Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  feelingsuper... : (17 January 2014 - 08:00 PM) Mike and Seth on 610AM just mentioned Justin Wehr's graph comparing Harden favorably to other greats.
@  Richards : (17 January 2014 - 02:38 PM) It seems some already threw white flags. Repeated losses don't rattle them anymore.
@  feelingsuper... : (17 January 2014 - 02:35 PM) I agree Drew. Years ago when I was more emotionally invested this loss would have devastated me. Really this is just part of them paying their dues, I agree with rocketrick in that it will strengthen them. The mention if Asik was not an excuse just a logical thing to mention considering how physical the second half was, Dwight was all alone down low.
@  Drew in Abilene : (17 January 2014 - 02:14 PM) Yes, Houston lost after leading by double digits, but this was against a very strong Thunder team on the second night of a back-to-back with key players injured. Still stinks to lose a winnable game, but I don't see cause for panic.
@  rocketrick : (17 January 2014 - 11:41 AM) This game will stiffen the Rockets backbone for future tussles headed our direction. But man, that was one ugly second half to have to witness in person!
@  Buckko : (17 January 2014 - 07:40 AM) Asik has been injured, and you can't use him as an excuse. We will get him back by the end of the month though.
@  miketheodio : (17 January 2014 - 06:41 AM) another blown double digit lead
@  feelingsuper... : (17 January 2014 - 05:23 AM) Perhaps Harden should have shot more to find his shot in the second half, to get it going. The Rockets sure could use a committed Asik, it's a shame what he did to this team.
@  feelingsuper... : (17 January 2014 - 05:20 AM) I agree, it's crazy. Seventy three in the first half and 19 in the second half.
@  thenit : (17 January 2014 - 05:15 AM) I know but scoring under 20 in second half is deflating
@  feelingsuper... : (17 January 2014 - 05:14 AM) Not entirely unexpected, this is a young team searching for an identity facing a team with a system in place. This won't happen next year.
@  thenit : (17 January 2014 - 05:00 AM) Deflating to watch
@  MrLobble : (17 January 2014 - 03:53 AM) DMOs trade value is flying like a penny stock!
@  thenit : (17 January 2014 - 03:50 AM) hopefully this will end our cold streak from 3s
@  thenit : (17 January 2014 - 03:50 AM) So happy for dmo
@  RocketMansin... : (17 January 2014 - 03:47 AM) Only fan from Altus Oklahoma but it feels good.. Hope the Rockets finish this game and get this one!
@  feelingsuper... : (17 January 2014 - 03:32 AM) Sure is good to see Harden being himself and making those good passes that are leading to good shots for his teammates.
@  Sir Thursday : (17 January 2014 - 02:56 AM) I don't think it's so much a bad vs. good thing. The way I see it, it's much easier to talk about change than it is to talk about something that stays the same. When the team is losing, people suggest improvements and changes to make the team better. But if a team is playing well there are no changes to suggest...
@  Buckko : (17 January 2014 - 01:59 AM) Honestly, its like that for everything, in general people are too busy focusing on the bad rather than to enjoy the good.
@  feelingsuper... : (16 January 2014 - 07:59 PM) I agree rocketrick, it always seems strange how quick many fans are to complain. I guess I have been watching to long to have much to complain about right now plus it's not my style. Each unto their own.

Photo

The Rockets Daily – January 15, 2013

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 835 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:05 PM

New post: The Rockets Daily – January 15, 2013
    By: mitchell felker

Half Way There - Ultimate Rockets broke down the good and the bad of the Rockets now and moving forward as the Rockets approach the midpoint of the season.  First, some of the good.

Quote:

3. Big ‘Three’: The Rockets might not have a Big Three that has marked many recent champions, but forward Chandler Parsons, playing the “three,” has emerged in his third season as the ideal third man in, ranking third among the Rockets in scoring, rebounding and assists, while bringing the ball movement and cutting to complement Howard and James Harden.

When other small forwards were having breakout performances last postseason (Kawhi Leonard and Harrison Barnes), it felt like Chandler Parsons was getting left out in the cold.  The Warriors were the bell of the ball due to beating a weak three seed (Denver) in the first round, and Leonard's performance in the Finals, while impressive, was just seven games.  I never saw "the future of the San Antonio Spurs" like so many countless pundits foresaw.  Meanwhile, against one of the NBA's toughest match-ups in Kevin Durant, the Hair saw nearly every one of his stat sheet numbers and percentages increase during the pressure of the playoffs.

Parsons' basketball acumen and overall skill-set could fit seamlessly on any roster in the league.  He's the perfect compliment to any number of systems, stars or coaches and it's time he got credit for something other than his team-friendly contract.

Of course, there were also negatives to point out.

Quote:

1. Bottom feeder blues: The Rockets won’t face the Jazz, Kings or Sixers in the playoffs, but the Rockets’ repeated letdowns against weak competition could be enough to cost a spot or two in seeding in the tight Western Conference for homecourt advantage.

