Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Dayak : (29 November 2014 - 01:29 AM) Canaan's ballin'. Canaanball!!! Woohoo
@  rocketrick : (28 November 2014 - 03:46 PM) As a NBA fan, looking forward to seeing the Clips battle the Rockets. Not the same situation now as later, but an indication in my view. Just happy to see a quality game over the Thanksgiving weekend 2014
@  SadLakerFan : (27 November 2014 - 05:00 AM) Another brutal game from CP. Mavs somehow win despite going 4-31 from three-pt range.
@  jorgeaam : (27 November 2014 - 02:48 AM) So hack-a-Dorsey because Howard is not playing?
@  jorgeaam : (27 November 2014 - 01:30 AM) Hahaha, let's hope they don't
@  Dayak : (27 November 2014 - 01:20 AM) They have to find a way to stop Harden either
@  jorgeaam : (26 November 2014 - 08:24 PM) No Howard or Bev tonight, let's hope we find a way to stop Boogie
@  cointurtlemoose : (25 November 2014 - 03:13 AM) Harden is beasting
@  kdo : (24 November 2014 - 01:19 AM) Sigh...Howard's out...
@  Mario Pena (... : (23 November 2014 - 03:58 AM) Talk about surviving on defense and Harden delivering! Rockets beat the Mavs!
@  jorgeaam : (23 November 2014 - 03:44 AM) Yes! Nice win today
@  jorgeaam : (23 November 2014 - 03:37 AM) It's quite satisfactory to see Harden get an And-One against Parsons
@  jorgeaam : (23 November 2014 - 03:13 AM) Most three-point field-goal attempts, game
49-Dallas vs. New Jersey, March 5, 1996

Houston has 44 so far
@  jorgeaam : (23 November 2014 - 03:12 AM) WOW, 75 combined 3PA so far, NBA record for Most three-point field-goal attempts, both teams, game was 69
@  jorgeaam : (23 November 2014 - 01:51 AM) We're on pace to break the 3pm in a game record, 12 already with 6 min remaining in first half
@  jorgeaam : (23 November 2014 - 01:48 AM) Insane 3 point shooting so far
@  Mario Pena (... : (23 November 2014 - 12:22 AM) Big man down, I repeat the big man is down! http://blog.chron.co...nee/#27967101=0
@  jorgeaam : (21 November 2014 - 10:07 PM) My bad, it's good to learn that, thanks for the input :D
@  Mario Pena (... : (21 November 2014 - 05:26 PM) jorgeaam, it's called self deprecation. It doesn't mean he's ok with people making jokes rather it's a sign of having a sense of humour regarding his defense and hthe hoopla surrounding it. On the court he has clearly shown he is not ok with the ridicule.
@  rocketrick : (21 November 2014 - 03:10 PM) Harden OK with people joking about his D?? Hello---did anyone bother to watch the game the otber night? I guess it's kinda like calling the kettle black at this point, WTF......

Photo

Houston Rockets 69, Oklahoma City Thunder 65: Let us never speak of this win again, Part II

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 03:33 AM

New post: Houston Rockets 69, Oklahoma City Thunder 65: Let us never speak of this win again, Part II
    By: Paul McGuire

In Friday’s victory over Philadelphia, Coach Kevin McHale compared the game to winning a poker hand with a 3 and a 4. If you want to continue that analogy, tonight was like winning a poker hand with a 2 and a 7 – the worst possible hand in Texas Hold ‘Em.

That’s not to say that these two games were completely the same. While the Philadelphia game was just frustrating, this was an abomination to the Rockets, the Thunder, and every unfortunate soul who was unable to change the channel. For 48 minutes, the fans got to watch brick after brick after blocked shot after testy confrontation which the referees did not do very much to quell. At the end of the night, a Houston team which shot less than 29% for the game and 53% from the foul line managed to escape despite just scoring 69 points. It is the lowest amount of points scored by a winning team since 1997.

If there is anything which can actually be learned from this game, it is how much good rim protectors can change a defense. While there are many great perimeter defenders in the league, the history of the NBA shows that a team’s defense almost always rises and falls depending on the defensive ability of their big men. The injured Thunder do not have a lot of offensive firepower, and primary scorer Reggie Jackson was shut down for most of the night by Patrick Beverley in his return to the court as well as Trevor Ariza. But the Thunder still possess four excellent defensive big men in Kendrick Perkins, Nick Collison, Serge Ibaka, and Steven Adams. Adams and Ibaka in particular terrorized any Houston players who came within the paint. They finished with 11 blocks, but even that understates their impact. By the second half, there were several moments when Rockets had good chances to finish at the rim yet hesitated due to the psychological impact of the multiple blocks.

With the paint almost entirely cut off, Houston was forced to rely on a jump shot which was just not there for any player. No one shot over 40% from the field, and Coach Kevin McHale grew so frustrated with the lack of offensive production that he sent Troy Daniels out onto the floor at the beginning of the fourth quarter as a spark plug. Even that failed to work, as Daniels did not score a single point.

Howard in the meantime was pushed around by the Thunder big men, who fouled him relentlessly to force him to the line. As great as Howard has been this season, his struggles with the free throw shot are bigger than ever before. After shooting 3-12 against Philadelphia, he made just 4 out of 13 free throws tonight. He is averaging just 47% from the line for the season. Thanks to Howard’s struggles and the Thunder defense, the Rockets scored just 2 points in the paint for the entire second half. 2.

