Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  cointurtlemoose : (25 November 2014 - 03:13 AM) Harden is beasting
@  kdo : (24 November 2014 - 01:19 AM) Sigh...Howard's out...
@  Mario Pena (... : (23 November 2014 - 03:58 AM) Talk about surviving on defense and Harden delivering! Rockets beat the Mavs!
@  jorgeaam : (23 November 2014 - 03:44 AM) Yes! Nice win today
@  jorgeaam : (23 November 2014 - 03:37 AM) It's quite satisfactory to see Harden get an And-One against Parsons
@  jorgeaam : (23 November 2014 - 03:13 AM) Most three-point field-goal attempts, game
49-Dallas vs. New Jersey, March 5, 1996

Houston has 44 so far
@  jorgeaam : (23 November 2014 - 03:12 AM) WOW, 75 combined 3PA so far, NBA record for Most three-point field-goal attempts, both teams, game was 69
@  jorgeaam : (23 November 2014 - 01:51 AM) We're on pace to break the 3pm in a game record, 12 already with 6 min remaining in first half
@  jorgeaam : (23 November 2014 - 01:48 AM) Insane 3 point shooting so far
@  Mario Pena (... : (23 November 2014 - 12:22 AM) Big man down, I repeat the big man is down! http://blog.chron.co...nee/#27967101=0
@  jorgeaam : (21 November 2014 - 10:07 PM) My bad, it's good to learn that, thanks for the input :D
@  Mario Pena (... : (21 November 2014 - 05:26 PM) jorgeaam, it's called self deprecation. It doesn't mean he's ok with people making jokes rather it's a sign of having a sense of humour regarding his defense and hthe hoopla surrounding it. On the court he has clearly shown he is not ok with the ridicule.
@  rocketrick : (21 November 2014 - 03:10 PM) Harden OK with people joking about his D?? Hello---did anyone bother to watch the game the otber night? I guess it's kinda like calling the kettle black at this point, WTF......
@  jorgeaam : (21 November 2014 - 01:25 AM)
@  jorgeaam : (21 November 2014 - 01:25 AM) I don't know if you guys have seen this, but it seems Harden is ok with people joking about his D
@  cointurtlemoose : (20 November 2014 - 08:09 AM) But Papa is great. What a dude. I <3 Papa. I need a t-shirt with that on it.
@  cointurtlemoose : (20 November 2014 - 08:03 AM) This was one of those times where our 'late game - small lead' tactics (or lack thereof) makes me want to explode...
@  SadLakerFan : (20 November 2014 - 05:19 AM) Rockets seemed in control for most of the game, but Lakers closed on a 12-1 run. Will wait for the analysis tomorrow.
@  Cooper : (20 November 2014 - 05:13 AM) yeah, well and jones hard to win without starters in a position we aren't particularly deep at in the first place still terrible loss.
@  jorgeaam : (20 November 2014 - 05:09 AM) are we really that dependent on Dwight? 2 out of our 3 losses when he's out

Photo

One injury away...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 adonneus

adonneus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 02:16 PM

When people say "all it takes is one or two injuries" or "the Rockets are one or two injuries away" from a much poorer season than expected, is this a situation is especially true for the Rockets?

It has been clear this season that the Thunder were one or two injuries from possibly missing the playoffs, and the Bulls have obviously been affected by one chronically injured player. It seems that almost every good team is one or two injuries away from missing the playoffs in the West or performing poorly in the East. Why is this brought up so frequently when discussing the Rockets' having Harden or Howard injured?

#2 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,205 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 06:10 PM

I think mostly because Dwight's back injury is fresh in everyones minds and theres a stigma that those are a recurring type of injury and we aren't very deep in most peoples perception that isn't necessarily true with canaan/papa looking good, on the average night one of dmo or black is likely to be at least solid and terry is surprisingly serviceable.  Also the spurs are seen as able to handle injuries well enough so no one worries about them. And theres a belief the clips/gs could handle an injury or two since they did last year but that is starting to change for the clips who are paper thin now. 

Edited by Cooper, 13 November 2014 - 06:17 PM.

#3 SadLakerFan

SadLakerFan

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 145 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 04:23 AM

Why are Rockets fans so concerned? Hmmmm. Do the names Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady ring any bells?

