Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  miketheodio : (07 May 2014 - 05:16 AM) robin lopez after the game 1 lost - with Houston, there wasn't that much pressure on defense and offensively, they focused a lot more on isolation game whereas San Antonio's swinging the ball' ugh
@  rockets best... : (07 May 2014 - 04:12 AM) amazing the difference a good coach can make.
@  Cooper : (07 May 2014 - 03:47 AM) It is only one game but definitely makes you wonder
@  rockets best... : (07 May 2014 - 02:51 AM) the Spurs are doing what we should have done......hang ten. we should have had so much foot up their butt their sh*t had footprints
@  miketheodio : (07 May 2014 - 02:42 AM) so is portland great or just okay. they are getting dominated by the spurs. rockets performance is embarrassing compared to this.
@  feelingsuper... : (07 May 2014 - 01:05 AM) What was his motto? "No excuses" which is kind of funny now.
@  feelingsuper... : (07 May 2014 - 01:04 AM) No matter how good one is or how right for the job one may be if you don't understand organizational politics someone above you will crush you. He knew he'd lost and went out kicking and screaming like baby.
@  rockets best... : (07 May 2014 - 12:16 AM) I think GSW will regret this move by this time next year. full of himself or not he was the right coach for them
@  feelingsuper... : (06 May 2014 - 09:12 PM) I think Jackson got a little full of himself. No matter how good you are at what you do you are going to have a boss. By all accounts he didn't grasp that.
@  rockets best... : (06 May 2014 - 08:42 PM) really bad move by GSW. depending on who they bring in could be disaster
@  Cooper : (06 May 2014 - 07:19 PM) Looks like Jackson is out of GS, he kinda got screwed they almost beat the clips without bogut.
@  feelingsuper... : (06 May 2014 - 05:27 PM) Harden ended up 5th in MVP voting, second year starting.
@  feelingsuper... : (06 May 2014 - 04:51 PM) I saw that, that's rough. Funny though.
@  majik19 : (06 May 2014 - 04:26 PM) Tmac tweeted last night that he had as many points and rebounds as Roy Hibbert last night.
@  08huangj : (06 May 2014 - 04:02 AM) Wow: Clippers are punishing the Thunder.
@  Cooper : (06 May 2014 - 02:45 AM) Not an exciting start to round 2
@  rockets best... : (04 May 2014 - 09:21 PM) they wouldn't be devoid of talent, but I think it would be 2 steps backward
@  miketheodio : (04 May 2014 - 09:18 PM) jonas, terrence ross, johnson, and derozan aren't terrible. lowry would be a hit, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.
@  rockets best... : (04 May 2014 - 08:19 PM) the raps are back to square one if they don't resign Lowrey
@  feelingsuper... : (04 May 2014 - 08:06 PM) Spurs look like like they might destroy Dallas today.

Photo

Short rotation is not a good playoff strategy

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 redfaithful

redfaithful

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:56 PM

Just checked the roster usage so far in the playoffs, and found that the two clear under-achievers have one thing in common - short rotations. The Rockets had only 7 players who played more than 30 minutes throughout the series, and the Bulls had 8 of those. All other teams have 9 or more (Nets have 11). And it wouldn't have been different if everyone played 7 games.

Does anyone have a good explanation why DMo didn't get even 2 minutes chance to defend LMA? Even get out there and foul him on every possession, so that Asik can play till the end of the game. Beyond my understanding.

#2 redfaithful

redfaithful

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:58 PM

Toronto also used only 8 players. My money on the Nets for the remaining 13.5 minutes, they're now up 11...

#3 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:00 PM

DMo probably angered Mchale. Who knows?

Why so Serious? :D

#4 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:10 PM

Dmo is the only one who didn't minutes that was probably worth a look, We could have used a backup 3.

#5 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,512 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:01 PM

Toronto also used only 8 players. My money on the Nets for the remaining 13.5 minutes, they're now up 11...

The clear difference in this playoff series was Brooklyn's experience. Toronto had a chance at a win with their last possession and down 1.

#6 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,512 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:08 PM

Does anyone have a good explanation why DMo didn't get even 2 minutes chance to defend LMA? Even get out there and foul him on every possession, so that Asik can play till the end of the game. Beyond my understanding.

Only reason I think that DMo didn't get an opportunity was (1) Asik and D12 guarding Aldridge was the best move and taking Terrance Jones out of the starting lineup to start Asik on Aldridge was one of several adjustments McHale made.

(2) Portland mostly played small ball the entire series. After Aldridge and Lopez, the next 2 bigs were T Robinson who only played 57 minutes and Freeland who only played 15 minutes spread out over 6 games. Freeland was in the game for one reason only, rebound and if unable to stop his opponent, just foul him.

Terrance Jones played 137 minutes and his playing time was cut after Asik took his place in the starting lineup except for Game 6. Game 6, Terrance Jones had 12 points, 13 rebounds, 2 blocks, 1 steal and 1 assist in 36 minutes. Pretty productive.

I do believe DMo would have gotten some burn in the 1st Round if the Rockets had been matched up with a different opponent. Portland with their short bench and reliance on small ball whenever one of Lopez or Aldridge was out of the lineup limited McHale. No way he's gonna put Motiejunas out there just to give him some burn and he's out there chasing smaller, quicker players. Just my opinion.

#7 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,342 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:22 PM

Dmo could've played small ball though. He has extremely good defensive footwork and he's proven to abuse shorter players on the offensive end with his Dmo hook, so I believe it was a mistake not giving him a few minutes, plus there's running joke on the dreamshake that Dmo might have "spiced" Mchale's coffee.

#8 PhillyCheese

PhillyCheese

Rookie

• Members
          • PipPip
          • 61 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:39 AM

Definitely DMo and Garcia should have seen more of the court, to get some fouls and give Asik/Howard and Chandler a rest.  The lack of coaching combined with few veterans on the floor led to many mental breakdowns.  The coaches see the players every day so obvously their opinions have more basis, but I can't help but question many of their decisions.  It seems there are a lot of questions from many other experts as well, so if this coaching staff missed something, it really is a head scratcher. 

Actually, maybe that is the problem.  It seemed like the team never got to practice sets , last minute plays, inbound plays - and maybe that is why the coaches got blinkered and missed many of the issues that outside experts spotted easily. 

Edited by PhillyCheese, 05 May 2014 - 12:42 AM.

#9 feelingsupersonic

feelingsupersonic

Officer

• Moderators
            • 1,878 posts
            • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:21 AM

I trust the organization.

Saying that I would have like to have seen some hard fouls from Motiejunas but then I wonder, does Morey and his number crunchers have stats that discourage those kind of enforcer type tactics. I believe Morey measures everything.

#10 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,342 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:17 AM

A foul is a foul. Your statement.. puzzles me.

#11 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 3,423 posts
              • Locationhouston

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:31 AM

@ Buckko

I disagree. there are regular fouls and then there are message fouls such as when a player drives to the hoop, he may have beaten his man but instead of giving up the easy two points the defensive man hard fouls the offensive player to discourage drives to the hoop. every team needs at least 1 or 2 goons to perform this job. Steven Adams is a perfect example.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users