Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Cooper : (19 May 2014 - 12:08 AM) wiggins and Parker are pretty much locked in at the 1-2 spots, embiid, exum, randle are interchangeable based on team needs.
@  jorgeaam : (18 May 2014 - 11:51 PM) Also, you've got Wiggins, Parker and Embiid, there's almost no way he goes #1 or even #2
@  jorgeaam : (18 May 2014 - 11:51 PM) Uhm, I don't know about Exum going #1, he was sold as a Westbrook-esque athlete, but his max vert was 34.5, not good for a player who'll make his living around the basket
@  Buckko : (18 May 2014 - 10:17 PM) Unless the lakers win the lottery rocketrick, exum wouldn't go below 4th and I wouldn't be shocked if he went #1.
@  Buckko : (18 May 2014 - 10:16 PM) That's why they kept mchale-LOVE
@  feelingsuper... : (18 May 2014 - 09:15 PM) Love also said he wants to play for a contender and the Lakers are years away from contending, especially with Jim Buss at the helm.
@  miketheodio : (18 May 2014 - 09:08 PM) sick of the officials. this ind vs mia isn't fun to watch.
@  jorgeaam : (18 May 2014 - 08:26 PM) Because Love has said he wants to play for the Lakers, so we don't want Love to toy around for 1 year and leave on the next
@  jorgeaam : (18 May 2014 - 08:25 PM) So, the only way the rockets should get Love is if they can work out a contract extension before trading for him, like they did with Harden
@  jorgeaam : (18 May 2014 - 08:24 PM) Well, that could be an option for Love too, I actually think that if the lakers get the chance to pick Exum (by means of a high lottery pick) they will and they'll wait for next year to get Love as an UFA
@  feelingsuper... : (18 May 2014 - 07:36 PM) Wojnarowski is reporting that the Rockets will be aggressive in bringing Kevin Love to Houston by way of Kevin McHale's relationship with him. Goodbye Chandler Parsons.
@  rocketrick : (18 May 2014 - 03:55 PM) The Lakers should have a high Lottery pick in the upcoming Draft. Will find out Tuesday night how high their pick is.
@  jorgeaam : (18 May 2014 - 03:53 PM) Interesting, Minnesota can now trade him on draft day to the Lakers
@  rocketrick : (18 May 2014 - 03:52 PM) Kevin Love has told Minnesota he will NOT re-sign with them effectively making him an UFA next summer unless Minnesota trades him before then
@  08huangj : (15 May 2014 - 01:02 AM) No need to be so angry...
@  thenit : (14 May 2014 - 11:15 PM) Never said I want to trade them but have said that I don't like McHale and that he should get canned, but Harden needs to wake up, all other elite players even when young tries to play D, look at all the other top 10 players in the league, Curry is not the best defender but he is not that bad because he makes an effort, Lillard makes an effort and all other young stars, the only other one who doesn't give a chili con carne enchilada about D is Irving and look at how well the Cavs are doing. End of rant
@  thenit : (14 May 2014 - 11:13 PM) So stop being a gawl-darn-boo-boo face when you say that you have asked me that questions many times and many times in each post I have said that there are only 2 players in the league I swap Harden with and its KD and LBJ but I have higher expectations of a player of harden's caliber so maybe you are just happy with stagnation
@  thenit : (14 May 2014 - 11:11 PM) But when he calls Bev off on Lillard in the last play of game 6 you can't blame harden for making a horrendous call or his poor defensive game. End of discussion for me, I guess McHale and Harden are infallible and just let them keep doing what they are doing because its clearly working and improving, I haven't seen any gosh-darn-diddily-iddily changes from last season in effort on D from last year and I guess we should just let him keep learning slowly until our window runs out
@  thenit : (14 May 2014 - 11:08 PM) But you can bury anyone else on the team but never Harden. Example Lin boneheaded play in game 4 he was hung out and rightfully so, but when Harden doesn't do his part in the series and when his shots doesn't fall he doesn't contribute in D that's for me alarming that you can't bring it in the playoffs.
@  thenit : (14 May 2014 - 11:07 PM) I have in all my post never said we should trade either of them unless they want out themselves, but its sad that you can't critique the players that would impact our chances the most or the coach without being accused of not being a fan of the team

Photo

Summer 2014 Trade Discussion

62 replies to this topic

#1 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 2,986 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:15 PM

Since it's on most everyone's mind and popping up in lots of different threads I thought we'd just open up an official thread for all kinds of personnel talk.  Whether it's who to sign, trade for, keep, or get rid of--let the armchair GM's do their thing :)

I'll post some useful references so that we can all refer to them easily.