But despite the struggle through the game, the more talented Rockets managed to stay ahead for most of the game. Harden and Ariza struggled to score just as much as everyone else, but they still managed to hit some big three pointers during the fourth quarter. Patrick Beverley got a key rebound at the end, Thunder guard Reggie Jackson bricked a three-pointer in the final seconds, and the Rockets won this horrible, terrible game. Let us hope that the Thunder will fall out of the playoff race early in the season, for I surely do not wish to face this team in the first round.

The now 9-1 Rockets will be rewarded for this defensive victory…by playing the even more defensive-minded Memphis Grizzlies tomorrow. In Memphis. On the second night of a back to back. Oh, and Terrence Jones will almost certainly still be out, which means that Houston’s thin frontcourt will have to cobble together a solution against Zach Randolph and a revitalized Marc Gasol.

That will certainly be interesting.

#2 egoodman36

egoodman36

• Members
    • Pip
    • 1 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 04:38 AM

HOU@OKC first time both teams in same game scored less than 70 pts since 3/13/2005, 11th time ever - http://bit.ly/1sP5Z6J 

#3 Lucas Daniel Uribe

Lucas Daniel Uribe

• Members
      • Pip
      • 12 posts
      • LocationTygh Valley, OR

Posted 17 November 2014 - 05:03 AM

<br /><br /><p>We might lose. But we will be up for this game. Let's go Rockets</p>

#4 marbony81110

marbony81110

• Members
      • Pip
      • 41 posts
      • LocationGermany

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:21 AM

This was another ugly game put on by the Rockets. All I can say is that they would have lost a game like this bad, like doube digit bad, if they played defense like they did last year. Even though they were struggling they still played tough. That is the ONLY positive I can find in this victory. I have never seen an entire team struggle to shoot the ball like that for an entire game. Here's hoping they can get out of this funk. At least they are still putting numbers in the "W" column.

#5 Bigtkirk

Bigtkirk

Rookie

• Members
      • PipPip
      • 86 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:08 PM

This game was made substantially more ugly by the incompetence of the officiating crew. They completely lost control of the game in the second half.

#6 Alituro

Alituro

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 479 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:40 PM

Without our improved defensive effort this season, we would easily be with a 6-4 or even a 5-5 record. Tonight will be the ultimate test and I expect another ugly outing. The bright spot is, now it seems we can hang with any team in the league, and be in a position to win a game regardless of any offensive woes. It's OK to struggle with shooting through stretches, because it happens to every team, but if you can cause your opponent the same struggles then you are always in a position to win. This game doesn't really bother me as far as our ability to hang with OKC once KD and RW get back. They won't be playing the same style and will have at least two more guys on the floor whose primary focus is scoring, which we will be better at stopping this year, and they won't be able to stop us as easily without their tribe of ogres being on the floor for the entire 48.

Hopefully McHale decided to rest Canaan last night to have him better prepared and fresh against Conley tonight. Canaan would have probably been ineffectual against the bigger Jackson last night. We are going to need our offense to be clicking on all cylinders tonight to gain any type of edge over this Memphis team. Having Beverley on the floor affords Conley some defensive rest and may enable him to get going offensively, Canaan matches up with him well, size-wise and can make him work harder on both ends, plus he will be our only fresh player. Any type of post play coming from half court sets is going to be hard to score by. We need another outside threat, especially one that can penetrate and dish on a regular basis. If we can collapse their defense on a driving guard, then we open up opportunities along the perimeter in the form of open shots or slashing opportunities. With their size and defensive chops, we are not going to do well in the PnR's tonight, nor any isos, as long as Memphis can stay at home against their man, then they will have the upper hand. We need to stir up their defense to gain any edge, and that's not going to happen with Howard Post-ups, Harden Iso's, and will be tough on H-H PnRs. We need to go early in the shot clock, continually, and push the pace as hard as we can to keep Gasol and Randolph running and to keep Conley on his heels. If we can push the score to 75-80 points to start Q4 and have a 8-10 pt lead, than it should be in the bag. If not, it will be close and come down to the wire, but with our new-found defensive chops, we will still have a chance. If we let them dictate the pace, then it will be ugly from bell to bell.

#7 John P

John P

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 101 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 04:01 PM

wow...that was ugly. I only tuned in at the end of the 3rd due to family obliations, but I can't say I feel bad missing it now.  I think the big takeaways are:

1) obviously, a hugely improved D for us.  Kudos for the guys for grinding it through.   That is great practice for later in the season/playoffs

2) Dwight has his limitations.  Thunder's bench gave him issues last year as well.  They just have his number.   It should be even worse via Memphis.

-honestly, I can easily see this team losing this game last year.  We blew a lot of chances like this over and over last year.  now we have more D, more heart, more determination.  that is the silver lining.

-oh Offense, where have you gone?     this is two games against sub par teams where our O has sucked.  Why?  Is Harden already burned out carrying the load?   it may be impossible from a chemistry sense, but trading for Rondo, as an elite play maker, makes sense.   I easily see how chemistry this screws this up, but grabbing a Millsap to upgrade at PF doesn't solve our creation problems when Harden sits.

-at this point I would trade for Aaron Brooks to get his offense/creation abilities back for the second unit.

-i am sure there are other offensive creators out there so ID them fast.  We need them.

-Wishlist: Millsap, Brooks/someone like Brooks, decent backup center.

Is that too much to ask?  I have been good this year Santa, I promise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users