This has been the biggest bugaboo for me so far this season.  The Rockets have a tendency to play down (but not always up) to their competition.  Maybe it was that the first part of the schedule was so compact, or maybe just working out the kinks of a new roster, but losses to bottom feeders almost feel like double-losses in the standings for a team needing every bit of help it can get in the ultra-competitive West.  Just one of those losses (right now) is the difference between hosting game one against the Clippers in the first round and having to play in LA.

He also discusses the struggles of the second unit, hampered even more by the Patrick Beverley injury, but we'll get into that more in just a few lines.

Speaking of which - Yahoo Sports' M. De Moor is pondering about the summer of 2012, and what would have happened had the Rockets chosen Goran Dragic over Jeremy Lin as their point guard of the future.

Quote:

At the time, I was of the belief that Dragic could have been Houston's long-term solution at point guard, which is something Morey is still searching for. Obviously, every situation doesn't translate perfectly, and you can't just compare Dragic's numbers to Lin's. But at this point I think it's clear that Dragic is a superior overall player. Dragic is a better ball-handler and floor general, while Lin's best attribute, his ability to slash and score, is only equal to Dragic's abilities as a scorer (although I'd argue that Dragic is a better scorer as well).

Where to start with this one? First off, I'd like to point out a few things.  Goran Dragic will be 28 years old by the time the playoffs start, whereas Jeremy Lin, who has shown improvement every year he's been in the Association, just turned 25 this August.  Also, I'd like to point out that while Dragic's numbers are impressive this year, he's played more minutes, taken many more shots and plays on a team where he is option 1a next to Eric Bledsoe's 1b.  And I would be remiss if I didn't point out that the Suns are 2-5 since Bledsoe hit the shelf.

Having said that, I won't argue that Dragic is the (slightly) better player just on the face of it.  He's a more complete as a point guard, and his shooting percentages are (again, only slightly) better than Lin's.  But as we all know, Morey-ball is built on three things: playing fast, shots in the restricted area and three pointers.  And as I noted in my very first Daily, very few players in the league can and do get to the rim like Jeremy Lin.  This not only creates efficient shots for Lin, but also frees up space for shooters behind the arc.

And yes, Dragic would be a superior choice over Lin as a sidekick for James Harden in the back court.  But with the continued emergence of Chandler Parsons as an offensive weapon, isn't a defensive ace that can shoot the preferred option in a league where point guard is the deepest position?  If Patrick Beverley can get healthy and return to the guy we remember from the OKC series last playoffs, starting point guard is not a concern for the Rockets.

I've always been a big believer in having a starting quality player come off the bench.  Someone who can get his own shot anytime he wants it, can get shots for other players and run an efficient offense when the starters sit.  One of the negative parts of the Rockets' season so far that Mr. Feigen pointed out from the previous piece was that the bench's shooting has gone in the dumps since Lin moved into the starting lineup.  As the Rockets' sixth-man, Lin's slash-and-kick style is ideal on a second unit with shooters like Francisco Garcia and Omri Casspi.  While I don't doubt that Dragic could run the Rocket's second unit, his fit next to Harden probably wouldn't require his doing so.  And that might seem silly, pointing out that Dragic would be too good to come off the bench for this team, while praising Lin's aptitude for running the second unit.  But that's just my point.  Lin provides all the things that Daryl Morey likes out of his (attacking) guards, and the fact that he happens to play on a team with James Harden is not his fault.

So yes, there is a very valid argument that Goran Dragic is the superior player to Jeremy Lin at the moment.  But with time on his side and Patrick Beverley's return imminent, Lin has a chance to move into his more natural role and make his own case.

Get Out and Vote - If you haven't done so already, be sure to cast your vote for all your favorite Rockets' players in this years' All Star game.

Currently, Jeremy Lin and James Harden sit fourth and fifth respectively in the backcourt, well behind Chris Paul at three.  But surprisingly, given the flack he takes for his image, Dwight Howard is second behind only Kevin Durant in the frontcourt voting.  Even more surprising is Omer Asik's inclusion at fourteen (14!!!), one spot behind (less-surprising) Chandler Parsons.  Both are just ahead of the Spurs' future, Kawhi Leonard.

#2 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
    • Pip
    • 35 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:20 AM

Hope the Rockets make a trade soon. Wanted C. Lee for our team; he and Mark Gasol (coming back from injury)makes the Grizz tough enough to pass many teams.....including ourselves. The GS Warriors made a trade today that make them the favorite (IMO). Don't blink or we might just see ourselves 7th or 8th. Time to put "all chips in" just like the Warriors just did.

Edited by Jatman20, 16 January 2014 - 01:21 AM.

#3 Cooper

Cooper

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPipPip
      • 849 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:12 AM

Warriors got better for sure but they still top out around the 4seed maybe 3 if Paul takes longer than expected to return. Lee and healthy Gasol helps the grizz but they have too much ground to make up with their lack of scoring to be in the top 5-6 seed conversation.

#4 Buckko

Buckko

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPipPip
        • 991 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:35 AM

You don't make a trade just to make a trade. Lee had a terrible contract and now Memphis can't compete for 7th seed with bledose out. Honestly GSW are living off of borrow time, you can't play Curry 40 minutes a game and hope for contending in the playoffs with his glass ankles. Injury prone players don't win championships, or contend much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users