Here is our salary status:

Note that the "Total Figures" at the bottom are all-inclusive and are not indicative of our "cap total".  For instance, next season we are set to pay $71, 980, 426, but we need to deduct Scola's salary, reduce Lin and Asik to $8.4M (roughly), and Parsons' contract may change as well.  LINK to source.

Here is another that breaks it down with the Salary Cap in mind...sorry the top got cut off.

SOURCE

Per ESPN.com, this is roughly what the league salary caps will be next season:

"Sources told ESPN.com that all 30 teams were informed this week via league memorandum that an increase in the cap from this season's $58.6 million to $63.2 million in 2014-15 -- thanks to increased revenues -- is now expected. A corresponding rise in the luxury-tax threshold from $71.7 million to $77 million is also projected, sources said."

So that leaves lots and lots of room to play with (although it goes fast :( )

Here are some links to Free Agent Listings:

HoopsHype

ESPN

And what would we do without the TRADE MACHINE?

(all potential trades will be ripped apart so post with caution :P)

FYI: Rondo is making roughly $12M next year and Melo is set to make roughly $24M for a max deal.

This is what I read about his potential next contract:

"The Knicks can offer him up to $129 million over five seasons, while other suitors max out at four years and $96 million. "

Finally, here is a WIKI that explains trade rules, salary cap, and various exceptions, etc.  Most questions can be answered here.  Larry Coon's page is considered the end-all-be-all source for CBA knowledge.  Check it out HERE.

#2 Steven

Steven

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:36 PM

Trade Asik and Lin to anybody plus a first, sign LeBron. My offseason is done.

#3 Matt Maloney's Ghost

Matt Maloney's Ghost

• Members
    • Pip
    • 40 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:26 AM

To be honest, the only thing I see is Morey going after someone like Gortat (free agent), a sign and trade deal. He'll make the calls for Melo and Love, but I don't see anything happening.

You have to hope for growth from Harden to Parsons.

Our only trade piece is Asik and TJones and DMo.

Trading Lin will be impossible. Nobody wants that guy unless we give up TJones or Parsons. I'm not a Lin hater, he is a solid player and I really liked on how he responded after Game 4 but 15 MIL ( 8 MIL against the Cap), that's a tough pill to swallow. 

#4 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 2,986 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 May 2014 - 04:12 AM

To be honest, the only thing I see is Morey going after someone like Gortat (free agent), a sign and trade deal. He'll make the calls for Melo and Love, but I don't see anything happening.

You have to hope for growth from Harden to Parsons.

Our only trade piece is Asik and TJones and DMo.

Trading Lin will be impossible. Nobody wants that guy unless we give up TJones or Parsons. I'm not a Lin hater, he is a solid player and I really liked on how he responded after Game 4 but 15 MIL ( 8 MIL against the Cap), that's a tough pill to swallow. 

I'm not sure about Gortat.  I like him and I know Morey had shown interest in the past, but at this point we would wind up with another disgruntled back-up center making too much money.  I don't think that's very likely.

I don't think Love is an option unless Morey is willing to empty the cupboard and 1-2 other teams get involved.  Melo, on the other hand, is very much in play.  Phil Jackson is charming, I'm sure, but there is just no way to paint a bright future for New York.  Their best way out of this is to deal Melo and reload that way.

Which leads to my next thought.  Lin is a tough trade piece, but not impossible.  I think 4 teams could legitimately be interested in him right now (that could change depending on player movement).  First, I'd say every team knows he is available which means if they think he has value (data supports that Lin is a strong player at PG when given the reins of the offense--someone will gamble) they can shop their own PG trying to upgrade another position and then go after him.

Back to the 4 teams: New York, Orlando, Sacramento, and Chicago.  The Knicks are obvious, plus this could be a big part of a Melo deal.  Orlando is about to let Jameer Nelson walk.  They just got out from under $22M of Gilbert Arenas amnesty money when this season ended so Lin's $15M won't scare them.  Oladipo and Lin would make for a fun and exciting young back court to build around and Vucevic is a good Center to build around.  Afflalo has two more years on his contract and I don't think Orlando got what they wanted out of him.  Afflalo is making about $7.5M so the money works and he gives us a solid back up SG who can play some SF and has a reputation for playing good defense.  The only question is if he is willing to be the 6th man.

