Basketball Podcast on Itunes, Rahat just did a Rockets preview with the host.
@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash

Photo

Dealing with Disaster: How the Houston Rockets can beat the injury bug

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 04:00 PM

New post: Dealing with Disaster: How the Houston Rockets can beat the injury bug
    By: Rob Dover

There has been a lot of roster turnover for the Houston Rockets over the past year. Looking back at the team from last year, a grim irony immediately leaps out - last year's roster was perfectly constructed to weather the injury storm the Rockets are facing right now. That team featured enviable depth at the point (Beverley, Lin, Brooks) as well as a plethora of capable centers (Howard, Asik, Smith), and if there were any team capable of maintaining their level of play in a crisis like this, it would be that one. But sadly the off-season departures of Lin and Asik have given the Rockets flexibility at the expense of depth. Now with Jason Terry thrust into starting duties at the point and the untested Black and Dorsey manning the middle, the Rockets will have to come up with a coping strategy to avoid losing ground in the Western Conference standings until their players can regain health. In this article I will have a look at some of the things the Rockets can try to keep winning at this difficult time.

1. Use Motiejunas

An obvious one to start - D-Mo is the Rockets' only remaining big man to be an offensive threat and in order to maintain their scoring balance on the floor they must establish his game. Over the past few games he has been scoring well out of the low block - the post game has always been his strength though, so that's not a big surprise. But I've been pleased to see the Rockets make use of Motiejunas' passing instincts in pick-and-roll situations as well. The video below shows an example play the Rockets have run several times recently with good success:

[embed][/embed]

The combination of Harden and Motiejunas can be deadly here. Defenses often show the big man defender towards Harden to get the ball out of his hands, but on the roll Motiejunas is a big enough threat to draw the help defense (in this case from Nowitzki). This causes a cascade effect where Nelson then has to help off his man to prevent Black getting a dunk, and D-Mo can pick out the wide open Patrick Beverley in the corner for the open three.

2. Extend the defense

Without Dwight Howard to patrol the paint, the Rockets do not have a convincing rim protection threat (Dorsey and Black try their best, but they're not in the same league). To make up for this, the Rockets can try to put more pressure on opposing ball-handlers far away from the rim to make it more difficult for them to slice into the lane. This was something they did a lot during the Clippers game, where ball pressure was paramount to prevent Lob City from getting in full swing, but they were doing it a bit in the Bucks game too:

The Rockets are using the mobility and length of Motiejunas (I've seen them do this with Black too) to engage in some Miami Heat-style blitz defense against the pick-and-roll. They've done a good job of doing this selectively to force turnovers when the ball is on the sideline. Having additional weapons like this in their defensive arsenal is a must to overcome the limitations enforced on the team by the injury bug.

3. React to how opponents defend Harden

There are two schools of thought when attempting to deal with opposing superstars - either get the ball out of their hands or let him get his and prevent everyone else from scoring. The Rockets are set up to exploit the decision making process when teams face this dilemma against Dwight, but they haven't yet come up with a good plan for dealing with the same decisions made against Harden. The Clippers in particular were very effective in forcing the ball out of Harden's hands, and with viable alternative ball-handlers dropping like flies, it is difficult for Houston to profit from the attention Harden draws without the ball. Here's an example:

[embed]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8q9opT9Oh8[/embed]

At the beginning of this clip, Terry tries to get some penetration to the basket. When that fails, the Clippers are able to focus three defenders on Harden and a lack of secondary action forces him into a dangerous pass that Chris Paul picks off.

Particularly in situations like the above, the Rockets need to recognize when Harden is drawing this much attention and run some secondary action to distract the defense. They also need to try to run plays where Harden catches the ball already on the move. The 1-4 flat style offense is just not going to cut it with so many of Houston's other weapons unavailable.

#2 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,008 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:12 PM

Nice article. Disagrees with half the premise. Having Asik as the backup C/ now starter would make the Rockets a better team, that is agreed apon in my eyes.

As far as the other player traded this offseason, his being on the team would not make the Rockets better. The Rockets are down their top 2 PGs, and by going off last years depth chart, Lin would then be one of the two in a suit every night. So then we are comparing today's Jason Terry to last years Aaron Brooks, and a rookie Isaiah Canaan to a rookie Nick Johnson. The differences in the PGs who would be playing on last years team vs the current PGs would be minuscule at best. And considering Lin's bottom 5 defensive win shares and your second point, it can be argued that even if Lin was playing the Rockets would be worse off compared to Terry/Johnson.