#4 clydesmoustache

clydesmoustache

• Members
        • Pip
        • 49 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:43 AM

Why are Rockets fans so concerned? Hmmmm. Do the names Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady ring any bells?

A proud history of worry! :) To a lesser extent Hakeem and Barkley. Juwan Howard. I also have heard about Ralph Sampson but back in those days i only cared about He-man thunder cats and transformers!

#5 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 3,659 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:38 PM

Yes, yes, yes....we all know about that.  I would counter with the reality that they are different human beings.  I mean, you forgot Steve Francis and Brent Price.  Heck, throw Tomjanovich in there too.

If humanity lived by this logic (the logic of fear) we would not have just landed a probe on a comet, climb Mt. Everest, walk tightropes across ridiculous spans, or, my favorite, have demolition derbies.

Dwight Howard, in his interview posted on ESPN (a good read if anyone hasn't read it yet), said the following--which I find appropriate to the topic.

HOWARD: [Laughs] If you get on me for that album, that's totally fine, because one thing I've learned from all of this is you gotta live your life. You only have one life. If you don't live it the way you want to live it, you'll regret it later. I don't want to be that 60-year-old who has regrets because I lived my life based on what other people said about me. I wouldn't wish that on anybody.

He was replying to a question about making music, but his philosophy comes through.  Just let him be him--it's the best life HE could have and that's what is most important--not what we want for him.

Remember, the Spurs (because that is what this is really about, isn't it?) didn't always rest their guys the way people here want to rest ours.  It took time.  It took having 3 future hall of famers (one of which is the one of the best of all time) who mastered the game and won 4 championships (5 now, but it started after 4) plus had such longevity that the GM was able to build a solid team and system around those guys.  It's not something you can decide you want and just run to the store and get one.  It's a perfect storm and they are rare.

Steve Kerr was recently asked about resting his players a la Popovich (when SA was in town) and he replied with this:

“As soon as I win five championships,” he said, breaking up the room. “I will employ that strategy very liberally. People can say what they want, and I won’t care.”

And that is Steve Kerr....who knows Pop--he played for him.  Heck, he helped set up the magical and mystical training staff in Phoenix--who better to know about the benefits of rest and the risk of injury.  It's not as simple as people want it to be.  It is simply something that cannot be controlled.

Fatigue?  Eat a banana, eat some pasta, drink some water, stretch a little and you're good to go  B)  Harden/Howard can take a couple games off in March.  Until then, it's go time.

#6 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPipPip
          • 601 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 10:56 PM

Every team is one big injury on a star player going from a playoff team to likely missing the playoffs and for some lottery.

Our stars are not aging stars like the spurs so they don't need the games off unless they ask for it or have some lingering issues around feb/march trying to get ready for the playoffs. Accident happens, and most injuries are just coincidences. Hopefully we had our fair share for the past decade and we can now be fairly injury free.

#7 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
            • 1,230 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:54 PM

I think every team is one star injury away from disaster, so the Rockets are no different from anyone else in that regard.  I'm more surprised that we've managed to go 8-1 without Beverley and Terrence Jones.  Those are the two most underrated injuries in the league.  Not to play martyr again, but that's something no one is really talking about.

#8 Steven

Steven

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPip
              • 1,879 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 09:04 PM

We ain't worried about injuries.

Attached Files

#9 bboley24

bboley24

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 362 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 03:21 PM

Oh Stevie Franchise and the demons in his head....

#10 kdo

kdo

• Members
                  • Pip
                  • 24 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:32 AM

I just want to chime in based on the games I've seen so far...

If Harden OR Howard gets injured (knock on wood), I think we'd still be competitive, enough for a 6-7 seed. Just not both.

I hate to shout the old cliche "this team is deep" as if that really means anything without contributions from at least 1 or 2 elite players (I.E. OKC), but I think with what I've observed with Houston it's a little more than that.

I think, as of this moment, based on what little sample size I've observed, we are "synergistically" deep, which is powerful...Spurs-level synergy deep, if you know what I mean.

The lynchpin to me now is simply McHale. I hope he can consistently utilize our players right, and at the right times.

Edited by kdo, 17 November 2014 - 01:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users