Sacramento is in play.  They've got DeMarcus Cousins locked up until 2018 and he is getting ridiculously good.  Rudy Gay is on board for next season at least.  They have McCallum signed through 2016, but he isn't ready.  Isaiah Thomas is a free agent and there is no guarantee he wants to stay or that they want him.  Also, Ben McLemore is a project they are going to stick with.  New ownership would like nothing better than to get a floor general who can right the ship and get them into the post-season.  It also won't hurt advertising revenues and being a West Coast team helps for marketing as well.  Would Morey ship out Lin for Reggie Evans (a proven rebounder/bruiser/defender) and Jason Terry (a veteran scorer with finals experience who can keep the offense humming when Harden sits) who are both expiring contracts (keeps us set up for 2015)?  Maybe...plus, I wouldn't mind seeing what Lin, McLemore, Gay, Thompson/Outlaw, and Cousins could do.  There's a lot to like there.

Chicago????  Yes, Chicago.  Derrick Rose is a giant question mark.  Bringing in Lin gives them either a solid 6th man, or insurance in case Rose's knee falls off.  Boozer wants out and just happens to make $16.8M next season.  I think Chicago would trade for Lin+Asik straight up for Boozer.  (It would be tough to root for Boozer, but there is no denying the man knows how to score in the post, from mid, and plays sound defense.  I think he would be a great compliment to Dwight in the front court)  Chicago gets Lin, plus I think they would toy with a twin towers of their own--depending on the team, Noah and Asik can give them a ridiculous defensive presence.  Depending on who they ask for, we might even get them to add Mike Dunleavy for a prospect or two.  It's a little far-fetched, but I think it's plausible enough to mention.  Lin could also play alongside Rose giving them a starting 5 of Rose, Lin, Butler, and 2 of Noah, Gibson, and Asik.  That's pretty good.

Until other moves happen I don't think any other teams would give us value or even want Lin as they have PG's they like already.  Ultimately, I think the Rockets like Lin and still see potential there.  They won't trade him just to get rid of him.  The odds are he only gets moved in a 3rd star scenario.

#5 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 2,089 posts
      • LocationAlabama

Posted 10 May 2014 - 04:18 AM

Afflalo for Lin????

You all know I'm higher on Lin than most on this board but that trade doesn't work unless there's a 1st in there.

Why so Serious? :D

#6 Matt Maloney's Ghost

Matt Maloney's Ghost

• Members
      • Pip
      • 40 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 04:39 AM

@thejohnnygold,

Sac-town would be very interesting for Lin but I don't the parts to benefit us. Maybe Landry?

ORL - I would love Affalo. I think thats the piece! Parsons would have to be ok with coming off the bench. Affalo is better. 

CHI - Their Owner is way too cheap to pay Lin and Asik.

But if we can get Affalo, I would love that.

#7 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 3,508 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:55 AM

@JG

I agree NY or Orlando could be Lin's next stop. even without the star option the Orlando option gives us a better fit for our team and a better overall player. I disagree Chicago or Sac will be interested. Lin has NO value. we are going to have to sweeten any deal involving him. we are lucky he is in the last year of his deal which makes swallowing his deal a little less painful for his suitors. the likelihood the Rockets keep him are slim IMO. his fit is bad and he struggles with confidence and consistency. the Rockets will be looking to stabilize Lin's roll next year with a different player.  

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#8 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,036 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:15 AM

Signing Gortat would make zero sense.

I would probably try and start Harden Aflallo and Parsons on the wing if they could get him. Afflalo plus picks and one of their young guys is the magics best chance to get a real star not sure they would be willing to give that chance up for lin but if the rockets were sending a pick or perhaps TJones since they don't really have a pf, it seems like decent value and fills a glaring need for them.

The bulls would love to dump boozer on anyone but thats just not a good deal in that case it would be better to roll with asik and lin.

Never know what the kings are going to do so there could be a potential deal, I don't think they can afford Thomas long term if Gay decides to stick around. 

#9 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 2,986 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 May 2014 - 04:45 PM

@JG

I agree NY or Orlando could be Lin's next stop. even without the star option the Orlando option gives us a better fit for our team and a better overall player. I disagree Chicago or Sac will be interested. Lin has NO value. we are going to have to sweeten any deal involving him. we are lucky he is in the last year of his deal which makes swallowing his deal a little less painful for his suitors. the likelihood the Rockets keep him are slim IMO. his fit is bad and he struggles with confidence and consistency. the Rockets will be looking to stabilize Lin's roll next year with a different player.  