#3 clydesmoustache

clydesmoustache

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 144 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:31 AM

Though this isn't directly related to the most talked about back up pg in nba history. It did remind me of his fans that always were worried about how his feelings were hurt and comforting his fragile mindset. Pop: If i brought a player in that i have to motivate i shouldn't have brought him in. I'm an idiot!

I know i know everyone can't be the spurs but i love that quote. I don't want nice guys I want guys that have the killer instinct with ice in their veins.

#4 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,865 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 03:25 PM

New post: Dealing with Disaster: How the Houston Rockets can beat the injury bug
          By: Rob Dover

There has been a lot of roster turnover for the Houston Rockets over the past year. Looking back at the team from last year, a grim irony immediately leaps out - last year's roster was perfectly constructed to weather the injury storm the Rockets are facing right now. That team featured enviable depth at the point (Beverley, Lin, Brooks) as well as a plethora of capable centers (Howard, Asik, Smith), and if there were any team capable of maintaining their level of play in a crisis like this, it would be that one.

-0--%%%%----%%%%----%%$%%----%%%%----%%%%---%%%%----%%%%----%%%%----%%%%---0-%%%%

OK, So I can no longer Quote prior articles for whatever reason on this site.Has been like this for awhile now. Sorry for the "between articles borderline as above"

Anyway, I just wanted to make the simple point that the 2014-15 Rockets roster is much better balanced with better and motivated players than last season's. Will this lead us into much more meaningful Playoff Games going forward?

ONLY TIME WILL TELL.

#5 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,188 posts
          • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 02 December 2014 - 03:54 PM

I should say (and sorry if this wasn't clear in the article) that I'm fine with Morey's decision and in general I think I prefer this year's roster to last year's. It's just that we happen to have hit the exact injury combination that we could have dealt with last year but struggle with this year.

I reject the notion that Jason Terry is a better point guard than Jeremy Lin at this stage in his career. Lin had his faults and never topped out above mediocre as a Rocket, but one thing he could do was bend the defence with penetration. There's currently nobody on the roster outside of Harden who can do that with any consistency - certainly it's not in the JET's wheelhouse any more. We need someone to run the offence and be a threat on the drive that defences have to honour when the Beard sits. I really don't want to see Fransisco Garcia having to do that like he was doing against the Bucks at times. With another point guard McHale could have staggered the rotations to keep someone with PG skills in the game. Terry is a better shooter and a much better fit if everyone on the roster is healthy, but right now he's not quite what the Rockets need.

ST

Edited by Sir Thursday, 02 December 2014 - 03:55 PM.

#6 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 373 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 04:56 PM

McHale is doing a fine job dealing with the rash of injuries. When there is more than half the cap tied up in two players, it will always be hard to recover from injuries to three starters. Morey called up Capela. More fouls to give against Memphis?

The one thing I would not expect is for Morey to panic. The Rockets are 5-2 since Howard went down. There is no urgency to make a trade.

If I could recommend one thing to McHale it would be to raise the white flag sooner and empty the bench. The interesting thing is that the path to 60 wins is paved by dominating weak teams and playing just above .500 against strong teams. Given that there are only 12 strong teams in the league (maybe only 10) 60 wins is probably achievable if the Rockets can get healthy.

#7 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 4,125 posts
            • Locationhouston

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:55 PM

I should say (and sorry if this wasn't clear in the article) that I'm fine with Morey's decision and in general I think I prefer this year's roster to last year's. It's just that we happen to have hit the exact injury combination that we could have dealt with last year but struggle with this year.

I reject the notion that Jason Terry is a better point guard than Jeremy Lin at this stage in his career. Lin had his faults and never topped out above mediocre as a Rocket, but one thing he could do was bend the defence with penetration. There's currently nobody on the roster outside of Harden who can do that with any consistency - certainly it's not in the JET's wheelhouse any more. We need someone to run the offence and be a threat on the drive that defences have to honour when the Beard sits. I really don't want to see Fransisco Garcia having to do that like he was doing against the Bucks at times. With another point guard McHale could have staggered the rotations to keep someone with PG skills in the game. Terry is a better shooter and a much better fit if everyone on the roster is healthy, but right now he's not quite what the Rockets need.

ST

disagree........while it's true Lin's penetration of the defense created an advantage, the advantage is lost when he jumps in to the air with no idea where he is going with the ball :lol: I'm not going to go on a Lin bashing spree, however there are few players who rank below him in my opinion :lol:

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users