Oh come on, RBF--you've got to admit that your valuation of Lin is skewed too low.  If guys like Brandon Jennings, Jose Calderon, Raymond Felton, and the like can get jobs then Lin can too.  There are owners and GM's who will be willing to gamble on the idea that he actually was "held back" here and that if they give him the keys to the car he'll be a 20 & 10 guy--at worst 18 & 8.  They'll see that stellar winning % when Harden was out.  They'll see the numbers that indicate he gets better when he takes more shots.  Largely, they will be correct.  Now, we know he is too mistake prone (at least for now) and is also too streaky (again, for now) to consistently lead a team....but I think there are teams willing to take a chance--especially when it is just one year.

I could see him getting to New York, and with a healthy (big ifs) Chandler and Stoudemire be an ideal PG to pick n roll opponents to death.  Hardaway Jr. is a good developing SG and they can use Shump as a 3 & D guy to plug in at SF around that core.  In the East, they could easily wind up in the 4th seed.....if healthy. 

I know you're down on Lin and nothing I say will change that, but I disagree with your valuation of him and I think other teams will as well.

#10 Matt Maloney's Ghost

Matt Maloney's Ghost

• Members
          • Pip
          • 40 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:04 PM

@Cooper,

I don't see how Gortat doesn't make any sense. If Nene and Gortat can play together, then DH and Gortat can play together. Gortat isn't as good defensively as Asik, but he can finish at the rim and space the floor better and is way more mobile. Asik, I love his effort but his foot speed is just too slow against OKC, and the Clips. We have to remind ourselves that those are the teams of the future. ( I still think the Blazers are overrated) This has to be, the Spurs last run.

If we get our hands on Afflalo, Parson would have to come off the bench. There is no way we can play Parsons, Harden, and Afflalo in the same lineup. I'm totally in love with Afflalo with this team.

The idea that we need a third superstar is crazy, I think we need tough minded role players (besides Beverly) and have Harden grow up. The guy is just 24 years old. Next year, will be a very important for Harden, it will be career defining and we have to hope that he trends toward superstar than Jamal Crawford. 

#11 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,036 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:01 PM

Gortat plays down low with nene hovering around the top of the key and baselines, Dwight can't do that, he doesn't have the shot or passing skills of nene. Harden wouldn't have any room to drive.

I don't see why afflalo harden and parsons couldn't play together it's not like Beverley is a way better passer than any of those guys and they already hide harden on defense so that wouldn't be an issue.

#12 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 3,508 posts
              • Locationhouston

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:18 PM

@JG

looking at it objectively I am personally more critical of Lin than most. in my view Lin has hit his ceiling. I know many don't agree with that assessment, but IMO I feel I have watched him long enough to make such a call. many feel the problem is his fit here. I don't. I believe he plays marginal because he's a marginal player. streaky, inconsistent, makes bad decisions with the ball, struggles with confidence, defensively challenged, turnover machine, any and all of these phrases could describe him. at a time when he should be in his prime he makes the mistakes of a rookie. I hear the arguments that we must wait for him to grow up, but we must also face the fact that this may never happen. Lin is 25, he's been around long enough where some of the critical points I listed above should be disappearing but that's not happening and IMO the reason that's not happening is IT DOESN'T GET ANY BETTER THAN THIS. this is who Lin is. we either accept it and work around it or ship him to the first willing taker. if one was to be honest about the situation you would have to admit that in 2013-14 Lin looked just like 2012-13 version. little to no change from his play. if he was unable to improve this year. what positive factor can you point to that says next year will be different? I'm not talking about hoping he can get better with no clear cut path to doing so, but something concrete we can hang our hats on. we all know his short comings, but how long is an acceptable timeframe for allowing him an opportunity to overcome this 2 years? 3 years? 10? fact is we must accept the fact that all players don't improve. some simply don't have drive or physical abilities or even basketball IQ to do so. I believe Lin has the drive, but is lacking in the other two areas. that's my reason for the conclusion he has reached his ceiling. he would have value if it wasn't for his contract. I know you have heard of being upside down in a car deal when trying to trade in a car, well we are upside down on Lin making the little value he has irrelevant

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#13 autoprt

autoprt

• Members
              • Pip
              • 6 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:57 PM

lin gets a pretty bad knock from folks but he's still early in his career and unfortunately mchale isn't the best coach to have if you're learning the pg position.  as tony parker said pop would be on him until he really learned the position. lin or bev doesn't have that luxury. mark jackson would be an ideal coach for our pg's who still have a lot to learn if we aren't going to bring in a pg. 

Looking forward to the Rockets making the finals in 2014-15!

#14 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPip
                • 1,036 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:06 PM

What does mark jackson know about coaching pgs?

#15 autoprt

autoprt

• Members
                  • Pip
                  • 6 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:08 PM

since he played in the nba as one he sure as heck would know more about the position than mchale would.  

#16 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • 3,508 posts
                    • Locationhouston

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:06 PM

@autoprt

WELCOME TO THE FORUM :) I agree Mark Jackson would know more about playing PG than McFail, however even with all of McFail's shortcomings the problem is deeper than just poor guidance from the coach. we simply don't have enough talent at the PG position. you can't start with a lemon when your trying to build a Ferrari. to hire Mark Jackson here would be a mistake. while I believe him to be a decent coach, his fit here would be like trying to put a square block in a round hole.........it simply won't work. we don't need a motivational speaker. we need a real coach who understands fundamental basketball and is able to teach it to his team while holding the team accountable for their play. Jackson like McFail would find this to be beyond his field of expertise

#17 autoprt

autoprt

• Members
                    • Pip
                    • 6 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:11 AM

yes, you make good points. i'm pretty familiar with the rox, not sure why i hadn't paid as much attention this year to this site won't go into a bash fest of other rox fan sites regarding toxicity but so far from being here there is a nice vibe in the conversation.  curious to know who you think would be a good fit?

#18 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                      • 3,508 posts
                      • Locationhouston

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:20 AM

@autoprt

if it was left to me JVG would be our next coach. he fits all the things we need from the position right now

#19 RocketMansinceStevieFrance

RocketMansinceStevieFrance

Rookie

• Members
                      • PipPip
                      • 69 posts
                      • LocationAltus, Oklahoma

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:35 AM

I want Rondo... Just because I am biased towards him (he is one of my favorites) and I want him running our offense. Lol in my mind he would complement not only the offense by his passing abilities but his defense is very good. 

#WHY NOT RONDO? 

#20 Rockets911

Rockets911

• Members
                      • Pip
                      • 43 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:19 AM

@JG
                        looking at it objectively I am personally more critical of Lin than most. in my view Lin has hit his ceiling. I know many don't agree with that assessment, but IMO I feel I have watched him long enough to make such a call. many feel the problem is his fit here. I don't. I believe he plays marginal because he's a marginal player. streaky, inconsistent, makes bad decisions with the ball, struggles with confidence, defensively challenged, turnover machine, any and all of these phrases could describe him. at a time when he should be in his prime he makes the mistakes of a rookie. I hear the arguments that we must wait for him to grow up, but we must also face the fact that this may never happen. Lin is 25, he's been around long enough where some of the critical points I listed above should be disappearing but that's not happening and IMO the reason that's not happening is IT DOESN'T GET ANY BETTER THAN THIS. this is who Lin is. we either accept it and work around it or ship him to the first willing taker. if one was to be honest about the situation you would have to admit that in 2013-14 Lin looked just like 2012-13 version. little to no change from his play. if he was unable to improve this year. what positive factor can you point to that says next year will be different? I'm not talking about hoping he can get better with no clear cut path to doing so, but something concrete we can hang our hats on. we all know his short comings, but how long is an acceptable timeframe for allowing him an opportunity to overcome this 2 years? 3 years? 10? fact is we must accept the fact that all players don't improve. some simply don't have drive or physical abilities or even basketball IQ to do so. I believe Lin has the drive, but is lacking in the other two areas. that's my reason for the conclusion he has reached his ceiling. he would have value if it wasn't for his contract. I know you have heard of being upside down in a car deal when trying to trade in a car, well we are upside down on Lin making the little value he has irrelevant

Your lack of the whole Lin situation and opinion is disturbing.
                        I see a guy that got better offensively and defensively this year. His fg%, 3pt.% both went up. His defense got better unlike the so called star on the team who got worse. The guy with the beard. You know who I'm talking about. Lins D was actually pretty solid in the post season. You mention "turnover machine ". I mention the guy with the beard again. Streaky/Inconsistent you say? I see a lot of good consistency when you give him consistent minutes and shots and a lot of bad when he doesn't. I'll revert back to what JG said when Harden was out and when ever Lin shoots 12+ shots. Unlike a lot of players, when he actually shoots more, his TS%, EFG%, FG% is even higher.

He's reached his ceiling! Actually no he's just getting started. Your perception of him is due to your frustration for what you "think" he should do compared to the position he is in to meet those expectations. He needs out of Houston where he could actually play his game. If we get Melo we can be a top 2 seed, and Asik/Parsons/Lin are traded to NY, I guarantee Lin avgs atleast 18/8 shooting over 45% which is damn good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users